Ohio redistricting thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:48:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Ohio redistricting thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 63
Author Topic: Ohio redistricting thread  (Read 90053 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: March 01, 2022, 02:13:49 PM »

Frankly, if a state Supreme Court strikes down a map, they should be required to draw a replacement.

Yes, but sometimes they don't have the power/authority to do so and must jump through hoops to get there. And Ohio has finally hit that point. Onto the special masters it is.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1076 on: March 01, 2022, 02:15:54 PM »

Are we sure that the Congressional map will now need to be redrawn in 4 years? I've seen some legal interpretation that may only apply to the legislative maps.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1077 on: March 01, 2022, 02:17:58 PM »

Frankly, if a state Supreme Court strikes down a map, they should be required to draw a replacement.

None of this crap.

They literally can't draw a legislative map.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1078 on: March 01, 2022, 02:20:57 PM »

Anyway Changes from Original map as its close enough

Toledo I think is 1 point more D.

Akron seat is 2 more points for Biden and a few more points D downballot like Clinton/Cordray numbers.

Cinci seat is Biden +1 to Biden +8.

Columbus seat is Trump +5 to Trump +7. Note the seat was ugly before but not entirely for partisan reasons. It was just to let Carey keep representing the rich banks in the center of the county.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1079 on: March 01, 2022, 02:31:20 PM »

Anyway Changes from Original map as its close enough

Toledo I think is 1 point more D.

Akron seat is 2 more points for Biden and a few more points D downballot like Clinton/Cordray numbers.

Cinci seat is Biden +1 to Biden +8.

Columbus seat is Trump +5 to Trump +7. Note the seat was ugly before but not entirely for partisan reasons. It was just to let Carey keep representing the rich banks in the center of the county.

I mean the fact that there barely were changes should be proof enough the commission GOP would never play ball and the court will need to see their own order to conclusion.

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1080 on: March 01, 2022, 03:13:44 PM »

Wtf is that 15th?

And obviously, they kept the ever-so logical Lorain to Mercer district.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1081 on: March 01, 2022, 03:51:56 PM »

It's like a middle finger to the court.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1082 on: March 01, 2022, 04:18:33 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2022, 09:05:12 PM by lfromnj »

Wtf is that 15th?

And obviously, they kept the ever-so logical Lorain to Mercer district.

Lazily drawn leftover gerrymander. Could just go South for only a 1 point loss in partisanship but it just seems like it takes the left overs of the Dayton district, Troy, and Jordan's seat. Entire map just seems basically a complete refusal to draw anything.
kwabbit

« Reply #1083 on: March 01, 2022, 08:27:35 PM »

If they're going to draw a D-trending Biden +8 seat, why not just draw the fair Cinci configuration? Cincinatti and Warren was the most obvious flaw of the first map, but they basically just kept it.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1084 on: March 01, 2022, 08:40:54 PM »

If they're going to draw a D-trending Biden +8 seat, why not just draw the fair Cinci configuration? Cincinatti and Warren was the most obvious flaw of the first map, but they basically just kept it.

Because this isn't a serious proposal. In the games of state power, it appears to be more beneficial to recognizably die on a hill preserving incumbent seats - Chabot's and Jordan's for example - rather than cooperate with the court and be the one who has to tell some members they may need to go home or run against each other. Far more simple to get an outsider from the court to do that move.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1085 on: March 01, 2022, 09:01:01 PM »

What's the likely change in the composition at the state level and the game of play for the federal level given that they have two weeks?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1086 on: March 02, 2022, 12:18:31 AM »

Why canta the OH GOP draw a normal map. They’ve had so many chances
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1087 on: March 02, 2022, 12:42:29 AM »

So how long will the court map be valid for
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #1088 on: March 02, 2022, 11:10:30 AM »

Wow, these scum Republicans on the commission have no intention of drawing a compliant map. I wish nothing but horrible things on them.
UncleSam

« Reply #1089 on: March 02, 2022, 11:27:45 AM »

Wow, these scum Republicans on the commission have no intention of drawing a compliant map. I wish nothing but horrible things on them.
Really lol

Where was this outrage for Illinois Dems

This is so over the top it’s kinda hilarious
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1090 on: March 02, 2022, 11:36:35 AM »

Really lol

For the umpteenth time, Illinois Democrats didn't even break the law, let alone flagrantly violate court orders multiple times.
UncleSam

« Reply #1091 on: March 02, 2022, 11:43:25 AM »

Really lol

For the umpteenth time, Illinois Democrats didn't even break the law, let alone flagrantly violate court orders multiple times.
Sigh

You can see the exact same outrage in the NC thread if you like, where Rs did not break the law because the law is the exact fking same as it is in IL, just there are partisan actors posing as ‘judges’ on the State Supreme Court. So no this is not a valid response. We all know that the outrage is centered solely on R gerrymanders and it’a basically proven to me that both sides just want maps to be biased in their favor and that Ds do not have the moral high ground on this one the way I thought they did.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1092 on: March 02, 2022, 11:48:27 AM »

Really lol

Sigh

You can see the exact same outrage in the NC thread if you like, where Rs did not break the law because the law is the exact fking same as it is in IL, just there are partisan actors posing as ‘judges’ on the State Supreme Court. So no this is not a valid response. We all know that the outrage is centered solely on R gerrymanders and it’a basically proven to me that both sides just want maps to be biased in their favor and that Ds do not have the moral high ground on this one the way I thought they did.

What is the point of having elections if every result is predetermined via gerrymandering?

I do not defend Dem gerrymander's either. The ones in IL and NY are prone to back firing.
kwabbit

« Reply #1093 on: March 02, 2022, 04:50:37 PM »

Because this isn't a serious proposal. In the games of state power, it appears to be more beneficial to recognizably die on a hill preserving incumbent seats - Chabot's and Jordan's for example - rather than cooperate with the court and be the one who has to tell some members they may need to go home or run against each other. Far more simple to get an outsider from the court to do that move.

I know it's not a serious proposal, but if it isn't, why are they even changing the Cincinnati + Warren seat. They kept it ugly but made the partisanship worse for them.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1094 on: March 02, 2022, 04:54:39 PM »

Really lol

Sigh

FYI IL legislative districts are supposed to be reasonably compact according to the state constitution.

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1095 on: March 02, 2022, 05:14:45 PM »

I know it's not a serious proposal, but if it isn't, why are they even changing the Cincinnati + Warren seat. They kept it ugly but made the partisanship worse for them.

By drawing a true Hamilton district seat would be gone, so they attempt to placate the court (which we all know this is headed) by arguing they made the Cincy seat more Democratic without likely losing the seat.  Chabot is entrenched enough that he likely holds a Biden +8 seat this year, and  would have a decent chance of winning in 2024 even if it is a similar environment to 2020
kwabbit

« Reply #1096 on: March 02, 2022, 05:38:25 PM »

By drawing a true Hamilton district seat would be gone, so they attempt to placate the court (which we all know this is headed) by arguing they made the Cincy seat more Democratic without likely losing the seat.  Chabot is entrenched enough that he likely holds a Biden +8 seat this year, and  would have a decent chance of winning in 2024 even if it is a similar environment to 2020

I think he would be probably lose in a 2020 environment in 2024. He's a decent incumbent, but he only won by 4pts more than Trump. Especially since his district would be much different than his current one, so I doubt his overperformance would be as strong.

I think the GOP should've drawn a Clermont + Cincinnati + R parts of Hamilton. It looks less gerrymandery than CIN + Warren, and more R as well.

Wenstrup is a stronger incumbent than Chabot too, so he would've had a good chance to keep the seat.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1097 on: March 02, 2022, 05:44:19 PM »

By drawing a true Hamilton district seat would be gone, so they attempt to placate the court (which we all know this is headed) by arguing they made the Cincy seat more Democratic without likely losing the seat.  Chabot is entrenched enough that he likely holds a Biden +8 seat this year, and  would have a decent chance of winning in 2024 even if it is a similar environment to 2020

I think he would be probably lose in a 2020 environment in 2024. He's a decent incumbent, but he only won by 4pts more than Trump. Especially since his district would be much different than his current one, so I doubt his overperformance would be as strong.

I think the GOP should've drawn a Clermont + Cincinnati + R parts of Hamilton. It looks less gerrymandery than CIN + Warren, and more R as well.

Wenstrup is a stronger incumbent than Chabot too, so he would've had a good chance to keep the seat.

Neither would have worked . Wenstrup seems stronger although that's because he didn't really face any opponent while Chabot always faces whoever the main Dem challenger is for a Cincinatti seat. For example Vera/Vicente Gonzalez's seats are basically identical yet Vera won by a lot more because Gonzalez faced a semi legitimate challenger.

Also other than Warren County Chabot's seat is really polarized, deep blue black areas in Cincinatti and deep red areas in West Hamilton. Wenstrup takes the white upscale portions of the county along with less red rurals .
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1098 on: March 02, 2022, 08:53:07 PM »

Here's a hypothetical Ohio max gerrymander that still abides by redistricting rules and doesn't look horrendous.

Amazing how OH-02 is "only" Trump + 6 in this map, basically only takes in Cinci proper, and shows the extent of teh urban-rural divide. Since most of Dems Hamilton gains have been in the suburbs, it should probably be ok for the decade, and infact rurals and improvements with minorities could easily push it rightwards.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1099 on: March 02, 2022, 08:57:10 PM »

Here's a hypothetical Ohio max gerrymander that still abides by redistricting rules and doesn't look horrendous.

Amazing how OH-02 is "only" Trump + 6 in this map, basically only takes in Cinci proper, and shows the extent of teh urban-rural divide. Since most of Dems Hamilton gains have been in the suburbs, it should probably be ok for the decade, and infact rurals and improvements with minorities could easily push it rightwards.
How did the rest-of-Franklin CD vote?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies