Booker is out of money, may drop out soon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 03:01:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Booker is out of money, may drop out soon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Booker is out of money, may drop out soon  (Read 2375 times)
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2019, 09:52:34 AM »

https://medium.com/@corybooker/now-or-never-radical-transparency-about-the-next-10-days-of-this-race-37ffa22aa14
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 10:01:16 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2019, 10:08:19 AM by Fuzzy Bear »

I'm laughing hysterically at that memo!

Oddly enough, I view this as not the best news for Democrats.  Booker isn't my fave by any means, but I see him as a better candidate than Harris or Warren, and waaaaaaay ahead of Castro and some of the other stragglers.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 10:28:06 AM »

I know this article will probably be met with a fair bit of mirth on this site. To be sure, it indicates the precarious position the Booker campaign find themselves in.

But, it also indicates a self-awareness that nearly three quarters of the field lack. Candidates like Delaney, Bennet and Castro seem to believe that they are one viral moment, or one outlier poll away from an Iowa caucus win.

But Booker and his campaign clearly understand that the race is tightening, and without a significant improvement in fortunes, they are not going to be contenders for long.

I'm not about to throw my weight behind Booker, but I can at least respect his honesty and self-awareness, which is not something you can say about any of the other also-rans right not.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 10:29:34 AM »

That's a shame. I like Booker. Hopefully he'll have a prominent role in the next administration--I think he'd make an excellent Secretary of State.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 10:33:15 AM »

I think he is a nice guy,but for some reason he can't come off authentic.  
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 10:35:45 AM »

I can see most of his support being split among Biden and Harris when he drops out.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 10:42:41 AM »

I can see most of his support being split among Biden and Harris when he drops out.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Although, if you're backing Booker, surely you're avoiding Biden, and the rest of the Big Three? I'd be interested to see whether other second tier candidates, like Buttigieg pick up his voters.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 10:47:22 AM »

I know this article will probably be met with a fair bit of mirth on this site. To be sure, it indicates the precarious position the Booker campaign find themselves in.

But, it also indicates a self-awareness that nearly three quarters of the field lack. Candidates like Delaney, Bennet and Castro seem to believe that they are one viral moment, or one outlier poll away from an Iowa caucus win.

But Booker and his campaign clearly understand that the race is tightening, and without a significant improvement in fortunes, they are not going to be contenders for long.

I'm not about to throw my weight behind Booker, but I can at least respect his honesty and self-awareness, which is not something you can say about any of the other also-rans right not.

Booker actually wants to run again and has a decent shot at the VP slot.  Bowing out early is the right choice.

Bennet et al. just want some prominence, not a serious chance to win.  They saw Beto define himself as the party's point man on guns and say "hey, how come I can't be that?"
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 10:50:22 AM »

He has likely secured an appointment promise from somebody in the field who he will endorse later down the line.

So much for all those reports of his brilliant ground organization.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 10:50:40 AM »

Booker already said he wasnt interested in Veep
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 11:03:56 AM »

Booker already said he wasnt interested in Veep

Lots of folks have said that.  The minute you say you're interested in being VP, folks will shy away from your Presidential bid.

Just about every candidate who runs for President is interested in the VP position and would accept the nod.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 11:13:17 AM »

I liked his positions on criminal justice reform, even if I disagree with him on some other issues. If he does drop out, I'll miss his shining moments during the debates on his signature issue.
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 11:20:37 AM »

The cynic in me doesn’t quite buy this. Is his campaign actually about to end, or is this just a ploy to drum up more donations as the quarter ends by making the situation sound as dire as possible?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 11:22:56 AM »

What if he is already on pace to get this money, and now he also gets a free media cycle about how he overcame expectations?
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 11:27:24 AM »

What if he is already on pace to get this money, and now he also gets a free media cycle about how he overcame expectations?

My thoughts exactly.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 11:28:27 AM »

Kamala Harris and Booker have made 0 outreach to Rashurn Baker and many prominent Dems like Chris Van Hollen or Joe Kennedy to support their campaign.

Obama already had Richard M Daley support and white leadership in Chicago, to support him. Thats why David Axelrod switched from Edwards to Obama from 2004 to 2008.

The only person Harris to really support her was Gavin Newsom. But, yet again, she didnt do any joint press conferences with him on homelessness to get more support.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2019, 11:41:28 AM »

My guess is that he'll find some way to stick around for the fourth debate, after which we'll start to see the first (semi-) impactful drop outs.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2019, 11:53:15 AM »

Booker actually wants to run again and has a decent shot at the VP slot.  Bowing out early is the right choice.

Bennet et al. just want some prominence, not a serious chance to win.  They saw Beto define himself as the party's point man on guns and say "hey, how come I can't be that?"

That's a fair assessment. Booker does seem to have fairly decent intentions for running, and is well positioned for the future, whatever happens in the next two years, barring some unforeseen scandal.

He's tried to make a case for himself, and actually run to win, while a lot of the others are clearly here for the name recognition and book deals.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 12:07:47 PM »

Well, guess we won't be winning Utah this time. Cry
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2019, 12:40:50 PM »

Woah.

I give him and his staff respect - none of the other campaigns have been this self-reflective and honest.

I'm looking at you, Kirsten Gillibrand, who sent emails for donations HOURS before you dropped out.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2019, 01:06:08 PM »

Booker isnt dropping out
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2019, 01:11:32 PM »

He shot himself in the foot back in 2012 when he said that Obama's attacks on Romney about Bain were "nauseating".
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2019, 01:45:25 PM »

I give him and his staff respect - none of the other campaigns have been this self-reflective and honest.
He's a party loyalist and knows that Joe Biden is the only white politician left with a stranglehold on the black vote. He might as well leave gracefully and try again later.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2019, 01:57:56 PM »

+6% of the way there.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 03:31:29 PM »

I think he is a nice guy,but for some reason he can't come off authentic.  

It's because he isn't authentic.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies