HB 20-2: LGBT Protection Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:35:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 20-2: LGBT Protection Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: HB 20-2: LGBT Protection Act (Passed)  (Read 4781 times)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2019, 04:09:33 PM »
« edited: October 26, 2019, 12:37:41 AM by Speaker YE »

LGBT Protection Act

1. No organization, society, or other group of more than ten people which is otherwise open to members of the public may exclude an Atlasian who identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender on the basis of their sexual identity.
a. This includes but is not limited to golf clubs, trade unions, professional associations, card clubs, or sporting clubs.

2. No public or charter school which receives funding from the Government of Atlasia, may exclude children who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender or children who are raised in a household by parents who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender on the basis of the sexual identity of either the child or the parent(s). This does not apply to private schools.

3. The Office of the LGBT Advocate (run by NPCs) is hereby established, under the Office of the Attorney General, with the purpose of investigating and prosecuting any and all crimes relating to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Atlasians.

4. All public or charter schools that receive funding from the Government of Atlasia must include LGBT sexual education in any health and sexual education course taught at the school, beginning in 6th Grade. The LGBT sexual education must be taught in the same manner as heterosexual sexual education is instructed, which a special focus on sexual transmitted infections and the HIV/AIDs Crisis. This does not apply to private schools.

Sponsor: Wulfric
72 hours to debate
Attorney General & LGC Deputy Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 06:53:48 PM »

Commonsense bill to strengthen equality in Atlasia. Was modified from the similar Lincoln Bill. I hope we can all get behind this.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 07:02:53 PM »

Good ideas, Wulfric. But I’ll introduce an amendment:

LGBT Protection Act

1. No organization, society, or other group of more than ten people which is otherwise open to members of the public may exclude an Atlasian who identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender on the basis of their sexual identity.
a. This includes but is not limited to golf clubs, trade unions, professional associations, card clubs, or sporting clubs.

2. No public or charter school which receives funding from the Government of Atlasia, may exclude children who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender or children who are raised in a household by parents who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender on the basis of the sexual identity of either the child or the parent(s). This does not apply to private schools.

3. The Office of the LGBT Advocate (run by NPCs) is hereby established, under the Office of the Attorney General, with the purpose of investigating and prosecuting any and all crimes relating to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Atlasians.

4. All public or charter schools that receive funding from the Government of Atlasia must include LGBT sexual education in any health and sexual education course taught at the school, beginning in 6th Grade. The LGBT sexual education must be taught in the same manner as heterosexual sexual education is instructed, which a special focus on sexual transmitted infections and the HIV/AIDS Crisis. This does not apply to private schools.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 07:04:04 PM »

No objection
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 09:03:33 PM »

Objecting to the amendment. We shouldn't be in the business of dictating what is taught in a private school, nor should we be dictating what is taught in schools anyway. Education is best left to the regions.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 09:05:28 PM »

Objecting to the amendment. We shouldn't be in the business of dictating what is taught in a private school, nor should we be dictating what is taught in schools anyway. Education is best left to the regions.

Do you support the bill as I originally proposed it?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 09:10:28 PM »

Do you support the bill as I originally proposed it?

As originally proposed, no. As I said, education is best left to the regions. The more we allow the federal government to dictate policy, the less we allow the regions to focus on. If the regions are reduced to having nothing important to focus on, we kill regional legislatures. Kill regional legislatures, you kill opportunities for new players to get involved, and you kill the game.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 09:21:46 PM »

This isn’t dictating what’s taught. It’s simply saying that students can’t be excluded from attending based on whether they’re LGBT or whether their parents are.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 09:25:46 PM »

This isn’t dictating what’s taught. It’s simply saying that students can’t be excluded from attending based on whether they’re LGBT or whether their parents are.

Try re-reading the bill. Specifically section 4.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 09:46:55 PM »

Try re-reading the bill. Specifically section 4.
I was talking about the amendment.
RC
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -6.09

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 02:25:49 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2019, 04:45:27 PM by Representative ReaganClinton »

The amendment seems fine, but it’d probably be preferable if you submit your own amendment removing/modifying Sec. 4, Fhtagn.

Otherwise, I generally support this bill. Some things concern me, including Section 4. While in my region the general rule is to teach Sex Ed to sixth grade and above, it’s historically been left up to the regions to decide that factor.

Additionally, there are a few things revolving around the education system and how these would be taught. I feel that if this is put in place without a solid plan that it would create more ways to teach the class, not a bad thing initially but then it becomes a fight between the balance of resources and equality. I think it’s of top priority to sorted out in the education department.

Finally, and I’m sorry if this is conceived the wrong way by some of my colleagues, but something just makes me think that teaching trans studies in a middle school classroom shouldn’t happen. Trans acceptance, absolutely, but I have a feeling that young and impressionable minds could be negatively effected if they’re confused about their gender at an early age. I believe that it should be introduced at the high school level when they are more developed, understanding, and accepting. But again, that ties back with the precedent of section 4. Again I’m sorry if that offends anyone, and I’d like to hear what others have to say about it, but these are my takes on what to work on to tighten up the bill.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 04:44:12 PM »

I strongly support LGBT sex education but yeah I agree it's a regional issue.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 06:12:51 PM »

Yeah, I'd appreciate this not being a partisan bill. I'd urge the chamber to reject MB's amendment and then strike Section 4.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 01:46:21 AM »

Good ideas, Wulfric. But I’ll introduce an amendment:

LGBT Protection Act

4. All public or charter schools that receive funding from the Government of Atlasia must include LGBT sexual education in any health and sexual education course taught at the school, beginning in 6th Grade. The LGBT sexual education must be taught in the same manner as heterosexual sexual education is instructed, which a special focus on sexual transmitted infections and the HIV/AIDS Crisis. This does not apply to private schools.

Due to objection, a vote on said amendment is now open.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 01:48:00 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2019, 01:56:03 AM by Speaker YE »

Aye.

Charter schools should not be left off the hoook and be subject to regulation.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 01:51:50 AM »

Aye
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 06:58:34 AM »

Nay
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 11:40:30 AM »

Charter schools should not be left off the hoook and be subject to regulation.

The text as originally proposed regulates Charter schools.

"2. No public or charter school"

Nay on the Amendment.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2019, 12:35:08 PM »

Sorry it was late.

Any kind of school for that matter.
RC
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2019, 12:50:13 PM »

Abstain.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2019, 05:53:06 PM »

Also worth noting an important issue with section 1, especially when it gets to reaching things like sport clubs (and in some cases related to this, professional associations also related to sports). If you have an organization that is dedicated to women's sports for example, it's perfectly reasonable to prohibit someone from joining that might have an existing physical advantage over cis women in the club/organization.
RC
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2019, 12:51:17 AM »

Also worth noting an important issue with section 1, especially when it gets to reaching things like sport clubs (and in some cases related to this, professional associations also related to sports). If you have an organization that is dedicated to women's sports for example, it's perfectly reasonable to prohibit someone from joining that might have an existing physical advantage over cis women in the club/organization.
See that's a big problem too. My opinion is that maybe if someone has an advantage then there should be limits to who qualifies, but then that could be considered discrimination, so I'm not entirely sure how to fix this. There are many complicated issues here we need to work out long before this bill passes.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2019, 01:15:55 AM »

Nay
Poirot