2020 New York Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 08:27:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 New York Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 85
Author Topic: 2020 New York Redistricting  (Read 106253 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: May 04, 2022, 06:41:44 PM »

Again, you reassert a claim that is simply false. Class action suits feature "damaged classes" that aren't identified in the census all the time. If Orthodox Jews are entitled to relief, a claim that I have noted is novel and has never been litigated, but, does seem to have merit potentially, then showing a relief map exists is not a real problem. The various Jewish synogogues know who their members are, and, could provide a list without a problem, for instance.

Further, we all know which neighborhoods are Orthodox Jewish. When you see a bunch of the men wearing the same very antiquated Polish fashion you know. The Courts know this.  Everybody knows this.

Your position is not merely self-serving and wrong. It is immoral. What you are arguing is that employers could discriminate against any class not identified in the census, for instance.

They already can,  in most states you can be fired for being gay without any legal consequence for the employer for example. 

Did you forget Bostock?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1276 on: May 04, 2022, 06:43:51 PM »

Again, you reassert a claim that is simply false. Class action suits feature "damaged classes" that aren't identified in the census all the time. If Orthodox Jews are entitled to relief, a claim that I have noted is novel and has never been litigated, but, does seem to have merit potentially, then showing a relief map exists is not a real problem. The various Jewish synogogues know who their members are, and, could provide a list without a problem, for instance.

Further, we all know which neighborhoods are Orthodox Jewish. When you see a bunch of the men wearing the same very antiquated Polish fashion you know. The Courts know this.  Everybody knows this.

Your position is not merely self-serving and wrong. It is immoral. What you are arguing is that employers could discriminate against any class not identified in the census, for instance.

They already can,  in most states you can be fired for being gay without any legal consequence for the employer for example. 
That is no longer true after Bostock v. Clayton County.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1277 on: May 04, 2022, 07:09:11 PM »

One of these things is not like the others
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1278 on: May 04, 2022, 10:24:03 PM »

That is no longer true after Bostock v. Clayton County.

In fairness Bostock doesn't apply for businesses below 15 people, as well as for public accommodations, etc.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1279 on: May 05, 2022, 06:57:53 AM »

By the way this is underdiscussed, but the legislature really gave the middle finger to Sean Patrick Maloney. They drew him a Biden +3 district in their proposal which is even worse than the current seat. Really the only way to draw a worse district is to do the East Bank district and then draw the Orange+Rockland district.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1280 on: May 05, 2022, 10:50:20 AM »

https://www.cityandstateny.com/politics/2022/05/redistricting-chaos-support-grows-consolidating-all-new-york-primary-elections-august/366527/

Seems that now that Democrats are on path to lose the federal case, they will likely consolidate the primaries.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1281 on: May 05, 2022, 11:06:51 AM »

By the way this is underdiscussed, but the legislature really gave the middle finger to Sean Patrick Maloney. They drew him a Biden +3 district in their proposal which is even worse than the current seat. Really the only way to draw a worse district is to do the East Bank district and then draw the Orange+Rockland district.

Tbf, it’s hard to give him a much bluer seat without it coming at someone’s expense or being too blatant.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1282 on: May 05, 2022, 11:07:53 AM »

Tbf, it’s hard to give him a much bluer seat without it coming at someone’s expense or being too blatant.

I mean most maps other than Empire State have a better map for Maloney. I can imagine Maloney wanting to be a "team player" to some degree but I can't imagine him wanting such a sh**tty proposal for him.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1283 on: May 05, 2022, 11:11:57 AM »

I mean most maps other than Empire State have a better map for Maloney. I can imagine Maloney wanting to be a "team player" to some degree but I can't imagine him wanting such a sh**tty proposal for him.

Empire literally makes his seat like Biden + 15 lol however the map overall is a light R gerry and tried to hurt Jones and Delgado
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1284 on: May 05, 2022, 11:14:20 AM »

Empire literally makes his seat like Biden + 15 lol

Well that does double bunk him with Mondaire Jones who would be favored as the D base has a strong Westchester lean there. So he might have to carpetbag to the Biden +1 Rockland/Orange seat.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1285 on: May 05, 2022, 11:22:26 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2022, 11:25:28 AM by ProgressiveModerate »

Well that does double bunk him with Mondaire Jones who would be favored as the D base has a strong Westchester lean there. So he might have to carpetbag to the Biden +1 Rockland/Orange seat.

Ye long term a stacked Central Valley config is better for Dems than an east west for this reason, especially since Rockland/Orange has been a mixed bag when it’s come to recent political shifts.

I still wouldn’t bet on Jones being favored though in any race against Maloney.

The Empire map is prolly overall the worst for Dems. The Dunn map is simillar in many ways though
kwabbit

« Reply #1286 on: May 05, 2022, 11:37:08 AM »

Ye long term a stacked Central Valley config is better for Dems than an east west for this reason, especially since Rockland/Orange has been a mixed bag when it’s come to recent political shifts.

The Empire map is prolly overall the worst for Dems. The Dunn map is simillar in many ways though

The Hudson valley had strong shifts to Trump in 2016 and then swung to Biden more than any region other than Metro Atlanta in 2020. It’s hard to tell the future of the region politically. I could see Republicans winning a Biden +15 seat easily in 2022, given that that same seat was Clinton +5 and there isn’t demographic change going nor is it that educated.

Then Molinaro demolished Cuomo too as house Dems hugely overperformed. Upstate NY is low key one of the most idiosyncratic regions of the country.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1287 on: May 05, 2022, 11:38:12 AM »

The Hudson valley had strong shifts to Trump in 2016 and then swung to Biden more than any region other than Metro Atlanta in 2020. It’s hard to tell the future of the region politically. I could see Republicans winning a Biden +15 seat easily in 2022, given that that same seat was Clinton +5 and there isn’t demographic change going nor is it that educated.

Then Molinaro demolished Cuomo too as house Dems hugely overperformed. Upstate NY is low key one of the most idiosyncratic regions of the country.

I highly doubt it would be an easy win but I could see a possible win.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1288 on: May 05, 2022, 11:48:20 AM »

It’s also relatively depolarized compared to many regions of the country. Hopefully we’ll get a lot of swing seats upstate.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1289 on: May 05, 2022, 01:26:25 PM »

Is Stephen Dunn Torie?
https://vhdshf2oms2wcnsvk7sdv3so.blob.core.windows.net/thearp-media/documents/Stephen_Dunns_Resp._Letter_to_Court_5.4.22.pdf
leaving only the far western edge of Putnam County in
NY-18, in order to cause the NY-18 incumbent to still reside in his district, who lives on the Hudson
River in the town of Cold Springs. Very naughty that, and illegal.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1290 on: May 05, 2022, 01:54:12 PM »

Is Stephen Dunn Torie?
https://vhdshf2oms2wcnsvk7sdv3so.blob.core.windows.net/thearp-media/documents/Stephen_Dunns_Resp._Letter_to_Court_5.4.22.pdf
NY-18, in order to cause the NY-18 incumbent to still reside in his district, who lives on the Hudson

Wouldn’t be shocked lol. I feel like I’m all honestly all maps submitted not by an organization are atlas users
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1291 on: May 05, 2022, 01:58:48 PM »

Is Stephen Dunn Torie?

Yes, because the paper uses the phrase "chops" and not "splits" like literally everyone else.

Dead giveaway (not that I like outing people on anonymous forums).

I actually ran into this when I submitted maps on the Oregon website, it requires your name be displayed and I almost posted the map on the forum, luckily I caught myself and stopped a few seconds short of posting the map in the Oregon thread.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1292 on: May 05, 2022, 02:00:57 PM »

Btw, does anyone know how to submit commentary to the NY court? might be a cool thing to do.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1293 on: May 05, 2022, 02:09:52 PM »

Btw, does anyone know how to submit commentary to the NY court? might be a cool thing to do.

You can submit through efiling online. I’ll send it when I get home from school
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1294 on: May 05, 2022, 02:26:32 PM »

Is Stephen Dunn Torie?

Yes, because the paper uses the phrase "chops" and not "splits" like literally everyone else.

I actually ran into this when I submitted maps on the Oregon website, it requires your name be displayed and I almost posted the map on the forum, luckily I caught myself and stopped a few seconds short of posting the map in the Oregon thread.

If Dunn isn't Torie, he seems likely to lean R based on how he defends basically every R possible decision (2 Trump seats in South Brooklyn, Central Valley reconfig, ect). From what I've seen it seems like most Rs or R leaning group maps tend to rely heavily on the Orthodox argument for their districts.

Overall though the Dunn proposal 3 is prolly the best of the "R leaning maps" from a COI and compactness perspective.

Reguardless of whether this is Torie's map or not, I would be curious to know his actual irl leanings and general personality.

Can you guess which map is mine lol? (I don't mind being outed)
kwabbit

« Reply #1295 on: May 05, 2022, 02:44:59 PM »

Is Stephen Dunn Torie?

If Dunn isn't Torie, he seems likely to lean R based on how he defends basically every R possible decision (2 Trump seats in South Brooklyn, Central Valley reconfig, ect). From what I've seen it seems like most Rs or R leaning group maps tend to rely heavily on the Orthodox argument for their districts.

Overall though the Dunn proposal 3 is prolly the best of the "R leaning maps" from a COI and compactness perspective.

Reguardless of whether this is Torie's map or not, I would be curious to know his actual irl leanings and general personality.

Dunn is absolutely Torie. He gives the same arguments as he has in this thread. Torie is also known to live in Hoboken, NJ and as Nyvin says uses chops instead of splits.

I believe Torie used to be a moderate Republican from New York City, so it’s not surprising that he has a soft spot of the NY GOP and is willing to draw them a favorable map.

His map isn’t an R gerrymander by any means. I think it’s hard to detach one’s idea of fairness from the existing map, which does carve up a potential compact South Brooklyn district. Any map that draws the Black areas of Brooklyn into White hipster yuppie Brooklyn instead of White ethnic, Jewish, and Chinese Brooklyn will arrive with a SI swing seat and a Safe R (by 2020 pres) south Brooklyn. Either is reasonable. The latter achieves proportionality if that’s the target though.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1296 on: May 05, 2022, 02:49:28 PM »

I would reccomend avoiding your park slope staten island district, It was a fine enough map but it is important to note the Democratic maps were struck down as partisan ferrymanders and that was one of the reasons they were sued under.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1297 on: May 05, 2022, 05:06:09 PM »

Is Stephen Dunn Torie?

Dunn is absolutely Torie. He gives the same arguments as he has in this thread. Torie is also known to live in Hoboken, NJ and as Nyvin says uses chops instead of splits.

I believe Torie used to be a moderate Republican from New York City, so it’s not surprising that he has a soft spot of the NY GOP and is willing to draw them a favorable map.

His map isn’t an R gerrymander by any means. I think it’s hard to detach one’s idea of fairness from the existing map, which does carve up a potential compact South Brooklyn district. Any map that draws the Black areas of Brooklyn into White hipster yuppie Brooklyn instead of White ethnic, Jewish, and Chinese Brooklyn will arrive with a SI swing seat and a Safe R (by 2020 pres) south Brooklyn. Either is reasonable. The latter achieves proportionality if that’s the target though.

Also can confirm he is by looking at Torie's profile (don't mean to be creepy).

Also his map isn't really an R gerrymander; none of the maps submitted thus far are full on gerrymanders other than arguably Dem map. His map is justifiable by all means, as are pretty much all the submitted maps. There is more than one "justifiable configuration", his just happens to be one that creates more R seats.
kwabbit

« Reply #1298 on: May 05, 2022, 05:17:19 PM »

I don't think Torie is too attached to online anonymity haha. If he was he wouldn't be so open about his life. 
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1299 on: May 05, 2022, 05:23:57 PM »

Is Stephen Dunn Torie?

Also his map isn't really an R gerrymander; none of the maps submitted thus far are full on gerrymanders other than arguably Dem map. His map is justifiable by all means, as are pretty much all the submitted maps. There is more than one "justifiable configuration", his just happens to be one that creates more R seats.

I mean his map uses a normal elsewhere whole county configuration for Long Island. Almost certain Republicans would not want that.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies