2020 New York Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 12:28:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 New York Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 85
Author Topic: 2020 New York Redistricting  (Read 105897 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: April 26, 2022, 06:41:38 PM »

]I can't find it in the Constitution itself. Where the F is it? And it makes no sense. If the legislature cannot reject the commission maps by more than 2% solution (you can't even get high on that anemic percentage), it has been castrated. We seem to live in a clueless, disingenuous, irrational madhouse.

I don't think it is in the Constitution, just that Session Law. IIRC, there was an argument before the 4th Department from one of the Dem lawyers that because it wasn't in the constitution, a subsequent legislature wasn't bound by it, and by passing what they did, they invalidated it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1026 on: April 26, 2022, 06:48:54 PM »

]I can't find it in the Constitution itself. Where the F is it? And it makes no sense. If the legislature cannot reject the commission maps by more than 2% solution (you can't even get high on that anemic percentage), it has been castrated. We seem to live in a clueless, disingenuous, irrational madhouse.

I don't think it is in the Constitution, just that Session Law. IIRC, there was an argument before the 4th Department from one of the Dem lawyers that because it wasn't in the constitution, a subsequent legislature wasn't bound by it, and by passing what they did, they invalidated it.

How is that different from a mere statute trumping the Constitution?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1027 on: April 26, 2022, 09:54:31 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2022, 10:23:30 PM by ProgressiveModerate »

Here is a map simillar to the one someone posted earlier but this time with a full NYC. It is 22-4. 2 of the R seats would be competitive as well as a few Dem seats. A map like this would be hard to argue against.

The Asian opportunity seat argument for NY-11 is smart

https://davesredistricting.org/join/0347f91a-b6aa-4198-aecb-fb6b924e5c81

To me by the way the justices were questioning, Garcia seems likely to find the map guilty whereas Garcia, Troutman, and Wilson seem to be leaning to leaving the map in place or at least giving the leg a second shot.

The others didn't really question much.

This map is sorta Florida style in that it's largely clean and has justifiable COIs, however, quite a few seats could fall in a bad year for Dems. However, by and large they should usually win over 20 seats when it matters.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1028 on: April 26, 2022, 10:23:29 PM »

I don't know - but the leg should be bound by its own statutes - or at least the act of repealing them should say something about intent

Justice Garcia, in his questioning, seems to have indicated that he thinks that the legislature getting rid of the 2% requirement is itself evidence of partisan intent. I'd be very surprised if he didn't rule to strike down the Congressional map. He might even go one step further and strike down the State Senate map on the procedural argument.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1029 on: April 27, 2022, 07:52:27 AM »

I don't know - but the leg should be bound by its own statutes - or at least the act of repealing them should say something about intent

Justice Garcia, in his questioning, seems to have indicated that he thinks that the legislature getting rid of the 2% requirement is itself evidence of partisan intent. I'd be very surprised if he didn't rule to strike down the Congressional map. He might even go one step further and strike down the State Senate map on the procedural argument.

Yes, I agree. And none of the justices took the time to defend the map's legality. Much of the questioning, particularly Garcia, was for the benefit of the other judges.

My guess is that the legislature will get until April 30 to cure, perhaps a tad later, with maybe the the RC having a chance to submit maps to the Legislature if it wants, and perhaps if those deadlines are blown, to submit maps to the Special Master or in tandem.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1030 on: April 27, 2022, 08:27:16 AM »

Yes, I agree. And none of the justices took the time to defend the map's legality. Much of the questioning, particularly Garcia, was for the benefit of the other judges.

My guess is that the legislature will get until April 30 to cure, perhaps a tad later, with maybe the the RC having a chance to submit maps to the Legislature if it wants, and perhaps if those deadlines are blown, to submit maps to the Special Master or in tandem.

None of the questioning was really on the map itself but more what to do if the map is deemed illegal as well as what even qualifies as illegal beyond reasonable doubt  - not sure what to make of that exactly.

Garcia seems like the most likely to overturn but it seems if the map is overturned it’d go back to the leg. We’ll see how questioning today goes.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1031 on: April 27, 2022, 01:06:53 PM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1032 on: April 27, 2022, 01:08:33 PM »

No DeSantismander either for D's.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1033 on: April 27, 2022, 01:11:11 PM »

What are options for d's here?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1034 on: April 27, 2022, 01:12:16 PM »

Pathetic! After what happened in Florida, Ohio, Utah, and Wisconsin. Republicans go for the jugular and Democrats just roll over.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1035 on: April 27, 2022, 01:12:23 PM »

None for 2022 effectively.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1036 on: April 27, 2022, 01:14:19 PM »

Dems should appeal to SCOTUS and get them to say it's too late. Don't roll over!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1037 on: April 27, 2022, 01:15:06 PM »

Dems should appeal to SCOTUS and get them to say it's too late. Don't roll over!

The primary is already delayed by the way, and the NC GOP tried the same.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1038 on: April 27, 2022, 01:16:36 PM »

Then Dems should threaten to impeach the court! I don't care what they have to do!!!!!!! This map must be used in 2022!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1039 on: April 27, 2022, 01:20:17 PM »

Ouch they even lost on the senate map, which even the "R hack" Stueben County judge didn't strike down. Eerily similar to Florida's 2010 case.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1040 on: April 27, 2022, 01:21:32 PM »

PACK THE COURT
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #1041 on: April 27, 2022, 01:22:08 PM »

Smile
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1042 on: April 27, 2022, 01:22:41 PM »

Andrew Cuomo and his consequences have been a disaster for the human race.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1043 on: April 27, 2022, 01:24:49 PM »

Sorry for posting so much in this thread, but Dems need to figure out something ASAP. This is unacceptable!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1044 on: April 27, 2022, 01:31:05 PM »

Hopefully these rogue activist judges are impeached for flagrantly betraying their oath of office in this sad, pathetic effort to bolster their Smiley #ModerateHero Smiley credentials.  Every judge who voted to strike down these maps deserves to be disbarred, but alas, we live in an imperfect world where people don’t always get what they deserve.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1045 on: April 27, 2022, 01:33:18 PM »

Sorry for posting so much in this thread, but Dems need to figure out something ASAP. This is unacceptable!

New York is going to have good and fair maps for 2022 and you're going to have to suck it up! Cheesy
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1046 on: April 27, 2022, 01:35:08 PM »

New York is going to have good and fair maps for 2022 and you're going to have to suck it up! Cheesy

It had fair maps, the court just struck them down Roll Eyes
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #1047 on: April 27, 2022, 01:37:05 PM »

Honestly given NY's constitution probably the correct ruling. Lets see if Florida's Supreme Court is as impartial (I have my doubts).

That having been said the whole system is broken. Florida, which Trump won by 2.5 points, will net Republicans more seats than New York, which Biden by 23, will net Democrats.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1048 on: April 27, 2022, 01:40:28 PM »

Well, as we know a snake from the Upper West Side to Borough Park is perfectly fair and rational
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1049 on: April 27, 2022, 01:41:52 PM »

Well, as we know a snake from the Upper West Side to Borough Park is perfectly fair and rational

Surprisingly that district by in itself could be constitutional under the keeping cores of district together as its there on the current map.  Surprised D's didn't try to pull that argument especially as the current map isn't a gerrymander.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 85  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies