MD-Sen 2022/WaPo: Hogan +8 over Van Hollen
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:33:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-Sen 2022/WaPo: Hogan +8 over Van Hollen
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: MD-Sen 2022/WaPo: Hogan +8 over Van Hollen  (Read 2847 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2019, 04:23:58 PM »

Senators Weld, Lingle, and Bredesen look forward to welcoming him to the chamber!

Likely D

What's truly ridiculous is that Cook Political had Hawaii as "Lean D" on 11/1/2012. 

Actually I’m surprised by this too but only because I would have expected him to rate it a Tossup.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2019, 04:30:06 PM »

Van Holland would beat Hogan. Michael Steele came close to beating Cardin, due to the divisive primary that Cardin and Mfume had. Van Hollen has much more support within AA community than Cardin. Cardin, has been a disappointment and a Markey clone; as a result, I didnt endorse hin in 2018 and never will, just like Markey
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2019, 04:39:26 PM »

This race may be the Boxer vs Carly of 2022 , a race polls show a tossup till the last two weeks
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2019, 04:41:08 PM »

How would this turn out differently than Phil Bredesen?

Because Hogan is a Real Moderate of course.

He might make it a little closer than Bredesen did because Democrats love their fake moderates Republicans. Republicans never seem to love moderate or conservative Democrats unless they are in deep blue seats (Cuellar, Lipinski). I can’t fault Republicans for being smart about that. Hopefully Democrats will wise up and won’t back Collins’ re-election bid in any significant numbers next year

Joe Manchin
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »

He might make it a little closer than Bredesen did because Democrats love their fake moderates Republicans. Republicans never seem to love moderate or conservative Democrats unless they are in deep blue seats (Cuellar, Lipinski). I can’t fault Republicans for being smart about that. Hopefully Democrats will wise up and won’t back Collins’ re-election bid in any significant numbers next year

Joe Manchin

That's not really true. If you go over to the conservative websites, you'll notice that they don't particularly like Manchin, and many of them openly express negative sentiments about him. They would have been glad to see him lose last year. And Manchin's approval ratings are not that impressive, certainly not comparable to those of Hogan or Baker in any way. They used to be-especially when he was Governor-but not anymore.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2019, 04:45:59 PM »

Joe Manchin

That's not really true. If you go over to the conservative websites, you'll notice that they don't particularly like Manchin, and many of them openly express negative sentiments about him. They would have been glad to see him lose last year. And Manchin's approval ratings are not that impressive, certainly not comparable to those of Hogan or Baker in any way. They used to be-especially when he was Governor-but not anymore.

Thats true but if you go to liberal websites, you will find that they dont like Baker or Hogan either. Conservative Sites and Liberal Sites arent representative of the average voters because people on those sites care more about the smallest policy differences then the average voter does
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2019, 04:58:26 PM »

Joe Manchin

Thats true but if you go to liberal websites, you will find that they dont like Baker or Hogan either. Conservative Sites and Liberal Sites arent representative of the average voters because people on those sites care more about the smallest policy differences then the average voter does

They are not the end all, but I think it's pretty clear at this point that Republicans in general are more inflexible as regards to their opinions about Democratic officials than the contrary. Public opinion polls and recent electoral results, such as with last year's midterms, show this.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2019, 05:19:36 PM »

This race is Safe D. Van Hollen is a high-ranking Democrat in a safe state, so he has tons of cash on his side should he actually look slightly endangered. Also, Maryland has only really shown itself open to Republicans for the office of governor in recent years. The Democratic blood of Maryland is too strong; Charles Mathias was practically a Democrat, and he was the last GOP US Senator from Maryland. Not only that, but Maryland has had Democratic control of their legislature for a century! At least Indiana 2016 had some recent major federal wins for Democrats to bring optimism for Bayh's chances, not even taking into account his past landslides (which were the only thing that Bredesen had going for him - TN has been way too GOP for quite a while at the federal level for any hope of victory, really).

State offices are viewed in a less partisan way, which allowed for Hogan's victory in the first place. While Hogan was winning in 2014 and 2018, most other federal Democrats were romping to victory while Hogan was also winning their districts.

So yeah, I'm not taking this seriously unless poll numbers like this are still showing up in Fall 2022, which is when things went sour for Bayh and Bredesen.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2019, 10:42:43 AM »

Hogan would come far closer than any other Republican... and would still lose by double digits.

In this present political environment. Now, if Maryland were still more open to electing Republicans at the federal level, like it was forty or fifty years ago, then Hogan would have an excellent shot. The last Republican elected to the Senate from Maryland, who held this very same seat, was Barbara Mikulski's predecessor Charles Mathias, who was a liberal Republican. In his last reelection in 1980, Mathias got 66% of the vote and won every county in the state.

It's unfortunate, really. Hogan would make a fine Senator, as would Charlie Baker.
Not really. Hogan is a pretty party line republican, despite his posturing.

And this kind of mentality is pretty much why he doesn't have a chance, at least at running for Senate. But the majority of Maryland voters obviously disagree with you otherwise; if they did agree with you, he would not have been re-elected Governor last year.
I voted for him--- because I appreciate the balance between democratic supermajorities and an R governor, as well as the fact that Jealous would have bankrupted the state, but this fact is true nonetheless, and I know plenty of Hogan Dems who feel the same.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2019, 11:26:14 AM »

Safe D lol
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2019, 03:34:48 PM »

Bayh Bayh
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2019, 09:48:24 PM »

Hogan could keep it competitive by stressing kitchen table issues. If there's any place Hogan has spent alot, its at the kitchen table so he knows what hes talking about
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2019, 09:56:14 PM »

Hogan could keep it competitive by stressing kitchen table issues. If there's any place Hogan has spent alot, its at the kitchen table so he knows what hes talking about

To say nothing of Jon Tester
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2019, 10:00:48 PM »

To say nothing of Jon Tester

Tester is a farmer who never sells any of his crops....i think we know where they've been going
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2019, 10:50:50 PM »

A very low blow. Hogan is one of the last politicians who ought to be at the receiving end of the kind of flack that is directed at others here. Especially considering that he is a cancer survivor.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2019, 10:54:07 PM »

A very low blow. Hogan is one of the last politicians who ought to be at the receiving end of the kind of flack that is directed at others here. Especially considering that he is a cancer survivor.

Welcome back to the forums Caltharina...I thought you left? What's new?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2019, 11:19:31 PM »

Welcome back to the forums Caltharina...I thought you left? What's new?

I've been back for around two months now, and decided to take my chances here.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2019, 12:13:46 AM »

Van Hollen will beat Hogan; as a result of the Michael Steele v Cardin race. Michael Steele was a pragmatist just like Hogan, but Van Hollen is a fighter and has more AA support than Cardin.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2019, 09:56:34 PM »

Safe D obviously. Why is this in question?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2019, 10:28:42 PM »

Well, Atlas would insist This Time Is Different™ and rate it lean D if it was a poll showing Mike Beebe or Dave Freudenthal winning, lol.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2019, 05:58:54 AM »

If it’s a Dem mid-term in 2022, a Scott Brown-like upset is possible.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2019, 07:09:50 AM »

Hogan would come far closer than any other Republican... and would still lose by double digits.

In this present political environment. Now, if Maryland were still more open to electing Republicans at the federal level, like it was forty or fifty years ago, then Hogan would have an excellent shot. The last Republican elected to the Senate from Maryland, who held this very same seat, was Barbara Mikulski's predecessor Charles Mathias, who was a liberal Republican. In his last reelection in 1980, Mathias got 66% of the vote and won every county in the state.

It's unfortunate, really. Hogan would make a fine Senator, as would Charlie Baker.
Not really. Hogan is a pretty party line republican, despite his posturing.

And this kind of mentality is pretty much why he doesn't have a chance, at least at running for Senate. But the majority of Maryland voters obviously disagree with you otherwise; if they did agree with you, he would not have been re-elected Governor last year.
I voted for him--- because I appreciate the balance between democratic supermajorities and an R governor, as well as the fact that Jealous would have bankrupted the state, but this fact is true nonetheless, and I know plenty of Hogan Dems who feel the same.
Basically this. In fact, I think that Hogan can attribute his popularity to having a Dem supermajority to override unpopular vetoes.

Hogan would probably over-perform, maybe even come within a few points of winning  in a Dem midterm, but I think the dynamics of a federal race would be too much for him. Democrats would hammer him on things like not voting to confirm Dem judges.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2019, 07:15:20 AM »

Well, Atlas would insist This Time Is Different™ and rate it lean D if it was a poll showing Mike Beebe or Dave Freudenthal winning, lol.
Dave Freudenthal would definitely win. He's conservative
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2019, 10:57:12 AM »

Dave Freudenthal would definitely win. He's conservative

Ahahahahaha
You want to become a caricature of yourself?
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2019, 11:37:40 AM »

Van Hollen would obviously win but I could see the margin being very close for Maryland. Something like 55-44 or something.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies