MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:32:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 55
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 68007 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2019, 05:37:40 PM »
« edited: August 20, 2019, 06:01:25 PM by RogueBeaver »

Ginormous Great Mentioner for Kennedy's seat, with Deb Goldberg the biggest name.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2019, 06:31:04 PM »

I pray that the voters of Massachusetts have enough sense to reject Joe Kennedy III, who would be merely the latest in a family dynasty that has had more than its due, and should be relegated to the past. Political dynasties are not a good thing for this country.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2019, 08:03:33 PM »

I don't think anything pisses me off more in politics than people from elite political families who think they're entitled to certain offices, and that's the vibe I get with Kennedy. Why else would he challenge a decently left-wing and respected (within his own party) incumbent? A similar, but actually worse thing happened with Evan Bayh, who didn't even run in a primary and booted out the rightful winner of that primary. One of the most satisfying results in 2016 was him losing by a 10 point margin.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2019, 03:07:32 PM »

I pray that the voters of Massachusetts have enough sense to reject Joe Kennedy III, who would be merely the latest in a family dynasty that has had more than its due, and should be relegated to the past. Political dynasties are not a good thing for this country.

Or pray we have the sense to elect a young, well educated, talented, well spoken man who happens to be from a family that has given so much to this country. If Kennedy runs, he wins. And that’s a good thing.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2019, 03:37:26 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2019, 08:18:55 PM by The love that set me free »

Or pray we have the sense to elect a young, well educated, talented, well spoken man who happens to be from a family that has given so much to this country. If Kennedy runs, he wins. And that’s a good thing.

His politics suck. He's in the pocket of big pharmaceuticals and even opposes marijuana legalization.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2019, 03:53:20 PM »

And? His family background hardly indicates that he'll be a good Senator (judging by his legislative record he's clearly no Ted Kennedy). It only shows that he's immensely privileged and has enough hubris to think he can take whatever he wants because he feels entitled to it.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2019, 05:36:18 PM »

And? His family background hardly indicates that he'll be a good Senator (judging by his legislative record he's clearly no Ted Kennedy). It only shows that he's immensely privileged and has enough hubris to think he can take whatever he wants because he feels entitled to it.

Exactly this. But I've had a sickening feeling, ever since Kennedy was given the State of the Union response last year, that the Democrats were grooming him for higher office. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other, powerful politicians, who were encouraging him to run. It's an unfortunate thing, and another element of our political system that is toxic, but that it is how it is.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2019, 11:37:59 PM »

Exactly this. But I've had a sickening feeling, ever since Kennedy was given the State of the Union response last year, that the Democrats were grooming him for higher office. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other, powerful politicians, who were encouraging him to run. It's an unfortunate thing, and another element of our political system that is toxic, but that it is how it is.

Yep. Pretty much. His only real argument is some divine right BS. Were it a policy motivated campaign, I guess I could get behind it. But it's also just so obviously not.

I like Kennedy. Markey is bland, so I guess I'd be behind a Kennedy campaign.

Then again, this is pretty compelling. Oh wait. It's not nvm, and exactly illustrative of my point. I'll pick policy over aesthetics any day of the week.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2019, 11:58:52 PM »

Yep. Pretty much. His only real argument is some divine right BS. Were it a policy motivated campaign, I guess I could get behind it. But it's also just so obviously not.

I like Kennedy. Markey is bland, so I guess I'd be behind a Kennedy campaign.

Then again, this is pretty compelling. Oh wait. It's not nvm, and exactly illustrative of my point. I'll pick policy over aesthetics any day of the week.

Kennedy is someone who is sorely lacking of substance. Aside from his State of the Union response, and aside from getting elected to the House, what has he done? Absolutely nothing. He has ridden off his family name, and off the legacies of his grandfather and grand-uncles. America was not intended to be a hereditary oligarchy or monarchy. Hopefully, if Kennedy does challenge Markey, Markey defeats him. That would put to rest his ambitions for a while.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2019, 12:13:35 AM »

I am excited for Joe Kennedy, either by defeating Markey, or if need be, a special for Warren seat, Joe can come to the Senate.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2019, 08:20:18 AM »
« Edited: August 22, 2019, 08:23:40 AM by Galletito »

Is your brain set on anything other than "Kennedys 😍" mode?

Also please explain what the Kennedy family has given to this country other than maybe some things JFK liked that Johnson wound up improving on?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2019, 08:26:20 AM »

Kerry tried to assume power due to his connection with Teddy Kennedy and Markey didnt anything substantial in the Senate. Most MA liberals havent done anything
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2019, 09:24:40 AM »
« Edited: August 22, 2019, 09:30:11 AM by RogueBeaver »

Clark says she won't endorse yet, and the mystery poll has Kennedy leading outside MOE, with both men strong in their respective districts.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2019, 01:37:37 PM »

Trump is in the White House. Let's not waste $10 million on a primary challenge against a good Democrat like Markey.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2019, 10:31:57 PM »

I just can't stand this sense of entitlement from him and seemingly most Kennedy's. I remember Caroline Kennedy thinking she was owed the Senate seat in NY just because who she was despite having never won anything.

Didn’t she drop out of the running for that? Anyway, probably would have ended up better than Gillibrand.

Also I don’t understand the hand wringing about “dynasties” and never will. Refusing to vote for someone based on their last name is just as irrational as only voting for them based on their last name. The idea that if we vote for another Kennedy/Bush/Clinton/Adams/whatever, that means we’re suddenly a Monarchy or something, is stupid. As long as people have the choice to reject them — and all four of those supposed  “dynasties” have lost at least one presidential election — I don’t see the problem. Yes, obviously these families use political connections and advantages to get ahead. But would you prefer other wealthy/famous people use their connections and advantages to get ahead? You know, like Reagan and Trump?

If these families produce smart, competent people with good political ideas and skills that people want to vote for, what’s wrong with that? And what’s wrong even if they want to vote for them in large part because of their connection to a popular former politician? If you liked that other politician, makes some sense you’d want to vote for a family member, as that may be about as close as it gets to another term of them, as you know they have directly influenced (and maybe continue to influence) their family.

Again, it’s dumb to vote for BAD candidates ONLY because of their name or connections. But if they’re good candidates, it’s equally dumb to reject them for the same reasons. Hillary Clinton was certainly one of the most qualified candidates to ever run. The entire criticism that voting for her would be to create a “dynasty” was then and remains extremely dumb in my eyes. Hillary was a middle class girl from the Midwest who worked hard alongside her husband to get where she did. Not a f—king Princess born into immense wealth and privilege who was handed everything on a silver platter.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2019, 10:50:24 PM »

For the record, I don’t have anything against Markey and can’t say whether or not Kennedy would be a better Senator than him. I just think the kneejerk reaction against him because “dynasty” is dumb. I also find it kind of funny how a lot of the same people who complain about that also talk about how we need young blood in politics — Kennedy is 38, Markey is 73.

It is probably a better idea, like some have said, for Kennedy to wait and see if Warren wins. Not saying that’s particularly likely or not, but if she does he’ll be ideally positioned to run in a special election. I understand why he’s not keen on the idea of waiting probably several more years in the event she doesn’t win, but at the same time if he does try to primary Markey and fails, that would really hurt his future prospects, I would think. And again, he IS young so it’s not like he can’t wait it out.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2019, 10:59:52 PM »

Kennedy (and his family) should just go away.

Can’t understand this sentiment. A family that has given ALOT to this country

Such as?

Multiple sons?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2019, 12:42:48 PM »

Dem Establishment seems to be wavering on Markey. Neal sounds equivocal and Walsh very equivocal, saying that he'd consider running for an open seat. Patrick would remain neutral in a Markey-Kennedy duel. Markey insists he's running, and Pressley is eyeing Warren's seat whenever it opens.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2019, 10:46:55 AM »

Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »

Oh boy. This is going to be exciting.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2019, 11:51:52 AM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2019, 03:07:02 PM »

Oh God Markey please destroy this f[inks]ing loser.
JG

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2019, 03:18:19 PM »

I hope Kennedy crashes and burns.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2019, 04:51:07 PM »

I hope Kennedy crashes and burns.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└