What Party will win the 2019 Attorney General's Election in Mississippi?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 07:17:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What Party will win the 2019 Attorney General's Election in Mississippi?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What Party will win the next Attorney General election in Mississippi?
Democratic Party

Republican Party

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: What Party will win the 2019 Attorney General's Election in Mississippi?  (Read 1776 times)
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2019, 04:23:03 AM »
« edited: July 12, 2019, 04:26:07 AM by Galletito »

Jim Hood is running for the Governor of MS and I don't believe he is running for state AG again concurrently. On Ballotpedia the only Dem running for the AG is Jennifer Collins, versus a handful of GOP primary contenders.

What party wins? Dems have controlled the AGs office since 1878, but will this be the year that Republicans win? Without a strong incumbent like Hood, who's won re-election multiple times, will Republicans be able to defeat the Dems?

I feel like Jennifer Collins will have a tough time because she is a black woman and I can imagine that much of Hood's wins were padded by support from right-leaning, conservative White dems who won't want to vote for a woman or black person due to their own racism. However I can also imagine many white and black Dems who would vote for her to try and keep a check on the state's domination by the GOP, and many more MS dems than we think actually would happen to agree with her platform and views on health, education, crime, and the opioid epidemic, etc etc. Although I haven't really done deep research into her platforms and don't have more than a superficial view on MS politics. So idk. It's the poorest state with terrible services and institutions but voters don't seem to care and continually allow parties to capture power in the state.

All previous AGs of the state look to have been white men so I feel unfortunately that this will be the election that MS voters pull the lever for Republicans.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:14:02 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2019, 07:54:08 AM by 2,868,691 »

>99% Republican. Mississippi will eventually elect a black person to a statewide office, but it won't be a black female ACLU lawyer, at least not in 2019. Also Collins has no name recognition or money, so it's unlikely that she would be able to take advantage of any gaffes from the Republican nominee.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 08:20:06 AM »

A black female Democrat getting elected statewide in Mississippi is just not going to happen. Safe Republican.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 10:06:14 AM »

Its sad that Jim Hood is not running for re-election because we needed him for the purpose of keeping the historic streak alive for 4 more years.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 12:06:28 PM »

>99% Republican. Mississippi will eventually elect a black person to a statewide office, but it won't be a black female ACLU lawyer, at least not in 2019. Also Collins has no name recognition or money, so it's unlikely that she would be able to take advantage of any gaffes from the Republican nominee.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 12:12:19 PM »

Its sad that Jim Hood is not running for re-election because we needed him for the purpose of keeping the historic streak alive for 4 more years.

I would gladly trade the AG position for the Gov position in pretty much every state except WV and maybe KY where Governors can’t do much
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 12:20:36 PM »

I would gladly trade the AG position for the Gov position in pretty much every state except WV and maybe KY where Governors can’t do much

The problem is in most likely scenario Republican wins in Mississippi almost by default (the voting is so polarized by race). Even against Hood. I severely doubt, that he will be able to get even comparable to his 2015 results in majority white counties this year ...
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 08:52:58 PM »

Sad !!!
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 09:00:40 PM »

Clearly the Republican Party.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 03:59:06 AM »

This race is Safe Republican
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 08:35:26 AM »

It is what it is. I'm not saying that it's literally impossible for a hypothetical black female candidate to win in Mississippi, even in 2019, but it would have to be someone with a lot more money and name recognition than Collins. No one knew who she was before this year, and only political junkies know who she is now. She's not one of the plethora of candidates currently running ads - maybe that will change as we approach November, but I doubt it.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 09:39:09 AM »

Safe R.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 11:22:59 AM »

Republican wins.

If Mike Moore ran, he would have won for the Democrats.

AG Hood wins this November for the Governorship.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 12:02:49 PM »

This is probably the most-voted-in unanimous poll I've seen in four years on Atlas
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 12:16:37 PM »

It should be pointed out that the Republican nominee for AG will either be:
None of these Republicans are particularly strong candidates (in the context of Republicans in Mississippi). With a good candidate, the Democrats could have put up a fight to hold this office, but nobody other than Collins bothered to run.

Mississippi should stagger the statewide elections away from the legislative and District Attorney elections. There are plausible candidates in both parties for statewide office who don't run because they don't want to risk their current job to go for it. This is especially bad for Democrats, since they know they'd be giving up their current job for a longshot chance.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »

I really hope one day the blackest state in America can elect a black woman to a statewide office. Especially AG or Governor.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 12:47:28 PM »

I really hope one day the blackest state in America can elect a black woman to a statewide office. Especially AG or Governor.

30 years for now - may be... But not sure even about that. Black man will, most likely, be elected earlier...
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 03:07:56 PM »

It's sad Jim Hood didn't work to line up a successor. The stronger the slate, the better his odds are of winning the Governorship.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 03:12:32 PM »

It should be pointed out that the Republican nominee for AG will either be:
None of these Republicans are particularly strong candidates (in the context of Republicans in Mississippi). With a good candidate, the Democrats could have put up a fight to hold this office, but nobody other than Collins bothered to run.

Mississippi should stagger the statewide elections away from the legislative and District Attorney elections. There are plausible candidates in both parties for statewide office who don't run because they don't want to risk their current job to go for it. This is especially bad for Democrats, since they know they'd be giving up their current job for a longshot chance.

Yeah what’s the most depressing about this situation is that there are Democrats on the local bench that could have had a real chance at winning. Some youngconservadem lawyers in the legislature and DA’s
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 03:27:10 PM »

30 years for now - may be... But not sure even about that. Black man will, most likely, be elected earlier...

I think a black woman would have an easier time being elected statewide than a black man, given your average white racist would feel much less threatened by a black woman than a black man who can be painted as a "thug", etc.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 03:30:30 PM »

I think a black woman would have an easier time being elected statewide than a black man, given your average white racist would feel much less threatened by a black woman than a black man who can be painted as a "thug", etc.

A racist like that wouldn’t vote for a Democrat regardless
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 03:33:10 PM »

Does AG have the majority of state house districts rule like governor does? IDK because all of Hood's AG wins were big enough that it wouldn't have been invoked. 
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 12:56:12 AM »

I could see her getting a result similar to what Espy got.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 04:01:23 AM »

No chance. 40-41% at most....
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 12:34:41 PM »

I can't. Espy had money and decades of name recognition. She will not break 40% unless her opponent makes some big gaffes.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies