Is the Uk election Johnson vs Corbyn result a prelude to Trump vs Sanders?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:58:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is the Uk election Johnson vs Corbyn result a prelude to Trump vs Sanders?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Is the Uk election between Johnson/Corbyn a good barometer for Trump vs Sanders?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 121

Author Topic: Is the Uk election Johnson vs Corbyn result a prelude to Trump vs Sanders?  (Read 3791 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2019, 08:56:16 PM »

the UK election results having any impact whatsoever on the US election results is even more unimaginable than being further left wing than Bernie Sanders
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2019, 08:58:46 PM »

So let's stop the BS that M4A and breaking the big banks will make West Virginia and Arkansas lean D.
Who actually said this?

Well a professor of politics in the uk was talking about Arkansas and West Virginia’s collapse and dramatics shift from democrats to republicans today and comparing it to what happened in labor heartlands that voted labor for over a century

So he thinks that republicans have become economically very liberal - big spending, high debt but culturally conservative. While the democrats have become economically conservative and socially liberal. So stuff on immigration - open borders, defending immigrants, human rights has been a total disaster with poor working class people who feel like they have no rights anyway and the system is rigged and life is sh**t so they vote republican in protest. Talking about guns, religion is a smokescreen for the unavoidable fact that democrats care more about immigrants who don’t live here but enter illegally compared to people born here. Interesting theory
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2019, 09:02:40 PM »

So let's stop the BS that M4A and breaking the big banks will make West Virginia and Arkansas lean D.
Who actually said this?

It seems like the implication from some of the Sanders folks and Sanders himself. Like, if Manchin wont support M4A, Sanders will be able to go to West Virginia and hold a rally which will provide enough pressure for Manchin to flip. And I've seen plenty of: "Sanders won WV in a landslide during the primary, he would have carried it in the general"

Sanders would never be able to defeat joe manchin in West Virginia.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2019, 09:10:40 PM »

No, but that doesn't mean Sanders is particularly electable.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2019, 07:52:52 AM »

Who actually said this?

It seems like the implication from some of the Sanders folks and Sanders himself. Like, if Manchin wont support M4A, Sanders will be able to go to West Virginia and hold a rally which will provide enough pressure for Manchin to flip. And I've seen plenty of: "Sanders won WV in a landslide during the primary, he would have carried it in the general"

This.
You won't believe how many Sandernistas genuinely believe that Sanders will make West Virginia and Oklahoma competitive because "populism" and "he won the primary there in a landslide".
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2019, 10:12:29 AM »

Dems are un denial that their party is in trouble
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2019, 05:45:52 PM »

No. Stop trying to force American Politics into everything.

This, I've had this discussion with people outside of atlas as well.

TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES. Is this type of American-centric attitude that makes so many people have a natural dislike for the country.

I also 100% agree with Barron, Boris (and most Tories aside from the obvious: Mogg, Gove, Cornerstone group) would be a Democrat in the US no question about it. Find me a Kasich Republican who supports expanding public services, or who would preserve any system resembling the NHS, Boris may be hurting the NHS, but a "Kasich Republican's" ideals would see it torn to dust.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2019, 06:58:54 AM »

Don't let the hair fool you, Boris isn't really this country's Trump. Honestly that sort of analysis is worse than in 2008 when every single young politician with a vaguely inspiring speaking voice (and often not even that) was labeled COUNTRY X's OBAMA?!?!
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2019, 08:33:08 AM »

TWO DIFFERENT COUNTRIES. Is this type of American-centric attitude that makes so many people have a natural dislike for the country.

I also 100% agree with Barron, Boris (and most Tories aside from the obvious: Mogg, Gove, Cornerstone group) would be a Democrat in the US no question about it. Find me a Kasich Republican who supports expanding public services, or who would preserve any system resembling the NHS, Boris may be hurting the NHS, but a "Kasich Republican's" ideals would see it torn to dust.

LOL. Kasich expanded public services, have you already forgotten he basically expanded medicaid ?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2019, 08:38:31 PM »

LOL. Kasich expanded public services, have you already forgotten he basically expanded medicaid ?

That's a low standard.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2019, 04:47:31 PM »

Did....did you just compare Medicaid to the NHS?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2019, 04:54:16 PM »

No, the comparison is silly, Teresa May was the corrupt PM, not Boris, and she was removed by her own party. The British are more conservative than Americans, due to fact, Arabs and Africans are the immigrants in Europe, not Latinos, like in the US. The right trying to conflate the two, is probable, but not imminent
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2019, 10:47:24 PM »

Not me, but it's a good analogy. They hold a similar place politically (much as I'd like to abolish the second one and cut the first one).
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2019, 03:49:58 PM »

Not me, but it's a good analogy. They hold a similar place politically (much as I'd like to abolish the second one and cut the first one).
'

The place they hold politically is
A. Still Different, considering that even Tories shiver to call for its abolition whereas Republicans like to talk about "reforming" Medicaid to a nonexistent point daily
B. Irrelevant to the fact that the two systems only share a similarity in that they are healthcare related, they are vastly different
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2019, 05:13:17 PM »

'

A. Still Different, considering that even Tories shiver to call for its abolition whereas Republicans like to talk about "reforming" Medicaid to a nonexistent point daily
B. Irrelevant to the fact that the two systems only share a similarity in that they are healthcare related, they are vastly different

A. That's a good point, but it also compounds the liberalness of Kasich in expanding it. (On a personal note, Kasich really pulled a RINO on that one, I liked him before that).

B. We're talking about politics here though, not policy.
adamevans
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2019, 02:08:33 PM »

'

A. That's a good point, but it also compounds the liberalness of Kasich in expanding it. (On a personal note, Kasich really pulled a RINO on that one, I liked him before that).

B. We're talking about politics here though, not policy.

The point is that the Overton window in the UK is shifted so much to the left that, in context of U.S politics, Boris would resemble a Democrat, albeit a more moderate and conservative one. The NHS and Medicaid are incomparable on policy.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies