Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 03:35:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 78
Author Topic: Joe Biden 2020 campaign megathread v2  (Read 106805 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: September 02, 2019, 11:09:46 PM »

This is yet another thinly veiled ageist attack. Joe Biden is fine, and his age should not be a disqualifying factor. I'm not sure why people are so outraged about older people running for office. Joe Biden is able to serve in the office of President, if elected, and that is all that should matter

Simple.

Young Democrats win...old ones lose. The last one under 55 that lost had an assist against him from some stooges in Florida, and before that, well...there was ratf*(king just for his campaign to be the campaign in the first place.

Everyone else since 1960 that won has been under 55.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #951 on: September 02, 2019, 11:10:26 PM »

Twelve years ago Obama won the White House in a landslide running on hope (for a better future) and change (not W).

Today Biden runs on hope (to go back to a time before the country went mad) and change (not Trump).

And given that Obama gave us Trump in the first place and the worst hemorraghing down-ballot right before [and the lamest re-election since 1916], perhaps such comparisons and ideas are not ones to aspire to in the first place.

Obama's re-election was clearly more impressive than W 2004 at least -- he did significantly better in both the electoral and popular vote.

Also considering Obama was running at a time when polarization was already sky high and rising, and the economy wasn't close to recovered yet, that makes it even more impressive. Also considering Wilson was running in a deeply Republican age when Democrats were routinely wiped out outside the South, and only won in 1912 because of a fatal split in the GOP (still managing to barely win over 40% of the vote), I'd say his 1916 re-election wasn't half bad either.

I'll concede downballot Obama wasn't that strong, but it wasn't entirely his fault. It's like pulling teeth to get Democrats to show up to vote on off-years.

I don't give a sh**t what anybody says, Wilson would have CRUSHED Taft in a two way race. Roosevelt is more debatable, but Taft I don't have any doubt at all. To assume that every single Roosevelt voter would have gone to Taft is actually beyond f-cking ridiculous. Especially since Roosevelt politically in 1912 was more aligned to Wilson than Taft. I think that it would be safe to assume about 1/3 of Roosevelt voters would have backed Wilson, putting him at 51 percent. Again Roosevelt I can see the argument for, but Taft is not a question in my eyes.

But let's get back on point before this turns totally off topic
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #952 on: September 02, 2019, 11:13:13 PM »

Of course, he wants to do this. While I'll concede that he had repeatedly declined to run earlier, there is a reason that he reversed on it, and it is likely because, he believes, rightfully so, that he has the right message to beat Trump. But, I also feel that he genuinely wants the job, he is making an active effort to reach out and appeal to people. If he did not want to be doing this, he wouldn't have run the energetic campaign that he has. So, put simply, no, he is not running, just for the sake of running. He actually wants to be President and has run quite an energetic campaign seeking to reach out to voters.

And Trump's allies are acknowledging this and are planning every attack to "swift boat" Biden in the same manner it happened to John Kerry--and on more personal matters.  
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #953 on: September 03, 2019, 01:35:20 AM »

This is yet another thinly veiled ageist attack. Joe Biden is fine, and his age should not be a disqualifying factor. I'm not sure why people are so outraged about older people running for office. Joe Biden is able to serve in the office of President, if elected, and that is all that should matter

Simple.

Young Democrats win...old ones lose. The last one under 55 that lost had an assist against him from some stooges in Florida, and before that, well...there was ratf*(king just for his campaign to be the campaign in the first place.

Everyone else since 1960 that won has been under 55.

I have doubts these candidates lost because of their age. George McGovern lost at 50, Al Gore "lost" at 52, and Johnson was 56 in 1964, but he was an incumbent prez. As things stand right now, Biden, Warren and Sanders would most likely beat Trump.

Striking is, however, Biden would be the oldest Dem nominee since Dukakis in 1988. And I mean all the following nominees were born after him.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #954 on: September 03, 2019, 01:03:05 PM »

As much as I love that post, I feel it's getting a bit past its sell by date.
Unfortunately, so is Joe Biden

It's an open attack! Please do not suggest that I am attempting to veil my disdain for Joe Biden.

That said, I think "ageism" may be the kinder message here. If you're not going to excuse this sort of thing as dementia, for instance, the only explanation can be that he is a liar:
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #955 on: September 03, 2019, 02:16:02 PM »

As much as I love that post, I feel it's getting a bit past its sell by date.
Unfortunately, so is Joe Biden

It's an open attack! Please do not suggest that I am attempting to veil my disdain for Joe Biden.

That said, I think "ageism" may be the kinder message here. If you're not going to excuse this sort of thing as dementia, for instance, the only explanation can be that he is a liar:

"He voted for the war before he was against it." Just another flip-flop.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #956 on: September 03, 2019, 04:16:21 PM »

Even if it's not- shouldn't "Electable Joe" have this sewn up and be on track to win every state except Vermont? LOL.
JG

« Reply #957 on: September 03, 2019, 04:26:58 PM »

Even if it's not- shouldn't "Electable Joe" have this sewn up and be on track to win every state except Vermont? LOL.

Didn't Hillary's campaign made the same argument in 2008 when they started to smell trouble?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #958 on: September 03, 2019, 04:35:05 PM »

Buh, muh "down-to-Earth person that can win back WI/MI/PA"...
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #959 on: September 03, 2019, 06:18:15 PM »

You guys just keep patting each other on the back about how doomed Biden is to fail.  He's still comfortably at or above 30% in the polls and leading in almost every state, despite an absurd amount of negative media coverage and distortion, not to mention dealing with a 7-on-1 gang-up in every debate.

Hope you'll all vote for him in November instead of falling on your fainting couch about how he did fundraisers with a lobbyist.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #960 on: September 03, 2019, 07:20:15 PM »

It’s pathetic how his team is already trying to play the expectations game like this - on the other hand, though, could be a smart move and take the wind out of Warren’s sails if he does end up winning.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #961 on: September 03, 2019, 07:50:55 PM »

It’s pathetic how his team is already trying to play the expectations game like this - on the other hand, though, could be a smart move and take the wind out of Warren’s sails if he does end up winning.

I can't remember the last time the front-runner in a competitive primary didn't tell the press they were writing off Iowa.

Hillary did it in 2016 and 2008.  Trump did it in 2016.  Romney did it in 2012.  I guess Kerry?  There was no clear front-runner at that point in 2004 though.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #962 on: September 03, 2019, 09:11:27 PM »

I can't remember the last time the front-runner in a competitive primary didn't tell the press they were writing off Iowa.

Hillary did it in 2016 and 2008.  Trump did it in 2016.  Romney did it in 2012.  I guess Kerry?  There was no clear front-runner at that point in 2004 though.

Well given Obama won it and took over as front-runner from there, given Hillary barely won it and had she lost probably would've lost a good amount of cred...possibly even lost to Sanders in '16, and given how Iowa has determined the nominee since '96 [and every one of these primaries besides '88 and '92...which Gephardt and Harkin won...for obvious reasons], that seems like a rather suicidal thing to do.

As for the GOP, it's NH that tends to be more decisive than Iowa, so the comparison doesn't work.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #963 on: September 03, 2019, 10:21:50 PM »

Well given Obama won it and took over as front-runner from there, given Hillary barely won it and had she lost probably would've lost a good amount of cred...possibly even lost to Sanders in '16, and given how Iowa has determined the nominee since '96 [and every one of these primaries besides '88 and '92...which Gephardt and Harkin won...for obvious reasons], that seems like a rather suicidal thing to do.

As for the GOP, it's NH that tends to be more decisive than Iowa, so the comparison doesn't work.

I think that's entirely the point, Iowa likes to vote for insurgents and populists, which doesn't describe established front-runners eyeing the general.  So the front-runners lie to the press to lower expectations, then fiercely compete anyway.

Hillary got third in 2008 which is really what broke her campaign.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #964 on: September 03, 2019, 10:35:14 PM »

I think that's entirely the point, Iowa likes to vote for insurgents and populists, which doesn't describe established front-runners eyeing the general.  So the front-runners lie to the press to lower expectations, then fiercely compete anyway.

This seems to be a good take, it is very likely that if the frontrunner outperforms these lower expectations, it would provide an even larger boost to their campaign
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #965 on: September 04, 2019, 01:24:39 AM »

This seems to be a good take, it is very likely that if the frontrunner outperforms these lower expectations, it would provide an even larger boost to their campaign

Honestly, one of the things written in the subtext here is that ANY polls of IA and NH before the College Students come back to town, is likely to create an unrealistic picture of the potential composition and support among these voters....

I have posted multiple times on this topic over the past Months....

In IA Caucuses, there are 2nd and 3rd tier consensus based negotiations.

In NH there are tons of Indy voters that can do a cross-over conversion treatment....

I will not consider any polls out of IA or NH to be anything close to normal, until October of '19 when the College Students come home....

Apparently Joe Biden has been following my posts.... Wink
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #966 on: September 04, 2019, 07:38:56 AM »

In the end, Iowa doesn't matter that much.    If we just relied on that state, there wouldn't be a President Reagan, HW Bush, Clinton, or Trump.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #967 on: September 04, 2019, 08:51:37 AM »

In the end, Iowa doesn't matter that much.    If we just relied on that state, there wouldn't be a President Reagan, HW Bush, Clinton, or Trump.

With the GOP, the big state is NH (although yes, McCain won it in 2000 and Buchanan won it in '96).

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #968 on: September 04, 2019, 09:56:36 AM »

In recent years, Iowa picks the Dem winner while New Hampshire picks the GOP winner. Iowa has called the Dem winner in every competitive cycle after 1992.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #969 on: September 04, 2019, 10:16:51 AM »

IA picked Kerry, in 2004, as we found out that it was a mistake. Dean should of won it. I think since Warren is doing better in the polls, its best to chose wisely, not go by the Establishment frontrunner
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #970 on: September 04, 2019, 07:28:11 PM »

https://twitter.com/People4Bernie/status/1169402501470121989?s=20

Biden didn’t realize he was going to a fundraiser cohosted by a fossil fuel executive until Anderson Cooper told him live on TV.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #971 on: September 04, 2019, 09:23:23 PM »

https://twitter.com/People4Bernie/status/1169402501470121989?s=20

Biden didn’t realize he was going to a fundraiser cohosted by a fossil fuel executive until Anderson Cooper told him live on TV.

There is a zero percent chance he didn't know Tongue
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #972 on: September 04, 2019, 10:08:02 PM »

Biden suffers a burst blood vessel in his left eye during CNN climate town hall:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/bidens-eye-fills-with-blood-during-cnn-climate-town-hall
JG

« Reply #973 on: September 04, 2019, 10:23:52 PM »

Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #974 on: September 04, 2019, 11:05:21 PM »

damn, some of you guys are all like "i hope y'all vote for him in november." i don't think he's going to live till next november
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies