MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 12:53:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 55
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 69751 times)
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »

Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2019, 05:49:57 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2019, 07:13:57 PM »

This cannot be echoed enough. Markey will hopefully hand him a stinging defeat. Perhaps that will cure him of his arrogance disease.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2019, 07:35:36 PM »

MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2019, 09:06:13 PM »

I pray that the voters of Massachusetts have enough sense to reject Joe Kennedy III, who would be merely the latest in a family dynasty that has had more than its due, and should be relegated to the past. Political dynasties are not a good thing for this country.

Or pray we have the sense to elect a young, well educated, talented, well spoken man who happens to be from a family that has given so much to this country. If Kennedy runs, he wins. And that’s a good thing.

Is your brain set on anything other than "Kennedys 😍" mode?

Also please explain what the Kennedy family has given to this country other than maybe some things JFK liked that Johnson wound up improving on?

First, I don’t see anything wrong with admiring a family that has given so much to this country.

Hell, in Great Britain the whole country adores a family for far less.

Anyway (AND IM NOT DENYING THEY HAVE FAULTS) - For starters you have a bunch of examples of a family that could have done nothing but live off of the family fortune but entered into public service (aka politics).

You have Joe Jr volunteering for an extremely dangerous mission in WW2 that killed him.
You have JFK fighting to enlist when he could have used medical reasons to not serve, then he pushed to get an active combat role. Then the PT109 incident where he saved half a dozen members of his crew. The creation of the peace corps and the families constant service to it. The dedication of the Kennedy’s to the Special Olympics ... I could go on and on.

MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2019, 09:15:45 PM »

The amount of people rooting for Kennedy’s defeat is disgusting.

By the way, who here who is on the “LEFT” or “CENTER LEFT” thinks your ideals or values have a better chance of being moved forward via 73 year Senator Ed Markey than via a YOUNG, extremely talented up and coming star that also has an historic, famous name & reputation behind him?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2019, 09:20:39 PM »

I pray that the voters of Massachusetts have enough sense to reject Joe Kennedy III, who would be merely the latest in a family dynasty that has had more than its due, and should be relegated to the past. Political dynasties are not a good thing for this country.

Or pray we have the sense to elect a young, well educated, talented, well spoken man who happens to be from a family that has given so much to this country. If Kennedy runs, he wins. And that’s a good thing.

Also please explain what the Kennedy family has given to this country other than maybe some things JFK liked that Johnson wound up improving on?

First, I don’t see anything wrong with admiring a family that has given so much to this country.

Hell, in Great Britain the whole country adores a family for far less.

Anyway (AND IM NOT DENYING THEY HAVE FAULTS) - For starters you have a bunch of examples of a family that could have done nothing but live off of the family fortune but entered into public service (aka politics).

You have Joe Jr volunteering for an extremely dangerous mission in WW2 that killed him. You have JFK fighting to enlist when he could have used medical reasons to not serve, then he pushed to get an active combat role. Then the PT109 incident where he saved half a dozen members of his crew. The creation of the peace corps and the families constant service to it. The dedication of the Kennedy’s to the Special Olympics ... I could go on and on.

Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2019, 09:23:50 PM »

The amount of people rooting for Kennedy’s defeat is disgusting.

By the way, who here who is on the “LEFT” or “CENTER LEFT” thinks your ideals or values have a better chance of being moved forward via 73 year Senator Ed Markey than via a YOUNG, extremely talented up and coming star that also has an historic, famous name & reputation behind him?
The thing is my ideals and values are closer to Markey's than Kennedy, who's still stuck in the 90's when it comes to the War on Drugs. I'd be totally fine with Markey being primaried by a younger Democrat if it was someone that had better policies than Kennedy.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2019, 09:37:49 PM »

Either one is fine in different ways.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2019, 09:53:04 PM »

You aren't concerned at all by Kennedy's big pharma ties/anti-pot positions?
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2019, 10:19:05 PM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2019, 01:41:30 AM »

Markey is about as exciting as watching paint dry, but I don't see any reason why he deserves to lose re-election other than muh Kennedy family name, so #TeamMarkey I guess.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2019, 01:44:52 AM »

Why so much dislike for Kennedy? He's a young fresh face, Markey is an old white dude. I guess, I'd be fine with either.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2019, 01:56:55 AM »

Why so much dislike for Kennedy? He's a young fresh face, Markey is an old white dude. I guess, I'd be fine with either.
Because having good politics is more important than being a "fresh face". Markey is dull and forgettable, but he's pretty progressive at least. Kennedy on the other hand:

And there's this:

This guy just sucks.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2019, 02:00:01 AM »
« Edited: August 27, 2019, 02:08:05 AM by Justice Blair »

Hell, in Great Britain the whole country adores a family for far less

You have Joe Jr volunteering for an extremely dangerous mission in WW2 that killed him.
You have JFK fighting to enlist when he could have used medical reasons to not serve, then he pushed to get an active combat role. Then the PT109 incident where he saved half a dozen members of his crew. The creation of the peace corps and the families constant service to it. The dedication of the Kennedy’s to the Special Olympics ... I could go on and on.

During World War 2 our royal family stayed in London during the Blitz- Joe Kennedy Sr said that democracy was dead and urged the US not to give any aid to the U.K.- whilst serving as the US ambassador.

A rather ironic story in light of your comment.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2019, 04:00:44 AM »

During World War 2 our royal family stayed in London during the Blitz- Joe Kennedy Sr said that democracy was dead and urged the US not to give any aid to the U.K.- whilst serving as the US ambassador.

I didn’t know he was against aid of any help, I knew he had a general tone of appeasement because he wanted to avoid entering into the war at all costs. Which was wrong, it’s a position JFK disagreed with him on at the age of 22, and throughout his political career.

It’s worth noting a VAST majority of Americans wanted nothing to do with the war until the Japanese declaration via Pearl Harbor, and the fact that Germany declared war on us. And when I say VAST, I mean VAST - from BOTH parties. IN FACT, FDR had to promise during the 1940 campaign that he wouldn’t “send our young boys to any foreign wars” - So Joe Sr’s position wasn’t that far off from the country as a whole. But as far as the family goes I think Joe Jr and JFK’s actions during the war make up for that
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2019, 04:03:13 AM »

Double Post

... but uh, #KennedyForSenate
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2019, 05:46:26 AM »

Even Markey wins this race, there's a good chance Kennedy will be voted into office as a result of a Special election; due to Warren boasting better numbers against Biden.  So, hate for Kennedy wont do any good
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2019, 07:14:06 AM »

You aren't concerned at all by Kennedy's big pharma ties/anti-pot positions?

He’ll fall in line if it comes up. As far as donations from Pharma, it’s a big industry in the state, so it’s like beto and energy.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2019, 08:56:32 AM »

I quite like Markey, and would prefer Kennedy didn’t run. But having seen this thread him running and winning would be satisfying to see all the whingeing about political dynasties.

Opposing someone because they are a Kennedy is infinitely more pathetic than supporting someone because they are a Kennedy.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2019, 09:10:11 AM »

What has Markey done, we dont need another Joe Biden in the Senate. Kennedy would be an exception Senator willing to legislate.

We already got Ben Cardin who fooled the MD voters whom said he was this raving liberal instead of Mfume. He will be next to bevprimaried out.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2019, 10:15:08 AM »

I am on Team Markey
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2019, 01:36:33 PM »

I quite like Markey, and would prefer Kennedy didn’t run. But having seen this thread him running and winning would be satisfying to see all the whingeing about political dynasties.

Opposing someone because they are a Kennedy is infinitely more pathetic than supporting someone because they are a Kennedy.

Huh
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2019, 01:48:39 PM »

What about opposing him because his politics suck?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2019, 02:27:03 PM »

Beacon Hill has chosen Markey, and Kennedy sounds like a candidate.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies