Dayton shooter Connor Betts was an anti-Trump, radical leftist
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:13:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Dayton shooter Connor Betts was an anti-Trump, radical leftist
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Dayton shooter Connor Betts was an anti-Trump, radical leftist  (Read 5990 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2019, 02:40:22 AM »

anime fan / metalhead .”

Yep, definitely not right in the head.
Are you sure you aren't a Republican? Perhaps a blue avatar would be more appropriate.

What does hating anime have to do with being a Republican?
It used to be VERY common for Republican men to raise their sons to not grow out their hair, be a hippy, smoke weed, or be "different". Sometimes fathers would beat their sons if they disobeyed. Whatvwas encouraged was to bang hot chicks, play sports and be popular. Being a nerd, a beatnik or a unique individual was strongly discouraged by Republicans.

In the 80s yuppies were Republicans

He isn't entirely wrong though, as there tend to be the market conservatives and cultural conservatives, and the farther back you go the wider the differences between the two become.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2019, 02:47:20 AM »

anime fan / metalhead .”

Are you sure you aren't a Republican? Perhaps a blue avatar would be more appropriate.

It used to be VERY common for Republican men to raise their sons to not grow out their hair, be a hippy, smoke weed, or be "different". Sometimes fathers would beat their sons if they disobeyed. Whatvwas encouraged was to bang hot chicks, play sports and be popular. Being a nerd, a beatnik or a unique individual was strongly discouraged by Republicans.

In the 80s yuppies were Republicans

He isn't entirely wrong though, as there tend to be the market conservatives and cultural conservatives, and the farther back you go the wider the differences between the two become.

Yes but the 80s binded them together. You could actually say the GOP in the 1980s became a socially conservative neo-liberal party and united under that banner for 30 years
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2019, 02:56:59 AM »

anime fan / metalhead .”

Okay... but what does hating anime have to do with being a Republican?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2019, 03:17:03 AM »

anime fan / metalhead .”

In my experience, and I'm assumimg in general? the clear majority of people who HATE anime are conservatives. I know many liberals who don't watch it or like it, but that's not the same as hating it. I guess the answer you want here is "it's a stereotype".
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2019, 04:00:55 AM »

anime fan / metalhead .”

In my experience, and I'm assumimg in general? the clear majority of people who HATE anime are conservatives. I know many liberals who don't watch it or like it, but that's not the same as hating it. I guess the answer you want here is "it's a stereotype".

I am a conservative person. However, unlike the vast majority of people, I recognize that it's not within my rights to enforce my personal preferences on others, so I'm a libertarian when it comes to the political sphere. That doesn't mean I wouldn't beat my son with jumper cables if I caught him smoking marijuana though.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2019, 08:21:38 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2019, 08:25:56 AM by Helsinkian »

Also, are there any other sources other than Heavy purporting his leftie twitter posts?

Nope. Not a single source. Just the right-wing fake news site Heavy.com.

Is CNN right-wing fake news too?

And Snopes as well? https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dayton-shooter-warren/
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2019, 08:33:27 AM »

If they repeat Heavy.com's unverified sources, yes.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2019, 08:38:18 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2019, 08:51:56 AM by Helsinkian »

If they repeat Heavy.com's unverified sources, yes.

Who do you need to verify it if you don't trust CNN and Snopes?

Edit: the shooter's ex-girlfriend wrote this:

We ended up getting into a political debate with a Republican. Connor really knew his stuff and he was impressed when I knew mine. Looking back on that debate was one of my favorite memories.
https://medium.com/@_adeliajohnson_/my-ex-boyfriend-was-the-dayton-shooter-2b7f2d792b68
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2019, 08:58:00 AM »

People who knew him in high school said he had extreme right-wing views.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2019, 08:59:20 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2019, 09:11:20 AM by Helsinkian »

People who knew him in high school said he had extreme right-wing views.

You mean like this classmate?

Quote from: NY Post
Dayton mass shooter Connor Betts was a supporter of gun control — with political views that “definitely leaned to the left,” a former classmate says.

“He was actually anti-2nd Amendment,” Bellbrook High School alum Will El-Fakir claimed in an interview with the Dayton Daily News. “Definitely not a right-leaning person.”

... El-Fakir told the Daily News that he knew Betts for years, and he always leaned left.

“He never once spit out a conservative opinion on gun control,” El-Fakir said.
https://nypost.com/2019/08/05/former-classmate-says-dayton-shooter-was-pro-gun-control-definitely-leaned-to-the-left/

But let me guess, you're gonna say that this El-Fakir is a Trump supporter who is just saying this to malign the left, huh?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2019, 09:05:20 AM »

This dude's political views aren't germane to anything. He killed some people that he knew, among others, and he was apparently a huge misogynist. He didn't tie his choice of target to anything to do with politics, or anything that's been said by any Democratic politicians. The El Paso shooter, on the other hand...
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2019, 09:08:39 AM »

What's more, CNN referred to Antifa as a "violent protest group" - even though Antifa has never initiated any violence.

CNN is about as credible as Fox News.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2019, 09:16:14 AM »

This dude's political views aren't germane to anything. He killed some people that he knew, among others, and he was apparently a huge misogynist. He didn't tie his choice of target to anything to do with politics, or anything that's been said by any Democratic politicians. The El Paso shooter, on the other hand...

Was an environmentalist who blamed immigrants for ecological damage
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2019, 09:26:45 AM »

If you were capable of being honest with yourself, you'd see that this description AT LEAST cherry picks and lacks context. But I doubt you are so capable.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2019, 10:42:36 AM »

anime fan / metalhead .”

I am a conservative person. However, unlike the vast majority of people, I recognize that it's not within my rights to enforce my personal preferences on others, so I'm a libertarian when it comes to the political sphere. That doesn't mean I wouldn't beat my son with jumper cables if I caught him smoking marijuana though.

How is that not forcing your preferences on others? Tongue
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2019, 10:48:15 AM »

I'd rather not put the name of the shooter in the headline, here on the Atlas or really anywhere. It doesn't add anything to the story to put out the specific name of the shooter and should thus be left out.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2019, 10:56:23 AM »

If you were capable of being honest with yourself, you'd see that this description AT LEAST cherry picks and lacks context. But I doubt you are so capable.

Yeah I cherry picked that info from noted right wing troll news site the huffington post
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: August 06, 2019, 11:05:42 AM »

Yeah I cherry picked that info from noted right wing troll news site the huffington post

He was a Trump fan who trumpeted all of his invasion talk and wanted the wall to be built.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2019, 11:53:24 AM »

Guys, can we stop trying to toss mass murderers into one another's ideological camps like a hot potato? Seriously, even if the guy was a leftist, what does that mean? I'm sure that we can come up with better refutations of left-wing policy than "Some guy who killed some people believed in Medicare-for-all" or whatever. I get that it's frustrating when red avatars try to act like all mass shooters are right-wing nutjobs, but those far-right shootings don't discredit the right any more than this shooting discredits the left.

It was a little joke meant to make fun of his comment.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2019, 11:59:52 AM »

Guys, can we stop trying to toss mass murderers into one another's ideological camps like a hot potato? Seriously, even if the guy was a leftist, what does that mean? I'm sure that we can come up with better refutations of left-wing policy than "Some guy who killed some people believed in Medicare-for-all" or whatever. I get that it's frustrating when red avatars try to act like all mass shooters are right-wing nutjobs, but those far-right shootings don't discredit the right any more than this shooting discredits the left.

Except it's categorically different when a shooting is specifically motivated by right-wing nativist hate. I'm not saying the shooting discredits the right per se, but it's tied to it more closely than if somebody supports free college and then shoots up a random bar.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2019, 12:42:28 PM »

ya and the El Paso dude was an anti-immigrant radical luddite conservative.

They are both losers whose lives were meaningless and worthless and they should be forgotten. Who cares what their politics were.

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2019, 12:56:02 PM »

Except it's categorically different when a shooting is specifically motivated by right-wing nativist hate. I'm not saying the shooting discredits the right per se, but it's tied to it more closely than if somebody supports free college and then shoots up a random bar.

This right here is the argument people should be making. Instead you have some users who are trying to dismiss reports of the shooter's left-wing ideology as "fake news," which is a losing battle at this point.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2019, 07:32:03 PM »

What's more, CNN referred to Antifa as a "violent protest group" - even though Antifa has never initiated any violence.

CNN is about as credible as Fox News.

Well, Antifa has vandalized their share of property and assaulted some people, but that still isn't equivalent to the body count that alt-right or far-right groups have amassed. It's very disingenuous and misleading to obfuscate this fact.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2019, 07:40:49 PM »

The El Paso shooter, on the other hand, builds a narrative ever so dear to you.  

One event fits your desired storyline; the other doesn't.  

I'll be kind and merely observe that you're not helping.

Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2019, 08:13:40 PM »

The El Paso shooter, on the other hand, builds a narrative ever so dear to you. 

One event fits your desired storyline; the other doesn't. 

I'll be kind and merely observe that you're not helping.

The El Paso shooter drafted a screed that may as well have been written by the White House press office. If you won’t admit that, it’s only because you’re deeply invested in continuing to fool yourself.

I don’t *want* this to be true. It just is. And if the shooter in Dayton had targeted Republicans or white people or men or whatever because Democrats had used violent rhetoric against them, then sure, I’d take a harder look at that. But he didn’t. Again, that’s not me engaging in wishful thinking. It’s just true.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies