Trump: I WILL WIN VIRGINIA IN 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:42:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Trump: I WILL WIN VIRGINIA IN 2020
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Trump: I WILL WIN VIRGINIA IN 2020  (Read 7454 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2020, 01:31:27 AM »

If Biden's the nominee, I think there's a chance Trump wins the popular vote. If Trump wins the popular vote, he has a good shot at flipping VA.

A president with an approval rating perpetually stuck in the low 40s and a "strongly disapprove" rating which is 10-12% higher than "strongly approve" is not going to win the popular vote.

Unfortunately, a popular vote loser can still win the electoral college, as we discovered in 2016.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2020, 01:40:03 AM »

When he only wins West Virginia, he'll claim he was right because he didn't specify which Virginia. And his base will cheer and say he was right again.

Yes, Trump should spend millions trying to win VA, but shouldn't worry about MI or WI. He has those states in the bag.

I'd be careful wishing that--Dems wished the same in PA/WI/MI in 2016 saying the same thing and look what happened.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2020, 10:16:36 AM »

You know people care about more than guns, is increase in the minimum wage, that McConnell has failed to produce, since he has a minimum wage Bill, on his desk from Speaker Pelosi. Trump said that he was open to raising the minimum wage, but obviously,  he is letting McConnell run the shots. The South has the lowest minimum wage and VA is a Federal govt state and should have, just like the North a 15 Minimum wage. That's why VA, OH and IA will vote D
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2020, 10:22:06 AM »

If Trump wanted to Virginia, he should have thought twice before shutting the government down for near a month and leaving government workers without payment. I mean come on. I feel like Biden is a weak opponent, and that Democrats likely will lose the presidency again, but if Trump gets overconfident and forgets about the Rust Belt states, which are his key to the presidency, Democrats will easily win. It's like he wants Democrats to win. Let's be real, aside of Sanders who has limited appeal because of ideology and age, there is no real strong opponent. People will only vote for #moderatehero Biden because he's not Trump, he's not like any other Democrat and he was VP under Obama's administration.
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2020, 11:21:58 AM »

Don't be ridiculous. Even she would win Virginia against Trump.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2020, 12:11:02 PM »

I agree mr president please spend a lot of time and resources there
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2020, 12:24:04 PM »

Trump is an unindicted criminal and the Crts already said he should be indicted while in office, VA don't like criminals
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2020, 12:26:06 PM »

Why is it with Republicans and wanting to win Virginia so badly?

The obsession almost seems to imply they've given up on the Rust Belt. VA & MN are the only 2 individual states Trump can flip while still carrying the EC if he loses WI/MI/PA; path of least resistance and all that.

Winning NH isn't enough. Winning ME isn't enough. Winning NV isn't enough. Winning CO isn't guaranteed to be enough (269-269). If they're worried about (or even writing off) MI & WI in particular, then MN is likely off the table as well, leaving only one "viable" choice.

538Electoral

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2020, 02:19:20 PM »

The obsession almost seems to imply they've given up on the Rust Belt. VA & MN are the only 2 individual states Trump can flip while still carrying the EC if he loses WI/MI/PA; path of least resistance and all that.

Winning NH isn't enough. Winning ME isn't enough. Winning NV isn't enough. Winning CO isn't guaranteed to be enough (269-269). If they're worried about (or even writing off) MI & WI in particular, then MN is likely off the table as well, leaving only one "viable" choice.

No way we've given up on the Rust Belt. We just think VA's 13 votes would look good in red.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2020, 02:34:00 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2020, 02:41:53 PM by President Griffin »

No way we've given up on the Rust Belt. We just think VA's 13 votes would look good in red.

Then why isn't he tweeting about how he's going to win Minnesota, which was closer and showed more promise based on 2016 trends? Ditto for Maine and New Hampshire. Nevada was considerably closer in 2016 as well, and even CO was a bit closer.

An obsession with VA implies either favorable trends developing (which we have yet to see in credible polling) or an absolute need based on expending as few resources as possible.
Troll and Sock Puppet. Delete my ACCOUNT!
thechosenwon
Rookie
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2020, 02:53:49 PM »

Incorrect. Trump could (and would) sooner flip NH and NV, while losing the Big Three, and still get to 270. This would happen before MN and VA randomly vote to the right of the Big Three.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2020, 02:55:23 PM »

Incorrect. Trump could (and would) sooner flip NH and NV, while losing the Big Three, and still get to 270. This would happen before MN and VA randomly vote to the right of the Big Three.

Read what I wrote carefully.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2020, 02:58:52 PM »

As a new Virginia voter, who has been studying in depth the politics, I will say Trump could come close but to actually carry the state without a left wing third party candidate is damn near impossible.

Demographics are horrible for the GOP in NoVA and too much government work dependency in the state.
SInNYC

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2020, 03:04:53 PM »

It makes sense to some degree (my god, did I just say Trump made sense?). Hillary was particularly well suited to VA (especially NoVA) even without Kaine, and then you add a slight Kaine effect. She was also poorly matched to the midwest, even the non rustbelt parts.  I fully expect some regression in VA in 2020, and even more so if Bernie is the nominee.

I know its popular  to count VA as solid blue, but these same people were talking about a blue wall including the upper midwest in 2016.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2020, 04:50:23 PM »

When he only wins West Virginia, he'll claim he was right because he didn't specify which Virginia. And his base will cheer and say he was right again.

Yes, Trump should spend millions trying to win VA, but shouldn't worry about MI or WI. He has those states in the bag.

I'd be careful wishing that--Dems wished the same in PA/WI/MI in 2016 saying the same thing and look what happened.

When the sum total of Trump's PV is greater than the PV for the Democrat in WV and VA added together, Trump can then declare victory and challenge WV's secession from VA in 1863.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2020, 04:59:49 PM »

As a reminder ME, VT, NH, VA, were Sununu, Scott, Collins are vulnerable and VA, Trump wants to pick up, they have the lowest minimum wage laws $7.25. Again, Bush W signed a minimum wage bill in 2007, under Pelosi, and Minimum wage hasnt been raised since at the Federal level

VA is a federal govt state and it should have a 15 minimum wage Bill. Trump said he was open to raising the minimum wage. FL has a minimum wage Bill as a ballot initiative too
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2020, 05:00:43 PM »

Possible, though not very likely. He would need NOVA suburbs to stay home in the case of Sanders. Otherwise, he cannot win there.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2020, 05:31:23 PM »

Possible, though not very likely. He would need NOVA suburbs to stay home in the case of Sanders. Otherwise, he cannot win there.
I think he could beat Buttigieg in VA maybe
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2020, 06:18:54 PM »

At least he's not saying California
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2020, 08:38:25 PM »

it's funny how in 2017 Atlas said Barbara Comstock could win again in 2018 but now Virginia (all of Virginia) is a blue state that is impossible for Trump to win against Sanders, even though a poll just came out a week ago showing Sanders losing to Trump in Virginia.  
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2020, 08:40:51 PM »

I think he could beat Buttigieg in VA maybe

Probably not.  Buttigieg would probably play a lot better in NoVa than Sanders would.  To win in Virginia Trump probably needs to face a really weak/far left candidate, so he has the best shot against Sanders or Warren.  Anyone who seems even reasonably moderate has a good chance against Trump.
redeagleofficial

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2020, 09:35:51 PM »

He will against Bernie.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2020, 10:23:45 PM »

Yes, but Bernie probably won't be the nominee.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2020, 11:28:12 PM »

The Republicans said the same thing after the abortion hysteria blew up in May '19. Virginia voted for stricter gun laws and that's what they're getting.
Troll and Sock Puppet. Delete my ACCOUNT!
thechosenwon
Rookie
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2020, 04:58:52 AM »

For a Virginia resident, you don't know much about your state. Bernie, in fact, is the candidate most likely to win the Democratic nomination at this point in time. Also, no Democrat will lose Virginia.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies