MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 08:22:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 55
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 68507 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: August 25, 2020, 07:47:45 PM »

I honestly like both Markey and Kenendy and think they'd both be great.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #851 on: August 25, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »

You accused me of fabricating stories that provided inconvenient truths about your preferred VP's support base. If anyone in this thread has no room to talk about civility, it's you.

Child, calm down. You're taking this thing too seriously.

Not particularly. I'll defend my candidates and continue to call out abject hypocrisy whenever I see it.

And over the past few weeks, I've seen nothing but hypocrisy from your wing of the party.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #852 on: August 25, 2020, 07:58:37 PM »

Love that dirty water.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #853 on: August 25, 2020, 09:47:27 PM »

Bloomberg is backing Markey with some $$$:

I can only imagine he reaction if if was the other way around. (I'm saying this as a Markey supporter)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #854 on: August 25, 2020, 09:52:24 PM »

Bloomberg is backing Markey with some $$$:

https://twitter.com/NikDeCostaKlipa/status/1298448657667313664?s=20

I can only imagine he reaction if if was the other way around. (I'm saying this as a Markey supporter)

lol what even is this race anymore?
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #855 on: August 25, 2020, 09:52:51 PM »

This is umm...

Surprising.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #856 on: August 25, 2020, 10:00:42 PM »

The twists and turns of this race have been nutty.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #857 on: August 25, 2020, 10:05:15 PM »

Is there some sort-of deep-seeded Bloomberg/Kennedy feud we've never heard about? Bloomberg lobbied for Caroline getting Hillary's Senate seat a while back, so I don't think so? But who knows anymore lmao
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #858 on: August 26, 2020, 04:32:39 AM »

Yeah Bloomberg’s support likely hurts a canidate position as far as progressives go
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #859 on: August 26, 2020, 08:05:07 AM »

Is there some sort-of deep-seeded Bloomberg/Kennedy feud we've never heard about? Bloomberg lobbied for Caroline getting Hillary's Senate seat a while back, so I don't think so? But who knows anymore lmao

For all of his flaws, Bloomberg actually does have climate as one of his big issues so it may make sense from that POV. Especially given the super PAC mentioned was formed by a cooperation between the Environment America Action Fund and the Sunrise Movement.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #860 on: August 26, 2020, 01:07:00 PM »

Between Data for Progress and the new UMass/Lowell poll, it's clear that Markey is the favorite. Kennedy would need the race to seriously change for him to have a clear shot.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #861 on: August 26, 2020, 01:21:42 PM »

Between Data for Progress and the new UMass/Lowell poll, it's clear that Markey is the favorite. Kennedy would need the race to seriously change for him to have a clear shot.

Wouldn't want to bet on primaries, but yeah, Kennedy seems to be a clear underdog ATM. Question is, where does he go from here if he loses? I know people in this thread have said his political career would be over, but I honestly find it hard for a Kennedy to not have a political career in the state if they didn't want to.
Roblox

« Reply #862 on: August 26, 2020, 01:27:29 PM »

Wouldn't want to bet on primaries, but yeah, Kennedy seems to be a clear underdog ATM. Question is, where does he go from here if he loses? I know people in this thread have said his political career would be over, but I honestly find it hard for a Kennedy to not have a political career in the state if they didn't want to.

Guessing he goes the NGO or lobbying route.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #863 on: August 26, 2020, 01:28:14 PM »

Yeah, losing one primary as a challenger is hardly a death sentence, especially for a Kennedy in Massachusetts. Not only is the guy young & evidently driven by pure ambition, but again, he's still a Kennedy in Massachusetts, so even if he f**ks up this time, he'll end up being given a 2nd chance a few years from now, be it for Warren's Senate seat (even though it'll be an even harder primary against Pressley) when it's open, or Governor when Baker leaves.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #864 on: August 26, 2020, 01:30:31 PM »

Maybe he runs for Governor? Even though Auchincloss would be a horris incumbent, I doubt he'll primary him, since their families are close.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #865 on: August 26, 2020, 01:45:59 PM »

I said this race is over back in July and was mocked.

It’s been obvious since June ....So excited to see Markey return to being to the most useless politican in MA
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #866 on: August 26, 2020, 02:24:38 PM »

Depending on how the MA dem legislature changes their senatorial law, he could be at the top of the list for replacing Warren. Obviously he will have lost some of his shine after this campaign, but if she immediatly gets nominated to some Biden job like CPB then Kennedy has an opening. It might even be likely if MA adopts something resembling the AZ senate law and requires Baker to pick a Democrat from a list of names. MA dems wouldn't want a incumbent congressmen to be on the list, since that just forces another special election.

That or ambassador to Ireland in a Biden Admin. If Biden loses than it's a lobbying job.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #867 on: August 26, 2020, 02:33:26 PM »

The comments in this thread about him having a political career after this are laughable. You have probably the most baked in political advantage in the country: being a Kennedy in Massachusetts and you lose to quite literally the most useless politican in the state. The Bernie Bro’s latest fetish: Ed Markey. I’m sorry but you’re toast. Absolutely toast.

VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #868 on: August 26, 2020, 02:42:10 PM »

Nadler and Maloney endorse Markey.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #869 on: August 26, 2020, 02:51:39 PM »

Before Covid 19 hit Kennedy was leading this race, and so was Bullock, there were on Facebook touting how much money they have raised, now they are losing. Covid 19 did impact both races, incumbents like Daines and Markey are resistant to the change election.

Now, Bullock, which we havent seen any recent polls is embroiled in a scandal
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #870 on: August 26, 2020, 02:52:53 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2020, 08:03:54 PM by brucejoel99 »

The comments in this thread about him having a political career after this are laughable. You have probably the most baked in political advantage in the country: being a Kennedy in Massachusetts and you lose to quite literally the most useless politican in the state. The Bernie Bro’s latest fetish: Ed Markey. I’m sorry but you’re toast. Absolutely toast.

Hear me out here, but maybe - just maybe - people don't (irrationally!) hate Ed Markey as much as you.

Just a thought, Joe Wink
new_patomic

« Reply #871 on: August 26, 2020, 02:58:51 PM »

Assuming Kennedy loses, it obviously does hurt his political prospects

But he's only 39.

He could run for Governor in 2022.

Or even be offered a cabinet/other position in a Biden administration.

Ignoring the very obvious 'failing up' joke, he doesn't seem like someone who'd just be left to fade.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #872 on: August 26, 2020, 04:18:10 PM »

Before Covid 19 hit Kennedy was leading this race, and so was Bullock, there were on Facebook touting how much money they have raised, now they are losing. Covid 19 did impact both races, incumbents like Daines and Markey are resistant to the change election.

W.r.t. the primary, this is actually a correct take. Markey might have ended up winning anyway, but his team had a better digital operation and I strongly suspect COVID-19 did boost incumbents, especially those fighting campaigns with strong ground operations.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #873 on: August 26, 2020, 04:25:09 PM »

W.r.t. the primary, this is actually a correct take. Markey might have ended up winning anyway, but his team had a better digital operation and I strongly suspect COVID-19 did boost incumbents, especially those fighting campaigns with strong ground operations.

Not sure about that given all the House primaries with incumbents losing (and there's two more that one could consider in trouble in MA!)

I do agree it did make Markey's strong digital operation matter more than it might have otherwise though.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #874 on: August 26, 2020, 04:26:33 PM »

Not sure about that given all the House primaries with incumbents losing (and there's two more that one could consider in trouble in MA!)

I was expecting anti-incumbent sentiment beforehand anyway as the parties drifted ideologically further apart and their representatives failed to move with them. I think COVID-19 hasn't mitigated all of this, but I'll bet it has helped them.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies