MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:56:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 67685 times)
Upstater
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -4.00

P P
« on: May 20, 2020, 02:07:09 PM »

Markey is gonna get the bulk of senior voters, and Kennedy will get the younger voters, just like Scarane v Coons and Hickenlooper v Romanoff. Scarane, Kennedy and Romanoff appeal to younger voters.

We dont know what to expect now that it has moved to a VBM election.  Both sides have equal chance to win

Markey isnt the prohibited favorite over Kennedy and the election is in September anyways

Markey is a slight underdog, he is losing by 2 to 6 pts

You have it all backwards.

Markey is getting the vote of the Bernie Bro young left
Kennedy is getting the older vote because they remember the greatness of the Kennedy name.

Its pathetic this is as close as it is to be honest. Not really sure why it is

Why are you trying to argue with OC?

And if it's the only reason JKIII's getting elected, then the greatness of the Kennedy name is a problem.

For me, it’s not. That’s why this is such a no brainer election for me.

JKIII gets the benefit of the doubt from me because yes he is a Kennedy and they’ve consistently represented this state and the nation so well and fought on the right side of practically every issue.

And then there’s the simple fact that Markey is a bit of a typical hack. “the swamp” if you will. He’s a good guy but he’s never in Massachusetts unless there is an election and for instance in a debate a few months ago instead of arguing the issues he just repeated AOC’s name a dozen times... weak.

I’ll be appauled at my state if Markey wins this. Unfortunately it seems as if that may happen.

Mary Jo Kopechne would like a word, or rather, she probably would if Ted Kennedy hadn't deliberately left her to die a horrible death by drowning in a car at the bottom of a pond and then relied on the family political machine to make sure he stayed in the Senate instead of getting sent to prison where he belonged.  

It’s quite sad that the only thing anyone seems to have in Markey’s defence after his decades of service is “dynasty bad”. Personally I really don’t understand why anyone is getting het up about this race. The differences between them are narrow and both would make/continue to be great Senators.

Markey has a long track record of fighting to implement progressive legislation.  Kennedy is an empty suit heir force hack who will definitely move the Senate Democratic Caucus' overton window to the right on environmental issues.  Markey was the Senate's leading advocate for the Green New Deal and was an excellent congressman.  It'd be like saying "let's replace Chris Murphy with Matt Lieberman because something something new blood."

I had no idea voting for the 1994 Crime Bill, NAFTA, and the Iraq War was fighting for progressive legislation.
Upstater
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 02:24:43 PM »

Markey is gonna get the bulk of senior voters, and Kennedy will get the younger voters, just like Scarane v Coons and Hickenlooper v Romanoff. Scarane, Kennedy and Romanoff appeal to younger voters.

We dont know what to expect now that it has moved to a VBM election.  Both sides have equal chance to win

Markey isnt the prohibited favorite over Kennedy and the election is in September anyways

Markey is a slight underdog, he is losing by 2 to 6 pts

You have it all backwards.

Markey is getting the vote of the Bernie Bro young left
Kennedy is getting the older vote because they remember the greatness of the Kennedy name.

Its pathetic this is as close as it is to be honest. Not really sure why it is

Why are you trying to argue with OC?

And if it's the only reason JKIII's getting elected, then the greatness of the Kennedy name is a problem.

For me, it’s not. That’s why this is such a no brainer election for me.

JKIII gets the benefit of the doubt from me because yes he is a Kennedy and they’ve consistently represented this state and the nation so well and fought on the right side of practically every issue.

And then there’s the simple fact that Markey is a bit of a typical hack. “the swamp” if you will. He’s a good guy but he’s never in Massachusetts unless there is an election and for instance in a debate a few months ago instead of arguing the issues he just repeated AOC’s name a dozen times... weak.

I’ll be appauled at my state if Markey wins this. Unfortunately it seems as if that may happen.

Mary Jo Kopechne would like a word, or rather, she probably would if Ted Kennedy hadn't deliberately left her to die a horrible death by drowning in a car at the bottom of a pond and then relied on the family political machine to make sure he stayed in the Senate instead of getting sent to prison where he belonged.  

It’s quite sad that the only thing anyone seems to have in Markey’s defence after his decades of service is “dynasty bad”. Personally I really don’t understand why anyone is getting het up about this race. The differences between them are narrow and both would make/continue to be great Senators.

Markey has a long track record of fighting to implement progressive legislation.  Kennedy is an empty suit heir force hack who will definitely move the Senate Democratic Caucus' overton window to the right on environmental issues.  Markey was the Senate's leading advocate for the Green New Deal and was an excellent congressman.  It'd be like saying "let's replace Chris Murphy with Matt Lieberman because something something new blood."

I had no idea voting for the 1994 Crime Bill, NAFTA, and the Iraq War were pieces of progressive legislation.

I had no idea there were people delusional enough to think Kennedy wouldn't have been an enthusiastic supporter of all of those things were he in office then.  Also, you should try doing some research instead of just word-vomiting a few bad votes from a 44 year congressional career.  You might learn a thing or two.

Also, if we're going by the 1994 crime bill then I guess Bernie Sanders is a right-winger who needs to be primaried by an establishment legacy candidate ASAP because he also voted for it.  See, I can cherry pick in bad-faith just like you Smiley

You may be right that Kennedy would have supported all of these bills, but I do think that he would've at least opposed the Iraq War.  Second, it's not just a bad vote.  These are votes that had a direct negative impact on the lives of ordinary people in the United States and across the world.  Third, I don't like Sanders and I believe that he was wrong to vote for it. 
Upstater
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 10:50:16 AM »

Havent heard much about this race, and I am not as enthusiastic about Kennedys chances.

The COVID 19 has changed the races where political rallies have stopped, which hurt upstart candidates like Kennedy, not as much media exposure

He’s not a regular upstart canidate ... he’s a Kennedy in Massachusetts.

With that being said and I can’t believe I’m typing these words, his candidacy has been underwhelming and this race is without question Lean Markey. I wanna throw up typing that but I call it like I see it

Kennedy has led almost every poll.  I don't see why Markey would be favored.
Upstater
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 12:03:45 PM »

Has Markey released his travel records yet?  If not he should immediately because it's just giving Kennedy ammunition to attack him.
Upstater
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 05:47:20 PM »

Not to brag or anything but being the obvious Kennedy supporter on this forum - I’m the only one that was convinced Markey is in the lead and many (Markey supporters ironically) doubted that claim.

Well here it is...

Really disheartening to see. Can’t see this changing much.

I'm getting the feeling that you think Kennedy is out after one poll.  There's a long way until the primary is over.
Upstater
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 10:59:00 AM »

Didn't think Schiff would endorse in this race but here we are.
Upstater
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 01:00:25 PM »

The replies to that tweet are sickening.

No matter how much you oppose a politician, wishing harm to them is off limits.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies