Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 12:35:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 91
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread v2 (pg 77 - declares victory in Iowa)  (Read 129696 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: December 14, 2019, 04:15:45 AM »

A very interesting read from Business Insider

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/bernie-sanders-internet-as-utility-plan-explainer-2019-12?r=US&IR=T

It's a very interesting plan, to say the least. Generally it uses a combination of anti-trust laws and FCC regulation combined with public funds.

We should just do universal fiber.

Google Fiber was killed because of sabotage from the existing ISPs.  Not only did they attack Fiber with every weapon available, they also had their technicians physically sabotage Fiber, doing things like "accidentally" cutting lines, causing outages, etc.

Universal 1GB/s internet could be revolutionary.  Right now streaming is the most difficult thing for an ISP to handle, but after Netflix disrupted the industry by making streaming a requirement, the ISPs had to adapt.  Maybe with 1GB/s internet widely available, someone will come along with the next brilliant new service to take advantage of it, that would never have been discovered without the feasibility provided by fiber.

We have the technology, we have the test cases, we know how to make it work if the government puts its muscle behind it.  Let's keep America the most technologically advanced nation in the world.

That's another good point, but from what I see, the idea behind Sanders' plan to essentially to make the internet a public utility.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #676 on: December 14, 2019, 05:17:04 PM »

It’s funny but Biden/moderate later focus on Warren has let Bernie quietly get back into the second spot and within spitting distance of Biden

Is he really “within spitting distance,” though?
Hollywood
« Reply #677 on: December 14, 2019, 07:20:25 PM »

It’s funny but Biden/moderate later focus on Warren has let Bernie quietly get back into the second spot and within spitting distance of Biden

Would you accept the analogy of him being "stones throw away" from Biden?  What about a "hop and skip"?   
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #678 on: December 14, 2019, 07:50:15 PM »

Would you accept the analogy of him being "stones throw away" from Biden?  What about a "hop and skip"?   

Don't bother.  The Young DNC FanClub of America over here is having a collective breakdown over Bernie's momentum.  You can't win. 
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #679 on: December 15, 2019, 01:43:28 PM »

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #680 on: December 15, 2019, 01:49:12 PM »

When establishment Democrats attack them unprovoked, can you really blame them?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #681 on: December 15, 2019, 02:16:39 PM »

The actual Democratic establishment has, to my great irritation, bent over backwards for him and kissed the ring.  They gave him every concession he wanted at the convention and let him write the platform.  They gave his people power in the DNC.  They held a "unity commission" with f***ing Nomiki Konst.  Tom Perez spent months traveling around the country with Sanders on a "unity tour".  They changed all the primary rules to meet his demands - part of the reason we have so many losers on stage this cycle is because of rules that were changed for the Sanders campaign.  And the DNC and actual Democratic establishment are scared to death to criticize him since they've seen how powerful the "rigging" accusation is and how willing Sanders is to torch the party.

Most of the time when Sanders acolytes complain about the "establishment" criticizing him they're complaining about individual Democrats who have some connection to the party or a think tank, or even no connection but just part of the mainstream media or Congress.

I guess they won't be happy until nobody has any anti-Bernie opinions.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #682 on: December 15, 2019, 03:08:40 PM »

The actual Democratic establishment has, to my great irritation, bent over backwards for him and kissed the ring.  They gave him every concession he wanted at the convention and let him write the platform.  They gave his people power in the DNC.  They held a "unity commission" with f***ing Nomiki Konst.  Tom Perez spent months traveling around the country with Sanders on a "unity tour".  They changed all the primary rules to meet his demands - part of the reason we have so many losers on stage this cycle is because of rules that were changed for the Sanders campaign.  And the DNC and actual Democratic establishment are scared to death to criticize him since they've seen how powerful the "rigging" accusation is and how willing Sanders is to torch the party.

Most of the time when Sanders acolytes complain about the "establishment" criticizing him they're complaining about individual Democrats who have some connection to the party or a think tank, or even no connection but just part of the mainstream media or Congress.

Please do explain why then when Keith Ellison was set to be DNC chair, Obama basically had Tom Perez jump in at the last second? How was that anything but an attempt to maintain control over the party and push a Sanders supporter out of a leadership position?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #683 on: December 15, 2019, 03:15:39 PM »

Please do explain why then when Keith Ellison was set to be DNC chair, Obama basically had Tom Perez jump in at the last second? How was that anything but an attempt to maintain control over the party and push a Sanders supporter out of a leadership position?

Keith Ellison was not "set to be DNC Chair" and pushed out of a position, he ran for the position and lost in close race against Tom Perez. Afterwards, he was named Deputy Chair which he later resigned for other reasons.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #684 on: December 15, 2019, 03:18:13 PM »

Man, in 2022 y'all are gonna be saying Bernie Sanders was "set to be the nominee" before the establishment asked Biden to jump in.

Also thank God Obama asked Perez to run given how Ellison's career has gone since.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #685 on: December 15, 2019, 03:18:29 PM »

Keith Ellison was not "set to be DNC Chair" and pushed out of a position, he ran for the position and lost in close race against Tom Perez. Afterwards, he was named Deputy Chair which he later resigned for other reasons.

You didn't answer my question and this essentially proves my point. He was the frontrunner for a leadership position and then Perez, at Obama's request, jumps in at the last second. Please do explain to me how this was anything but an attempt to prevent a Sanders supporter from getting that position.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #686 on: December 15, 2019, 03:19:08 PM »

Man, in 2022 y'all are gonna be saying Bernie Sanders was "set to be the nominee" before the establishment asked Biden to jump in.

Also thank God Obama asked Perez to run given how Ellison's career has gone since.

You're not actually addressing what I said.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #687 on: December 15, 2019, 03:26:06 PM »

You didn't answer my question and this essentially proves my point. He was the frontrunner for a leadership position and then Perez, at Obama's request, jumps in at the last second. Please do explain to me how this was anything but an attempt to prevent a Sanders supporter from getting that position.

Where is the point? You could also argue Hillary was the frontrunner for 2016 if Bernie had actually won the nomination? Until progressives asked him to jump in? What's wrong with President Obama making a suggestion for DNC Chair? It's not that Ellison was cheated in the race. And if he won, Obama would have congretulated him and moved on.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #688 on: December 15, 2019, 03:30:37 PM »

The actual Democratic establishment has, to my great irritation, bent over backwards for him and kissed the ring.  They gave him every concession he wanted at the convention and let him write the platform.  They gave his people power in the DNC.  They held a "unity commission" with f***ing Nomiki Konst.  Tom Perez spent months traveling around the country with Sanders on a "unity tour".  They changed all the primary rules to meet his demands - part of the reason we have so many losers on stage this cycle is because of rules that were changed for the Sanders campaign.  And the DNC and actual Democratic establishment are scared to death to criticize him since they've seen how powerful the "rigging" accusation is and how willing Sanders is to torch the party.

Where is the point? You could also argue Hillary was the frontrunner for 2016 if Bernie had actually won the nomination? Until progressives asked him to jump in? What's wrong with President Obama making a suggestion for DNC Chair? It's not that Ellison was cheated in the race. And if he won, Obama would have congretulated him and moved on.

He didn't 'suggest' him for anything. Ellison was the frontrunner in the race, so he got Perez to jump to stop that from happening.

You're not actually refuting anything I'm saying
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #689 on: December 15, 2019, 03:41:00 PM »

The actual Democratic establishment has, to my great irritation, bent over backwards for him and kissed the ring.  They gave him every concession he wanted at the convention and let him write the platform.  They gave his people power in the DNC.  They held a "unity commission" with f***ing Nomiki Konst.  Tom Perez spent months traveling around the country with Sanders on a "unity tour".  They changed all the primary rules to meet his demands - part of the reason we have so many losers on stage this cycle is because of rules that were changed for the Sanders campaign.  And the DNC and actual Democratic establishment are scared to death to criticize him since they've seen how powerful the "rigging" accusation is and how willing Sanders is to torch the party.

He didn't 'suggest' him for anything. Ellison was the frontrunner in the race, so he got Perez to jump to stop that from happening.

Frontrunner doesn't mean he - or anyone - is entitled to something? I don't see what was wrong on Obama's part, given that he felt Perez would do a better job. It was a fair and close election and in retrospect the right decision.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #690 on: December 15, 2019, 03:46:33 PM »

Frontrunner doesn't mean he - or anyone - is entitled to something? I don't see what was wrong on Obama's part, given that he felt Perez would do a better job. It was a fair and close election and in retrospect the right decision.

From what I remember, the evidence seemd to support Obama basically ordering him to run specifically to stop Ellison.

Again, you're not actually addressing the second point.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #691 on: December 15, 2019, 05:11:53 PM »

This is such a silly complaint, man.

There's nothing wrong with Obama going out and asking someone to run for a position if he feels that person would do a better job.  If Ellison was such a great candidate he wouldn't have gotten his ass whooped by a "last-minute entrant" (by the way, that "last-minute" was two months before the race, and Perez/Obama probably waited until after the 2016 election to decide).

That isn't an establishment conspiracy to stop Bernie Sanders.  And it's certainly not something that justifies Bernie leading his supporters to boo the "Democratic establishment" over Republicans and Trump.

By the way, wasn't one of Bernie's chief complaints in 2016 that the DNC wasn't impartial, and he wanted it to be impartial?  Why is it a big conspiracy that Ellison didn't become chair, if the point was for the DNC to be impartial?  Could it be that Bernie actually wanted Ellison to make the DNC an arm of the Sanders campaign?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #692 on: December 15, 2019, 05:16:23 PM »

The actual Democratic establishment has, to my great irritation, bent over backwards for him and kissed the ring.  

LOL, the actual Democratic establishment of Pelosi and Schumer had secret anti-Bernie meetings with Buttigieg that were hosted by Chinese operative Bernard Schwartz.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #693 on: December 15, 2019, 06:11:15 PM »

The actual Democratic establishment has, to my great irritation, bent over backwards for him and kissed the ring.  

LOL, the actual Democratic establishment of Pelosi and Schumer had secret anti-Bernie meetings with Buttigieg that were hosted by Chinese operative Bernard Schwartz.

This is a myth:

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #694 on: December 15, 2019, 06:47:24 PM »

This is a myth:

Berniecrats revel in conspiracy theories, especially when they fuel their persecution complexes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #695 on: December 15, 2019, 08:57:43 PM »

This is a myth:

Berniecrats revel in conspiracy theories, especially when they fuel their persecution complexes.

So you believe this is a conspiracy theory?

The discussion about Mr. Sanders has to date been largely confined to private settings because — like establishment Republicans in 2016 — Democrats are uneasy about elevating him or alienating his supporters.

The matter of What To Do About Bernie and the larger imperative of party unity has, for example, hovered over a series of previously undisclosed Democratic dinners in New York and Washington organized by the longtime party financier Bernard Schwartz. The gatherings have included scores from the moderate or center-left wing of the party, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California; Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the minority leader; former Gov. Terry McAuliffe of Virginia; Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind., himself a presidential candidate; and the president of the Center for American Progress, Neera Tanden.

“He did us a disservice in the last election,” said Mr. Schwartz, a longtime Clinton supporter who said he would support former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. in this primary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/16/us/politics/bernie-sanders-democratic-party.html
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #696 on: December 15, 2019, 09:00:38 PM »

This is a myth:

So you believe this is a conspiracy theory?

The discussion about Mr. Sanders has to date been largely confined to private settings because — like establishment Republicans in 2016 — Democrats are uneasy about elevating him or alienating his supporters.

The matter of What To Do About Bernie and the larger imperative of party unity has, for example, hovered over a series of previously undisclosed Democratic dinners in New York and Washington organized by the longtime party financier Bernard Schwartz. The gatherings have included scores from the moderate or center-left wing of the party, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California; Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, the minority leader; former Gov. Terry McAuliffe of Virginia; Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind., himself a presidential candidate; and the president of the Center for American Progress, Neera Tanden.

“He did us a disservice in the last election,” said Mr. Schwartz, a longtime Clinton supporter who said he would support former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. in this primary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/16/us/politics/bernie-sanders-democratic-party.html

This article was written by the "corporate media" and therefore I do not have to read it or grapple with its contents. Smiley
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #697 on: December 15, 2019, 11:40:47 PM »

There's nothing wrong with Obama going out and asking someone to run for a position if he feels that person would do a better job.  If Ellison was such a great candidate he wouldn't have gotten his ass whooped by a "last-minute entrant" (by the way, that "last-minute" was two months before the race, and Perez/Obama probably waited until after the 2016 election to decide).

That isn't an establishment conspiracy to stop Bernie Sanders.  And it's certainly not something that justifies Bernie leading his supporters to boo the "Democratic establishment" over Republicans and Trump.

By the way, wasn't one of Bernie's chief complaints in 2016 that the DNC wasn't impartial, and he wanted it to be impartial?  Why is it a big conspiracy that Ellison didn't become chair, if the point was for the DNC to be impartial?  Could it be that Bernie actually wanted Ellison to make the DNC an arm of the Sanders campaign?

You're assuming either of them acted in good faith, which is a bad start. Perez was apparently extremely reluctant to run in the first place, and was basically shoved in by Obama, or at least that's what every single media outlet said, and then we were told there was no difference in their positions. Why would Perez be forced to run if he and Ellison had fundamentally similar ideas?

Answer: It was a concerted effort to halt a progressive from attaining a leadership position.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #698 on: December 16, 2019, 01:53:21 AM »

You're assuming either of them acted in good faith, which is a bad start. Perez was apparently extremely reluctant to run in the first place, and was basically shoved in by Obama, or at least that's what every single media outlet said, and then we were told there was no difference in their positions. Why would Perez be forced to run if he and Ellison had fundamentally similar ideas?

Answer: It was a concerted effort to halt a progressive from attaining a leadership position.

Maybe Obama, having worked with Perez for several years, thought he would be a more effective leader than the easily-demonized, obviously biased Ellison?

I also don't see what's wrong with trying to stop a Bernie ally from taking over the DNC.  Bernie's obviously playing a partisan game and declared war on the DNC, why isn't the DNC allowed to push back?  Perez easily defeated Ellison so obviously Ellison wasn't a very appealing candidate in the first place.

You're acting like this was all some big conspiracy to stop Sanders from gaining power when there's really no conspiracy to it.  There are a lot of reasons why Obama and the majority of DNC members preferred Perez to Ellison.  Ellison being a pawn of Sanders was one of those reasons.  It probably wasn't the most important reason.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #699 on: December 16, 2019, 02:18:12 AM »

Tom Perez was considered something of a progressive hero too, up until the moment he dared to challenge Ellison.
Supporting Sanders and his minions isn't the be-all end-all of progressivism.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 91  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies