Trump to join Modi at a rally in Houston
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:25:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump to join Modi at a rally in Houston
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Trump to join Modi at a rally in Houston  (Read 2875 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2019, 03:04:45 AM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/09/modi-trump-politics-daily/598510/

Hope it is to announce a trade deal or some trade alliance against the Chinese .
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 04:52:42 AM »

Modi does not deserve being legitimized by the American President in such a way. His policies in India have been atrocious and a blatant violation of human rights in Kashmir.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 05:34:36 AM »

Can't wait until Trumpists confuse him with a mooslem.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 09:59:24 AM »

Name a better duo /s
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 12:11:32 PM »

Well, that explains why God flooded Houston again this week.

Anyway, Trump will bloviate, make everything about him, claim India will buy huuuuggggeee quantities of US ag goods (narrator--they won't).  If Houstonians are lucky maybe he'll throw them some paper towels.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 12:40:11 PM »

Fort bend Safe D>tilt R IMO.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 12:56:38 PM »

Modi does not deserve being legitimized by the American President in such a way. His policies in India have been atrocious and a blatant violation of human rights in Kashmir.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 01:04:06 PM »

Its disgusting that an Indian Prime Minister is holding a rally for himself INSIDE the United States.  If this was the Mexican President or an Arab the Trumpists would be having a heart attack.  He should be denied access to the United States - again.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 04:27:18 PM »

Easy:

Source: https://forward.com/opinion/174710/margaret-thatcher-conservative-icon-was-wiser-than/
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 04:35:27 PM »

That moment where Trump will ask Modi to charm a snake is going to be lit.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 04:54:53 PM »

Are they leading a procession in the name of Kek?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 05:24:11 PM »

Wells's "Federated Nationalists" ride again, I guess. Yikes.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 06:46:54 PM »

I don’t think you understand what /s means
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 06:49:44 PM »

Lol, it never gets old watching people on here flip out over US politicians meeting with the elected leader of the world's largest democracy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 07:19:50 PM »

Meeting? Sure. Holding a campaign style rally, though?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 07:26:55 PM »

Meeting? Sure. Holding a campaign style rally, though?

Yeah, I have no objection to Trump meeting Modi, any more than I'd object to a US President meeting some other world leader whose policies I personally can't stand. Carrying political water for each other within their respective domestic contexts like they're video game bosses spamming shields and heals on each other or something is another story entirely.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2019, 07:52:18 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2019, 07:57:03 PM by NoobMaster69 »

Lol, it never gets old watching people on here flip out over US politicians meeting with the elected leader of the world's largest democracy.

Ofc the president should meet with the PM of the world’s most populous democracy. But a campaign rally? That’s a whole different ballgame bud .
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »

The event name is so cringe, Howdy Modi, smfh. I am sorry you have to deal with this bs (no pun intended I swear) Houston.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 08:02:17 PM »

The event name is so cringe, Howdy Modi, smfh. I am sorry you have to deal with this bs (no pun intended I swear) Houston.

...honestly that's so bad I'm sorry Modi has to deal with it too
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2019, 08:10:31 PM »

...honestly that's so bad I'm sorry Modi has to deal with it too

Lmao yeah XD, not even he deserves that haha
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2019, 08:33:38 PM »

Its disgusting that an Indian Prime Minister is holding a rally for himself INSIDE the United States.  If this was the Mexican President or an Arab the Trumpists would be having a heart attack.  He should be denied access to the United States - again.

I absolutely agree - This is a very concerning trend across the west. Modi has held a similar massive rally in the UK with David Cameron back in 2015, in Wembley Stadium, where a massive number of British of Indian ethnicity came to cheer him, waving Indian flags, chanting nationalist slogans calling Modi - not Cameron -  their Prime Minister. People, mind you, born and bred in Britain, with British nationality -  this is dangerous. Over here in Germany we have the same thing with Germans of Turkish Origin and Erdogan. We have had rallies in Melbourne and Vancouver by Australians and Canadians of Chinese Origin supporting "their Countrys" - China, that is - response in Hong Kong.

This is disloyalty, plain and simple. India perhaps, unlike China is not a national security threat in the immediate term, but how is this acceptable? If there were War, who would these people choose? We have thousands of potential enemy combatants in our countries. Sobering indeed. It should be said that, luckily, these people are a small minority of the various ethnic communities in the West. Most Asian immigrants, and that includes me, are loyal. But it still shows that we must strengthen our integration/assimilation approach towards immigrant communities. If the west doesnt, then we are in big trouble.

TBF there are a non-negligible number of Indian people in Houston who aren't US citizens - they're H1-B or green card holders and should be thought of as expatriates rather than as immigrants. I wouldn't say it's "disloyal" for them to attend an event for the leader of their home country.

I would guess this event will mostly attract the expat/recent immigrant crowd.

The Indian-Americans I know are families that mostly came here in the '70s/'80s and wouldn't necessarily connect with Modi's brand of politics since they largely grew up in the older Congress Party era.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2019, 09:02:19 PM »

Can't wait until Trumpists confuse him with a mooslem.

Tbf, despite Modi's ethnic group of Gujaratis being overwhelmingly Hindu, there are millions of muslims who are Gujarati as well, so by looks alone I can't blame people.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2019, 11:23:52 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2019, 11:41:47 PM by Lfromnj stands with Sanchez. »

I wonder what the demographics will be.
Sure Indians hate Trump but they also Love Modi and considering its Houston/Fort bend I could definitely see a lot of Indian expats coming to this rally.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2019, 11:27:57 PM »

Trump's probably there to announce Trump Tower Chennai. Non-refundable deposits of course.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 11:33:10 PM »

Its disgusting that an Indian Prime Minister is holding a rally for himself INSIDE the United States.  If this was the Mexican President or an Arab the Trumpists would be having a heart attack.  He should be denied access to the United States - again.

I absolutely agree - This is a very concerning trend across the west. Modi has held a similar massive rally in the UK with David Cameron back in 2015, in Wembley Stadium, where a massive number of British of Indian ethnicity came to cheer him, waving Indian flags, chanting nationalist slogans calling Modi - not Cameron -  their Prime Minister. People, mind you, born and bred in Britain, with British nationality -  this is dangerous. Over here in Germany we have the same thing with Germans of Turkish Origin and Erdogan. We have had rallies in Melbourne and Vancouver by Australians and Canadians of Chinese Origin supporting "their Countrys" - China, that is - response in Hong Kong.

This is disloyalty, plain and simple. India perhaps, unlike China is not a national security threat in the immediate term, but how is this acceptable? If there were War, who would these people choose? We have thousands of potential enemy combatants in our countries. Sobering indeed. It should be said that, luckily, these people are a small minority of the various ethnic communities in the West. Most Asian immigrants, and that includes me, are loyal. But it still shows that we must strengthen our integration/assimilation approach towards immigrant communities. If the west doesnt, then we are in big trouble.

TBF there are a non-negligible number of Indian people in Houston who aren't US citizens - they're H1-B or green card holders and should be thought of as expatriates rather than as immigrants. I wouldn't say it's "disloyal" for them to attend an event for the leader of their home country.

I would guess this event will mostly attract the expat/recent immigrant crowd.

The Indian-Americans I know are families that mostly came here in the '70s/'80s and wouldn't necessarily connect with Modi's brand of politics since they largely grew up in the older Congress Party era.

They shouldn't even be here to begin with then.  THIS is the major problem with our immigration system.  Not the poor Mexicans who come here to work in the fields or as maids.  The "highly skilled" Indians who come here to work minimum wage for corporations as help desk people & move back to India as soon as they've made enough money.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies