🇵🇹 Portugal's politics and elections 2.0
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:02:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇵🇹 Portugal's politics and elections 2.0
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 93
Author Topic: 🇵🇹 Portugal's politics and elections 2.0  (Read 149972 times)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: February 14, 2021, 07:38:56 AM »
« edited: February 17, 2021, 10:18:32 AM by Mike88 »

Controversy in Lisbon regarding the renovation of the Imperial Square gardens: Former President Ramalho Eanes trashes the plans of Lisbon city hall and says that without an Empire, Portugal would be a "Catalonia".

Ramalho Eanes: "If it weren't for the empire, we would be a Catalonia".

For some months now, the discussion of the renovation of the Imperial Square in Lisbon, that would remove the Imperial coats of arms in the garden, has created a lot of controversy within and outside Lisbon city hall. Lisbon city wants to renovate the square but the rightwing opposition, PSD/CDS, and other personalities are totally against the renovation. The plan is already approved and works in the Square are due to start in some weeks, but petitions are growing in order to stop the renovation. Now, former President Ramalho Eanes (1976-1986), has come public and trashed the plan accusing the "festive left" of trying to erase the "memory of the past". He adds that some parts of the left don't have any respect for the history of the country. He continues to say that if Portugal didn't had an Empire, we wouldn't be able to maintain our independence and we would be a "minor Catalonia". Lisbon mayor, PS Fernando Medina, says the controversy in ridiculous as some of the coat of arms, in the gardens, are already not in the square for years
Flyersfan232

« Reply #1051 on: February 14, 2021, 11:06:44 AM »

I hope for their own sake that CDS manage to sack Chicão but at the same time they don't make it easy at all to root for their survival

Yes, "Chicão" is very incompetent and everything he does and says seems amateur and weird. Just look at his derange speech in the party's council: (in his speech he says he's calm and serene... yeah.. sure)

However, I don't know if Adolfo Mesquita Nunes can revive the CDS, as the party is currently, well, useless. The CDS was always that party on the right that congregated all the people who believe the PSD was too centrist: the Liberals and the Conservatives. After the arrival of IL and CHEGA, CDS had nothing to offer these voters and even some of the moderates are now going to the PSD. Plus, if Mesquita Nunes is successful in winning the leadership, what will he do? Follow the strategy of Assunção Cristas, where Mesquita Nunes was her deputy, that gave the lowest share ever for CDS? Or goes with a Liberal strategy? Frankly, I don't know. We'll see.

I don't have much to add, except that it's very disappointing (yet very predictable) that the new government is doing exactly what the old one was accused of. Azores will be Azores I guess.

Also very predictable to see Ventura doing clownery for attention but that's not even worth mentioning at this point. In any case, now that the government has fulfilled its primary purpose of ending 24 years of PS rule I am not too invested in its continuation. Tongue

Like I said to Battista, it's a cultural thing Crals. It's not just in the Azores. But, the finger pointing between PS and PSD on this matter, reminds me of that spiderman meme with the two pointing to each other. Cheesy
dissolve?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1052 on: February 14, 2021, 11:11:56 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2021, 11:16:01 AM by Mike88 »

It's something discussed by pundits and analysts. The liberal faction would go to IL, the conservatives for CHEGA and what rests of the "establishment" of the party goes to the PSD. But, it's complicated and unlikely. The most probable scenario is CDS having a slow and painful decline in the next few years, if, of course, if CHEGA and specially IL become permanent parties on the right.

Currently, the strategy of the CDS leadership, after winning the confidence vote, is that all of this attention/publicity to the party, could be beneficial for the parties prospects. Like the saying goes: "There's no bad publicity, just publicity". Curiously, the latest poll by Eurosondagem has CDS surpassing PAN, which hasn't happen in a while.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1053 on: February 14, 2021, 02:56:23 PM »

Controversy in Lisbon regarding the renovation of the Imperial Square gardens: Former President Ramalho Eanes trashes the plans of Lisbon city hall as says that without an Empire, Portugal would be a "Catalonia".

Hilarious comment, if not snarkily vicious considering that there are elections in Catalonia just today and I am sure Ramalho Eanes is well aware of that.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1054 on: February 14, 2021, 03:07:40 PM »

Controversy in Lisbon regarding the renovation of the Imperial Square gardens: Former President Ramalho Eanes trashes the plans of Lisbon city hall as says that without an Empire, Portugal would be a "Catalonia".

Hilarious comment, if not snarkily vicious considering that there are elections in Catalonia just today and I am sure Ramalho Eanes is well aware of that.
Maybe he was aware of it, but I believe his point is that Portugal would be weak and would ultimately be a part of Spain without an Empire. I have my doubts about that, but it's a valid point nonetheless. On a side note, it would be interesting to see how the Portuguese electorate sees the Catalonia Independent movement. There's no polling about it, and there seems to be no interest at all about it also.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1055 on: February 14, 2021, 06:03:53 PM »

Maybe he was aware of it, but I believe his point is that Portugal would be weak and would ultimately be a part of Spain without an Empire. I have my doubts about that, but it's a valid point nonetheless. On a side note, it would be interesting to see how the Portuguese electorate sees the Catalonia Independent movement. There's no polling about it, and there seems to be no interest at all about it also.

Yeah that would be interesting. I have no idea what kind of support it would get except for the fact that CHEGA voters are likely all against it (side note: does CHEGA have any sort of close relationship with VOX?)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1056 on: February 14, 2021, 06:25:51 PM »

Yeah that would be interesting. I have no idea what kind of support it would get except for the fact that CHEGA voters are likely all against it (side note: does CHEGA have any sort of close relationship with VOX?)
They don't have that big of a relationship, IMO. CHEGA invented  a "meeting" between Ventura and Abascal last year, that was denied by Vox and it was an embarrassment for CHEGA. But, during the 2021 Presidential campaign, Abascal wasn't invited, at least what is public, to campaign with Ventura. Only Le Pen and Salvini were invited.

My hunch about what the Portuguese think about the Catalonia movement is that, they don't care, to be honest. However, I think it's almost unanimous that any kind or troubles and divisions in Spain are bad for Portugal, as Spain is our biggest economic partner. Like we say here: "When Spain sneezes, Portugal catches a cold." So, we may don't care about what's happening in Catalonia, but any thing that creates troubles for Spain, would hit us in the face also. The government avoids talking about the issue and doesn't want to hear anything about.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1057 on: February 16, 2021, 09:18:49 AM »

New Judge President of the Constitutional Court, João Caupers, is in hot waters after it was revealed he wrote in 2010 that he is "revolted" by the promotion of homosexuality:

TC. New president revolted by "gay lobby" and "promoting homosexuality".

The new Judge President of the Constitutional Court, João Caupers, elected last week, is in hot waters today as it was revealed, by the media, a paper he wrote in 2010 saying he's revolted by the promotion of homosexuality adding that they are no elite, just a minority tolerated by the heterosexual majority and that the "Gay lobby" is an expressionless minority amplified by the media. He finishes the paper by saying that while a member of the heterosexual majority, though respecting homosexuals, he's not willing to be "tolerated by them".

This text is creating a lot of controversy and Judge Caupers has already responded by saying the 2010 paper was just a "pedagogical instrument" to provoke students using caricature words and comparing somewhat abusive ideas. He adds that the ideas on the paper do not reflect his real beliefs.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1058 on: February 16, 2021, 12:04:41 PM »

Resignation in Lisbon city hall due to irregular vaccinations: Civil Protection councillor, Carlos Castro, resigns after it was revealed he, and other 8 Lisbon civil protection staff, were vaccinated with leftovers from nursing homes vaccines.

Politics - Lisbon City Councilor resigns after controversy with Covid vaccines.

Last week it was revealed that Lisbon city councillor for Civil protection, Carlos Castro, and 8 other civil protection agents in the capital's city hall, were vaccinated with the leftovers from vaccines used in nursing homes. In this controversy, 126 vaccines were leftover and 26 were given to several city hall staff like those who manage syringes stocks. The other 100 were given to people in the 1st phase of vaccination. The opposition, after this was revealed, demanded the resignation of the councillor and Mr Castro has tendered his resignation today, which was accepted by Lisbon mayor, Fernando Medina (PS). A new councilor, Miguel Gaspar, will now take over the civil protection portfolio, and Lisbon city hall says that the situation will be investigated by the authorities.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1059 on: February 17, 2021, 06:53:17 AM »

2021 local elections: Controversy with a dinner meeting between Rui Moreira's campaign and the PSD.

Rui Moreira does not reject a PSD support but only as an independent

During yesterday, the media reported that several meetings and a dinner between high PSD leadership members and Rui Moreira's, mayor of Porto, campaign were held to discuss a possible run of Rui Moreira with the support of the PSD. Allegedly, the PSD wanted Rui Moreira to run with the party's banner, but his campaign refused and only accepts the "support" of the PSD. However, the PSD denies they asked Moreira to run with the party's banner and that the idea actually came from Moreira's campaign, adding that Moreira's campaign even suggested including PSD members in the lists. Rui Moreira's campaign says they are sorry the meeting became public, but adds that they never suggested a PSD list head by Moreira and they he will run as an independent. They are, however, open to accept support from other parties.

