UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:51:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 287749 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: February 21, 2021, 06:38:39 AM »

The man is 99 and spending five nights in hospital for "observation" does sound troubling.
cp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1651 on: February 21, 2021, 08:03:46 AM »

Rumours abounding in the last 24 hours that the life of the Queen Consort is "drawing peacefully to a close", to use the 1930s vernacular.

So they're gonna euthanize him to fit the news cycle?
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #1652 on: February 21, 2021, 08:25:38 AM »

Rumours abounding in the last 24 hours that the life of the Queen Consort is "drawing peacefully to a close", to use the 1930s vernacular.

So they're gonna euthanize him to fit the news cycle?

TIL

Dawson, who supported the "gentle growth of euthanasia", admitted in the diary that he hastened the King's death by injecting him, after 11.00 p.m., with two consecutive lethal injections: 3/4 of a grain of morphine followed shortly afterwards by a grain of cocaine. Dawson wrote that he acted to preserve the King's dignity, to prevent further strain on the family, and so that the King's death at 11:55 p.m. could be announced in the morning edition of The Times newspaper rather than "less appropriate ... evening journals". Neither Queen Mary, who was intensely religious and might not have sanctioned euthanasia, nor the Prince of Wales was consulted.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1653 on: February 22, 2021, 07:09:26 AM »

Gender critical feminists have ruffled feathers ober a gender 'self-ID' question on the Census. Despite the fact that nearly all census questions are self-id.

They have ruffled feathers over a sex question becoming self-ID after Twitterati outcry, despite a gender self-ID option also being available on the census. The presence and proper use of both would have produced better data.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1654 on: March 02, 2021, 01:30:04 PM »

beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #1655 on: March 02, 2021, 04:08:44 PM »

I will post it in the Scottish Parliament Election thread as well, but this article is a good summary of today's groundbreaking events in Scottish politics and what preceded them:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56259056

TLDR: The claims against Nicola Sturgeon by Alex Salmond have been corroborated by witnesses, who has been shown to have misled the Scottish Parliament and repeatedly broken the Ministerial Code. There are calls for Sturgeon to resign and a no confidence vote has been tabled by the opposition Tories.

She is undeniably in the wrong, in my view. I didn't think Salmond would make it stick.
njwes
United States

« Reply #1656 on: March 02, 2021, 04:10:28 PM »

I will post it in the Scottish Parliament Election thread as well, but this article is a good summary of today's groundbreaking events in Scottish politics and what preceded them:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56259056

TLDR: The claims against Nicola Sturgeon by Alex Salmond have been corroborated by witnesses, who has been shown to have misled the Scottish Parliament and repeatedly broken the Ministerial Code. There are calls for Sturgeon to resign and a no confidence vote has been tabled by the opposition Tories.

ITSHAPPENING.gif
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1657 on: March 02, 2021, 05:21:58 PM »

For the first time my hunch is leaning closer towards Sturgeon quitting/resigning but still hard to to see how this happens in terms of timing.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1658 on: March 03, 2021, 07:36:18 AM »

Budget day today.

This has caused the Beeb's "politics" department to release a profile of Dishy Rishi that might quite possibly have been turned down by Kim Jong Un for being excessively hagiographical.

#defundthebbc
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1659 on: March 03, 2021, 11:20:12 AM »

Minimum wage increase from April, eh? My country's so-called "liberal" governing party can't even accomplish that.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #1660 on: March 03, 2021, 11:37:37 AM »

Minimum wage increase from April, eh? My country's so-called "liberal" governing party can't even accomplish that.

Ay, there's the rub.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1661 on: March 03, 2021, 11:42:18 AM »

I’m sure Treasury officials will be absolutely delighted about potentially moving from London to Darlington.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1662 on: March 03, 2021, 11:56:08 AM »

I’m sure Treasury officials will be absolutely delighted about potentially moving from London to Darlington.

Randomly moving officials to the North will make no difference if the government has no real interest in its people.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1663 on: March 03, 2021, 11:58:26 AM »

Randomly moving officials to the North will make no difference if the government has no real interest in its people.

I agree with you, I was just being a little facetious. I don’t think it will do much for Darlington and I don’t think it will do much for the Treasury.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1664 on: March 03, 2021, 12:40:38 PM »

Leeds made much more sense... the types of people working at senior levels would be more likely to live in the city or surrounding area.

All Darlington does is create another commuter link while the poorly paid staff will be local.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1665 on: March 03, 2021, 02:03:29 PM »

Leeds made much more sense... the types of people working at senior levels would be more likely to live in the city or surrounding area.

All Darlington does is create another commuter link while the poorly paid staff will be local.

I suppose the thinking was that Leeds is too large of a city with a fairly vibrant economy. That, and Darlington is a 2019 Tory gain which borders Sunak’s constituency. Anyway, I agree, a pointless move all round.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1666 on: March 03, 2021, 02:12:30 PM »

Moving a small number of civil service posts to a random large town rarely does anything for the town, certainly does nothing for governance, and is at best highly questionable politically as it entails a bunch of outsiders moving in and getting paid more than the locals, who do not really benefit: such situations can sometimes, if not always, cause backlashes.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1667 on: March 03, 2021, 05:49:18 PM »

I suppose the thinking was that Leeds is too large of a city with a fairly vibrant economy.

Leeds itself doesn't have marginal Tory seats, more importantly (unless you count Pudsey). You can never be too cynical about Boris Johnson. What is often attributed to poor judgment or incompetence should actually be attributed to malice.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1668 on: March 04, 2021, 10:05:00 AM »

Moving a small number of civil service posts to a random large town rarely does anything for the town, certainly does nothing for governance, and is at best highly questionable politically as it entails a bunch of outsiders moving in and getting paid more than the locals, who do not really benefit: such situations can sometimes, if not always, cause backlashes.

And surely nobody actually thinks many of those uprooted by this are going to *actually live* in Darlington?

Do they??
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1669 on: March 04, 2021, 10:33:08 AM »

And surely nobody actually thinks many of those uprooted by this are going to *actually live* in Darlington?

Do they??

Some might well live south of the river, in the constituency of... oh ffs.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1670 on: March 04, 2021, 01:09:47 PM »

Alternatively they could build a high speed rail link between London and Darlington so that any senior treasury staff that did get moved there would still be within range of the Royal Opera House and Harrod’s.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1671 on: March 05, 2021, 02:52:53 AM »

Well this is high.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1672 on: March 05, 2021, 02:54:12 AM »

I can't work out how much of this is Labour having a very bad month, the Lib Dems continuing to be a non-entity or just the Government doing well as a result of the vaccination, the unlocking road-map & the Budget.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1673 on: March 05, 2021, 03:33:38 AM »

I can't work out how much of this is Labour having a very bad month, the Lib Dems continuing to be a non-entity or just the Government doing well as a result of the vaccination, the unlocking road-map & the Budget.

Probably the latter, the government have also had fewer scandals/stupid moments recently. I hope this dispels the stupid argument that 'Keir Starmer will win all Labour voters back just for being more moderate'. You have to have, you know, an actual presence and stuff to win voters back.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #1674 on: March 05, 2021, 05:22:11 AM »

Alternatively they could build a high speed rail link between London and Darlington so that any senior treasury staff that did get moved there would still be within range of the Royal Opera House and Harrod’s.

It's a couple of hours on the ECML already, which is a bit much for day-to-day use but is fine for going back to London at the weekend. There are middle-class bits of Darlington itself, but I suspect you'll also see staff buying houses in Gosforth and commuting from there.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies