Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 09:02:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 78
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2  (Read 107147 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: September 19, 2019, 06:45:48 AM »

The last debate showed that some of the rust is coming off of ol' Joe. But he still has alot of issues with being inchoherent and being a gaffe machine. Come the general, i really hope hes back in tip top shape. The last thing democrats want is to make Trump look smart and put together.

As I have said many times before I fail to see how, he is incoherent, even his "seemingly incoherent" answers, can be understood using simple context and analysis.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1226 on: September 19, 2019, 10:38:39 AM »

One thing I've noticed is that differentiates Joe.

Most of the other candidates have one big policy point, and then relentlessly hammer that point, why it is important, why we need it, why it's better than other policies, etc. without going into any sort of policy detail.

Joe, on the other hand, has a smorgasbord of policies both major and minor.  When I read his campaign platform, it reads like a big old notepad he's been keeping for fifty years of all the things he wishes Congress would have done.  He has so many policies that in these debates he sometimes runs away with himself trying to remember and list them and comes off as scatterbrained.

Let me give you an example.  Every candidate wants to ban private prisons.  But they go about it in different ways.  Here's attorney general and legal expert Kamala Harris's policy platform:

Quote from: Kamala Harris
End the use of private prisons.  Less than 10 percent of our prison population is held in private facilities, but it is nevertheless still necessary to end the profit motive that drives these private prisons, as it is inhumane to profit off of imprisonment and allow a system that continues to create incentives that are contrary to the goal of helping people rehabilitate themselves and return to the community. Kamala also believes we must end private detention centers for undocumented immigrants.

I've left the part that's actual policy in black.  The entire rest of it, in red, is just pablum about why private prisons are bad.  That's not policy!

In contrast, here's the exact same section in Joe's platform:

Quote from: Joe Biden
Stop corporations from profiteering off of incarceration. Biden will end the federal government’s use of private prisons, building off an Obama-Biden Administration’s policy rescinded by the Trump Administration. And, he will make clear that the federal government should not use private facilities for any detention, including detention of undocumented immigrants. Biden will also make eliminating private prisons and all other methods of profiteering off of incarceration – including diversion programs, commercial bail, and electronic monitoring – a requirement for his new state and local prevention grant program. Finally, Biden will support the passage of legislation to crack down on the practice of private companies charging incarcerated individuals and their families outrageously high fees to make calls.

There is no red.  The entire thing is policy.  It's more policy, with more detail, and specific ways Joe will get it done.

Yeah, Joe may not go on and on with red-meat rhetoric in his speeches and debate answers.  He may not "inspire you" with a long schpiel of red text.  But that's because he's busy figuring out, and explaining, what he'll actually do.  And between the two candidates, if you pick Joe, you're going to see a lot more actual difference in the world.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #1227 on: September 19, 2019, 11:22:38 AM »

I hope they're paying you.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1228 on: September 19, 2019, 11:58:56 AM »

The existence of "Corn Pop" isn't the question. Biden's telling of the story was utterly unintelligible. He didn't put one single coherent sentence together in that entire clip.

I understood it. Maybe you just haven't been around enough Baby Boomers. If you actually listened, the story was not at all hard to follow.

Well, my parents are boomers. Though to be fair, I don't listen to them either.

Well, they're all evil people because they're to the right of you, right, comrade?

I honestly have no idea what this comment was meant to imply.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1229 on: September 19, 2019, 12:47:03 PM »

Now this is the kind of insightful analysis I come to Atlas for.
JG

« Reply #1230 on: September 19, 2019, 01:15:21 PM »

One thing I've noticed is that differentiates Joe.

Most of the other candidates have one big policy point, and then relentlessly hammer that point, why it is important, why we need it, why it's better than other policies, etc. without going into any sort of policy detail.

Joe, on the other hand, has a smorgasbord of policies both major and minor.  When I read his campaign platform, it reads like a big old notepad he's been keeping for fifty years of all the things he wishes Congress would have done.  He has so many policies that in these debates he sometimes runs away with himself trying to remember and list them and comes off as scatterbrained.

Let me give you an example.  Every candidate wants to ban private prisons.  But they go about it in different ways.  Here's attorney general and legal expert Kamala Harris's policy platform:

Quote from: Kamala Harris
End the use of private prisons.  Less than 10 percent of our prison population is held in private facilities, but it is nevertheless still necessary to end the profit motive that drives these private prisons, as it is inhumane to profit off of imprisonment and allow a system that continues to create incentives that are contrary to the goal of helping people rehabilitate themselves and return to the community. Kamala also believes we must end private detention centers for undocumented immigrants.

I've left the part that's actual policy in black.  The entire rest of it, in red, is just pablum about why private prisons are bad.  That's not policy!

In contrast, here's the exact same section in Joe's platform:

Quote from: Joe Biden
Stop corporations from profiteering off of incarceration. Biden will end the federal government’s use of private prisons, building off an Obama-Biden Administration’s policy rescinded by the Trump Administration. And, he will make clear that the federal government should not use private facilities for any detention, including detention of undocumented immigrants. Biden will also make eliminating private prisons and all other methods of profiteering off of incarceration – including diversion programs, commercial bail, and electronic monitoring – a requirement for his new state and local prevention grant program. Finally, Biden will support the passage of legislation to crack down on the practice of private companies charging incarcerated individuals and their families outrageously high fees to make calls.

There is no red.  The entire thing is policy.  It's more policy, with more detail, and specific ways Joe will get it done.

Yeah, Joe may not go on and on with red-meat rhetoric in his speeches and debate answers.  He may not "inspire you" with a long schpiel of red text.  But that's because he's busy figuring out, and explaining, what he'll actually do.  And between the two candidates, if you pick Joe, you're going to see a lot more actual difference in the world.

I mean, that's exactly one of Hillary's weaknesses. She had a load of policies and she was ready to deal with everything under the sun. Unfortunately, it made it hard for her campaign to focus on one message. She was pushing so many different policies at the same time that it gave the impression that she stood for absolutely nothing.
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #1231 on: September 19, 2019, 05:28:09 PM »

Biden will not win.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-gaffe-put-720-million-women-in-workforce
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1232 on: September 19, 2019, 05:35:50 PM »

He said million instead of thousand. By God Biden is finished.
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #1233 on: September 19, 2019, 06:02:24 PM »

He said million instead of thousand. By God Biden is finished.
His decline in polling over the past several months suggests he will be quite finished in due time. You are right.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1234 on: September 19, 2019, 07:55:56 PM »

I'm starting to think Biden's strategy is to make so many gaffes that Democrats become convinced he's invincible when he's still pulling at 30% at the end of it all. He lets other candidates fight each other in the activist lane while he just sits back, occasionally throwing out a gaffe here or there.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1235 on: September 19, 2019, 09:00:41 PM »

I'm starting to think Biden's strategy is to make so many gaffes that Democrats become convinced he's invincible when he's still pulling at 30% at the end of it all. He lets other candidates fight each other in the activist lane while he just sits back, occasionally throwing out a gaffe here or there.
LOL, unfortunately, I do not think the dude is that smart. Certainly a major silver lining nonetheless.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1236 on: September 20, 2019, 07:14:25 PM »

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1175131274723377154

Biden isn't above the law.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #1237 on: September 20, 2019, 07:25:13 PM »

Biden's days are numbered.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1238 on: September 20, 2019, 09:00:49 PM »

Biden needed to have spent the past day+ saying, "Trump needs to be impeached for politically-motivated abuse of power." If he followed it up with, "Too bad for me, because any other GOP candidate is going to be harder to beat than that lying, cheating, crook" that wouldn't be a bad move either. But its the failure to respond to what's becoming a major scandal fast, hard, and on point that convinces me he's the wrong candidate to take on Trump.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1239 on: September 20, 2019, 09:47:57 PM »

Biden needed to have spent the past day+ saying, "Trump needs to be impeached for politically-motivated abuse of power." If he followed it up with, "Too bad for me, because any other GOP candidate is going to be harder to beat than that lying, cheating, crook" that wouldn't be a bad move either. But its the failure to respond to what's becoming a major scandal fast, hard, and on point that convinces me he's the wrong candidate to take on Trump.

He doesn't need to respond.  The media is saturated with fact checks favorable to him.  Trump is being ridiculed.  Democrats are saying he needs to be impeached.  Republicans are cowering in fear.  The only people giving the "scandal" any credibility are wingnuts like jfern who were never going to vote for Biden anyway.

This literally couldn't be going any better for Biden.  Why mess with a good thing?  Why give it oxygen and validation by responding to it when he couldn't possibly make the media coverage any more favorable?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1240 on: September 20, 2019, 09:48:28 PM »

It is telling that Trump was basically pressuring Ukraine to target Biden's son, this is not how an unbiased investigation is conducted, instead the president is pressuring a foreign country to support an investigation of the son of one of his primary opponents for the next election. This investigation does not look unbiased at all

I don't think that Biden is purposefully making gaffes and many of these "gaffes" are very minor and subtle. This post basically implies that Biden wants to win by ruining his own campaign? Yes, there is very little logic in this particular line of reasoning that has been presented.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1241 on: September 21, 2019, 01:38:26 PM »

This Ukraine story has legs, hopefilly, it manifests and allow Warren too build her candidacy. We have had 3 scandals for Biden: women harrassment, raciak sterotypes and now Ukraine; as a result, Warren, not Biden should be the nominee
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1242 on: September 21, 2019, 02:00:33 PM »

This is Biden's best moment of the campaign.

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1243 on: September 21, 2019, 02:03:29 PM »

I'm sorry.... he should be calling for impeachment. This man broke the law to go after you and your family and you are still so wrapped up in this archaic, genteel, fake veneer of civility that you won't call for impeachment? K.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1244 on: September 21, 2019, 02:05:23 PM »

Yes, Biden, like Pelosi are frauds, they dont have the guts to call on Trump's impeachment
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1245 on: September 21, 2019, 02:13:09 PM »

I want more of this.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1246 on: September 21, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »

The story has connections.

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1247 on: September 21, 2019, 09:13:34 PM »

lol no.  It's going to help his bid.  The story is very weak because it can be refuted with one simple fact:  The prosecutor Biden wanted gone was not investigating Hunter Biden.

That's it, that's the whole case.

Beyond that, it's doing wonders for Biden.  It makes him 1-on-1 with Trump.  It gives him a Trump scandal that's incredibly damaging and very easy to explain to voters. 
BundouYMB

« Reply #1248 on: September 21, 2019, 09:37:07 PM »

No, it's a huge benefit to Biden's bid. The resulting Biden-Trump feud will help Biden in the primary, and no one will care in the general because Trump so obviously and ineptly politicized it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1249 on: September 21, 2019, 09:50:06 PM »

Hunter Biden could potentially damage Biden more than Hillary's emails did in the general election. There's also the China issue.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies