MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:45:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 55
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 67678 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2019, 06:28:09 PM »

R.I.P. My respect for Kyrsten Sinema (2017 - September 23, 2019)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #251 on: September 23, 2019, 07:57:45 PM »

Wow.

Talk about a dream team for me.

My two favorite people in congress
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #252 on: September 24, 2019, 01:24:02 PM »

Wow.

Talk about a dream team for me.

My two favorite people in congress

Three cheers for accomplishing absolutely nothing and letting fascists walk all over us!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #253 on: September 27, 2019, 07:56:09 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2019, 09:19:45 PM »

R.I.P. My respect for Kyrsten Sinema (2017 - September 23, 2019)

You had respect for Sinema?  Why?
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #255 on: April 09, 2020, 06:14:02 AM »

(as this is the MA Megathread, I decided to add this here)

Covid-19 changes the dynamics of this race completely. He has not collected the required number of signatures so far to be on the ballot and his campaign was planning to gain momentum by winning the state party convention endorsement - And this convention was cancelled. The deadline for collecting signatures is somewhen in May (unfortunately, it is neither said how much signatures are needed nor how many Markey already collected). Quite underwhelming for an incumbent tho.

Source: https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/04/08/ed-markey-vs-joe-kennedy-in-coronavirus-era-no-contest/
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #256 on: April 09, 2020, 06:15:55 AM »

Covid-19 changes the dynamics of this race completely. He has not collected the required number of signatures so far to be on the ballot and his campaign was planning to gain momentum by winning the state party convention endorsement - And this convention was cancelled. The deadline for collecting signatures is somewhen in May (unfortunately, it is neither said how much signatures are needed nor how many Markey already collected). Quite underwhelming for an incumbent tho.

Source: https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/04/08/ed-markey-vs-joe-kennedy-in-coronavirus-era-no-contest/
By he you presumably mean JPK III?
Astatine

Political Matrix

« Reply #257 on: April 09, 2020, 06:22:26 AM »

Ooops, thanks, forgot to point out who I meant, but nope. I spoke of Ed Markey.

Another source provided some more information: 3'000 signatures are to be collected and JPK III has collected 15'000 so far, they didn't say how many Markey has by now.

(https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/coronavirus-restrictions-make-it-harder-for-candidates-to-qualify-for-ballot)
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #258 on: April 09, 2020, 06:23:52 AM »

Ooops, thanks, forgot to point out who I meant, but nope. I spoke of Ed Markey.

Another source provided some more information: 3'000 signatures are to be collected and JPK III has collected 15'000 so far, they didn't say how many Markey has by now.

(https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/coronavirus-restrictions-make-it-harder-for-candidates-to-qualify-for-ballot)
Is it possible Markey fails to even be on the primary ballot?
Astatine

Political Matrix

« Reply #259 on: April 09, 2020, 06:31:13 AM »

Is it possible Markey fails to even be on the primary ballot?

Could very well happen.

And sorry, I misunderstood the article. It said Markey has yet to collect 3'000, I finally found out that the threshold is 10'000 (thanks Politico). So JPK III is almost definetely on the ballot while Markey could still make it (there are still at least at least three weeks to go), and Markey would yet have to win the primary (he has been behind, albeit mostly narrowly, in all polls so far).

Likely Kennedy, closer to Safe than Lean.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #260 on: April 09, 2020, 06:33:32 AM »

It looks as though if Markey does get re-nominated at the end of the day, it would be the thinnest of tightropes.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #261 on: April 09, 2020, 06:40:59 AM »

As someone who lives in Massachusetts (and in Kennedy's district, to boot), most people I know are voting for Kennedy. I myself will be voting for Kennedy too. Granted, his numbers are probably higher in the 4th district than they are statewide.

Now that Markey might not even make the primary ballot, it's probably going from Lean Kennedy to Likely Kennedy.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #262 on: April 09, 2020, 06:43:54 AM »

I could see this being an attack line if Markey does get on the ballot. 'you barely got 10,000 signatures to become eligible to even compete - what does that say about your ability to rally people to your side' or something like that.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #263 on: April 09, 2020, 09:41:42 AM »

I could see this being an attack line if Markey does get on the ballot. 'you barely got 10,000 signatures to become eligible to even compete - what does that say about your ability to rally people to your side' or something like that.

That'd be a sh*tty line of attack considering interacting with people isn't really an option right now.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #264 on: April 09, 2020, 05:10:15 PM »

That'd be a sh*tty line of attack considering interacting with people isn't really an option right now.
He had time to collect signatures beforehand, though? Before the lockdown stuff went down.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: April 09, 2020, 05:19:33 PM »

He had time to collect signatures beforehand, though? Before the lockdown stuff went down.

Eh, not as much as you'd think. The state party canceled more than 100 local caucuses, which is usually the source of a vast majority of candidates' signature collections.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #266 on: May 08, 2020, 02:35:59 AM »

God I hate the Kennedy family so much.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #267 on: May 08, 2020, 03:11:54 AM »

What even is the point of Kennedy running? I feel like he just wants to be senator for the sake of being a senator, not beause Markey is worth of replacement. This is the kind of stuff people dislike about politics.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #268 on: May 08, 2020, 03:18:07 AM »

What’s the point of supporting Kennedy anyway?  He’ll just end up dying in some freak log flume accident or something in a couple of years.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #269 on: May 08, 2020, 03:28:03 AM »

What even is the point of Kennedy running? I feel like he just wants to be senator for the sake of being a senator, not beause Markey is worth of replacement. This is the kind of stuff people dislike about politics.

The Kennedy name is strong drink for Massachusetts Boomers, and has been for an absurdly long time. It really is that simple. You might as well ask--and people did!--what the point was of Ted running in 1962 (although it obviously wasn't Boomers voting for him yet then).
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #270 on: May 09, 2020, 11:26:33 PM »

Biden needs to endorse Markey
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #271 on: May 10, 2020, 06:18:27 PM »

Why? Is it all that they’ve accomplished? All the members of the family who have given there lives to this country? All the contributions to this country that they’ve made? Jealousy? What is it....

The Kennedy name is strong drink for Massachusetts Boomers, and has been for an absurdly long time. It really is that simple. You might as well ask--and people did!--what the point was of Ted running in 1962 (although it obviously wasn't Boomers voting for him yet then).

I’m the furthest thing from a boomer. I’m a (as my username says) millennial moderate and there is no one in this state who I would be more enthusiastic to vote for than Joe Kennedy.

Puke. Would change my vote from enthusiastic Biden to extremely reluctantly Biden.

LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #272 on: May 11, 2020, 08:32:17 AM »

The only Kennedy worth supporting in the 2020 cycle is Amy Kennedy in NJ-02.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #273 on: May 11, 2020, 11:35:35 AM »

Why? Is it all that they’ve accomplished? All the members of the family who have given there lives to this country? All the contributions to this country that they’ve made? Jealousy? What is it....

I’m the furthest thing from a boomer. I’m a (as my username says) millennial moderate and there is no one in this state who I would be more enthusiastic to vote for than Joe Kennedy.

Puke. Would change my vote from enthusiastic Biden to extremely reluctantly Biden.

You are so odd. Do the Kennedys pay you or something? Markey is a fantastic senator, Kennedy has done nothing but been spoon-fed his entire life. Everything he has ever done has been because of his meaningless last name. He has never had to work for anything and is now making a vanity run against one of the best senators in the country just because he's too impatient to wait for an open seat. He's a whiny child.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #274 on: May 12, 2020, 06:12:59 AM »

You are so odd. Do the Kennedys pay you or something? Markey is a fantastic senator, Kennedy has done nothing but been spoon-fed his entire life. Everything he has ever done has been because of his meaningless last name. He has never had to work for anything and is now making a vanity run against one of the best senators in the country just because he's too impatient to wait for an open seat. He's a whiny child.

Not sure what is so odd. I’m from Massachusetts and I admire the Kennedy’s, what’s so odd about that? I grant you just because his last name is Kennedy doesn’t mean he will have 1/100th of the charm, charisma, talent, political skill that JFK or RFK or even Teddy had. But I do know that Joe has a similar commitment to serving the public and making his country better.

Markey is not a fantastic Senator. Just because you agree with him on policy doesn’t make him a fantastic Senator. He is constantly non-existent in this state except during election campaigns. Most politicans have two homes but Markeys official home is in Virginia and he is almost never in Massachusetts except during campaigns. He is the definition of political hack. Is he a good guy? Yes he is. But I don’t think the public service part comes through to him.

Back to Joe - this is a man who could have very easily lived off of his family’s riches but instead has dedicated himself to public service which is what I admire most about the Kennedys. The spoon fed
& entitled narrative is lazy bullsh**t. And I think his last name helps in that he will have ALOT more influence on Day 1 as Senator then Markey has ever had in his 30+ years in Washington.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies