Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 12:09:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 58
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v3 (pg 45 - mass-dropout aftermath)  (Read 92115 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: March 01, 2020, 08:17:22 PM »

Buttigieg and Biden camps ARE talking, after Pete's exit from the race tonight.

I don't think we'll see a Biden/Pete ticket, but, an endorsement would offer huge support to Biden.

The entire point of the Pete campaign originally was to prove himself and get a cabinet seat, so as to escape the Indiana democratic graveyard. He therefore might not endorse Biden since if someone else ends up as the nominee then Pete would want to cosy up to that person. Even though Pete failed to accomplish his secondary goal and catapult himself towards the presidency, he almost certainly accomplished his primary goal and will likely end up as VA secretary or something like that - if Dems win.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1076 on: March 01, 2020, 08:20:20 PM »

So hopefully he can go back in the lead in Texas and keep California closer than current polls show it may end up. Would actually be great to see some endorsements rolling in. If Kamala endorses him ahead of California, it would be a big deal.

Bernie is gonns win Cali by 50 points. Harris isnt gonna endorse Biden. The only reason why Biden beat Bernie in SC was because, Booker thought Biden was inevitable and he wasnt and he dropped out and he thought impeachment hearing was gonna be a long trial
Are you high?

Nope. He's just Olawakandi.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1077 on: March 01, 2020, 09:35:08 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1078 on: March 01, 2020, 10:18:32 PM »

Biden campaign now up to $10 million raised online in the last two days:

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1079 on: March 01, 2020, 10:22:48 PM »

Ok I get Biden polls the best out of the group normally but is anyone not concerned his campaign not only has been massively lackluster but that he shows all the warning signs Hillary had? He doesn’t inspire young people, he did awful in the first two rural states when he was supposed to be the WWC whisper, and he gaffes all the time. Seriously I don’t know how anyone can say with a straight face that Bernie is a guaranteed loss yet feel comfortable with Joe
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1080 on: March 01, 2020, 10:30:38 PM »

Ok I get Biden polls the best out of the group normally but is anyone not concerned his campaign not only has been massively lackluster but that he shows all the warning signs Hillary had? He doesn’t inspire young people, he did awful in the first two rural states when he was supposed to be the WWC whisper, and he gaffes all the time. Seriously I don’t know how anyone can say with a straight face that Bernie is a guaranteed loss yet feel comfortable with Joe

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, the Democrats have already lost this election to Trump.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1081 on: March 01, 2020, 10:49:32 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2020, 10:57:46 PM by Badger »

The best I can explain this is as follows. First off, you're right. The potential enthusiasm Sanders could bring to a campaign versus Biden is the number one reason to vote for Sanders. There's a decent argument that to beat Trump one has to inspire and bring out to the polls usually reluctant voters. Again, Sanders has a better chance of doing that than Biden. Yes, Biden could lose. Hillary leading all the polls, and yes beat Trump by a few million votes, but that damn Electoral College still pulled an inside straight on us.

All this said, I fear Sanders is too much of a Gamble. He is a bona fide radical, and Americans are generally feeling to upbeat about the economy right now to vote for a radical. As old school Republican very sagely put it, Bernie had a much better chance of winning in 2016 when 36% of Voters had a positive view of the direction of the country's economy, as opposed to now in about 60% do. Yes, as another poster I forget whom mentioned that there's a lot of wiggle room in those numbers to where people are still personally concerned about their household finances and whether or not their jobs, their kids education, or Healthcare, could wipe them out. But those voters are much more likely to be swayed by a message of incremental change rather than Revolution.

Assuming there is not a tangible drop off with the economy within the next several months, voters will reject Trump despite the economy rather than because of it. That's a good argument for biting as opposed to Sanders.

Also, Biden has been in the public eye for decades, including eight years as vice president. He's a known commodity, and unlike Hillary Clinton who was aggressively and studiously demonized by the right for a quarter-century before her presidential election, Biden has survived largely intact. Yes, the Republican smear machine and media will land-based whoever the nominee is as an out-of-touch radical, blah blah blah. The difference is there is so much that could realistically stick to Sanders, as it did with Clinton, in a way that just wouldn't resonate to voters when attacking Biden.

What are they going to bring up?, he played rise of British politicians speech when running for president over 30 years ago. Yeah, I can literally count on one hand the number of Swing voters Nationwide who will switch because of that. He has a tendency towards mouth prop isms and gaffs? Please. What person in their right mind is going to say to themselves, I wasn't decided, but Biden shooting from the lip and occasionally getting his words mangled have convinced me to support.....Donald Trump?

While the thought of sacrificing turnout for maintaining support in middle-class suburbs by choosing Biden over Sanders is in of itself its own risk. There's a valid argument to make that running a 90s Democrat running on a platform of incremental reform plus not being Donald Trump blue what should have been a winnable election in 2016. But again, Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton. He has nowhere near the baked in negative views that the quarter-century of right-wing smears inflicted on Hillary. And even the vaunted Republican media machine can't recreate Rome in a day. They'll have about 25 weeks to demonize Joe Biden, not 25 years. And they just have so so much less to work with.

The other aspect to it is Clinton's organization ran a god-awful campaign. Not campaigning at all in Wisconsin? Running ads in New Orleans not to bolster down-ticket races but for the sole purpose of padding the Nationwide popular majority?!? F****** unreal. One can readily argue that Biden and his campaign will not be caught napping this time. Stander stand that winning back Michigan - - practically a given I think - - Pennsylvania, and above all Wisconsin, it's going to be a fight. In other words, buying can run a campaign that Hillary should have and would have won with just buy a, not running a brain-dead campaign strategy, and B, simply not being Hillary Clinton w h o m most Americans viscerally distrusted, or even actively disliked.

On that point, Hillary did always give the impression of speaking like a politician out of both sides of her mouth. In some ways, Biden's direct honesty and plain speech, even when garble, gives the opposite impression, even for someone who's been actively in politics for 40 years now. That's a benefit Hillary Clinton would never have, and on which he can reasonably match Sanders.

Tl;dr version: Sanders radical agenda is too great a risk when 60% of Americans approve of the economy's direction, and leaves too many openings for Republicans to scare middle-class and upper-middle-class Suburban Heights who dislike Trump into still voting for him as the lesser of two evils. And while Hillary Clinton didn't win running on a platform of incremental Progressive policy change plus not being Donald Trump due to being villified in most Americans Minds for a quarter-century, the same just doesn't hold true for Biden, who's playing spoken nature will be as much an advantage against Trump as Sanders own honesty, but without the considerable ideological baggage. Plus simply not choosing campaign tactics on the mistaken belief that beating Trump is a foregone conclusion.

EDIT: Someday I swear I need to get a new voice to text app Tongue
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1082 on: March 01, 2020, 10:58:06 PM »

The best I can explain this is as follows. First off, you're right. The potential enthusiasm Sanders could bring to a campaign versus Biden is the number one reason to vote for Sanders. There's a decent argument that to beat Trump one has to inspire and bring out to the polls usually reluctant voters. Again, Sanders has a better chance of doing that than Biden. Yes, Biden could lose. Hillary leading all the polls, and yes beat Trump by a few million votes, but that damn Electoral College still pulled an inside straight on us.

All this said, I fear Sanders is too much of a Gamble. He is a bona fide radical, and Americans are generally feeling to upbeat about the economy right now to vote for a radical. As old school Republican very sagely put it, Bernie had a much better chance of winning in 2016 when 36% of Voters had a positive view of the direction of the country's economy, as opposed to now in about 60% do. Yes, as another poster I forget whom mentioned that there's a lot of wiggle room in those numbers to where people are still personally concerned about their household finances and whether or not their jobs, their kids education, or Healthcare, could wipe them out. But those voters are much more likely to be swayed by a message of incremental change rather than Revolution.

Assuming there is not a tangible drop off with the economy within the next several months, voters will reject Trump despite the economy rather than because of it. That's a good argument for biting as opposed to Sanders.

Also, Biden has been in the public eye for decades, including eight years as vice president. He's a known commodity, and unlike Hillary Clinton who was aggressively and studiously demonized by the right for a quarter-century before her presidential election, Biden has survived largely intact. Yes, the Republican smear machine and media will land-based whoever the nominee is as an out-of-touch radical, blah blah blah. The difference is there is so much that could realistically stick to Sanders, as it did with Clinton, in a way that just wouldn't resonate to voters when attacking Biden.

What are they going to bring up?, he played rise of British politicians speech when running for president over 30 years ago. Yeah, I can literally count on one hand the number of Swing voters Nationwide who will switch because of that. He has a tendency towards mouth prop isms and gaffs? Please. What person in their right mind is going to say to themselves, I wasn't decided, but Biden shooting from the lip and occasionally getting his words mangled have convinced me to support.....Donald Trump?

While the thought of sacrificing turnout for maintaining support in middle-class suburbs by choosing Biden over Sanders is in of itself its own risk. There's a valid argument to make that running a 90s Democrat running on a platform of incremental reform plus not being Donald Trump blue what should have been a winnable election in 2016. But again, Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton. He has nowhere near the baked in negative views that the quarter-century of right-wing smears inflicted on Hillary. And even the vaunted Republican media machine can't recreate Rome in a day. They'll have about 25 weeks to demonize Joe Biden, not 25 years. And they just have so so much less to work with.

The other aspect to it is Clinton's organization ran a god-awful campaign. Not campaigning at all in Wisconsin? Running ads in New Orleans not to bolster down-ticket races but for the sole purpose of padding the Nationwide popular majority?!? F****** unreal. One can readily argue that Biden and his campaign will not be caught napping this time. Stander stand that winning back Michigan - - practically a given I think - - Pennsylvania, and above all Wisconsin, it's going to be a fight. In other words, buying can run a campaign that Hillary should have and would have won with just buy a, not running a brain-dead campaign strategy, and B, simply not being Hillary Clinton w h o m most Americans viscerally distrusted, or even actively disliked.

On that point, Hillary did always give the impression of speaking like a politician out of both sides of her mouth. In some ways, Biden's direct honesty and plain speech, even when garble, gives the opposite impression, even for someone who's been actively in politics for 40 years now. That's a benefit Hillary Clinton would never have, and on which he can reasonably match Sanders.

Tl;dr version: Sanders radical agenda is too great a risk when 60% of Americans approve of the economy's direction, and leaves too many openings for Republicans to scare middle-class and upper-middle-class Suburban Heights who dislike Trump into still voting for him as the lesser of two evils. And while Hillary Clinton didn't win running on a platform of incremental Progressive policy change plus not being Donald Trump due to being villified in most Americans Minds for a quarter-century, the same just doesn't hold true for Biden, who's playing spoken nature will be as much an advantage against Trump as Sanders own honesty, but without the considerable ideological baggage. Plus simply not campaigning on the mistaken belief that beating Trump is a foregone conclusion.

EDIT: Someday I swear I need to get a new voice to text app Tongue
All of this, and I would add that Biden has far more potential to capitalize on chaos coming out of the administration, considering he has advertised himself as a steady hand.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1083 on: March 02, 2020, 03:33:58 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1084 on: March 02, 2020, 03:37:03 AM »

Biden have barely had any ads on TV, while the Bernie JUGGERNAUT has been airing ads all month long, Biden is gonna lose CA and TX by a landslide

That's why Buttigieg had to drop out, no money for ads. Bernie has 42.5 million
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1085 on: March 02, 2020, 04:47:00 AM »

God damn you, ButtiPete. Now it is unlikely that Berne can run up the score in CA...

Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #1086 on: March 02, 2020, 05:06:48 AM »

Biden have barely had any ads on TV, while the Bernie JUGGERNAUT has been airing ads all month long, Biden is gonna lose CA and TX by a landslide

All of the publicity out of SC is worth more than all the advertising money the Bernie campaign has invested in ST states. Why? Democrats saw Biden's gigantic victory margin there and decided at that moment to unite the middle wing of the party behind him. Furthermore, Pete didn't drop mostly due to money but rather to coalesce this wing behind Biden. Bernie is in big trouble.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1087 on: March 02, 2020, 05:36:43 AM »

All of the publicity out of SC is worth more than all the advertising money the Bernie campaign has invested in ST states. Why? Democrats saw Biden's gigantic victory margin there and decided at that moment to unite the middle wing of the party behind him. Furthermore, Pete didn't drop mostly due to money but rather to coalesce this wing behind Biden. Bernie is in big trouble.

Biden has finally won me over. I don't want no stinkin' revolution. Trump is going to squash Bernie like a bug. Biden has class. Biden is a known commodity. I respect that the Black vote in SC chose the guy who is best to lead the country after the Trump crime-ridden chaos and bullying debacle.

Biden comes across as a fair guy. He has his issues, but they all do. If he picks the right VP he will demolish Trump. People are sick of the conman, and Biden is anything but.

Biden knocked everyone out of the park in SC. Hope he keeps up the momentum. Bernie will be a disaster, in my view.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1088 on: March 02, 2020, 06:19:23 AM »

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, the Democrats have already lost this election to Trump.

You guys forget with all these warning signs and depressed turn out they only lost by 77K in the EC
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1089 on: March 02, 2020, 08:15:46 AM »

This was and has been obvious from day one. Coddling to moderates just does this by default.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #1090 on: March 02, 2020, 08:30:44 AM »

This was and has been obvious from day one. Coddling to moderates just does this by default.

Unlikable moderates, yes. Pay attention tomorrow night. You will see Joe is likable. Wink
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1091 on: March 02, 2020, 09:02:25 AM »

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/01/politics/joe-biden-super-tuesday/index.html

Enough said! In most States Biden has No Organization. If Sanders Ground Game is good Bernie will have a significant Delegate lead.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1092 on: March 02, 2020, 09:14:12 AM »

Biden making some last-minute ad spending in California:

We'll see on Tuesday if this will be enough to make an impact.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1093 on: March 02, 2020, 09:31:03 AM »

They have NO Ground Game. They're outstaffed as CNN noted. You cannot win States like CA purely relying on Surrogates. It's insane people think Biden will do well tomorrow. Even Biden Campaign Aides telling the Media Bernie will have a Delegate lead after tomorrow. That's very telling!

Also, the Map looks very unfavorable for Biden:
On March 10th Idaho, North Dakota (Caucus), Michigan, Washington State and Mississippi are voting. Safe for MS the other 4 States will go to Sanders.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1094 on: March 02, 2020, 09:56:25 AM »

They have NO Ground Game. They're outstaffed as CNN noted. You cannot win States like CA purely relying on Surrogates. It's insane people think Biden will do well tomorrow. Even Biden Campaign Aides telling the Media Bernie will have a Delegate lead after tomorrow. That's very telling!

On March 10th Idaho, North Dakota (Caucus), Michigan, Washington State and Mississippi are voting. Safe for MS the other 4 States will go to Sanders.
And the next week Biden will steam roll Bernie in Florida and do the same in Georgia the next week.

We haven't even gotten to the extremely friendly Biden states along the ACELA corridor in April. This thing is not over. Especially if Bloomberg drops out and runs a shadow campaign for Biden.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1095 on: March 02, 2020, 10:18:27 AM »

And the next week Biden will steam roll Bernie in Florida and do the same in Georgia the next week.

We haven't even gotten to the extremely friendly Biden states along the ACELA corridor in April. This thing is not over. Especially if Bloomberg drops out and runs a shadow campaign for Biden.
Bidens entire ARGUEMENT is African-American Voters ALL while losing by Double Digits to Sanders with Hispanics.

After tomorrow there are only 4 Biden-friendly AA Southern States left. MS, GA, LA and FL. If Sanders wins Latinos in CA & TX there is no reason to believe he won't win them elsewhere. Biden has completely abandoned the Hispanic Community.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #1096 on: March 02, 2020, 10:22:11 AM »

The  ACELA corridor isn't going to be "extremely" friendly to Biden, Sanders will win NY, PA, RI and only DE will be a big win for Biden. Georgia is going to be closer than the rest of the Deep South. After ST Biden only has MI, LA, DE and FL left where he'll win big, and maybe DC if Bloomberg is out.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #1097 on: March 02, 2020, 10:27:00 AM »

The  ACELA corridor isn't going to be "extremely" friendly to Biden, Sanders will win NY, PA, RI and only DE will be a big win for Biden. Georgia is going to be closer than the rest of the Deep South. After ST Biden only has MI, LA, DE and FL left where he'll win big, and maybe DC if Bloomberg is out.
I don't agree with you in every sentence, I have many questions, but main is: Are you really think that Biden is more likely to win Michigan than Pennsylvania?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1098 on: March 02, 2020, 10:47:31 AM »

Sanders won't win Pennsylvania at this current rate.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #1099 on: March 02, 2020, 10:56:00 AM »

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/01/politics/joe-biden-super-tuesday/index.html

Enough said! In most States Biden has No Organization. If Sanders Ground Game is good Bernie will have a significant Delegate lead.

All of the publicity out of SC is worth more than all the advertising money the Bernie campaign has invested in ST states. Why? Democrats saw Biden's gigantic victory margin there and decided at that moment to unite the middle wing of the party behind him. Furthermore, Pete dropped out and his voters will almost certainly coalesce behind Biden. Bernie is in big trouble.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies