Trump to join Modi at a rally in Houston
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:00:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump to join Modi at a rally in Houston
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Trump to join Modi at a rally in Houston  (Read 2893 times)
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2019, 08:19:35 AM »

Has there been any discussion or big announcement of some bilateral action yet? I haven’t and won’t watch both of them at the same time, already hard enough to watch on serpent slither let alone two.

Also I feel so sorry for one of my heroes, Gandhi, having his name even uttered in there (singing like happy bday or something), it’s those who would have absolutely loved Modi and his Thackeray allies that had him killed.

Just stop the vast majority of Modi supporters love Gandhi as well

Just sayin, his rss style ilk did it.

Southern Right Wingers back in the day supported slavery . I doubt even 1% of southern right wingers today support slavery

How progressive. Let’s ask about interracial marriages now
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2019, 09:07:30 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2019, 02:24:06 PM by Edgar Suit Larry »

Has there been any discussion or big announcement of some bilateral action yet? I haven’t and won’t watch both of them at the same time, already hard enough to watch on serpent slither let alone two.

Also I feel so sorry for one of my heroes, Gandhi, having his name even uttered in there (singing like happy bday or something), it’s those who would have absolutely loved Modi and his Thackeray allies that had him killed.

Just stop the vast majority of Modi supporters love Gandhi as well

Just sayin, his rss style ilk did it.

Southern Right Wingers back in the day supported slavery . I doubt even 1% of southern right wingers today support slavery

How progressive. Let’s ask about interracial marriages now

They are also Indians who despise Ghandi for not buying into Hindu nationalism or for generally tolerating the Muslims.

My best friend, the guy I keep trying to get to come one here grew up in Bangalore (we started hanging within the first couple of weeks he came here), is a pretty aggressive Berniebro who is more or less left-wing down the list except that he is comfortable with the death penalty. He also thinks that renewables are a scam perpetrated by Big Oil to stop adaptation of Nuclear Power (his industry). He loves Modi and thinks that he is only a religious nut because he has to be (basically how my socially liberal Republican ex-inlaws talked about how much they liked W). He thinks the opposition is more "conservative" than Modi because they are not as interested in infrastructure and the safety net as he is. He also thinks they are very corrupt. He thinks the two Tamil parties are especially stupid and also has a strong personal disdain for Muslims and is conflicted as I am about the Israel thing. He doesn't hate people for being Muslim but had a lot of bad experiences with them growing up. I talk to him about people giving themselves seizures in Pentecostal church instead of doing Eucharist. He then makes fun of Chrisitanity and then talks about how his Muslim friends would have violent seizures while torturing animals to death as part of their rituals. He's an aggressive atheist.
SInNYC

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2019, 08:57:36 AM »

They are also Indians who despise Ghandi for not buying into Hindu nationalism or for generally tolerating the Muslims.

My best friend, the guy I keep trying to get to come one here grew up in Bangalore (we started hanging within the first couple of weeks he came here), is a pretty aggressive Berniebro who is more or less left-wing down the list except that he is comfortable with the death penalty. He also thinks that renewables are a scam perpetrated by Big Oil to stop adaptation of Nuclear Power (his industry). He loves Modi and thinks that he is only a religious nut because he has to be (basically how my socially liberal Republican ex-inlaws talked about how much they liked W). He thinks the opposition is more "conservative" than Modi because they are not as interested in infrastructure and the safety net as he is. He also thinks they are very corrupt. He thinks the two Tamil parties are especially stupid and also has a strong personal disdain for Muslims and is conflicted as I am about the Israel thing. He doesn't hate people for being Muslim but had a lot of bad experiences with them growing up. I talk to him about people giving themselves seizures in Pentecostal church instead of doing Eucharist. He then makes fun of Chrisitanity and then talks about how his Muslim friends would have violent seizures while torturing animals to death as part of their rituals. He's an aggressive atheist.

I think quite a few Indians fit that mold (other than the energy stuff due to his self-interest). But the interesting thing is that it was Congress that passed the first real safety net of the modern era - 100 day guaranteed jobs for rural areas. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rural_Employment_Guarantee_Act%2C_2005). To his credit, Modi has continued to expand the safety net, though I'm not sure I would trust him if the economy continues to tank.

The right hate Gandhi for making India secular instead of Hindu, but also want credit for being the land that produced an international hero; thus the dichotomy.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2019, 09:21:50 AM »

I think quite a few Indians fit that mold (other than the energy stuff due to his self-interest). But the interesting thing is that it was Congress that passed the first real safety net of the modern era - 100 day guaranteed jobs for rural areas. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rural_Employment_Guarantee_Act%2C_2005). To his credit, Modi has continued to expand the safety net, though I'm not sure I would trust him if the economy continues to tank.

The right hate Gandhi for making India secular instead of Hindu, but also want credit for being the land that produced an international hero; thus the dichotomy.

What would a Hindu India even look like? Would meat be illegal or something? A lot of those guys have very strict and weird diets. One accidentally bought pork rinds and it took me a while to man up to tell them what they were eating.
SInNYC

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2019, 10:34:54 AM »

What would a Hindu India even look like? Would meat be illegal or something? A lot of those guys have very strict and weird diets. One accidentally bought pork rinds and it took me a while to man up to tell them what they were eating.

I knew a far right Indian, so I've actually been bombarded with some of these beliefs. I think Hindu and Indian "nationalism" get merged. They of course want Hindu laws (eg, no cow slaughter), and are particularly against Indian law that allows Moslems to use their religious law for civil matters (eg, divorce). But they also have a form of Indian exceptionalism ascribing to ancient India all good things that exist in the world today. The nuttier ones also extend this to modern India  that supposedly had all its creations plagiarized. The more far right you get, the nuttier, with some taking myths from scriptures literally. And of course, they deny any science or history that contradicts their beliefs (fortunately, the really important-to-future stuff like climate change doesnt contradict their beliefs).

As far as I know, pork per-se isnt against Hinduism (and only about 20% of Hindus are vegetarian by choice), but there is no pork culture in India, probably because they were invaded by Moslems before the British.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2019, 10:52:30 AM »

I knew a far right Indian, so I've actually been bombarded with some of these beliefs. I think Hindu and Indian "nationalism" get merged. They of course want Hindu laws (eg, no cow slaughter), and are particularly against Indian law that allows Moslems to use their religious law for civil matters (eg, divorce). But they also have a form of Indian exceptionalism ascribing to ancient India all good things that exist in the world today. The nuttier ones also extend this to modern India  that supposedly had all its creations plagiarized. The more far right you get, the nuttier, with some taking myths from scriptures literally. And of course, they deny any science or history that contradicts their beliefs (fortunately, the really important-to-future stuff like climate change doesnt contradict their beliefs).

As far as I know, pork per-se isnt against Hinduism (and only about 20% of Hindus are vegetarian by choice), but there is no pork culture in India, probably because they were invaded by Moslems before the British.

My understanding is that the “activist base” of the BJP are like the crazy dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Thinking the Indio-Aryans invented everything.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2019, 09:18:15 PM »

My understanding is that the “activist base” of the BJP are like the crazy dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Thinking the Indio-Aryans invented everything.

Yeah, the Dravidians have been treated badly, I really feel for them too.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies