HB 20-2: LGBT Protection Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:09:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 20-2: LGBT Protection Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: HB 20-2: LGBT Protection Act (Passed)  (Read 4656 times)
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2019, 05:07:30 PM »

In any case, the motion has been made and I do not intend to withdraw at this point in time.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2019, 05:14:26 PM »

A vote to start a vote is now open.

Abstain
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2019, 05:27:19 PM »

Aye
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2019, 05:34:35 PM »

Nay
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2019, 05:42:24 PM »

it's time to move along as I have two other bills waiting
This wouldn't have been an issue if you didn't push for a rules change.

Once again, you prove that you lack the ability to think things through.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2019, 05:51:59 PM »

Motion for a final vote as it appears the Amendment is not forthcoming

Is this the vote to kill it? Seems odd to want to rush a vote on an unconstitutional bill unless your goal is to kill it.
The majority does not believe this is unconstitutional.

Huh

Did "the majority" not refer to binding Supreme Court jurisprudence?   hurley and Dale are pretty clear.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2019, 05:53:37 PM »

on going to a final vote I vote

nay
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2019, 06:06:53 PM »

The minority at the time set out to dominate the calendar by frontloading the queue such that 8 of the 10 bills on the floor at any given time would be from the minority for the entire session. We acted because we had no choice, unless we were to give up on the Griffin agenda, for even though it disadvantaged us individually, it benefited the left as a whole.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2019, 06:08:14 PM »

Is this the vote to kill it? Seems odd to want to rush a vote on an unconstitutional bill unless your goal is to kill it.

Huh

Did "the majority" not refer to binding Supreme Court jurisprudence?   hurley and Dale are pretty clear.

I would encourage the court to overturn such precedent to the extent required to permit this bill.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2019, 06:22:28 PM »

The minority at the time set out to dominate the calendar by frontloading the queue such that 8 of the 10 bills on the floor at any given time would be from the minority for the entire session. We acted because we had no choice, unless we were to give up on the Griffin agenda, for even though it disadvantaged us individually, it benefited the left as a whole.

A competent Speaker/Deputy Speaker would not have had an issue with the queue. If you looked at past Congresses, what I just said is a fact. The past 2 Congresses have only proven that the rules change was a mistake.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2019, 06:23:17 PM »

Huh

I would encourage the court to overturn such precedent to the extent required to permit this bill.

Forcing through an unconstitutional bill violates the oath you swore when you took your seat.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2019, 07:17:34 PM »

Nay
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2019, 07:19:00 PM »

Aye. This has been on the floor for way too long.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2019, 07:59:26 PM »

The length of time on the floor is irrelevant when the bill in it's current form is unconstitutional.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2019, 08:03:21 PM »

The length of time on the floor is irrelevant when the bill in it's current form is unconstitutional.

If you truly believe the bill is unconstitutional, then I suppose we'll see you in court.

Or you could just present your amendment, in which case I'd withdraw the motion, hence nullifying the vote. But if you just intend to complain, then we're moving forward.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2019, 08:10:21 PM »

If you truly believe the bill is unconstitutional, then I suppose we'll see you in court.

Or you could just present your amendment, in which case I'd withdraw the motion, hence nullifying the vote. But if you just intend to complain, then we're moving forward.

I literally said the amendment was coming. I'm not even home from work at the moment, and unlike you, have legitimate responsibilities outside of Atlasia that sometimes cause delays from the projected timeline to present things.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2019, 09:14:20 PM »

I literally said the amendment was coming. I'm not even home from work at the moment, and unlike you, have legitimate responsibilities outside of Atlasia that sometimes cause delays from the projected timeline to present things.

I have a full time job, I simply don't make promises I can't keep.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2019, 01:26:01 AM »

Aye
RC
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -6.09

P P P

« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2019, 10:06:53 AM »

Abstain.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2019, 10:57:45 AM »

Aye
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2019, 11:58:29 AM »

Huh

That's not how that works; the Constitution trumps statutes. Constitutionally, congress cant mandate the membership rules of private groups as you propose to do. The Court has been very clear on that over the years. It Certainly cannot be done now by statute alone. If you want to do so you have to repeal the constitutional protections of freedom of speech and assembly first, rather than passing an unconstitutional statute and then asking that the Constitution just be ignored as relates to that statute. Is the need to regulate private card games and golf clubs so urgent that yall cant wait to do it legally? I cant imagine there is. Although given that you want to take a schit on the bill of rights with this bill I guess I understand why you'd rather just obliterate freedom through this lazy method rather than formally requesting to kill free speech in the Constitution.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2019, 04:34:51 PM »

We'll see if Wulfric holds true to his word.

present your amendment, in which case I'd withdraw the motion, hence nullifying the vote

LGBT Protection Act

1. No organization, society, or other group that is run or funded by the Government of Atlasia may exclude an Atlasian who identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender on the basis of their sexual identity. This shall also apply to companies and organizations that are applying for or have been awarded government contracts.

2. No public, magnet, or charter school which receives funding from the Government of Atlasia, may exclude children who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender or children who are raised in a household by parents who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender on the basis of the sexual identity of either the child or the parent(s). This will not apply to private and parochial schools.

3. The Office of the LGBT Advocate (run by NPCs) is hereby established, under the Office of the Attorney General, with the purpose of investigating and prosecuting any and all crimes relating to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Atlasians.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2019, 04:45:40 PM »

present your amendment, in which case I'd withdraw the motion, hence nullifying the vote

LGBT Protection Act

1. No organization, society, or other group that is run or funded by the Government of Atlasia may exclude an Atlasian who identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender on the basis of their sexual identity. This shall also apply to companies and organizations that are applying for or have been awarded government contracts.

2. No public, magnet, or charter school which receives funding from the Government of Atlasia, may exclude children who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender or children who are raised in a household by parents who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender on the basis of the sexual identity of either the child or the parent(s). This will not apply to private and parochial schools.

3. The Office of the LGBT Advocate (run by NPCs) is hereby established, under the Office of the Attorney General, with the purpose of investigating and prosecuting any and all crimes relating to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Atlasians.

Switching my vote to Nay so the Amendment can be considered.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2019, 03:57:07 AM »

LGBT Protection Act

24 hours (now like 11 hours to object to said amendment)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2019, 12:44:04 AM »

Okay more bad procedural execution.

Thanks Wulfric and myself for not noticing in the brief hour we could change, amendment passes but vote for a vote is defeated 3-4-1.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies