House voting on condemnation of Trump's "Go Back To Where You're From"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 05:40:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House voting on condemnation of Trump's "Go Back To Where You're From"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: House voting on condemnation of Trump's "Go Back To Where You're From"  (Read 2536 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2019, 09:55:02 PM »

Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA) flipped Republicans out by reading Trump’s racist statements and positions on the House floor.

“We have an opportunity today to condemn or condone.
Birtherism is racist.
Saying a Mexican judge can’t be fair because of his heritage is racist.
Saying immigrants from Mexico are rapists is racist.
Saying there were good people on both sides in Charlottesville is racist.
Calling African countries sh*thole countries is racist,
 and telling four members of this body to go home is racist.”

LOL. I love it!
Good for Congressman Swalwell.
If you want to see the video of this, click on the link in the Tweet above.

I appreciate Swalwell doing this. But wait, did he say sh*thole on the House floor?

Yes, but only in order to quote the president of the United States verbatim.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2019, 10:06:59 PM »

I keep leaving comments making fun of Eric Swalwell and they keep getting deleted. Is this site run by secret Eric Swalwell fans? Just kidding, that's impossible because Swalwell has no fans.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2019, 10:51:30 PM »

Democrats earlier this year were unwilling to pass a resolution condemning anti-Semitism without attaching a bunch of other issues to it.  Does that mean they condone anti-Semitism?  No, it's all posturing and messaging.

If they had wanted to they could have crafted a more generic measure about treatment of people from different backgrounds that would have gotten Republican votes, but they wanted to call out Trump specifically as being not just wrong but racist, and put Republicans on the defensive.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 10:52:55 PM »

Well, no one can say it’s just Trump anymore. It is now the official position of congressional republicans that it is totally fine to go around telling non-white people to “go back to where they came from.”

Democrats also refused to officially condemn Omar after he duel loyalty comment and many other anti Semitic comments   . So no it’s not only Republicans, it is both parties . Doesn’t excuse the GOP but the Dems aren’t any better .

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 10:57:12 PM »

I'm not surprised Nunes voted against it. He's pretty far off the deep end in terms of Trumpism. But this vote will make a good attack ad or mailer in his, let me check....44.8% Hispanic and 7.3% Asian district (57.6% non-white overall). And these are 2010 Census numbers, I think it's safe to assume his district has more minorities now than it had back then.

Lots of that Hispanic population is undocumented. The CVAP is more around 36% for Hispanic and whites are right at 50% CVAP.

Good point. The undocumented population combined with generally low Hispanic turnout has favored Nunes and Valadao (the latter until 2018, of course). Those two factors also are important in the Republican held 8th (50.2% non-Hispanic white), 23rd (50.6% non-Hispanic white), and 42nd (46.6% non-Hispanic white; all three percentages are based on 2010 Census statistics) districts. All of those districts which based on demographics alone, one would expect to be Democratic or competitive.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2019, 01:52:06 AM »

Well, no one can say it’s just Trump anymore. It is now the official position of congressional republicans that it is totally fine to go around telling non-white people to “go back to where they came from.”

Democrats also refused to officially condemn Omar after he duel loyalty comment and many other anti Semitic comments   . So no it’s not only Republicans, it is both parties . Doesn’t excuse the GOP but the Dems aren’t any better .

Agree fully. US politics now is a big pile of gutter. On BOTH sides. All civility and respect for different opinion is gone...
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2019, 01:59:22 AM »

Agree fully. US politics now is a big pile of gutter. On BOTH sides. All civility and respect for different opinion is gone...

and the blame goes to Mainstream News Media(even excluding Fox and MSNBC) as for too long the only thing they have cared about is ratings, ratings ,and ratings. So to get thoses ratings they turned politics into sports and instead of talking about the issues in detail they talk endlessly about meaningless political battles and over time the voters began to treat politics as sports too.

So now 80% of the voters really dont care one bit about how bad a candidate is as long as they are on their team they will defend them and expect others in the party too as well. The only thing now days that turns people against someone in their own party is a belief that person betrayed the party. 
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2019, 02:40:05 AM »

and the blame goes to Mainstream News Media(even excluding Fox and MSNBC) as for too long the only thing they have cared about is ratings, ratings ,and ratings. So to get thoses ratings they turned politics into sports and instead of talking about the issues in detail they talk endlessly about meaningless political battles and over time the voters began to treat politics as sports too.

So now 80% of the voters really dont care one bit about how bad a candidate is as long as they are on their team they will defend them and expect others in the party too as well. The only thing now days that turns people against someone in their own party is a belief that person betrayed the party. 
You're on to something here.

That being said, many conservatives (not all) in 2019 would reject quality cable news that talked about the issues, because some (not all) of their beloved political positions are based on horse sh_t instead of facts and evidence. Once quality cable news dived into the issues properly and pointed that out, many would get triggered and scream about FAKE NEWS and go back to watching Fox.

I for one would watch it if it was half as good as Secular Talk, David Pakman, Sam Seder, Ring Of Fire or The Young Turks. I don't agree with every single thing said on those shows (especially SJW talk) but they attempt to cut through the cr_p and tackle issues properly without a corporate or establishment bias. Looking for some conservative shows like that to expand my mind. I tried Crowder and Shapiro a few years back... lol.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2019, 03:13:58 AM »

Remind me how many times the Republican House condemned Steve King, Louis Gohmert, or Allen West for their reprehensible statements.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2019, 04:21:15 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2019, 04:27:06 AM by The Voice of America »

To me, it's not skin color. It's dislike for America. If you're white and Christian and say what Omar or AOC say, I'd say "if you don't like it, leave".

It's not about RACE, it's about NATION.

I was calling myself a "nationalist" when George Bush was President. See:

http://i67.tinypic.com/okd5cz.png
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2019, 06:27:27 AM »

To me, it's not skin color. It's dislike for America. If you're white and Christian and say what Omar or AOC say, I'd say "if you don't like it, leave".

I guess that's why you criticized Trump when he was saying that America is a sh**thole.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2019, 07:17:30 AM »

This seems to be a factor uniting the Republican Party's voters more than ever before, and I think it is a winning issue if Trump chooses to run on it instead of taxes, healthcare.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2019, 08:20:41 AM »

Ah, yes, both sides do it! And the evidence? Why, Democrats and the left just won't respect opinions like:

"let's kidnap children and put them in cages"

"let's ignore the law and waste money to abuse brown people"

"let's ignore that Constitution thing if we don't like what it says"

"our ignorance is as good as your knowledge"

"let's elect a self-confessed serial sexual predator with the intellect of a 3rd grade bully"

"bigotry and white supremacy are fine"

If Republicans want respect, they need to earn it - it's not something they're entitled to just because they're old, rich, white males who hooked up with the right crowd. Rather, that's the heart of the problem.

Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2019, 08:46:41 AM »

If you condemn women of color all the time and defend yourself by positing imaginary white men who you would also imaginarily criticize, you may not realize how hard you're owning yourself.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2019, 08:55:58 AM »

A clear majority of Americans say President Trump's tweets targeting four minority congresswomen were "un-American," according to a new USA TODAY/Ipsos Poll. But most Republicans say they agreed with his comments, an illustration of the nation's sharp partisan divide on issues of patriotism and race. 

More than two-thirds of those aware of the controversy, 68%, called Trump's tweets offensive. Among Republicans alone, however, 57% said they agreed with tweets that told the congresswomen to go back to their "original" countries, and a third "strongly" agreed with them. All four lawmakers are American citizens; three were born in the United States.

Two-thirds of those surveyed, 65%, said that telling minority Americans to "go back where they came from" was a racist statement. Nearly three-fourths of Democrats strongly agreed with that. Republicans were inclined to agree that the comment was racist, but only by a narrow margin, 45% to 34%.

Soure
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2019, 09:06:13 AM »

A clear majority of Americans say President Trump's tweets targeting four minority congresswomen were "un-American," according to a new USA TODAY/Ipsos Poll. But most Republicans say they agreed with his comments, an illustration of the nation's sharp partisan divide on issues of patriotism and race. 

More than two-thirds of those aware of the controversy, 68%, called Trump's tweets offensive. Among Republicans alone, however, 57% said they agreed with tweets that told the congresswomen to go back to their "original" countries, and a third "strongly" agreed with them. All four lawmakers are American citizens; three were born in the United States.

Two-thirds of those surveyed, 65%, said that telling minority Americans to "go back where they came from" was a racist statement. Nearly three-fourths of Democrats strongly agreed with that. Republicans were inclined to agree that the comment was racist, but only by a narrow margin, 45% to 34%.

Soure

They recognize the tweets were racist, but a majority support them nonetheless.
This is where we are. Republicans openly admitting racism.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2019, 11:13:34 AM »

Remind me how many times the Republican House condemned Steve King, Louis Gohmert, or Allen West for their reprehensible statements.

Republicans voted to  strip Steve King of his committee assignments
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2019, 11:31:25 AM »

After years and years and years and years of their doing the nothing in the face of his open racism. All he did was get a tiny bit more open in his racism.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2019, 11:44:43 AM »

Yeah, now after years of racist statements and after losing their majority.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2019, 11:51:46 AM »

It's very interesting that Katko voted against Trump despite being in a D+3 district. Seems like pressing your luck.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2019, 11:59:16 AM »

It's very interesting that Katko voted against Trump despite being in a D+3 district. Seems like pressing your luck.
He thought the virtue signalling was more important overall.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2019, 12:08:54 PM »

They only did that because his racism was too obvious, open, and in-your-face to ignore.  If he had just stuck with more subtle dog whistles like any good Republican would have done, he would have been fine. 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2019, 12:10:56 PM »

They only did that because his racism was too obvious, open, and in-your-face to ignore.  If he had just stuck with more subtle dog whistles like any good Republican would have done, he would have been fine. 

Omar’s bigotry is also obvious, open and too in your face to ignore
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2019, 12:15:01 PM »

No it wasn’t. The Benjamins and duel loyalty stuff while having dog whistling elements to it were in no way shape or form as bad as what King or Trump have said
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2019, 12:18:41 PM »

No it wasn’t. The Benjamins and duel loyalty stuff while having dog whistling elements to it were in no way shape or form as bad as what King or Trump have said

More importantly, she sincerely apologized and made efforts to reach out to Jewish leaders and make amends and learn more about the history and impact of anti-Semitism.

Trump will has and never will do anything even close to that. He'll never Express an ounce of regret about anything.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies