North Carolina 2020 Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 06:06:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  North Carolina 2020 Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 66
Author Topic: North Carolina 2020 Redistricting  (Read 89375 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: April 11, 2023, 06:56:58 PM »

That map feel very icarusy to me. I could image some, if not all, of the Biden ~46% seats flipping by the end of the decade.
What do you think is the worst-case scenario for Rs in 2030? The best-case? And the median?

Best case scenario would be the start tacking a little to the right as the suburbs stabilize and the rurals turn more red. Worst case is Wake/Mecklenburg start growing like Atlanta as the cost of living in the rest of the country continues to spiral and end up voting like Fulton. Median would be somewhere between, a small democratic swing but growth slows by the end of decade.
I meant in seat count. Thanks for the reply either way, of course.
Ah do you mean your map or in general.
My map.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1451 on: April 11, 2023, 07:00:30 PM »

Worst case from your map would be around 3-4 Republican seats flipping in a 2018 style wave so 6-8. I have a feeling the southern wake strip would vote more democratic then not so it’ll function closer to a 3-11, with one or two seats being continuously competitive.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1452 on: April 11, 2023, 09:21:58 PM »

Nice job!

I personally don't think the political willpower would be quite there for this, and district 7 and 2 could very easily become liabilities. I also don't think they'd completely butcher the black belt, but instead make a swingy or slightly R leaning district that should shift right throughout the decade without completely dismantling NC-01 (as the overturned gerrymander did).
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1453 on: April 11, 2023, 09:47:48 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/34e17654-8a0f-48dc-a291-64bd60510faa

I could see the map ending up looking something like this. This map is a 10-3-1 map.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1454 on: April 28, 2023, 11:30:18 AM »

Let the take no prisoners gerrymander begin.

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1651974129938046978?t=cCqyuUWuNlZqBsKfig4Vew&s=19
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1455 on: April 28, 2023, 01:17:19 PM »

This will end the ISL case at the Supreme Court, GOP will net 3-4 in NC but Dems probably will get 1-2 back from Wisconsin. WI's legislature never actually passed a map into law (no bill signed) so Dems are probably only down 1-2 seats and that's before any Hochulmander could be reinstated.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1456 on: April 28, 2023, 02:43:59 PM »

So here comes NC's fifth map in less than 7 years
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1457 on: April 28, 2023, 05:51:47 PM »

New York, it’s your turn.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1458 on: April 28, 2023, 06:37:18 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2023, 06:40:47 PM by Torie »

Here is my best effort to balance beauty and efficacy for the Pubmander. Will the Pubs show this much restraint, or will they be inspired by the Illinois map to try to snatch another CD?

https://davesredistricting.org/join/8b6998b4-28cf-4fcd-bbb5-8e38b874c4c9

I don't think the Dems will get much out of WI and NY. We shall see.

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1459 on: April 28, 2023, 07:04:10 PM »

Chances are better than not that they just remake the 2021 map they originally passed.  It did leave NC-1 (then NC-2) as competitive but with an R trend.  The only exception might be removing Watauga from NC-14 now that Cawthorn is gone.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/charlotte/politics/2021/11/04/redistricting-in-n-c---new-maps-approved--favoring-gop

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1460 on: April 29, 2023, 12:14:49 PM »

Here is my best effort to balance beauty and efficacy for the Pubmander. Will the Pubs show this much restraint, or will they be inspired by the Illinois map to try to snatch another CD?

https://davesredistricting.org/join/8b6998b4-28cf-4fcd-bbb5-8e38b874c4c9

I don't think the Dems will get much out of WI and NY. We shall see.

Even if Ds do net something out of WI or NY enough to "cancel out" NC, that's still a huge net loss. 2 relatively fair maps are better than 2 gerrymanders that cancel out.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1461 on: April 29, 2023, 12:23:16 PM »

This is what I think will happen:

Congressional: Likely 3-1-10, with the swing seat being a predecessor to the current NC-01 the GOP counts of continuing to shift right. Map is likely similar to the one that was originally overturned, but makes some minor changes now that there's different sets of incumbents and we've seen another cycle of political shifts.

State Sen: Honestly, it's not hard to lock the GOP into a supermajority without doing anything too absurd; the GOP already won a supermajority in 2022 with just a slightly R favorable year. I expect a map similar to the current one that just makes some optimizations so in your average year, the GOP gets to about 32 seats, and basically locks in a supermajority. I don't expect them to be super aggressive with cracking up suburbs of Charlotte and Raliegh, especially given the 2022 results; I think most emphasis will be on the black-belt and more mid-sized cities like Fayetteville, Greensboro, and Wilmington.

State House: This is honestly more difficult to *lock-in* a GOP supermajority, but you can do it so the GOP should be favored in a normal cycle. Again, I expect the biggest point of contention to be the black-belt seats and seats around smaller D-leaning communities. Especially on the state House level, I doubt we'll see GOP aggressively try to bacon-strip out suburbs, but def try to shore up incumbents (rmbr County-splitting rrule is still in place too, so it's literally impossible to squeeze much out of Mecklenburg and Wake Counties).
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1462 on: April 29, 2023, 01:04:21 PM »

Congressional: Likely 3-1-10, with the swing seat being a predecessor to the current NC-01 the GOP counts of continuing to shift right. Map is likely similar to the one that was originally overturned, but makes some minor changes now that there's different sets of incumbents and we've seen another cycle of political shifts.

State Sen: Honestly, it's not hard to lock the GOP into a supermajority without doing anything too absurd; the GOP already won a supermajority in 2022 with just a slightly R favorable year. I expect a map similar to the current one that just makes some optimizations so in your average year, the GOP gets to about 32 seats, and basically locks in a supermajority. I don't expect them to be super aggressive with cracking up suburbs of Charlotte and Raliegh, especially given the 2022 results; I think most emphasis will be on the black-belt and more mid-sized cities like Fayetteville, Greensboro, and Wilmington.

State House: This is honestly more difficult to *lock-in* a GOP supermajority, but you can do it so the GOP should be favored in a normal cycle. Again, I expect the biggest point of contention to be the black-belt seats and seats around smaller D-leaning communities. Especially on the state House level, I doubt we'll see GOP aggressively try to bacon-strip out suburbs, but def try to shore up incumbents (rmbr County-splitting rrule is still in place too, so it's literally impossible to squeeze much out of Mecklenburg and Wake Counties).

This seems right to me, though there's some speculation that they might try and overturn the county splitting rules with the newly favorable court.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1463 on: April 30, 2023, 12:45:44 AM »

Out of curiosity, I tried what they did last cycle combining Northeastern Black communities with Durham, but at this point Wake County is getting so big and blue that it's honestly not worth it imo. If I were the NCGOP I'd just draw basically what they drew the first time around and wait for NC-01 to fall into their laps down the line.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1464 on: May 02, 2023, 07:48:24 AM »

This seems right to me, though there's some speculation that they might try and overturn the county splitting rules with the newly favorable court.
If the county splitting rules were overturned, what would replace them?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1465 on: May 02, 2023, 10:10:19 AM »

The GOP got to exactly 30 seats in the state senate and that’s through winning a swing seat in New Hanover. Seat 31 for them is probably in north Wake County, but I don’t see where seat 32 is for them. Making any of them Safe R is a tough order.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1466 on: May 02, 2023, 10:17:09 AM »

Wasn’t it actually a Republican controlled court that originally put the county splitting rules in place?
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1467 on: May 03, 2023, 12:08:45 PM »

So any word on when we should expect a new map?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1468 on: June 11, 2023, 11:52:04 AM »

Since I'm a masochist, I've been playing around with a maximalist NCGOP gerrymander.

The landscape for NC redistricting post-Allen v. Milligan is interesting -- Republicans have pretty much obliterated most previous constraints on their gerrymandering, except now they can't get rid of NC-01 like they wanted. I figured they might go with a map which shores up NC-01 instead.

link

It's 10-3-1, with NC-06 as a narrow Trump district, functionally Lean R.

You could probably tighten this up more, especially with 14.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #1469 on: June 11, 2023, 12:11:11 PM »

Don't think the court would look too fondly on cutting the number of seats with significant black populations from 3 to 2 with the elimination of the Durham seat, given that 3 is the proportional number for the state's demographics.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1470 on: June 11, 2023, 12:36:12 PM »

Since I'm a masochist, I've been playing around with a maximalist NCGOP gerrymander.

The landscape for NC redistricting post-Allen v. Milligan is interesting -- Republicans have pretty much obliterated most previous constraints on their gerrymandering, except now they can't get rid of NC-01 like they wanted. I figured they might go with a map which shores up NC-01 instead.

link

Actually a not a bad map and it doesn’t pull crap like splitting Greensboro and Winston Salem.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1471 on: June 11, 2023, 01:11:49 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2023, 01:25:27 PM by Sol »

Don't think the court would look too fondly on cutting the number of seats with significant black populations from 3 to 2 with the elimination of the Durham seat, given that 3 is the proportional number for the state's demographics.

NC-04 is majority white, and less than 30% Black.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1472 on: June 11, 2023, 04:20:16 PM »

link

That south Wake seat is a little too close for comfort for Republicans. They’d probably pull it out into more rural areas like going deeper into Wayne County.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #1473 on: June 11, 2023, 04:26:55 PM »

Why would Milligan prevent the GOP from gerrymandering NC-01 out of existence? It is currently drawn basically to maximize Black population, and it's still only 41% Black by VAP. Obviously it is a Black performing district (for now) but still, couldn't North Carolina just say, "well, there is no minority population sizeable and compact enough to be a majority in a compact single member district here, therefore Gingles prong 1 fails and this district is not protected by Section 2"? I think you'd probably have a stronger case arguing that gerrymandering NC-01 out of existence is a racial gerrymander impermissible under the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments. I think this case would be very strong, but it would be more analogous to the South Carolina redistricting challenge pending before the Supreme Court than to Milligan.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1474 on: June 11, 2023, 06:16:04 PM »

Why would Milligan prevent the GOP from gerrymandering NC-01 out of existence? It is currently drawn basically to maximize Black population, and it's still only 41% Black by VAP. Obviously it is a Black performing district (for now) but still, couldn't North Carolina just say, "well, there is no minority population sizeable and compact enough to be a majority in a compact single member district here, therefore Gingles prong 1 fails and this district is not protected by Section 2"? I think you'd probably have a stronger case arguing that gerrymandering NC-01 out of existence is a racial gerrymander impermissible under the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments. I think this case would be very strong, but it would be more analogous to the South Carolina redistricting challenge pending before the Supreme Court than to Milligan.

You can draw a more black seat, but VRA seats don’t require black majority, just one that lets black voters elect the candidate of their choosing.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies