2020 Labour Leadership Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 09:52:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2020 Labour Leadership Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 44
Author Topic: 2020 Labour Leadership Election  (Read 87190 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: February 28, 2020, 04:46:27 PM »

Why the love for the lady who wants to apply martial law to Scotland?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #701 on: February 28, 2020, 05:00:46 PM »

That was weeks ago, tbf.

She could well favour UDI by now Cheesy
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #702 on: February 28, 2020, 05:09:39 PM »

Because she doesn't want to apply martial law to Scotland
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #703 on: February 28, 2020, 06:04:06 PM »

My ballot paper:

Leader - 1 Starmer 2 Long Bailey 3 Nandy.

Deputy - 1 Rayner 2 Butler 3 Allin-Khan 4 Burgon 5 Murray.

Btw Burgon/Murray is a classic "Kissinger on the Iraq/Iran war" type choice, but even though he is an idiot RB has never said anything as profoundly moronic as "Scottish Labour was right to destroy itself as an effective electoral force, and I would do the same again" - so Murray gets the booby prize.
Corbyn is (no longer) the leader of the Labour Party
DANNT

« Reply #704 on: February 28, 2020, 08:24:25 PM »

Mild Take: Boris and the Tories  up Brexit badly + Likely Recession = Labour (with Starmer) gaining 85-90 seats and forming a coalition with the SNP in 2024.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #705 on: February 28, 2020, 08:50:18 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2020, 08:53:45 PM by Senator tack50 (Lab-Lincoln) »

Nandy's position on Scotland isn't all that radical if I understand it correctly. Certainly nothing too bad.

Plus Labour only has 1 Scottish seat anyways so it is not like they can go much lower.

Hypothetically, if hardline British unionism were to make Labour win a significant amount of votes South of the border, triaging Scotland would be a good tradeoff. Labour loses their lone Scottish seat and instrad flips back a dozen English seats (no net effect in Wales I imagine). Hell, it would even reinforce the SNP as well, allowing them to flip back the Tory seats in Scotland, allowing Labour to rule.

And not too unlike here, a hung parliament = Labour government; unless the Lib Dems (or SNP) feel suicidal.
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #706 on: February 28, 2020, 10:06:36 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2020, 11:18:11 PM by Tío Bernie »

Hypothetically, if hardline British unionism were to make Labour win a significant amount of votes South of the border, triaging Scotland would be a good tradeoff. Labour loses their lone Scottish seat and instrad flips back a dozen English seats (no net effect in Wales I imagine). Hell, it would even reinforce the SNP as well, allowing them to flip back the Tory seats in Scotland, allowing Labour to rule.

And not too unlike here, a hung parliament = Labour government; unless the Lib Dems (or SNP) feel suicidal.
Why should we believe those things would happen?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #707 on: February 29, 2020, 05:37:18 AM »

Nandy's position on Scotland isn't all that radical if I understand it correctly. Certainly nothing too bad.

Plus Labour only has 1 Scottish seat anyways so it is not like they can go much lower.

Britain isn't Spain.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #708 on: February 29, 2020, 05:45:16 AM »

That sort of erroneous reasoning is why Murray is getting what support he is.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #709 on: February 29, 2020, 05:55:23 AM »

It won't be 'hardline British unionism' that wins votes, it'll be seen as not being hostage to the SNP and their values. Don't confuse the two because they are very different. Of course, the SNP will never ever in a billion years put Labour in government, but the average voter doesn't know that.

And speaking of which, the SNP will never ever in a billion years put Labour in government, so recovery in Scotland is essential, otherwise you'll just get 2015 all over again. How to do that is another question entirely. Throwing Leonard off Ben Nevis would be a good start though.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #710 on: February 29, 2020, 06:51:16 AM »

It won't be 'hardline British unionism' that wins votes, it'll be seen as not being hostage to the SNP and their values. Don't confuse the two because they are very different. Of course, the SNP will never ever in a billion years put Labour in government, but the average voter doesn't know that.

And speaking of which, the SNP will never ever in a billion years put Labour in government,
so recovery in Scotland is essential, otherwise you'll just get 2015 all over again. How to do that is another question entirely. Throwing Leonard off Ben Nevis would be a good start though.

Why do you think that?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #711 on: February 29, 2020, 08:17:10 AM »

Folk memory of the 1979 VONC and its consequences is still very strong in the SNP. They will almost certainly support a minority Labour government if it comes to that, though of course they may demand a price Wink
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #712 on: February 29, 2020, 09:41:09 AM »

That is what "Hypothetically" means. It may or it may not happen; or diehard English unionists might just vote Tory no matter what.

But Labour has little to lose in Scotland now so a hardline unionist stance would not be a net vote loser.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #713 on: February 29, 2020, 12:28:14 PM »

It may just be because I live in London but the same people who ranted about the SNP controlling Labour & spending all our money are the same people who rant about the North getting all our money.

I still think the best approach was the one planned by Labour in 2017; a minority Labour government which dares the SNP to vote against it whilst offering more spending & fudge on certain issues.

However that was when Sturgeon & Robertson had complete control of the party & when Brexit either didn't exist, the possibility of a single market relationship existed & Indyref was in the distance.

It's always worth noting the SNP leadership in some hypothetical 2024 hung parliament is unknown; the party seems to entering the danger signs of a government in power for too long- whether it's the debate about whether you need permission for Indyref 2, the trial of Salmond , Joanna Cherry's voyage north to become First Minister or the quite obvious fallings in the public realm in Scotland it all adds up to uncertainty at the least.

There's a very good chance we have 50 SNP MPs led by someone who will point blank refuse to put anyone into Government & there's equally a chance we have 35 MPs who are happy to trade votes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #714 on: February 29, 2020, 01:56:55 PM »

There's an... event... just around the corner that will have profound consequences for Scottish politics and until it's over there's little point in speculation about the future. None.
Corbyn is (no longer) the leader of the Labour Party
DANNT

« Reply #715 on: February 29, 2020, 02:00:35 PM »

There's an... event... just around the corner that will have profound consequences for Scottish politics and until it's over there's little point in speculation about the future. None.

Um... what are you referring to?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #716 on: February 29, 2020, 02:04:19 PM »

Let us put this in the manner of a cryptic crossword. 'Oily fish as prize at sheepdog contest near a yellow field?' A--- S------ R--- T----
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #717 on: February 29, 2020, 02:06:12 PM »

Let us put this in the manner of a cryptic crossword. 'Oily fish as prize at sheepdog contest near a yellow field?' A--- S------ R--- T----

Pat, I'd like to solve the puzzle: ALEX SALMOND RAPE TRIAL
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #718 on: February 29, 2020, 02:17:03 PM »

Whatever happens I want to see Labour stick up for the union, they shouldn't give the SNP a second referendum under any circumstances
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #719 on: February 29, 2020, 02:27:08 PM »

Whatever happens I want to see Labour stick up for the union, they shouldn't give the SNP a second referendum under any circumstances

Truly a lover of democracy, you are.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #720 on: February 29, 2020, 02:36:05 PM »

They did already have their once in a generation vote six years ago, I know these days people like to redo their referendums if they don't like the result of the first but I dunno I feel thats... undemocratic?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #721 on: February 29, 2020, 02:49:08 PM »

They did already have their once in a generation vote six years ago, I know these days people like to redo their referendums if they don't like the result of the first but I dunno I feel thats... undemocratic?

Ahh yes, because it makes sense to completely ignore the then-unforeseen generational change in circumstances that has occurred since IndyRef1. Gotcha!
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #722 on: February 29, 2020, 03:04:31 PM »

Ahh yes, because it makes sense to completely ignore the then-unforeseen generational change in circumstances that has occurred since IndyRef1. Gotcha!

Hey they had a vote already, I don't think it's unreasonable to not want the Labour Party to aid in the destruction of my country
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #723 on: February 29, 2020, 03:22:05 PM »

Hey they had a vote already, I don't think it's unreasonable to not want the Labour Party to aid in the destruction of my country

What a joke.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #724 on: February 29, 2020, 03:23:46 PM »

This isn't as witty as you think it is.

Can we keep this a place where we discuss the Labour Leadership rather than put downs that are stolen from twitter & the week in Westminster.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies