Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 07:24:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 63
Author Topic: Israeli General Election (2nd of March, 2020): Madness  (Read 132749 times)
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: March 09, 2020, 05:13:03 AM »

Blue and White has apparently given Hauser and Handel an ultimatum: support a minority government or resign.

The catch is that there isn't really any way to force them to resign. All they can do is drop them from the list before the fourth election, and they would surely have two spots awaiting them on Yamina or Likud if that were to happen.

Gantz and Lieberman will meet this afternoon to decide whether to go forward with a minority government.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #926 on: March 09, 2020, 05:15:40 AM »

Blue and White has apparently given Hauser and Handel an ultimatum: support a minority government or resign.

The catch is that there isn't really any way to force them to resign. All they can do is drop them from the list before the fourth election, and they would surely have two spots awaiting them on Yamina or Likud if that were to happen.

Gantz and Lieberman will meet this afternoon to decide whether to go forward with a minority government.
If they vote against the minority government they can't run in any list next time around
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #927 on: March 09, 2020, 05:30:07 AM »

If they vote against the minority government they can't run in any list next time around

Oh wow. So it really is lobbing a bomb and then running away.

The thing is, the entire government will be KL and a handful of center-left MKs from Labor/Meretz. How are not a trojan horse if you are a KL MK who won't support that?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #928 on: March 09, 2020, 05:34:17 AM »

The thing is, the entire government will be KL and a handful of center-left MKs from Labor/Meretz. How are not a trojan horse if you are a KL MK who won't support that?
The government will have to secure votes for any bill anyhow. and I doubt anyone thinks a government of 40 MKs is viable in the long run. I think they point is getting the Adams out of Balfour St. and then wait for someone from Likud to lead a rebellion
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #929 on: March 09, 2020, 05:47:12 AM »

The government will have to secure votes for any bill anyhow. and I doubt anyone thinks a government of 40 MKs is viable in the long run. I think they point is getting the Adams out of Balfour St. and then wait for someone from Likud to lead a rebellion

Correct. But the broader point is that the kind of unity government they're clamoring for is even less likely to happen if they prevent Gantz from becoming PM. Unless you are simply a Bibi-ist plant there is no upside for opposing a minority government. If you don't like relying on Arab support, or you prefer unity, you so obviously have to replace Bibi to get what you want. We can have elections every 5 months until kingdom come and it will never change the math. Unless KL relies on Arab support they will never have a government. And unless they let Bibi remain PM they'll never have unity. Either way, what Hauser and Handel are proposing is that Bibi remain PM.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #930 on: March 09, 2020, 07:26:51 AM »

Gantz met the wonder couple, I think Boogie as a very small grip of his faction and the fear was that they will sway other MKs.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #931 on: March 09, 2020, 10:31:37 AM »

I’m not a fan of the Joint List myself but Jeez.

If these guys want a center-right party or Diet Likud, Yisrael Beiteinu is right there. I don’t see why they should hold the party hostage.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #932 on: March 09, 2020, 12:40:17 PM »

Blimey this might be happening, the minority government. Gear up for civil war lads
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #933 on: March 09, 2020, 01:41:04 PM »

Blimey this might be happening, the minority government. Gear up for civil war lads
How can that even work without anything being passed?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #934 on: March 09, 2020, 02:32:39 PM »

How can that even work without anything being passed?
I think the point is just to swear it in, nothing more nothing less.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #935 on: March 09, 2020, 02:47:34 PM »

No. For the first time in years the government will be pursuing a legislative agenda supported by a large majority of Israelis. The right wing noise machine is all smoke and mirrors because they know that once people see that the Joint List isn't actually trying to destroy Israel and that the left actually supports a popular and responsible agenda, the whole game is up and the right wing can't scaremonger their way to victory. All they'll have is 20 year olds in black hats and a 6th grade education sitting on train tracks in Jerusalem and kippot srugim with peyot wider than the Ayalon hyperventilating and throwing things and spraypainting about Gantz making Israel a democratic and open country that accepts and celebrates all of its citizens and not just its Jewish ones. A country based on democratic principle (and the Zionism of Ben Gurion) is a nightmare for those who prefer an Israel based on the atavistic hate of some rabbinic ideologue who believes that the role of Arabs in this world is to serve the Jewish people in this life and the next.

But most people? They may absolutely hate the idea of a government sitting on the votes of the Joint List, but they'll live with it.

In any case, I don't exactly see how Gantz plans to win over the now three right wingers in his party to support a minority government. He seems all in at tjis point, but is that enough to make it happen?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #936 on: March 09, 2020, 02:59:46 PM »

No. For the first time in years the government will be pursuing a legislative agenda supported by a large majority of Israelis. The right wing noise machine is all smoke and mirrors because they know that once people see that the Joint List isn't actually trying to destroy Israel and that the left actually supports a popular and responsible agenda, the whole game is up and the right wing can't scaremonger their way to victory. All they'll have is 20 year olds in black hats and a 6th grade education sitting on train tracks in Jerusalem and kippot srugim with peyot wider than the Ayalon hyperventilating and throwing things and spraypainting about Gantz making Israel a democratic and open country that accepts and celebrates all of its citizens and not just its Jewish ones. A country based on democratic principle (and the Zionism of Ben Gurion) is a nightmare for those who prefer an Israel based on the atavistic hate of some rabbinic ideologue who believes that the role of Arabs in this world is to serve the Jewish people in this life and the next.

But most people? They may absolutely hate the idea of a government sitting on the votes of the Joint List, but they'll live with it.

In any case, I don't exactly see how Gantz plans to win over the now three right wingers in his party to support a minority government. He seems all in at tjis point, but is that enough to make it happen?
Im trying to remember whether I was ever as optimistic like you or I’m just a political anhedonistic
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #937 on: March 09, 2020, 03:06:01 PM »

Of course, in September Hendel and Hauser could have been told to go screw themselves and there would still have been enough votes for Gantz as long as Balad abstained. But alas.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #938 on: March 09, 2020, 03:30:53 PM »

Of course, in September Hendel and Hauser could have been told to go screw themselves and there would still have been enough votes for Gantz as long as Balad abstained. But alas.
But YB had cold feet
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #939 on: March 09, 2020, 10:08:44 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2020, 10:11:56 PM by BP🌹 »

A country based on democratic principle (and the Zionism of Ben Gurion) is a nightmare for those who prefer an Israel based on the atavistic hate of some rabbinic ideologue who believes that the role of Arabs in this world is to serve the Jewish people in this life and the next.
David Ben-Gurion is a terrible example for what you're attempting to describe.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #940 on: March 09, 2020, 11:53:46 PM »

But YB had cold feet

Keeping these two cretins on the KL list is entirely Gantz and Lapid's fault, though. They knew they were going to be a major obstacle to any future play by the anti-Bibi bloc, and they had a golden opportunity to remove them. Whether it was out of complacency, naivety, or just plain oversight, it's a glaring act of political malpractice and means that KL has only itself to blame if it fails now.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #941 on: March 10, 2020, 12:27:31 AM »

Could BP please take his hot takes somewhere that isn't the Israeli election thread? Create some horrible Israel/Palestine thread on the International General Discussion board that I can ignore?

This thread's for the government formation process in Israel. The Israeli/Palestinian debate is tangential and is hijacking the thread.

Just talking as a poster here, but this board is for discussing international elections and results. Actual debate is for the other boards.
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #942 on: March 10, 2020, 12:42:04 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2020, 12:47:52 AM by BP🌹 »

Could BP please take his hot takes somewhere that isn't the Israeli election thread? Create some horrible Israel/Palestine thread on the International General Discussion board that I can ignore?

This thread's for the government formation process in Israel. The Israeli/Palestinian debate is tangential and is hijacking the thread.

Just talking as a poster here, but this board is for discussing international elections and results. Actual debate is for the other boards.
I'm not just stating my opinions. I'm responding to things other people are saying (and I'm not just espousing my views on Israel that are already well-known - I'm criticizing the dishonesty of Liberal/Labor Zionism). And I wouldn't say I've "hijacked" the thread - other discussion is going on unabated, and ironically, this post you've just made is likely to derail the thread itself.

I think you just don't want to hear voices that are different from all the others here that are virtually identical. Well, you and the others are free to put me on ignore.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #943 on: March 10, 2020, 03:20:38 AM »

Lapid goes out saying it's either a minority government or fourth elections, and than the JL are only required for one vote. I think the decision has been made. And I think they called it right when the finally went out in public to justify it, as long as they treated it and the JL as a dirty mistress it legitimized Bibi's racist exclusion campaign.

Get it done.
Walmart_shopper
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #944 on: March 10, 2020, 03:55:52 AM »

Lapid goes out saying it's either a minority government or fourth elections, and than the JL are only required for one vote. I think the decision has been made. And I think they called it right when the finally went out in public to justify it, as long as they treated it and the JL as a dirty mistress it legitimized Bibi's racist exclusion campaign.

Get it done.

Exactly. As long as they get Balad's votes--and it seems they just might, this might be it. You can really, really not like the Joint List and even prefer not to cooperate with them, but treating 15 democratically elected MKs as illegitimate certainly smells like bigotry. The right didn't flinch when Bibi courted Otzmah and their Judeo-fascism. They don't at all flinch about Smotrich's racism or the insanity of letting the Haredim drive our economic future into a wall. "That's politics," we are told. Indeed it is politics. And the right wing may be about to see that politics isn't just a plaything of the right.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #945 on: March 10, 2020, 07:24:15 AM »

Gantz wants a quick negotiation swearing in the new government on March 23
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #946 on: March 10, 2020, 07:37:28 AM »

Get it done.

Exactly. As long as they get Balad's votes--and it seems they just might, this might be it. You can really, really not like the Joint List and even prefer not to cooperate with them, but treating 15 democratically elected MKs as illegitimate certainly smells like bigotry. The right didn't flinch when Bibi courted Otzmah and their Judeo-fascism. They don't at all flinch about Smotrich's racism or the insanity of letting the Haredim drive our economic future into a wall. "That's politics," we are told. Indeed it is politics. And the right wing may be about to see that politics isn't just a plaything of the right.

Gantz apparently met with Tibi, Odeh and Abbas only so idk if the Balad recommendations are confirmed.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #947 on: March 10, 2020, 07:52:54 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2020, 07:55:56 AM by jaymichaud »

https://m.jpost.com/Israel-Elections/Likud-starts-preparing-for-fourth-election-620426

More of Likud gaslighting the entire country. Prolonging the self proclaimed “political instability” while pretending that they want to put it to an end. In an ideal world none of them should have careers after this.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #948 on: March 10, 2020, 08:01:04 AM »

Do we have any idea who is ideally going to be in the govt so far? B&W, LGM, and then Huh happens.  Is YB looking at outside or inside support? Is all the Joint List going to be outside or will certain members be invited into govt? I have to assume that even the wonder twins would prefer anything to a fourth election.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #949 on: March 10, 2020, 08:37:26 AM »

Do we have any idea who is ideally going to be in the govt so far? B&W, LGM, and then Huh happens.  Is YB looking at outside or inside support? Is all the Joint List going to be outside or will certain members be invited into govt? I have to assume that even the wonder twins would prefer anything to a fourth election.
From the tweets I get that YB are in, I hope JL won’t do anything stupid about it
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 63  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies