North Carolina 2020 Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:34:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  North Carolina 2020 Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 66
Author Topic: North Carolina 2020 Redistricting  (Read 86366 times)
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »
« edited: December 12, 2019, 11:04:03 PM by Vern »

CD-1(Green): PVI R+11.58
CD-2(Dark Purple): PVI R+9.76
CD-3(Red): PVI D+3.03
CD-4(Yellow): PVI R+20.9
CD-5(Light Greenish): PVI R+5.43
CD-6(Gray): PVI R+23.04
CD-7(Light Purple): PVI D+6.75
CD-8(Teal): PVI R+.29
CD-9(Pink): PVI R+14.26
CD-10(Lime Green): PVI R+7.54
CD-11(Light Blue): PVI D+10.56
CD-12(Tan): PVI D+9.48
CD-13(Goldish): PVI D+17.88
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 08:30:38 PM »

What you guys think?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 10:03:48 PM »

Not a fan of the Charlotte wrap-around district,  also it looks like you lowered the AA percentage in the northeast district quite heavily.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 10:06:26 PM »

Could you add numbers to the districts? Your description of their colors don't do them justice.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 10:08:36 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2019, 10:14:35 PM by Nyvin »

Here's a least change map I made (at least somewhat least change)

https://davesredistricting.org/join/7176a848-2859-4692-acfb-0e10b96ec7af

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 10:13:14 PM »

Johnston really should not be in a district with Wilmington.

Everything there is Raleigh centric.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 10:15:32 PM »

Johnston is in a district with Wilmington in the current map.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 10:04:52 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2019, 10:15:49 PM by Oryxslayer »

And here's mine of course, since I guess this might as well be our NC2020 redistricting thread. I didn't really care who or where incumbents lived when I drew this, and frankly, I still don't.

The general theme of 13-district NC is either the 7th or the 3rd has to bite some sort of bullet: there is too much pop on the coasts for just 1 seat, but there is too little easily reachable thanks to the minority seats. It's even harder when you consider the most GOP counties in the state by percentage are south of Hampton roads and 'want' to be connected to the AA 1st geographically.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 01:48:40 AM »

No kidding!

Its not like it was the first thing that started my war with the NC GOP, oh wait, it was!
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 07:51:09 AM »

No kidding!

Its not like it was the first thing that started my war with the NC GOP, oh wait, it was!

Thankfully, the 13-district problem of eastern north carolinas population is solved when the 14th gets added in 2020. There's enough in the east for a Wilmington GOP seat and a north coast one, with only minor demands from booming Raleigh and her suburbs.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 10:02:22 AM »

Chatham really belongs in a Research Triangle District and not with Randolph as they are radically different places now.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 10:10:39 AM »

Holding (NC-2) and Walker (NC-6) are both probably shivering over this redistricting, considering their seats are easily the most vulnerable to flipping to the Democrats as a result.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 10:43:27 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2019, 10:51:35 AM by Oryxslayer »

Holding (NC-2) and Walker (NC-6) are both probably shivering over this redistricting, considering their seats are easily the most vulnerable to flipping to the Democrats as a result.

Holding is holding off (heh) seriously fundraising because he expects to be DOA.

Chatham really belongs in a Research Triangle District and not with Randolph as they are radically different places now.

I think we all agree, except that the research triangle in general has to give up pop to other seats because it's so large but not large enough. If it wasn't Chatham, it would be somewhere else. When 2020 comes along and the triangle gets seat 14, it has to be included because the triangle is now demanding Pop from other regions, rather than having to give up pop to others.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 12:30:27 PM »

Here's another alternative that I put together:

https://davesredistricting.org/join/7c5770ec-23d0-4b88-86b7-9848e2865e16
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 01:25:44 PM »

That actually looks great!   I like it better than my map, lol.     I'd love it if the courts put this map in place.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 06:57:39 PM »

And here's mine of course, since I guess this might as well be our NC2020 redistricting thread. I didn't really care who or where incumbents lived when I drew this, and frankly, I still don't.

The general theme of 13-district NC is either the 7th or the 3rd has to bite some sort of bullet: there is too much pop on the coasts for just 1 seat, but there is too little easily reachable thanks to the minority seats. It's even harder when you consider the most GOP counties in the state by percentage are south of Hampton roads and 'want' to be connected to the AA 1st geographically.

Your analysis here is right to be sure but I don't think a OBX+random Greenville+Wilmington district is a sustainable bullet biting; better to draw Wilmington in towards Robeson or up towards Goldsboro than draw such a discontinuous thing.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 07:39:26 PM »

Basically Eastern NC's map depends on what you want to sacrifice, particularly as it pertains to NC-01.
Basically you can:

A. Draw an NC-01 which is not minority-majority or minority-plurality but where black voters would likely elect their candidate of choice. This can be done without having to dip into the Triangle--nice for Community of Interest regions since Durham and NW NC are fairly different. However, because these areas are pretty polarized they could fall to a Republican in a wave--sort of a GA-02 before 2010 situation. Drawing an Eastern NC only 1st district also forces all the districts around it clockwise--basically in this layout a Raleigh exurbs-Fayetteville district is an obvious thing. This map tends to favor Republicans because a Lean D district in the Fayetteville area doesn't happen. It also forces an awkward split of Cumberland from Hoke County generally speaking, as well as a grody three-way cut of Wake. Potentially legally questionable under VRA due to above discussed competitiveness.

I drew a version of A here on DRA. Would love feedback.

There's also an option A1, which includes more westerly areas like Granville and Franklin counties. I chose to exclude them for this exercise because both counties have bits which are very Triangle oriented. Common Cause NC did a mock redistricting commission a few years ago which adopted this approach.

B. Draw a plurality black district which dips into the Triangle. This option is the current status quo. This has some obvious pluses; it makes much more pleasing maps in the rest of the state (easier mapping in Eastern North Carolina, as the coast, Wilmington, and Fayetteville/the Sandhills get their own district). Obviously the downside is the awkward hash of dipping into the Triangle. There are two subtypes; B1, which goes into Durham, and B2, which goes into Raleigh. Either way the 1st District is very likely to elect a black candidate of choice as whites in both Durham and Raleigh are D-leaning, and Black voters would dominate in a primary.

B1 has the virtue of being easier as Granville county leads the way into Durham without having to cut through super white precincts. B2 has the virtue of allowing for an all-in-Wake County district and keeping Durham and Chapel Hill together, although it does split Raleigh proper. Working on making nice versions of both.

C. A black-majority district. Would probably require two Triangle prongs and indelicate finagling in ENC besides. Not my favorite and potentially legally questionable.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 07:54:10 PM »

Yes, although the Western part of the county is a very similar to Randolph.

North Carolina is really rotten with these rurban counties; Chatham is noticeable because of the partisan divide, but it's not nearly as extreme as in Iredell or Franklin.
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2019, 07:55:10 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2019, 08:05:59 PM by nerd73 »

Here's a mostly clean NC map.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 08:47:55 PM »

pretty good gerrymander
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 09:17:03 PM »

You realize the purpose of the court order is to "undo" the current partisan gerrymander...correct?
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 09:33:57 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/295cde18-80fe-418b-aac6-04a776535a4d

Here is the link to the OP map, if anyone wants to look at it in detail.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2019, 09:44:51 PM »

I agree, That is why I tried to keep the Triad and Triangle in three districts. But I had to put some one the triangle in a third district because the population is to big for just two districts
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 10:00:28 PM »

You realize the purpose of the court order is to "undo" the current partisan gerrymander...correct?

I think he knows
He drew that ringmander a few days ago. He just trolling us good for fun. Love it Smiley
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2019, 12:07:00 AM »

I agree, That is why I tried to keep the Triad and Triangle in three districts. But I had to put some one the triangle in a third district because the population is to big for just two districts

I thought your map was fine for Chatham and even for Johnson.  Most of the maps weren't.  Though I'd argue that Chatham is more Research Triangle than Johnson.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies