This was an amazing night for Republicans.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:00:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  This was an amazing night for Republicans.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: This was an amazing night for Republicans.  (Read 5277 times)
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2019, 09:48:45 AM »

2019 has been quite good for Republicans so far. First they consolidated the Wisconsin Supreme Court; then they won an election where their last guy was convicted of fraud; now they win a super-majority in the Louisiana State Senate and possibly House. These are the main elections where "The Squad" has been the face of the Democrats.

Winning by less than a point in a 20% turnout race with no parties on the ballot, squeaking by in a Trump +13 House seat, and winning supermajorities by flipping seats that went to Trump by 30 or more points.

If you really think any of these are because of “The Squad”, you need to stop talking about elections.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2019, 10:52:43 AM »

Nah, this is just the continued annihilation of conservadems. Louisiana has their elections in weird years so it's happening a bit later. We will likely see the same in Mississippi next month.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2019, 11:29:43 AM »

This was an amazing night for Republicans because they got a narrow majority of the vote in *checks notes* Louisiana.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2019, 12:08:08 PM »

This was an amazing night for Republicans because they got a narrow majority of the vote in *checks notes* Louisiana.

....against a generally popular, scandal free incumbent governor who 15 years ago would have been reelected very easily.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »

Edwards hasn't lost yet.

But yeah, this is incredibly depressing on every level and I'm pretty close to exiting politics all together.

I can understanding feeling this way, and I've been there. The reality is that people are stubborn and sometimes, there really is no way to convince them to think differently, much as we try. While I've never seen partisan loyalty (especially to Republicans) this high, it's not unusual for Democrats who even seem popular and well-liked in Republican-friendly areas to lose, despite their best efforts and their Republican opponents just being partisan hacks. This is why it's important not to get your hopes up too much in general, especially in these types of races, as promising as they may seem.

Taking a break is definitely a reasonable thing to do, but I'd encourage you not to give up entirely. We've got more than a year left before 2020, and while there's no doubt that Trump will easily win KY, LA, and MS, that's not where the election will be won.
Cinemark

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2019, 12:40:16 PM »

Edwards hasn't lost yet.

But yeah, this is incredibly depressing on every level and I'm pretty close to exiting politics all together.

I can understanding feeling this way, and I've been there. The reality is that people are stubborn and sometimes, there really is no way to convince them to think differently, much as we try. While I've never seen partisan loyalty (especially to Republicans) this high, it's not unusual for Democrats who even seem popular and well-liked in Republican-friendly areas to lose, despite their best efforts and their Republican opponents just being partisan hacks. This is why it's important not to get your hopes up too much in general, especially in these types of races, as promising as they may seem.

Taking a break is definitely a reasonable thing to do, but I'd encourage you not to give up entirely. We've got more than a year left before 2020, and while there's no doubt that Trump will easily win KY, LA, and MS, that's not where the election will be won.

Yeah. While dissapointing, the south has drifted so far to the right that not even Jesus could win an election here if there were a D infront of his name.

That being said, I wouldnt give up on Edwards just yet. We've got an entire month and if democrats can get New Orleans and Baton Rouge out to vote while keeping his margins in rural areas similar to tonight, he might still have a fighting chance.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2019, 03:58:28 PM »

Edwards hasn't lost yet.

Honestly, I know it probably doesn’t seem like it to you, but IceSpear, Xingerui and I don’t do the whole “Safe R” Kentucky thing for no reason. I personally do it as a way to make some comic relief about an ugly aspect of our politics nowadays that most deep red states are so polarized that they wouldn’t even vote for Jesus Christ in the flesh if he were a Democrat. My coping mechanism is to thus preempt the inevitable disappointment from a loss in what could look like a promising race in such places by preparing myself for the worst.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2019, 07:00:40 PM »

You should find a way to cope that does not involve reposting the same talking points in every thread on this forum. Have you considered seeing a therapist instead?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2019, 07:12:48 PM »

You should find a way to cope that does not involve reposting the same talking points in every thread on this forum. Have you considered seeing a therapist instead?

I would, but Gov. Bevin took away my Husseincare so now I have to go without. Still voting for him anyway though to stop the caravan.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2019, 08:25:52 PM »

....against a generally popular, scandal free incumbent governor who 15 years ago would have been reelected very easily.

15-20 years ago is when Democrats stopped winning statewide elections in Louisiana
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2019, 03:08:11 PM »

Edwards hasn't lost yet.

Honestly, I know it probably doesn’t seem like it to you, but IceSpear, Xingerui and I don’t do the whole “Safe R” Kentucky thing for no reason. I personally do it as a way to make some comic relief about an ugly aspect of our politics nowadays that most deep red states are so polarized that they wouldn’t even vote for Jesus Christ in the flesh if he were a Democrat. My coping mechanism is to thus preempt the inevitable disappointment from a loss in what could look like a promising race in such places by preparing myself for the worst.

And most others find it incredibly obnoxious and grating, including many who agree with the predictions. This is why I have IceSpear on ignore and you'll probably end up in it pretty soon, it wouldn't matter if I agreed with every single opinion you had, the manner in which they are expressed is insufferable regardless.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2019, 03:25:41 PM »

Edwards hasn't lost yet.

And most others find it incredibly obnoxious and grating, including many who agree with the predictions. This is why I have IceSpear on ignore and you'll probably end up in it pretty soon, it wouldn't matter if I agreed with every single opinion you had, the manner in which they are expressed is insufferable regardless.

I'll try in the future to match your levels of obnoxiousness instead
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2019, 06:37:10 PM »

Edwards hasn't lost yet.

You might find the jokes about Safe R KY annoying, but on this forum, if there were only ever serious analysis about the state of politics without any joking around or memes, it'd get extremely depressing in a hurry. Sometimes, humor is the best coping mechanism, even though some people inevitably won't appreciate the particular type of humor used.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2019, 06:41:53 PM »

Edwards hasn't lost yet.

You might find the jokes about Safe R KY annoying, but on this forum, if there were only ever serious analysis about the state of politics without any joking around or memes, it'd get extremely depressing in a hurry. Sometimes, humor is the best coping mechanism, even though some people inevitably won't appreciate the particular type of humor used.

However humor ceases to be humorous after repeated repetition of it and then just becomes annoying. There's a reason memes in the greater web die out so quickly. Do you still engage in Rickrolling or watch Harlem Shake videos?
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2019, 06:56:06 PM »

These threads are going to be quite funny when Edwards ends up winning the run off like 52 to 48 while winning 55 to 57% in Jefferson Parish and 54% in St Charles Parish
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2019, 06:59:42 PM »

Edwards hasn't lost yet.

However humor ceases to be humorous after repeated repetition of it and then just becomes annoying. There's a reason memes in the greater web die out so quickly. Do you still engage in Rickrolling or watch Harlem Shake videos?

No, but I wouldn't recommend banning uploading Rickroll videos, or YouTube channels that upload a Rickroll video, especially if it were in response to other channels claiming that Rick Astley can't sing. And last I checked, TrendsAreReal hasn't been making the same posts on this site for 13 years.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2019, 07:29:42 PM »

Edwards hasn't lost yet.

No, but I wouldn't recommend banning uploading Rickroll videos, or YouTube channels that upload a Rickroll video, especially if it were in response to other channels claiming that Rick Astley can't sing. And last I checked, TrendsAreReal hasn't been making the same posts on this site for 13 years.
The analogy would be more akin to someone repeatedly spamming Rickrolls because they once heard someone off the forum claim that Rick Astley can't sing.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2019, 07:38:31 PM »

The analogy would be more akin to someone repeatedly spamming Rickrolls because they once heard someone off the forum claim that Rick Astley can't sing.

Put them on ignore and actually follow through on ignoring them if you don’t want to deal with them. Your bitching makes you look even more pathetic than you already are.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2019, 07:46:23 PM »

Put them on ignore and actually follow through on ignoring them if you don’t want to deal with them. Your bitching makes you look even more pathetic than you already are.

I have IceSpear on ignore already and the only reason I haven't hit the button for TrendsAreReal is so I can still report his posts, same reason I never ignored krazen.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2019, 07:49:44 PM »

While Nov 16th will be an amazing night for suburban Democrats in Louisiana we should remember that this current alignment could well be relatively temporary.

A mild recession is likely soon but long range another recession with intensity approaching 2008 could well shake up voting patterns. Like in a decade or two a recession of that level could really accelerate automation and would obviously devastate the rural job market more than the suburban job market and unlike current partisan ideologies the Democrats would be more likely to push redistribution of wealth or universal basic income.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2019, 08:10:22 PM »

the only reason I haven't hit the button for TrendsAreReal is so I can still report his posts

So basically you’re just giving the mods a bunch of BS busy work to sift through. Nice.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »

the only reason I haven't hit the button for TrendsAreReal is so I can still report his posts

So basically you’re just giving the mods a bunch of BS busy work to sift through. Nice.
He's complained about posts being deleted, so no.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2019, 08:17:29 PM »

“I’ve asked out 100 girls and 1 said yes. I am success.”
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2019, 08:19:24 PM »

“I’ve asked out 100 girls and 1 said yes. I am success.”

Aren't you excited for next month when the Jefferson Parish votes for Jon Bel Edwards with a solid 10 point margin and St Charles Parish votes at the state average of 52% edwards?
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2019, 08:23:58 PM »

I complained about literally one post being deleted out of two and that one was when it got deleted for “trolling” when I wasn’t even trolling. I wish Steve Cooley had won that race in 2010 so we wouldn’t have to deal with the nauseating Kamala Harris fandom. If you see that as your greatest accomplishment in your (checks notes) 13 years on here... congrats?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies