Hungarian elections and politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 08:06:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hungarian elections and politics
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Fidesz

Momentum

DK

Jobbik

MSZP

LMP

Párbeszéd

Mi Hazánk

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Hungarian elections and politics  (Read 18825 times)
Umengus
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2022, 03:00:53 PM »

The united opposition so far is actually pretty lucky in Budapest.  They led Fidesz 45.7% to 42.8% but lead Fidesz in constituency seats 16-2.  You would think there will be a greater variation of the vote in Budapest.  It seems Fidesz missed out on some good gerrymandering.

impossible, it's rigged Wink
Splash
United States

« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2022, 03:06:35 PM »

So looks like this is pretty much over at this point? Just as I predicted.

Yeah, I think the only question is whether Fidesz+KDNP secures at least 133 seats or not.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2022, 03:08:47 PM »

So how long until em impode
Flyersfan232

« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2022, 03:09:17 PM »

Yeah, I think the only question is whether Fidesz+KDNP secures at least 133 seats or not.
what about the German guy
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2022, 03:09:36 PM »

Time for the EU & NATO to throw Hungary out. Orban wants to go it alone he should do it without western money.

Add Poland lol.

Actually the opposition is in pretty solid shape in Poland and the Western liberal segment of the country is roughly 50% of voters.  And Poland tends to play fair when the EU makes certain demands. Orban's Hungary, on the other hand, is a farce and an embarrassment to the entire EU.

Yeah, however low my opinion of the PiS clique might be, they're in a whole other league compared to Orban. They might be reactionary nationalists, but they're European reactionary nationalists, not Putin fifth-columnists.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2022, 03:09:44 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2022, 09:05:04 AM by DavidB. 🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦 »

We'll have to see just how much the numbers will tighten, but it looks like Hungary will remain the stronghold of sanity within Europe (though I've been a lot less impressed by their Ukraine stance tbh). Anyone who's actually been there and talked with people there (and I don't just mean globalist "academics" from CEU or some bartender at a downtown Pest club) understands Hungary is not a "far-right dictatorship" but rather a country that, in most regards, is similar to literally all European countries just a few decades ago in terms of morality, while making enormous economic progress, and that isn't interested in going into full neo-communist self-destruction mode like all of Western Europe. No wonder people keep voting Fidesz.
rob in cal
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2022, 03:11:42 PM »

Basically Fidesz is doing best in areas that it usually does best, opposition is doing best in areas it usually does best, its just that Fidesz is doing about 5 to 7% better than expected.  If you look at the district pre election projections at taktikaizavazah.hu this comes clear. Not saying there isn't unfairness in the Hungary situation, just that the overall patterns of the vote match up with what was expected, but add 5% or so.

I really would like to see where the 2018 Jobbik voters went. It isn't logical that the lions share of them would want to support a predominantly left wing alliance, so perhaps this is finally coming out in this election, where Our Country is so far doing better than expected.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2022, 03:12:06 PM »

It seems to be over at this point. The only real question is if Fidesz gets 2/3, which might come down to Budapest and Miskolc.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2022, 03:12:41 PM »

People on here sounding like Hardcore Trumpers in 2020

WE ARE LOSING, STOP THE COUNT!!!!

STOLEN ELECTION!!!!

While Hungary's media is beyond awful and freedom of the press is limited, I will say that the election itself is fair and there is no tampering.
Omega21

« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2022, 03:12:58 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2022, 03:36:00 PM by Omega21 »

You do realize that Hungary voted to condemn Russia in the UN AND also implemented ALL of the EU sanctions against Russia, right?

Now, the fact that they do not want to literally ruin their own economy by banning Russian gas, and want to stay militarily out of the conflict (no weapons for Ukraine), is them putting their national interests first, not being a 5th column.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2022, 03:16:06 PM »

You do realize that Hungary voted to condemn Russia in the UN AND also implemented ALL of the EU sanctions against Russia, right?

Now, the fact that they do not want to literally ruin their own economy by banning Russian gas, and want to stay militarily out of the conflict (no weapons for Ukraine), is them putting their national interests first, not being a 5th column.
True. But if I listen to the words of this song, in particular the part about the world simply watching and doing nothing, I would expect a little more empathy with Ukraine from Hungary given that they know all about Russian aggression.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #136 on: April 03, 2022, 03:17:37 PM »

We'll have to see just how much the numbers will tighten, but it looks like Hungary will remain the stronghold of sanity within Europe (though I've been a lot less impressed by their Ukraine stance tbh). Anyone who's actually been there and talked with people there (and I don't just mean globalist "academics" from CEU or some bartender at a downtown Buda club) understands Hungary is not a "far-right dictatorship" but rather a country that, in most regards, is similar to literally all European countries just a few decades ago in terms of morality, while making enormous economic progress, and that isn't interested in going into full neo-communist self-destruction mode like all of Western Europe. No wonder people keep voting Fidesz.

100 % correct.

I was there in october, in the fidez demonstration in Budapest and it was pretty good. Budapest is very beautiful, very clean, so much better than brussels, where I work. Orban position on putin is bad but well, not so bad than (belgian) greens (who prefer gas to nuke) lol
Flyersfan232

« Reply #137 on: April 03, 2022, 03:23:38 PM »

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #138 on: April 03, 2022, 03:23:52 PM »

Time for the EU & NATO to throw Hungary out. Orban wants to go it alone he should do it without western money.

Add Poland lol.

Actually the opposition is in pretty solid shape in Poland and the Western liberal segment of the country is roughly 50% of voters.  And Poland tends to play fair when the EU makes certain demands. Orban's Hungary, on the other hand, is a farce and an embarrassment to the entire EU.

Yeah, however low my opinion of the PiS clique might be, they're in a whole other league compared to Orban. They might be reactionary nationalists, but they're European reactionary nationalists, not Putin fifth-columnists.

Passivity is complicity. Anyone who stands in the way of providing the aid Ukraine needs to fight is a Putin fifth-columnist. It's that f**king simple.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #139 on: April 03, 2022, 03:24:21 PM »

Add Poland lol.

didn’t jobbik recognized Crimea annexation 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2022, 03:25:42 PM »

Geez, I'm not ignoring nearly as many people as I should be. Time to update my list.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2022, 03:25:54 PM »

so would this be reserved budapest mayoral election?
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2022, 03:26:40 PM »

Add Poland lol.

Getting in to bed with Putin is not in their national interest, it is in Orban’s narrow personal interest.

Even if it were, NATO & EU aren’t obligated to keep helping them when they are led by a man intrinsically hostile to Western values. If the Hungarian people want to choose Putin over the EU & NATO that’s their prerogative - but that’s the choice they should be given. My guess is once the EU money runs out they will tire of Orban pretty quickly.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2022, 03:27:01 PM »

A rapid slide into dictatorship is alright because the city streets are clean (ignoring the fact that Budapest is administrated by the opposition)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2022, 03:28:50 PM »

The PR vote count in Budapest is turning more in favor of the united opposition.  Right now Fidesz is at 134 seats but that can become 133 any minute.
Omega21

« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2022, 03:36:19 PM »

While Hungary's media is beyond awful and freedom of the press is limited, I will say that the election itself is fair and there is no tampering.

And that is precisely why the 2 of us can always have a productive discussion.

The kneejerk "STOLEN ELECTION!!!!!!" reactions with very little evidence to back it up (barring a few ballots in some village in Romania lol) are just pure emotion & cope, and that applies to both the reactions here, and the Trumpist reactions in 2020.

True. But if I listen to the words of this song, in particular the part about the world simply watching and doing nothing, I would expect a little more empathy with Ukraine from Hungary given that they know all about Russian aggression.

Totally get where you are coming from, but in the end, the whole of Europe is to blame. We could have taken the French path and embraced safe & clean nuclear energy, but we didn't. We could have worked on securing other energy sources long ago, but again, we didn't.

Now ATM, Orban has a choice:

1) Sanction & condemn Russia but still don't piss them off too much
2) Go full-on Baltics & commit economic suicide

In any case, it seems Orban has only done what the Hungarian people want anyway, and the border region next to Ukraine, as well as the rest of the country, is rewarding him handsomely for it.

Flyersfan232

« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2022, 03:36:54 PM »

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1510703205193175041?cxt=HHwWgsCqqfSjjPcpAAAA
Omega21

« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2022, 03:39:17 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2022, 03:42:36 PM by Omega21 »

Add Poland lol.

Actually the opposition is in pretty solid shape in Poland and the Western liberal segment of the country is roughly 50% of voters.  And Poland tends to play fair when the EU makes certain demands. Orban's Hungary, on the other hand, is a farce and an embarrassment to the entire EU.

didn’t jobbik recognized Crimea annexation  

Russia invites far-right anti-Semitic Hungarian politicians to visit Crimea

https://khpg.org/en/1438522254

But that was 6 years ago bro, so that does not count, they are now the most liberal, EU-loving party one could hope for.

Getting in to bed with Putin is not in their national interest, it is in Orban’s narrow personal interest.

Even if it were, NATO & EU aren’t obligated to keep helping them when they are led by a man intrinsically hostile to Western values. If the Hungarian people want to choose Putin over the EU & NATO that’s their prerogative - but that’s the choice they should be given. My guess is once the EU money runs out they will tire of Orban pretty quickly.

Genuinely curious, what are some examples of Hungary being on Russia's side?

The fact that they sanctioned them?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2022, 03:41:17 PM »

Oppositions do not win elections, governments lose them.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2022, 03:44:35 PM »

The Sweden Democrats can be vilified and shut out because some Nazi was one of the founders more than 30 years ago, but Jobbik, who were drawing up lists of Jewish employees at the parliament not even 10 years ago (in many cases the exact same people as the ones running the party now), is completely cool for all the enlightened liberals now. Apparently you stop being a Nazi when you're useful to the regime change project.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies