North Carolina 2020 Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 11:15:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  North Carolina 2020 Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 66
Author Topic: North Carolina 2020 Redistricting  (Read 87134 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: November 10, 2020, 10:17:46 AM »

If there's a concern about Butterfield you could also draw something like this, pronging into Raleigh instead of Durham.

It has the advantage of relieving the pressure on ENC, thereby allowing for more logical districts--though obviously it's still not optimal. Eastern Wake County is also getting a good bit Blacker, which might help too if there are concerns about a decline in minority communities in the Northeast.
Well I still believe that a rural coi is key im merely commentating on what could happen
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #276 on: November 10, 2020, 03:54:19 PM »

If there's a concern about Butterfield you could also draw something like this, pronging into Raleigh instead of Durham.

It has the advantage of relieving the pressure on ENC, thereby allowing for more logical districts--though obviously it's still not optimal. Eastern Wake County is also getting a good bit Blacker, which might help too if there are concerns about a decline in minority communities in the Northeast.
Well I still believe that a rural coi is key im merely commentating on what could happen
There’s no problem in the rest of the South with creating VRA seats which contain Black Belt rurals and inner cities.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #277 on: November 11, 2020, 11:25:34 AM »

Butterfield might need Durham back, in some deal or so considering he is only up by 8 points. I think a 9-5 map is probably what happens. NC D's look likely to take a net of -1 in the state supreme court and possibly -2 to a total of 4-3.

The CJ seat has narrowed from R +4K votes to R+<1K, and there are 10's of thousands of absentees left to count.  Pretty sure that one flips back to the incumbent Dem, but R's are sure to win the other 2 seats now.  5D/2R is the most likely outcome.  The seats up in 2022 are 2D/1R, so it is very possible the court flips in a Biden midterm.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #278 on: November 11, 2020, 12:16:04 PM »

In fairness, it's pretty easy to draw logical majority Black districts without splitting Jackson or
There’s no problem in the rest of the South with creating VRA seats which contain Black Belt rurals and inner cities.

Of course, none of those are optimal wrt: Communities of Interest.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #279 on: November 11, 2020, 01:56:57 PM »

Butterfield might need Durham back, in some deal or so considering he is only up by 8 points. I think a 9-5 map is probably what happens. NC D's look likely to take a net of -1 in the state supreme court and possibly -2 to a total of 4-3.

The CJ seat has narrowed from R +4K votes to R+<1K, and there are 10's of thousands of absentees left to count.  Pretty sure that one flips back to the incumbent Dem, but R's are sure to win the other 2 seats now.  5D/2R is the most likely outcome.  The seats up in 2022 are 2D/1R, so it is very possible the court flips in a Biden midterm.

The NC Democratic Party might need to go out and recruit a few more fake Republicans.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #280 on: November 14, 2020, 01:18:52 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2020, 01:30:21 AM by lfromnj »

As the court seems its heading towards 4-3 here is a clean map the NC GOP could draw. Guilford can mostly be drowned out by Randolph but it still is Clinton +3 FWIW. I didn't take much of Durham btw, its only like 10k.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #281 on: November 14, 2020, 03:04:26 AM »

As the court seems its heading towards 4-3 here is a clean map the NC GOP could draw. Guilford can mostly be drowned out by Randolph but it still is Clinton +3 FWIW. I didn't take much of Durham btw, its only like 10k.
are any of the R seats marginal?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #282 on: November 14, 2020, 03:06:29 AM »

The one with Fayetville and Hudson kinda is at Trump +7.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #283 on: November 14, 2020, 03:09:37 AM »

The one with Fayetville and Hudson kinda is at Trump +7.
I think a good compromise would be shoring that up but in exchange the Greensboro seat is safe.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #284 on: November 14, 2020, 10:29:26 AM »

Beasley actually still has a decent shot; probably the narrow favorite at this point though there will be a recount.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #285 on: November 14, 2020, 10:33:22 AM »

Do you have a link?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #286 on: November 14, 2020, 12:19:33 PM »

CJ Beasley is now likely to lose.  The late absentees and provisionals were surprisingly R, as they have been in other states.  So the court will be 4D/3R when it reviews the maps.  This leaves a couple of different scenarios:

1. Is one of the remaining D's known as a don't-rock-the-boat moderate?  Did any Dems dissent from or more narrowly concur in the decision throwing out the 2010's maps?  It only takes one crossover vote to defer to the legislature now. 

2.  If they are all committed liberals, they could go for broke in trying to set up the most Dem possible maps for 2022 knowing that they will almost surely lose their 1-seat majority in a Biden midterm anyway?
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #287 on: November 14, 2020, 12:44:07 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2020, 12:57:09 PM by RussFeingoldWasRobbed »

I don't care if its 4 or 5, I want a d leaning map lol
NC dems should appeal the Republicans map no matter what they draw
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #288 on: November 14, 2020, 01:02:09 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/a802d155-c302-4c53-a994-d876550a22c4

Here's the link.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #289 on: November 14, 2020, 02:15:07 PM »

True. Anything less than 6 safe dem districts is completely unacceptable
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #290 on: November 14, 2020, 04:18:29 PM »

CJ Beasley is now likely to lose.  The late absentees and provisionals were surprisingly R, as they have been in other states.  So the court will be 4D/3R when it reviews the maps.  This leaves a couple of different scenarios:

1. Is one of the remaining D's known as a don't-rock-the-boat moderate?  Did any Dems dissent from or more narrowly concur in the decision throwing out the 2010's maps?  It only takes one crossover vote to defer to the legislature now.  

2.  If they are all committed liberals, they could go for broke in trying to set up the most Dem possible maps for 2022 knowing that they will almost surely lose their 1-seat majority in a Biden midterm anyway?

As of this morning Beasley is still ahead by 35 votes, but Robeson still has some provisionals.

Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #291 on: November 14, 2020, 05:16:05 PM »

that's not what the court said last time.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #292 on: November 14, 2020, 06:06:34 PM »

NC is gaining a 14th seat. It should go to Democrats.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #293 on: November 14, 2020, 06:18:51 PM »

Technically it should be neither, it would be a swing district but all of us know thats unlikely.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #294 on: November 14, 2020, 06:20:25 PM »

7R-6D-1T would be a fair map for a swing state that is always close nationally and votes in favor of both Democrats and Republicans for statewide offices, but definitely has a slight Republican tilt. Of course, never doubt the NCGOP's willingness to draw up the most horrendous maps possible. A 10R-4D map is relatively easy (the most favorable R leaning seat for Democrats would be likely R in a Biden midterm) if Republicans wanted to go down that path. No doubt it would be challenged in court, but having such a favorable map for a few cycles might be worth it in the NCGOP's estimation. That's basically the strategy they used in 2010 Census redistricting.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #295 on: November 14, 2020, 06:22:17 PM »

Technically it should be neither, it would be a swing district but all of us know thats unlikely.
Yeah Harnett, Johnston and southern wake right
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #296 on: November 14, 2020, 06:28:41 PM »

Yeah Harnett, Johnston and southern wake right

Yeah what I did in my moderate GOP map was have eastern Wake taken up by the black seat basically which cancels the need for this new swing seat.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #297 on: November 14, 2020, 06:29:08 PM »

CJ Beasley is now likely to lose.  The late absentees and provisionals were surprisingly R, as they have been in other states.  So the court will be 4D/3R when it reviews the maps.  This leaves a couple of different scenarios:

1. Is one of the remaining D's known as a don't-rock-the-boat moderate?  Did any Dems dissent from or more narrowly concur in the decision throwing out the 2010's maps?  It only takes one crossover vote to defer to the legislature now. 

2.  If they are all committed liberals, they could go for broke in trying to set up the most Dem possible maps for 2022 knowing that they will almost surely lose their 1-seat majority in a Biden midterm anyway?

As of this morning Beasley is still ahead by 35 votes, but Robeson still has some provisionals.

Oh dear god, not Robeson again.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #298 on: November 14, 2020, 06:34:51 PM »

Oh dear god, not Robeson again.
Titanium Tilt R Florida Robeson
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #299 on: November 14, 2020, 06:51:03 PM »

not really, there is no easy place to draw another safe dem seat.  A swing district in sandhills could be drawn, but a fair district there wouldn't be safe dem.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies