Iraq/Iran Megathread - Latest: U.S. to close Baghdad embassy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 09:59:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Iraq/Iran Megathread - Latest: U.S. to close Baghdad embassy
« previous next »
Thread note
Vigilabo ego sum vobis

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55
Author Topic: Iraq/Iran Megathread - Latest: U.S. to close Baghdad embassy  (Read 60527 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: January 14, 2020, 01:17:47 PM »

Well, that was unexpected.
Reaganfan Democrat
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1326 on: January 14, 2020, 01:18:49 PM »

I want to see Trump get cucked by the Senate.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1327 on: January 14, 2020, 01:19:18 PM »

Quinnipiac poll, Jan. 8-12, 1562 registered voters

Was killing Soleimani the right action to take?

Right action 45
Wrong action 41

Should Trump consult with Congress if he plans to launch more military strikes in the Middle East?

Yes 65
No 29

Impact of killing Soleimani on the safety of Americans:

More safe 32
Less safe 45
No impact 18

Woah, woah, woah. I'm pretty sure there was an Atlas thread that told me Americans totally supported the hit on Soleimani and we were all idiots for predicting otherwise. Clearly this is fake news.

Americans do support the strike. By four points. ??

This is the most supportive poll I've seen for Trump in this regard within the last week. Most poles, IRC, indicate Americans believe it was the wrong action.

Please correct me if I'm wrong
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1328 on: January 14, 2020, 04:59:33 PM »

This is the most supportive poll I've seen for Trump in this regard within the last week. Most poles, IRC, indicate Americans believe it was the wrong action.

47-40 support: https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/477276-poll-47-percent-approve-of-trump-strike-on-soleimani

So, roughly ~45-50% support the strike, (including me). It’s absolutely false that Americans oppose it. Now if you ask someone if the results of any Trump policy will be good or bad, it’s hardly surprising a large number would say bad. (The strange thing in all of this, and a little off topic, is that one of these two polls ALSO says less than 40% of Americans disapprove of his handling of the economy and 58% approve.)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1329 on: January 14, 2020, 05:00:27 PM »

47-40 support: https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/477276-poll-47-percent-approve-of-trump-strike-on-soleimani

So, roughly ~45-50% support the strike

LOL
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1330 on: January 14, 2020, 05:01:28 PM »

LOL

Besides the fact that two polls support what I just said, what are you laughing at?
Cinemark

« Reply #1331 on: January 14, 2020, 05:23:50 PM »

LOL

Besides the fact that two polls support what I just said, what are you laughing at?

I've seen four polls on this so far and I think the 47% is the highest so far, but its TheHill/Harris which tends to be one of Trump's best pollsters. YouGov and Ipsos were low 40% and Quinnipiac is 45%. In all four polls, a small plurality supported the strike, but not an actual majority.

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1332 on: January 16, 2020, 08:21:37 PM »

8 days later...

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1333 on: January 16, 2020, 10:49:31 PM »

8 days later...

So the administration lied about the casualty count...
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1334 on: January 17, 2020, 12:51:05 PM »

8 days later...

So the administration lied about the casualty count...

Should we be shocked that trump and his clownish administration lied to the American people?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1335 on: January 17, 2020, 10:10:25 PM »

Not completely, he's one of the less hawkish Republicans in the Senate.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1336 on: January 17, 2020, 10:32:40 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2020, 10:57:03 PM by R.P. McM »

I'm not even sure a Democrat winning in 2020 can fix this. But it makes it all the more urgent that a Democrat does win in 2020.

I think if it's determined that Trump has committed serious crimes, when he leaves office, we should consider turning him over to Tehran in exchange for a cessation of hostilities.

Nice for you to finally admit you want to see Trump dead.

Democrats: All outrage, all the time.
Leftists: Evil.

Yeah, this is what happens when you attempt to extort foreign interests in an effort to betray the rest of us. Why should I consider you or Trump a fellow countryman? I don't — you're my ENEMY, and rightfully so. You love a Nazi-praising, authoritarian, traitorous, racist sexual predator.

BTW, moderator: If we have to be censored when we accurately describe Trump as a Nazi-praising, authoritarian, traitorous, racist sexual predator, then I'm done. My account is deleted. We aren't going to play this stupid game where we have to make nice with white supremacists. We already saw that in the early-20th century, and it isn't going to happen again. Sorry.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1337 on: January 19, 2020, 01:59:02 AM »

Trump recounts minute-by-minute details of Soleimani strike to donors at Mar-a-Lago
President Trump recounted minute-by-minute details of the US strike that killed Iran's top military commander during remarks to high-dollar Republican donors at his South Florida estate, according to audio obtained by CNN.

Trump, speaking at a GOP fundraising dinner Friday evening, offered new details about the strike that killed Gen. Qasem Soleimani, which exacerbated tensions in the region and led to an ongoing dispute with Congress over his constitutional ability to wage war.

Cinemark

« Reply #1338 on: January 24, 2020, 12:42:01 PM »

34 Solders have been diagnosed with brain trauma.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/24/politics/34-injuries-iran-missile-strike/index.html?cid=web-alerts&nsid=73998634
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1339 on: January 24, 2020, 02:01:11 PM »

They're just headaches.
Trump Dismisses Troops’ Possible Brain Injuries as ‘Headaches’

Right, Republicans?
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1340 on: January 25, 2020, 06:33:51 AM »

Whoa!

Trump showed such a restrained behavior! So much for journos' fake news about Trump being "impulsive".

Now it is crystal clear even for his haters that he doesn't want a war.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #1341 on: January 26, 2020, 04:59:28 PM »

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #1342 on: January 26, 2020, 05:06:37 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1343 on: January 27, 2020, 09:19:21 AM »

I wonder if he would have ordered a retaliation if all this had been known at the time.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1344 on: February 16, 2020, 08:56:27 AM »

538Electoral

« Reply #1345 on: February 17, 2020, 09:56:33 PM »

Hopefully somehow the Afghan peace deal will do something to ease the crisis.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #1346 on: May 10, 2020, 09:24:24 PM »

Wow. Incredible looking back on this thread from the ruins of apocalyptic WW3. RIP to our men and women who lost their lives in the Amero-Russo-Iranio nuclear exchange  Sad
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1347 on: May 11, 2020, 05:17:24 PM »

Wow. Incredible looking back on this thread from the ruins of apocalyptic WW3. RIP to our men and women who lost their lives in the Amero-Russo-Iranio nuclear exchange  Sad
Oh the brawl is still going on, it just reverted to a warming Cold War with an uptick in proxy flexing from #bothsides
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1348 on: August 18, 2020, 05:03:25 PM »

And here's the motive for killing Solemani.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/17/politics/iran-taliban-bounties-us-intelligence/index.html

US intelligence agencies assessed that Iran offered bounties to Taliban fighters for targeting American and coalition troops in Afghanistan, identifying payments linked to at least six attacks carried out by the militant group just last year alone, including a suicide bombing at a US air base in December, CNN has learned.

"Bounties" were paid by a foreign government, identified to CNN as Iran, to the Haqqani network -- a terrorist group that is led by the second highest ranking leader of the Taliban -- for their attack on Bagram Air Base on December 11, which killed two civilians and injured more than 70 others, including four US personnel, according to a Pentagon briefing document reviewed by CNN.

The name of the foreign government that made these payments remains classified but two sources familiar with the intelligence confirmed to CNN that it refers to Iran.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1349 on: August 18, 2020, 06:56:21 PM »

And here's the motive for killing Solemani.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/17/politics/iran-taliban-bounties-us-intelligence/index.html

US intelligence agencies assessed that Iran offered bounties to Taliban fighters for targeting American and coalition troops in Afghanistan, identifying payments linked to at least six attacks carried out by the militant group just last year alone, including a suicide bombing at a US air base in December, CNN has learned.

"Bounties" were paid by a foreign government, identified to CNN as Iran, to the Haqqani network -- a terrorist group that is led by the second highest ranking leader of the Taliban -- for their attack on Bagram Air Base on December 11, which killed two civilians and injured more than 70 others, including four US personnel, according to a Pentagon briefing document reviewed by CNN.

The name of the foreign government that made these payments remains classified but two sources familiar with the intelligence confirmed to CNN that it refers to Iran.

Holy crap! It's sad that this stuff is getting buried by COVID-19. That's not to take away from the pandemic's obvious importance of course, but this kind of stuff should have at least a bit more visibility.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies