Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 06:15:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 91
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)  (Read 129722 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: January 12, 2020, 10:26:56 PM »

She broadened her critique of Sanders to include his behavior in 2016, which he has always defended. “We all saw the impact of the factionalism in 2016, and we can’t have a repeat of that,” Warren said.

Warren’s team also unveiled a new contrast between herself and the other top candidates. As he was introducing Warren on Sunday, former housing secretary Julián Castro, a Warren surrogate, said that roughly a quarter of the Democratic Party would be “unhappy” if Sanders is the nominee. Castro also noted that about a quarter of the party would be “unhappy” if Biden is picked. Only Warren, he said, “can bring this party together.”

Source - Washington Post

Very clever narrative to arrest crashing poll numbers. But this will has totally derailed the Bernie vs Biden showdown about Iraq War & NAFTA & electability.

Very sad what Warren has done.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #851 on: January 12, 2020, 10:57:29 PM »

Cinemark

« Reply #852 on: January 12, 2020, 11:00:46 PM »

So much drama over such a tiny thing.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #853 on: January 12, 2020, 11:09:35 PM »

Bernie isn't actually surging, and he certainly isn't "closing in" on the establishment candidates.

Him leading in IA, NH, and appearing close in NV are easy examples of him closing in on the establishment candidates. What else would constitute closing in on them?

Being less than 9 points behind Biden and not hovering around the same 20% mark he has been near for the entire campaign would be a start. Let's be real; the only candidate who has ever assembled a coalition that could beat Biden was Warren back in October and that quickly fell apart. Bernie certainly isn't gonna be able to do it.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #854 on: January 12, 2020, 11:10:40 PM »

I was on a flight back to Oklahoma, caught the NFL playoff games, and logged into Atlas an hour ago to do mod duties and get caught up on the overall primary campaign and I come back to this.

Honestly I don't think it's good politics to categorize her "to bring no new bases in the party", especially prior to Iowa, even if there's truth to it but I think the outrage on this board (surprise! surprise!) is too much. If I were making a script, I'd ask said Warren leaner to consider Sanders if Warren flames out at this stage. With that said, I think this political miscalculation and confusion on how widespread this seems for me to cause to question how chaotic Sanders 2020 campaign is which in turn causes me to be concerned about how much of a mess a hypothetical administration would be.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #855 on: January 12, 2020, 11:22:24 PM »

Again: Candidate draws contrast between themselves and another candidate in an election. Film at 11.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #856 on: January 12, 2020, 11:30:04 PM »

Bernie is entirely within his rights to go negative, but these phone bank scripts are absurdly terrible strategy.

Calling a Biden supporter and telling them "nobody is excited" about their candidate is incredibly dismissive of the affection that person likely has for Biden.

Calling a Pete supporter and telling them that Black and young people don't support him can easily make one feel as though their support is considered less important, and of course opens the door for an incredibly awkward confrontation if the phone banker calls a Black or young person supporting Buttigieg.

Calling a Warren supporter and telling them "she is the candidate of the elite" is essentially calling that voter an elitist. You can imagine a parent who works paycheck to paycheck and struggling to pay their healthcare premium being incredibly taken aback by that, and of course insulted. The line about her supporters being people who will vote Democratic no matter what is particularly gross - again dismissive of the importance of someone's support.

I plan to vote for Sanders, and I would imagine much of his base will enjoy these talking points. But it will not grow his support, and these scripts demonstrate a stunning lack of self-awareness among his campaign and an underlying problem of his team not understanding a lot of the resistance to his candidacy.

This is probably true for high-information voters. High information voters would be fairly likely to feel insulted, as you say, if i.e. they are told that nobody is excited about Biden/Warren is the candidate of the Elite/etc.

However:

1) There are a lot less high-information voters than one is inclined to think. The vast majority of actual voters pay very little attention to politics. If you tell the average Biden supporter, for example, that nobody is excited about Biden, they won't really care much because they are not actually particularly committed to Biden and don't pay very much attention to politics. They are likely to react by saying something like "oh, I didn't know that, really, you think? Well, I guess maybe so." Someone posted these videos in another thread, it is worth watching a few to remind oneself how poorly informed a great many voters are - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKn7IIoaFFoDgf7xCNb-2cO_EtwLxYecr

2) High information voters have made up their mind by themselves, and are not going to be persuaded regardless. For example, if one of these Bernie scripts pisses of a Biden/Buttigieg/whoever supporter, that doesn't really matter because this high-information voter was nearly certain to vote in any case, and to vote for Biden/Buttigieg/whoever.

It is true that high information voters are likely to be over-represented in primaries because they have lower turnout than GEs, but there are still a hell of a lot of low-information voters out there. And frankly, medium-information voters are people who people like you or I who are posting on the internet about the election would consider to be low-information voters.

1.) The Democratic Party is still the Party of Working Class Voters (Regardless of the major swings among upper-middle class educated voters in '16 and '18).

2.) The Bernie campaign of '20  still includes a huge number of Working-Class Voters....

3.) Bernie is definitely performing better among Working-Class Latino voters in 2020 than in 2016, as well as Working-Class Asian-American and Black-American voters.

4.) Biden is definitely taking a chunk of older WWC voters compared to Bernie '16 (Hence the 2nd choice option of Biden supporters nationally).

5.) Warren & Bernie are both running the "Left lane" of the DEM primary, but Warren appears to be performing much better among educated Democratic Women (Many of whom voted HRC in the DEM '16 Primaries).

6.) "High Information Voters (HIV)" are definitely much smaller than one might imagine on BOTH the Democratic and Republican  sides of the House....

7.) This will have little to any impact on the Democratic Primary Season, and if anything might be a net boon to Bernie as part of the final push across the Goal Line in IA, NH, and NV.....

8.) Nothing to see here, move along folks.....
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #857 on: January 12, 2020, 11:50:08 PM »

I hope they plan on continuing to expose that charlatan. It's long overdue.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #858 on: January 13, 2020, 03:09:53 AM »

Sending volunteers out to the doors to talk sh**t about other Democrats is disgusting but it’s Sanders so his fans will hand wave it and call people who don’t like it sensitive but would have been ready to burn down Warren HQ if she even THOUGHT of doing that to him.

Seems like everyone's freaking out over a non-story

https://twitter.com/ericisaac/status/1216445568148480002

But don't let the facts interrupt an opportunity to rant about THE BROS!
Seems like you’re disseminating misinformation from a crazed Bernie stan trying to kill the story:

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #859 on: January 13, 2020, 10:21:21 AM »

Catch your tears in a glass for me, snowflakes... they are so, so, so sweet. 
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #860 on: January 13, 2020, 10:30:12 AM »

Sending volunteers out to the doors to talk sh**t about other Democrats is disgusting but it’s Sanders so his fans will hand wave it and call people who don’t like it sensitive but would have been ready to burn down Warren HQ if she even THOUGHT of doing that to him.

Seems like you’re disseminating misinformation from a crazed Bernie stan trying to kill the story:
-tweet-

Was there ever a story to begin with? Isn’t the point of a primary for candidates to compare and contrast themselves with other candidates?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #861 on: January 13, 2020, 10:38:07 AM »

-tweet-

Was there ever a story to begin with? Isn’t the point of a primary for candidates to compare and contrast themselves with other candidates?

No, there is no story.  This is desperation from a floundering campaign that has watched union after union, progressive group after progressive group, and voter after voter flock to the candidate they themselves sought to emulate.  The "story" is contrived nonsense from an establishment media that is panicking because it seems very, very possible that Sanders will be the Democratic nominee.  

It's rather pathetic, really.  And shame on the class traitors on Atlas who do their bidding for them.  These media buffoons and DNC lackeys don't give af about you, fellers.  Time to face reality.  
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #862 on: January 13, 2020, 10:45:23 AM »

It's a disgusting attack initiated by Briahna. Sanders people on Twitter are spreading misinformation claiming that it is just a "new volunteer on Slack" when their Comms Dr. was pushing the same line of attack almost word-for-word. That the Sanders campaign is going well only adds more mystification as to why they are pushing this now. The Warren supporters I know are furious, this will make them less likely to come over to Sanders if they have to face that choice. I don't see how it helps Sanders as well. Shame as they have been running a good campaign otherwise.
bilaps
« Reply #863 on: January 13, 2020, 10:46:26 AM »

If Warren weren't a fake, she would've endorsed Sanders in 2016 primary. She's gonna tank.
bilaps
« Reply #864 on: January 13, 2020, 10:48:00 AM »

It's a disgusting attack initiated by Briahna. Sanders people on Twitter are spreading misinformation claiming that it is just a "new volunteer on Slack" when their Comms Dr. was pushing the same line of attack almost word-for-word. That the Sanders campaign is going well only adds more mystification as to why they are pushing this now. The Warren supporters I know are furious, this will make them less likely to come over to Sanders if they have to face that choice. I don't see how it helps Sanders as well. Shame as they have been running a good campaign otherwise.

I mean it's a basically the level 0,000001 of negativity. Stop it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #865 on: January 13, 2020, 11:06:27 AM »

Sanders people on Twitter are spreading misinformation claiming that it is just a "new volunteer on Slack" when their Comms Dr. was pushing the same line of attack almost word-for-word.
It's polling data. It's going to sound the same no matter who it's coming from. Is Quinnipiac pushing a "disgusting attack" on Warren when they show the same thing?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #866 on: January 13, 2020, 11:57:50 AM »

If the Biden or Warren campaign started something similar and pointed out how abysmal Bernie's numbers are (and were from 2016) with older voters they'd moan about it and call it an attack too even though it's a fact that he doesn't do well with them. It's a shame that they'd stoop this low, but I should've known because this isn't anything new from the Sanders campaign.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #867 on: January 13, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »

Once again regardless of what joy Gray says the file had no official Sanders campaign look & was a fan made. Again all that is irrelevant because it was the truth. It acknowledges that Warren is the 2nd choice of many progressives, praises her but points out that her base is largely affluent people & she was not adding the working class Independent minded voter which Sanders was bringing in.

That is the truth. An attack would be Warren lying about her Native American Heritage & using it to take plum teaching positions.

What Warren did is disgusting. Her campaign attacked Bernie & fund-raised off it. Julian Castro who had 0% support viciously attacked Bernie in presence of Warren for having 25% supposed ceiling.

She created this drama to save her sinking campaign & to stop Bernie's momentum & it is disgusting how her supporters are cheering her on. She has exposed herself as a vile human being.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #868 on: January 13, 2020, 12:12:26 PM »

Sanders surges as progressives flock to him over Warren

Something’s happening with Bernie Sanders that looked unlikely to many a few months ago: Progressive leaders and organizations are lining up behind him, not Elizabeth Warren, in the lead-up to voting. Two groups run by young people — the Sunrise Movement, which seeks to combat climate change, and Dream Defenders, which advocates for people of color — endorsed him last week. He’s also won the backing of People’s Action and the Center for Popular Democracy, which together claim more than 1.5 million members.

Now, in addition to giving the 78-year-old candidate’s campaign a burst of youthfulness, the endorsements by groups like the Sunrise Movement are also providing him with a larger grass-roots army. People’s Action is active in Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and Super Tuesday states. Sunrise Movement has a field program in Iowa and New Hampshire, as well as an independent expenditure that will back Sanders. The group said it is working to get 10,000 young people in Iowa to sign cards pledging to vote.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/13/sanders-progressives-flock-warren-098065
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #869 on: January 13, 2020, 01:17:40 PM »

CNN drops a nuke into the Dem. primary race:

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #870 on: January 13, 2020, 01:20:47 PM »

David Sirota has been attacking the other candidates non-stop on Twitter.  Jeff Weaver and Briahna Joy Gray have been pushing out talking points, both in public and (much more aggressively) in private, against other candidates.  These talking points often go directly to media sources allied with the campaign (Jacobin/CommonDreams/TruthOut and lefty YouTube).  Nina Turner wrote an op-ed just this weekend, published in SC, that was a gish gallop of attacks on Biden.

So when Bernie says "we're not going to attack anyone" when his entire senior brain trust is out there attacking people, forgive me for thinking it's just lie #1000000.
Cinemark

« Reply #871 on: January 13, 2020, 01:22:28 PM »

Things are about to get UGLY...
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #872 on: January 13, 2020, 01:23:42 PM »

Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #873 on: January 13, 2020, 01:24:30 PM »

Tomorrow's debate is going to get ugly if this gets brought up.
bilaps
« Reply #874 on: January 13, 2020, 01:29:41 PM »

Well, CNN goes all in. Imagine my surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies