Iraq/Iran Megathread - Latest: U.S. to close Baghdad embassy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 09:38:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Iraq/Iran Megathread - Latest: U.S. to close Baghdad embassy
« previous next »
Thread note
Vigilabo ego sum vobis

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 55
Author Topic: Iraq/Iran Megathread - Latest: U.S. to close Baghdad embassy  (Read 60620 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: January 05, 2020, 02:02:43 PM »

For anybody who was under the impression that the Iranians mourning Soleimani were in the minority or being blown out of proportion by the media

It may be a majority but Iran is a country of over 80 million people so even a huge parade isn't proof of that.

True true.  Still, that's a pretty massive turnout. 

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #426 on: January 05, 2020, 02:03:36 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2020, 02:13:50 PM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Per the Associated Press: "Iran abandons nuclear deal over US killing general"

urutzizu
« Reply #427 on: January 05, 2020, 02:10:52 PM »

Per the Associated Press: Iran abandons nuclear deal

They already abandoned parts of it, but now they have killed of the remaining commitments. North Korea has basically been vindicated. It has taught all countries to never a make a peace deal with the US like the “iran deal". Never slow down on nukes.

North Korea is the only country that understood how you need to behave to survive US hegemony. It’s the mad dog strategy. Iran has now learned this hard way. And the result is that the Damage to nonproliferation that Trump has done with his Iran policy is irreparable, no matter who is elected in November.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #428 on: January 05, 2020, 02:20:52 PM »

Per the Associated Press: "Iran abandons nuclear deal over US killing general"

This, thanks entirely to the actions of the greatest negotiator president ever.

This has blown up in his face.  And our entire country is going to suffer because of it.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #429 on: January 05, 2020, 02:33:11 PM »

I haven't commented on this thread to now, but I'm going to say that this move by Trump is perhaps one of the greatest foreign policy blunders of his Administration. Now, this general, Soleimani, was a violent and detestable figure, and was responsible for inflicting real harm upon American interests in the Middle East and elsewhere. He is responsible-either directly or indirectly-for the deaths of thousands. Hence, I don't feel sorry that he met the fate that he did. Nevertheless, given the hostilities evident in the region, and the desire by many in this country to abstain from future entangling foreign wars, this decision will have negative repercussions for us, going forward.

Once again, Republicans are showing themselves to be the devoted faithful of the Church of Trump, as people such as Ben Sasse-an ostensible Never Trumper-are praising him fulsomely for this decision. I'm sure he is receiving accolades from the neo-conservative camp of Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Colin Powell, and their ilk, at least privately. Moreover, Republicans remain just as war-hungry and interventionist in their bent as before. The rise of Trumpism has done nothing to change that fact.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #430 on: January 05, 2020, 03:01:49 PM »

Protests erupt across American cities against a possible war
Groups of protesters took to the streets in Washington and other U.S. cities on Saturday to condemn the air strike in Iraq ordered by President Donald Trump that killed Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani and Trump’s decision to send about 3,000 more troops to the Middle East.

“No justice, no peace. U.S. out of the Middle East,” hundreds of demonstrators chanted outside the White House before marching to the Trump International Hotel a few blocks away.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #431 on: January 05, 2020, 03:01:56 PM »

Almost Anyone But Biden Or Trump (ABBoT but not Greg Abbott)
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #432 on: January 05, 2020, 03:03:40 PM »

Per the Associated Press: Iran abandons nuclear deal
North Korea has basically been vindicated. It has taught all countries to never a make a peace deal with the US like the “iran deal". Never slow down on nukes.

Indeed. I remember when the Iran nuclear deal was negotiated, I was very surprised by it. I had thought that Iran's various denials about wanting nukes were at least mostly propaganda, and that they would understand that actually having nukes was the only sure-fire way to deter Republican presidents from attacking them.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #433 on: January 05, 2020, 03:06:20 PM »

AND. HERE. WE. GO. I hate Donald Trump with every fiber of my being.
Almost Anyone But Biden Or Trump (ABBoT but not Greg Abbott)
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #434 on: January 05, 2020, 03:08:08 PM »

At least somebody is happy:

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #435 on: January 05, 2020, 03:10:16 PM »

For anybody who was under the impression that the Iranians mourning Soleimani were in the minority or being blown out of proportion by the media

It may be a majority but Iran is a country of over 80 million people so even a huge parade isn't proof of that.

If you go on Instagram, which is the most popular social media platform in Iran, you'll see people pretty fired up, including those who aren't wild about the regime itself.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #436 on: January 05, 2020, 03:24:58 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2020, 01:10:54 AM by R.P. McM »

Hold on, now, let's not wish death on people that disagree with us politically.  Trump voters drive me up the wall sometimes, but I certainly don't want them to be killed by a foreign power.  

The fact that you think the average Trump supporter is equal to the KKK is ignorant in every way possible and actually shows you are more intolerant than the average Trump supporter.

1960s George Wallace was far far more racist than Trump

By the way I know many Trump supporters and many of them are my friends and they are all good people and while I disagree with their opinions on Trump, voting for him doesnt make them bad people.

That's the sad thing about Trump supporters, even that share, which is frankly debatable whether or not it's a majority versus a very large minority, who aren't racist themselves. It includes members of my own family whom I love. While they may not be racist, or traitors, or corrupt individuals themselves, they're more than willing to support a President Who clearly is. When it comes to running the government of our country, they're willing to put their basic common sense and even personal integrity on the sidelines 2 support someone as president who lacks either. In short, it is heartbreaking that they will support a racist incompetent boorish vicious authoritarian corrupt anti-democratic president, because they would rather have that in the white house then a liberal Democrat.

In short, even if maybe half ish of trump supporters aren't racist, orally typical Suburban racist light, 100% of them choose party over country.

Exactly. I can either choose to believe that Trump supporters are themselves racist/authoritarian, or take solace in the fact that they aren't, they just hate people like me so much they'll enthusiastically embrace one. Which one of these possibilities am I supposed to find comforting?  
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #437 on: January 05, 2020, 03:25:40 PM »

Trump has done more for the unity of hardliners and moderates in Iran, hell even Sunnis and Shias in Iran and Iraq than anybody else.

See Hillary was wrong, he's a uniter not a divider!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #438 on: January 05, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »

The JCPOA is technically on life support rather than dead. I'm not confident the difference will ever matter.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #439 on: January 05, 2020, 03:41:07 PM »

I'm not even sure a Democrat winning in 2020 can fix this. But it makes it all the more urgent that a Democrat does win in 2020.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #440 on: January 05, 2020, 03:43:22 PM »

cc: Crazy Trump Tweets megathread
R.P. McM

« Reply #441 on: January 05, 2020, 03:45:19 PM »

AND. HERE. WE. GO. I hate Donald Trump with every fiber of my being.

Why? What's the point? It's like hating James Eastland in 1950 — which flavor of MS segregationist would you prefer? Well, Trump is a reflection of the people who put him in office. It's them you (we) truly hate.
R.P. McM

« Reply #442 on: January 05, 2020, 03:50:56 PM »

I'm not even sure a Democrat winning in 2020 can fix this. But it makes it all the more urgent that a Democrat does win in 2020.

I think if it's determined that Trump has committed serious crimes, when he leaves office, we should consider turning him over to Tehran in exchange for a cessation of hostilities.
Omega21

« Reply #443 on: January 05, 2020, 03:56:41 PM »

https://www.oe24.at/welt/Iranische-Miliz-schockt-mit-neuem-Droh-Video/411989876

Sorry, couldn't find it in English, came out 8-9 hours ago.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #444 on: January 05, 2020, 04:02:01 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2020, 04:07:25 PM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

"And perhaps in a disproportionate manner...."
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #445 on: January 05, 2020, 04:09:13 PM »

If Trump will start Third Gulf War until November, I think no Democrat will win in 2020. John and Jane Does from rural regions of Rust Belt or Arizona will feel highly patriotic and turn out for Trump, just like  Bush vs. Kerry in 2004. But Democrats will benefit from that situation in bigger picture. Mark my words: if Trump will attack Iran or Iraq, Democrats no matter what gain Senate in 2022 and presidency in 2024 and even in 2028 (if the candidate will be good).

Third Gulf War will also score off Trump's legacy in foreign policy, because he was elected and people still support him because he hasn't attacked or invaded any other country.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #446 on: January 05, 2020, 04:13:04 PM »

Am I the only one who believes that our president sounds like a Psychotic, Lunatic Dictator who is looking to start a horrible war?
WTF is this?
Cinemark

« Reply #447 on: January 05, 2020, 04:14:51 PM »

If Trump will start Third Gulf War until November, I think no Democrat will win in 2020. John and Jane Does from rural regions of Rust Belt or Arizona will feel highly patriotic and turn out for Trump, just like  Bush vs. Kerry in 2004. But Democrats will benefit from that situation in bigger picture. Mark my words: if Trump will attack Iran or Iraq, Democrats no matter what gain Senate in 2022 and presidency in 2024 and even in 2028 (if the candidate will be good).

Third Gulf War will also score off Trump's legacy in foreign policy, because he was elected and people still support him because he hasn't attacked or invaded any other country.

Absolutely not. This isnt 2003. Trump does not have the support to start a war, and what support he does have will dry up if and when people start dying.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #448 on: January 05, 2020, 04:21:30 PM »

Absolutely not. This isnt 2003. Trump does not have the support to start a war, and what support he does have will dry up if and when people start dying.

You overestimate the intelligence of the average voter.
Cinemark

« Reply #449 on: January 05, 2020, 04:24:08 PM »

You overestimate the intelligence of the average voter.

You don't realize how traumatic the Iraq War was to the American psyche.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies