Opinion of NAFTA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 03:51:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of NAFTA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of NAFTA
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Opinion of NAFTA  (Read 662 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2019, 12:10:20 AM »

So dont compare it to how you think of NAFTA compared to the USCMA just give your opinion on NAFTA as a whole.

Mine would be FF
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 12:37:34 AM »

It's not perfect, & there are very real concerns with regards to the loss of our manufacturing base & communities economically being left behind, but I'd blame that moreso on a completely ineffective job re-training system in our country. It supports millions of American jobs, has greatly increased the amount of foreign direct investment into the US, & improved our relations with Canada & Mexico by laying the groundwork for robust trade with our neighbors, which is necessary for any country.

Overall, FF.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 01:02:18 AM »

It's not perfect, & there are very real concerns with regards to the loss of our manufacturing base & communities economically being left behind, but I'd blame that moreso on a completely ineffective job re-training system in our country. It supports millions of American jobs, has greatly increased the amount of foreign direct investment into the US, & improved our relations with Canada & Mexico by laying the groundwork for robust trade with our neighbors, which is necessary for any country.

Overall, FF.

This precisely. It also helps consumeres by lowering prices, so while it does lead to some job bleeding concerns which are real and can be seen, it's a net positive. Barring the doors with protectionism would only cause harm.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 09:23:52 AM »

not a big fan but not as bad as some losers on twitter make it seem
F. Joe Haydn
HenryWallaceVP

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 09:34:46 AM »

HP. While I generally prefer free trade over protectionism, that doesn't excuse NAFTA from having been designed without the input of unions to primarily benefit large multinational corporations.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 11:25:11 AM »

FF, it does need some improvements, but it moderately benefits the economies of the U.S. and Canada, and its main benefit is boosting Mexico's economy. That in turn is good for the U.S. since we naturally benefit from a stable country on our Southern border. I do think that free trade in general and NAFTA specifically have some downsides for the United States, but I would argue that many of the problems people attribute to NAFTA (specifically, the loss of domestic manufacturing jobs) actually came primarily from normalized trade relations with China (another Cilnton-era policy).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies