Impeachment Megathread Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 04:00:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Impeachment Megathread Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 78
Author Topic: Impeachment Megathread Part 3  (Read 77310 times)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: January 27, 2020, 05:53:04 PM »
« edited: January 27, 2020, 05:57:37 PM by 👁👁 »

This whole thing about a supposed "deal" for witnesses is a non-starter & non-sequitur. Republicans have more than 50 votes in the Senate. If they want to call Hunter Biden or whoever and make a mockery out of themselves and the proceedings, there is nothing stopping them from doing that, and it doesn't depend on Democrats at all.

Moreover, there has been nothing stopping them from doing that since the start. So if they actually wanted to do so, one would think that they would have done so already (hint - they don't actually want that, they are just using it as a scare tactic and to try to distract from the facts of the case about what Trump did).

Moreover, they can also call whoever they want to testify before committees. There is nothing stopping Lindsay Graham or whatever committee chairs from calling whoever they want to testify before Congress.

None of that depends on Democrats or Democratic votes, and the idea that it does is ludicrous.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #826 on: January 27, 2020, 06:04:37 PM »

This whole thing about a supposed "deal" for witnesses is a non-starter & non-sequitur. Republicans have more than 50 votes in the Senate. If they want to call Hunter Biden or whoever and make a mockery out of themselves and the proceedings, there is nothing stopping them from doing that, and it doesn't depend on Democrats at all.

Moreover, there has been nothing stopping them from doing that since the start. So if they actually wanted to do so, one would think that they would have done so already (hint - they don't actually want that, they are just using it as a scare tactic and to try to distract from the facts of the case about what Trump did).

Moreover, they can also call whoever they want to testify before committees. There is nothing stopping Lindsay Graham or whatever committee chairs from calling whoever they want to testify before Congress.

None of that depends on Democrats or Democratic votes, and the idea that it does is ludicrous.

They are against it. But... The idea is that if there will be any witnesses, then both sides should be able to choose whoever they think are relevant.

For the sake of fairness, of course  Angry
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #827 on: January 27, 2020, 06:08:46 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2020, 06:13:13 PM by Hindsight is 2020 »

The thing that really gets me about both the Senate Republicans and posters like Russian Bear and Meclazine position on calling Hunter is how transparently bad faith it all is. Like say Hunter is guilty of of doing shady stuff in Ukraine that doesn’t absolve Trump of what he did. But they don’t care; the goal is to drag Hunter in front of the public and air all of his dirty launder to push both a massively bad faith “Trump was legitimately concerned about corruption” talking point and a cynical “everyone sucks so Trump shouldn’t be held accountable” argument. None of the grips they have with Hunter is legitimate grievances considering the crap they have tolerated from Trump be it hiding his taxes, the dozens of stories of diplomats using Trump businesses to gain favor, and don’t forget the nepotism from Jared, Ivanka, and Junior that make Hunter look like an anthill
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #828 on: January 27, 2020, 06:11:17 PM »

The more Pam Bondi and Eric Herschmann talk about Hunter Biden, the uglier this gets for Joe Biden's campaign.

If we get witnesses, the murky world of Hunter, and hence Joe Biden, will be laid bare.

Yeah! Look at this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/as-vice-president-biden-said-ukraine-should-increase-gas-production-then-his-son-got-a-job-with-a-ukrainian-gas-company/2019/07/21/f599f42c-86dd-11e9-98c1-e945ae5db8fb_story.html
WaPo: As vice president, Biden said Ukraine should increase gas production. Then his son got a job with a Ukrainian gas company.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/07/08/will-hunter-biden-jeopardize-his-fathers-campaign
New Yorker: WILL HUNTER BIDEN JEOPARDIZE HIS FATHER’S CAMPAIGN?.
Joe Biden’s son is under scrutiny for his business dealings and tumultuous personal life

Trump should be impeached if he did NOT want to investigate this shady stuff (obvious corruption if you ask me)!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #829 on: January 27, 2020, 06:18:19 PM »

Trump should be impeached if he did NOT want to investigate this shady stuff (obvious corruption if you ask me)!

Then HE SHOULD DO IT LEGALLY. 

Pardon the shout, but you have evidently not heard this the first 10 times that I and others have said it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #830 on: January 27, 2020, 06:23:40 PM »

Also it's well sourced that Trump didn't care if Hunter were actually investigated or not, just that the announcement was made to hurt Joe's campaign. So that whole argument from the Trump side is a dud.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #831 on: January 27, 2020, 06:24:53 PM »

Pardon the shout, but you have evidently not heard this the first 10 times that I and others have said it.
See my post above his. When you realize it’s all done in bad faith and trolling then you see why they don’t engage on the substance. Most of them know he’s guilty but they don’t care and are just throwing out bs to find a talking point that sticks. For god sakes the person they had on senate floor attacking Hunter for his Ukraine dealings was the former Florida AG who dropped a Trump foundation fraud case and then got $25,000 in political donations from Trump himself shortly after. That should tell you how serious they are about “Hunter’s “corruption”
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #832 on: January 27, 2020, 06:25:44 PM »

I like it.  It will never happen, but I like it.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #833 on: January 27, 2020, 06:26:26 PM »

If Marco Rubio doesn't vote for witnesses he's pretty much a complete punk.

I actually think Lyin' Ted and Lil' Marco won't vote in favor of bringing in witnesses. Those spineless cowards are worse than Trump in some ways, especially Mr. 'Constitutionalist' Cruz.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #834 on: January 27, 2020, 06:27:09 PM »

They are against it. But... The idea is that if there will be any witnesses, then both sides should be able to choose whoever they think are relevant.

For the sake of fairness, of course  Angry

They have a majority in the Senate. They can do whatever they want, the Dems have no way to stop it. If they want to call Hunter Biden + John Bolton to testify, they can do that and there is nothing the Dems can do to stop them. They don't need any assistance from the Dems to do so, they have the majority and can do so regardless of whatever the Dems may or may not think about it.

So either let them do that, or let them not. But the idea that it depends on the Dems is absurd.

If the GOP wants to do it, they will, if they don't then they won't - it is entirely up to them.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #835 on: January 27, 2020, 06:34:33 PM »

MSNBC.com

Lead host journalist starts Impeachment reporting conversations with:

"What do you think about the irrelevance of the Republicans arguments today?"

This guy is a mad supporter of the Democrats. Sad media coverage with foregone conclusions, but no initial story for people to make their own mind up.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #836 on: January 27, 2020, 06:35:21 PM »

Also it's well sourced that Trump didn't care if Hunter were actually investigated or not, just that the announcement was made to hurt Joe's campaign. So that whole argument from the Trump side is a dud.

No, it is not.

It is what the trial is about, isn't it? If the way Trump did it was illegal/impeachable or not.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #837 on: January 27, 2020, 06:37:57 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #838 on: January 27, 2020, 06:47:06 PM »

No, it is not.

It is what the trial is about, isn't it? If the way Trump did it was illegal/impeachable or not.

The non-partisan GAO concluded that it was NOT legal to withhold the aid.  But you know  that, and as others have said, you are repeating this stuff in bad faith.  I'll waste no more of my time trying to engage with you in good faith.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #839 on: January 27, 2020, 07:04:38 PM »

Let's make a deal.  Democrats agree to show up wearing underwear on their heads for the remainder of the year.  In return Republicans will allow Democrats to call relevant witnesses.

Hurr durr if the witnesses are so important why don't the Democrats take this deal hurr durr
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #840 on: January 27, 2020, 07:22:48 PM »

Erm, it was done legally. No one is debating legality Jesus Christ.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #841 on: January 27, 2020, 07:28:54 PM »

Erm, no it wasn’t
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #842 on: January 27, 2020, 07:29:03 PM »

No, it is not.

Yes it is, it was directly part of Sondland's testimony and all references to the investigation just have Trump calling for a public announcement by Ukraine.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #843 on: January 27, 2020, 07:30:14 PM »

"Done legally" would've been pursuing the issue within the DOJ,  not pressuring a foreign leader to make a public announcement by withholding aid money.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #844 on: January 27, 2020, 07:33:50 PM »

Aaaand we have reached the "I know you are but what am I?" stage of the argument.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #845 on: January 27, 2020, 07:42:36 PM »

"Done legally" would've been pursuing the issue within the DOJ,  not pressuring a foreign leader to make a public announcement by withholding aid money.

Not to mention completely circumventing the US's legal attache in Ukraine by asking Zelensky to work directly with his personal lawyer.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #846 on: January 27, 2020, 08:42:15 PM »

Alan Dershowitz just KILLED the Democrats case in one sentence.

A Quid Pro Pro is (even if there is one) is not an impeachable offense. Period!

GAME OVER MISTER SCHIFF

You couldn't read the Constitution, lousy Adam!
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #847 on: January 27, 2020, 08:44:50 PM »

GAME OVER MISTER SCHIFF

Ummm yes it total is especially in a corrupt context
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #848 on: January 27, 2020, 08:52:02 PM »

Sen ERNST: "IA caucuses are this next Monday evening. And I'm really interested to see how this discussion today informs and influences the Iowa caucus voters, those Demcaucus goers. Will they be supporting VP Biden at this point?"

IE - The goal of Senate Republicans is to produce a political hit job on Biden during the investigation...Great job Ernst.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #849 on: January 27, 2020, 08:56:26 PM »

GAME OVER MISTER SCHIFF

Anything "can be" an impeachable offense.   There's no legal definition of "impeachable offense".   Congress can impeach someone for wearing mismatched clothes or anything they want, as long as they can get the votes for it.

Blanket statements from attorneys on matters of opinion don't mean anything.   
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies