2020 Labour Leadership Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 01:52:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2020 Labour Leadership Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 44
Author Topic: 2020 Labour Leadership Election  (Read 87351 times)
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: February 26, 2020, 01:13:36 PM »

Starmer might be the best of the three, but I still have a lot of residual dislike for his pushing of the second referendum issue, so I dunno I'll probably vote for Nandy in vain
DL
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #676 on: February 26, 2020, 02:21:38 PM »

I see a lot of chatter from some people about the Labour leadership saying "Oh Starmer is pro-remain so he will do badly in Leave constituencies in the north etc..." but I think that's a silly argument. The next UK election won't be until 2024 and by then either Brexit will have been a total fiasco - in which case people like Starmer will be vindicated or it will be less of a fiasco in which case it will be a non-issue and the next election will be about something else. If you are a "leave" voter you got your way and the UK will no longer be part of the EU - so unless a Starmer-led Labour party runs on a platform of re-joining the EU (highly, highly unlikely) - what do you care about who was on what side 5 years earlier?
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #677 on: February 26, 2020, 03:27:24 PM »

That argument has always had more to do with the campaign Starmer's opponents wish he was running than the one he actually is.

All the candidates have the same Brexit policy going forward - trying not to talk about it, because it's not a vote winner for Labour. And whilst he had a more central role in the creation of the policy, if it is a live issue at the next election and if that's to the government's benefit (either is possible, the combination is probably unlikely) then all of the candidates could be hit on that, as RLB backed a second referendum and Nandy voted against the deal. If you're a voter who loves Brexit, the point of comparison is going to be the Labour leader vs. the Conservative leader, not the Labour leader vs. the person they defeated in the leadership contest. So the distinction between the candidates' past positions doesn't really signify.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #678 on: February 26, 2020, 05:27:29 PM »

It may shock you all to know this poll has done nothing to change my opinion on this contest.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #679 on: February 26, 2020, 06:14:21 PM »

But isn't brexit just a poxy in the culture war? So even if brexit itself isn't a live issue, Starmer will still read as "out of touch metropolitan liberal" which is basically the same as remainer. Even if Nandy says all the same stuff, I feel like she'd be a better messenger. Or at least she'd be able to connect more to those lost voters despite having basically the same message
DL
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #680 on: February 26, 2020, 09:42:10 PM »

Who could be more of an “out of touch metropolitan elite intellectual snob” than Boris Johnson? Anyways, you can pick a leader to try to refight the 2019 election. Who the hell knows what the zeitgeist will be in 2024?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #681 on: February 27, 2020, 02:59:59 AM »

It may shock you all to know this poll has done nothing to change my opinion on this contest.

You sound much like I did in 2015 and 2016!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #682 on: February 27, 2020, 03:01:33 AM »

But isn't brexit just a poxy in the culture war? So even if brexit itself isn't a live issue, Starmer will still read as "out of touch metropolitan liberal" which is basically the same as remainer. Even if Nandy says all the same stuff, I feel like she'd be a better messenger. Or at least she'd be able to connect more to those lost voters despite having basically the same message

The spin that a life long labour staffer who was a councillor in Hammersmith & granddaughter/Daughter of a liberal peer & an academic is less of this than Starmer is quite impressive
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #683 on: February 27, 2020, 05:50:31 AM »

Voters who are looking for an excuse not to vote for a Labour candidate will always find an excuse not to do so, so being 'metropolitan' doesn't really matter in the abstract. It only matters when the candidate fails to create a sufficiently strong positive reason to vote for them.

This is slightly more of an issue for Starmer than Nandy (as electability isn't a fixed quality, but needs to be constantly renewed and he isn't overly charismatic) but it's also the sort of thing that can never be reliably predicted on a five year timescale.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #684 on: February 27, 2020, 06:10:00 AM »

You sound much like I did in 2015 and 2016!

I think that means their "opinion" that RLB is still going to win it......
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #685 on: February 27, 2020, 12:01:43 PM »

The spin that a life long labour staffer who was a councillor in Hammersmith & granddaughter/Daughter of a liberal peer & an academic is less of this than Starmer is quite impressive

Thanks
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #686 on: February 27, 2020, 12:09:51 PM »

Nandy can quite reasonably be argued to have the *most* middle class background of the three hopefuls, though many of us find this "authentocrat" posturing distinctly tedious in any case.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #687 on: February 27, 2020, 12:34:32 PM »

She might have the most middle class background, but she doesn't come across that way (or maybe it's just me) and I don't find her desire to reach out to Labours lost voters as tedious or posturing. There's a long time until the next election, but we need someone who will take seriously the job of rebuilding our coalition
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #688 on: February 27, 2020, 01:06:34 PM »

Genuinely wanting to win back lost Labour voters is not "authentocracy".
DL
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #689 on: February 27, 2020, 02:14:50 PM »

Nandy can quite reasonably be argued to have the *most* middle class background of the three hopefuls, though many of us find this "authentocrat" posturing distinctly tedious in any case.

Starmer seems to have the most impeccably "working class' credentials. His mother was a nurse and his father was a machinist. But I guess since he grew up in Surrey he doesn't talk with that northern twang that many people stereotypically associate with being working class in the UK
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #690 on: February 27, 2020, 02:35:05 PM »

In contrast to that, Jess Phillips (daughter of a teacher and NHS manager) has a regional accent - so is automatically as working class as they come. Our media class really are almost infinitely gullible.
DL
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #691 on: February 27, 2020, 02:57:02 PM »

Has the UK ever had a PM who spoke with anything resembling a working class accent? Judging from The Crown, it sounds like Harold Wilson had a bit of Yorkshire accent, but not a particularly strong one....not sure what Ramsay McDonald or Clement Attlee sounded like.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #692 on: February 27, 2020, 03:07:35 PM »

Starmer seems to have the most impeccably "working class' credentials. His mother was a nurse and his father was a machinist. But I guess since he grew up in Surrey he doesn't talk with that northern twang that many people stereotypically associate with being working class in the UK

That he comes from a humble background is immediately obvious. Specifically, it is very obvious that he comes from a humble background And Has Done Well. All sorts of little clues (in the pattern of his speech, in his dress sense, the way he carries himself etc) that more people will pick up subliminally than consciously. Maybe journalists won't, but they are largely frivolous and unobservant people who miss things that most do not. He would, of course, be the first Labour leader from a working class family since Kinnock.

Anyway, I'll note that his family background is quite an interesting one to reflect on given the past few years: skilled working class who moved out of the city for better employment prospects and home ownership. One of the few clear signals he has given* as to the sort of direction he would take Labour in is that he would like to see it focus more on the broad middle of society. Which some people read as 'middle class', but, no, that is not what he said...

*Do not read this as a criticism. He's in this to win it and from the position he has found himself in, saying as little as possible is the best strategy.
DL
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #693 on: February 27, 2020, 03:12:26 PM »

He (Starmer) would, of course, be the first Labour leader from a working class family since Kinnock.

What sort of class background does Corbyn have?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #694 on: February 27, 2020, 03:24:13 PM »

Has the UK ever had a PM who spoke with anything resembling a working class accent? Judging from The Crown, it sounds like Harold Wilson had a bit of Yorkshire accent, but not a particularly strong one....not sure what Ramsay McDonald or Clement Attlee sounded like.

To be more specific, Wilson had a mild Huddersfield accent. Accents in that part of Yorkshire were not (and are not) particularly tied to class. Callaghan had a working/lower middle class urban Channel ports (I was about to write 'Portsmouth' but it had a wider distribution) accent of a type that is largely extinct now. MacDonald had a very strong rural north east of Scotland accent ('Doric') leavened by decades as a stump-speaker in England. David Lloyd George had a very distinctive humble-but-educated North Walian accent and there were traces in his speech that immediately marked him as someone whose first language was Welsh. Little point asking about anyone else.

Attlee had the most impeccably perfect lower upper middle class accent of his generation imaginable. No one speaks like that now, of course.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #695 on: February 27, 2020, 03:28:34 PM »

He (Starmer) would, of course, be the first Labour leader from a working class family since Kinnock.

What sort of class background does Corbyn have?

Upper middle. And relating this to accent chat: he talks like a posh farmer from east Shropshire, which makes sense given where he was educated.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #696 on: February 27, 2020, 04:08:10 PM »

Attlee had the most impeccably perfect lower upper middle class accent of his generation imaginable. No one speaks like that now, of course.

There are lower upper middle class accents and upper upper middle class accents?? What a bizarre country.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #697 on: February 27, 2020, 05:04:46 PM »

There are lower upper middle class accents and upper upper middle class accents?? What a bizarre country.

Not really now, but in Attlee's day, when this really was A Class Society, then, yes.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #698 on: February 28, 2020, 03:04:35 PM »

Reluctantly backing 1. Nandy 2. Starmer. Tougher choice than I expected because neither of them particularly excite me, both having obvious weak points. If one could combine Starmer's attention to detail with Nandy's ability to communicate you'd have a very formidable politician, alas...
tomhguy
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -1.00

« Reply #699 on: February 28, 2020, 04:43:00 PM »

Just voted!
1. Nandy
2. Starmer
3. RLB
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 44