The PSD candidate for Porto city is dividing the party. Some want the party to support Moreira, while others, like the leadership of PSD-Porto, want to present it own candidate. Because Moreira's electorate is basically all of the PSD electorate in Porto city, many argue that it would be better for the party to support him. However, relations between the PSD and Moreira have always been very bad, with Moreira and Rui Rio currently having a personal feud between them.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1060 on: February 17, 2021, 11:25:21 AM »

New Judge President of the Constitutional Court, João Caupers, is in hot waters after it was revealed he wrote in 2010 that he is "revolted" by the promotion of homosexuality:

TC. New president revolted by "gay lobby" and "promoting homosexuality".

The new Judge President of the Constitutional Court, João Caupers, elected last week, is in hot waters today as it was revealed, by the media, a paper he wrote in 2010 saying he's revolted by the promotion of homosexuality adding that they are no elite, just a minority tolerated by the heterosexual majority and that the "Gay lobby" is an expressionless minority amplified by the media. He finishes the paper by saying that while a member of the heterosexual majority, though respecting homosexuals, he's not willing to be "tolerated by them".

This text is creating a lot of controversy and Judge Caupers has already responded by saying the 2010 paper was just a "pedagogical instrument" to provoke students using caricature words and comparing somewhat abusive ideas. He adds that the ideas on the paper do not reflect his real beliefs.

Has this "explanation" been widely accepted?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1061 on: February 17, 2021, 02:47:10 PM »

Has this "explanation" been widely accepted?
Of course not, obsiously. He's being mocked for being caught in his own crap, literally. It was also reported that when he was chosen as a judge for the Court, in 2014, he warned the other judges that he had written some serious, other light and foolish papers, that could be a problem, but no one cared. Now, it's out there.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1062 on: February 17, 2021, 04:18:27 PM »

Another controversy: Petition to deport activist Mamadou Ba reaches more than 15,000 signatures, after Mamadou Ba called a Colonial War veteran who died last week as "bloodthirsty".

Nearly 15,000 people demand deportation of activist Mamadou Ba.

As I write this post, the actual number is above 22,000, rather than the 15,000 this morning. Anyway, a petition is demanding that activist Mamadou Ba be deported from Portugal due to his comments about the death of a Colonial War veteran. Mr Ba criticized the CDS vote of sorrow for the death of Marcelino da Mata, the most condecorated military officer in the history of the Portuguese army, and said that Marcelino da Mata was a "bloodthirsty" military, adding that Marcelino da Mata would rather "cut the testicles" and watch pro-independence fighters in the the colonies die than report them to the Secret Police (PIDE). The funeral of Marcelino de Mata had State honours with the presence of President Marcelo and several high profile army generals. After the statements of Mr Ba were known, parties on the right started to demand consequences for his words. CDS wants Mr Ba out of the SOS Racism organization, while CHEGA is going to file a complaint to the DA office.

The petition will probably be heard in Parliament as any petition with more than 4,000 signatures can be accepted and discussed in a Parliamentary committee, or discussed by parties in the floor of Parliament.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1063 on: February 18, 2021, 01:15:30 PM »

President Marcelo has sent the Euthanasia bill to the Constitutional Court:

Marcelo sends euthanasia law to the Constitutional Court.

President Marcelo has sent to the Constitutional Court the bill that legalizes the practice of euthanasia in Portugal. The President says he has Constitutional doubts about the bill explaining that (the bill) "uses excessively indeterminate concepts, in defining the permission requirements for the decriminalization of medically assisted death". The bill will now be analysed by the 13 judges of the Court.

Parties are starting to react to the President's decision: PS says they await with "calm and serenity" the verdict of the Court, while CDS says the President did the right thing and that the law creates a lot of "doubts". BE reacted by saying the bill has no unconstitutional issues.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1064 on: February 19, 2021, 07:03:44 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2021, 09:06:45 AM by Mike88 »

Intercampus poll for CM newspaper/CMTV:

Vote share %:

37.6% PS (-0.4)
24.7% PSD (+0.6)
  8.2% BE (-0.9)
  7.3% CHEGA (-1.8 )
  5.8% CDU (+0.1)
  5.6% IL (+1.8 )
  3.1% PAN (-0.5)
  2.7% CDS (+0.4)
  0.7% Livre (+0.5)
  0.7% Others (+0.1)
  3.6% Invalid/Blank (nc)

Popularity ratings: (in a scale between 0 and 5)

3.1 António Costa (-0.3)
2.9 Rui Rio (-0.2)
2.7 Catarina Martins (-0.2)
2.7 João Cotrim Figueiredo (+0.3)
2.6 André Silva (-0.1)
2.4 Jerónimo de Sousa (-0.2)
2.3 Francisco Rodrigues dos Santos (-0.1)
1.9 André Ventura (-0.2)

Poll conducted between 8 and 13 February 2020. Polled 609 voters. MoE of 3.90%.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1065 on: February 20, 2021, 07:21:18 AM »

How is Portugal handling COVID?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1066 on: February 20, 2021, 07:30:27 AM »

Constitutional Court: PS accuses PSD of breaking the "gentlemen's agreement" between the 2 parties with the election of a new Judge President.

“PS was used to PSD fulfilling agreements”, shoots Ana Catarina Mendes on Caupers

The PS is very upset with the election of judge João Caupers as President of the Constitutional Court and is accusing the PSD of not following the "gentlemen's agreement" between both parties in the rotation of the Presidency of the Court. The previous president was a PSD appointee and now it was the PS turn. Although judge Caupers is a PS appointee and close to the party, the Socialists wanted judge José João Abrantes as President but, according to the PS, the PSD didn't persuade the 6 judges nominated by PSD/CDS, to vote one way or another. The PS accuses the PSD of breaking the deal and that they were accustomed of the PSD "fulfilling agreements". The PSD leader, Rui Rio, responded to this accusation, in a tweet, saying the PSD doesn't pressure judges in any form, but that the PS seems to work and think like that.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1067 on: February 20, 2021, 07:38:49 AM »

This 3rd wave was a complete and total disaster in terms of handling. The decisions were taken very late, with a lot of back and forwards and, in the beginning, mid January, many people disrespecting the rules because they changed very quickly. There was a lot of governmental indecision like, for example, in the decision of closing schools. Right now, things are much better, cases and deaths are dropping a lot, and the vaccination plan seems to be back on the rails after a trainwreck start. There a still some controversies like the lack of staff to track infection contacts, and the government not presenting a plan to open the country by late March.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1068 on: February 20, 2021, 08:42:27 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2021, 12:46:22 PM by Mike88 »

2021 local elections: Ombudsman says the change in the electoral law is unconstitutional, and Rui Rio and Rui Moreira are in a "catfight" currently.

BREAKING NEWS| Ombudsman requires inspection of the constitutionality of the local electoral law - RTP Notícias

The Ombudsman, Maria Lúcia Amaral, has ruled that the change in the local elections electoral law is unconstitutional and that it should be reviewed. She has already sent the law to the Constitutional Court for review. Ms Amaral says the change of the law, in June 2020 with the support of PS and PSD, forbids a group of citizens of presenting candidacies to all levels of local government which violates two fundamental rights: the right of participation in public and political life and the right of citizens to be involved in promotion and safeguard of their your interests. She adds that the change in the law is a setback compared to the 1997 law that allowed the candidacy of Independents for mayors. The PS says they made a mistake in passing the bill, adding they didn't had time to read it properly and are open to changes. The PSD is also open to changes in the bill.

And here enters the current "catfight" between PSD leader Rui Rio and Porto's mayor Rui Moreira:

Rui Moreira responds to Rui Rio's  criticism and accuses him of lying.

In an interview to Observador newspaper, Rui Rio was asked about the ongoing controversy surrounding a possible PSD support of Rui Moreira's reelection campaign. Rio responded by saying the PSD will never support Moreira's campaign and added that Rui Moreira isn't a very trustworthy person and that he has been warning people of that for a while now. He also said that Moreira lied about the so-called dinner between some PSD members and Moreira's campaign staff and that his real estate dealing are a another reason for not supporting him. Moreira responded back to Rui Rio, accusing him of also being a liar and that Rio should have another way of being in politics. The feud between these two goes on and on. In fact, Rio was a crucial "unofficial" support for Moreira win in the 2013 election in Porto as Rio refused to support the then PSD candidate, his nemesis in the party, Luís Filipe Menezes. But, then, egos created a feud between Rio and Moreira and Rio even made peace with Filipe Menezes in 2019. A real soup opera.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1069 on: February 20, 2021, 01:01:27 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2021, 01:10:59 PM by Mike88 »

PS MP Ascenso Simões suggests the demolition of the Padrão dos Descobrimentos in Lisbon in the wake of the controversial vote of sorrow for the death of a Colonial war vet:

PS MP defends demolition of the Monument to the Discoveries

In an opes for Público newspaper, entitled "Salazarism did not die", PS MP Ascenso Simões defends that the Padrão dos Descobrimentos in Lisbon should be demolish because if statues of Salazar were destroyed after 1974, the Padrão dos Descobrimentos should be destroyed because it's also a symbol of the dictatorial regime. In his opinion text, he goes on to say that Portugal never had a real empire and that all of it was a construction of the Salazar regime to perpetuate the myth of the Portuguese purpose. Another controversial part of the text is when he acknowledges that there should have been blood and deaths in the 25 April 1974 revolution, but to Observador newspaper, Mr Simões says he didn't mean literally real deaths, but an actual cut with the past to transform society. This opinion piece is creating a lot of controversy. Mr Simões was one of 3 PS MPs that voted against the vote of sorrow for the death of Colonial War vet Marcelino da Mata in Parliament.

Ascenso Simões is a very controversial figure within the PS as he has been involved in several controversies like last year he had a dispute with a police officer that almost ended in him being detained, and regularly insults and trashes a lot of people in his twitter page.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1070 on: February 21, 2021, 05:34:57 AM »

I think Marcelo did the right thing with regards to euthanasia.
I would not expect the Constitutional Court to throw out the bill though.

The controversy between Rui Rio and Rui Moreira is almost hilarious. Since I've read that the former is the previous mayor of Porto, it looks to me a bit like he is trying to control his city's politics from the outside in a sense. Anyway, as the phrase goes: let them fight.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1071 on: February 21, 2021, 09:49:31 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2021, 05:38:59 PM by Mike88 »

I think Marcelo did the right thing with regards to euthanasia.
I would not expect the Constitutional Court to throw out the bill though.

The controversy between Rui Rio and Rui Moreira is almost hilarious. Since I've read that the former is the previous mayor of Porto, it looks to me a bit like he is trying to control his city's politics from the outside in a sense. Anyway, as the phrase goes: let them fight.

A ruling on the bill is expected during mid March, but the the outcome is uncertain. Many Constitutionalists argue that the bill could collide with some constitutional points like the inviolability of human life, plus there is a 7 judge majority with conservative values: 6 PSD/CDS judges and the newly elected Judge President João Caupers. We'll see what the Court says, but I say it's uncertain for now.

About the Rio vs Moreira feud, yeah, you're right about Rio wanting to have some say on Porto city's politics but the issue is that both are very popular in the city. Rio won Porto city in the 2019 elections, and Moreira is poised to win by a landslide this fall. Their feud is only personal, but of course it has implications in the PSD because, obviously, Rio is the leader and imposes his will, but Moreira has a lot of support within the PSD and even some of Rio's deputies are very close to Moreira.

Rio is prone to make a lot of enemies and that's why he's not popular for half of the PSD, because many of his fiercest enemies are in fact PSD members . If Rio had also a feud with Costa, many in the PSD would tolerate him, but Rio has a good relation with Costa which makes many of his critics, within the PSD, accuse him of being "Costa's crutch".
Flyersfan232

« Reply #1072 on: February 21, 2021, 05:34:45 PM »

i see chega leader likeing some of vox social media pages. and chega leader did campagin with meloni of brother of italy who party is apart of the ecr with vox.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1073 on: February 21, 2021, 05:55:55 PM »

i see chega leader likeing some of vox social media pages. and chega leader did campagin with meloni of brother of italy who party is apart of the ecr with vox.

CHEGA and Vox may have some links, on social media, but overall, there seems to be not a big proximity between both, as one would think because Portugal and Spain are like "sister" countries. Ventura never campaign with Meloni, from what I'm aware. He did campaign with Le Pen, which he is very close, and was to campaign with Salvini but that was canceled due to the Italian political crisis. Ventura is also close to Salvini. Also, CHEGA is member of ID not ECR, which makes him closer to Le Pen/Salvini, rather than Meloni/Abascal.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #1074 on: February 21, 2021, 06:00:34 PM »

CHEGA and Vox may have some links, on social media, but overall, there seems to be not a big proximity between both, as one would think because Portugal and Spain are like "sister" countries. Ventura never campaign with Meloni, from what I'm aware. He did campaign with Le Pen, which he is very close, and was to campaign with Salvini but that was canceled due to the Italian political crisis. Ventura is also close to Salvini. Also, CHEGA is member of ID not ECR, which makes him closer to Le Pen/Salvini, rather than Meloni/Abascal.
i swear i saw a photo of ventura and meloni some where and isnt vox only in the ecr because of lega having tieds to regionals parties?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 93  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies