Cornyn sweating
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 05:06:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Cornyn sweating
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Cornyn sweating  (Read 4277 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2019, 06:05:28 PM »
« edited: June 22, 2019, 06:52:06 PM by 1J »

Texas Hispanics are more conservative by a mile than Hispanics in other states, but obviously Texas is shifting left - just not as fast as a lot on this website like to believe.

Idk man, it shifted 6 points to the left from just 2016 to 2018 alone lol. It wasn't just Beto - downballot dems only did about 1-2 points (and some, like MJ Hegar, outperformed Beto).

This was with relatively low hispanic turnout too. 2020 will likely have higher hispanic and youth turnout too which will help dems.

I imagine Cornyn should have a healthy lead on MJ Hegar for a while because she has really low name recognition, but I think in the last month or so she might start leading Cornyn in the polling averages.

Correction: Hegar slightly underperformed O’Rourke. Hegar lost by 2.9 while Beto lost by 2.

I guess Cornyn tweeted that to show his “appreciation” for multiculturalism and that other stuff.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2019, 06:38:06 PM »

LMAO

What's Cornyn's reason for tweeting this 🤔
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2019, 06:59:46 PM »

Unpopular opinion: Cornyn wouldn’t have done better than Cruz in 2018, and there’s a good chance that he would have lost the seat for Republicans. Cruz and his brand might be polarizing, but unlike Cornyn, Cruz has been able to cultivate a large following among conservatives and can generate higher base turnout, which matters in an unfavorable midterm environment. Cornyn on the other hand is pretty much your typical uncharismatic Republican leadership hack who’s been in politics for decades, but with little name recognition and no obvious advantages or crossover appeal of any kind. Republicans really lucked out with Cornyn being up for reelection in a presidential year and Cruz running in a midterm year, if you ask me.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2019, 08:40:37 PM »

Cornyn is safe, and even BeTo whom, decided not to challenge him, was losing to Cornyn. Castro didn't want to do it. ME, CO, AZ and NC are Dems best bet for 2020
UncleSam

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2019, 10:47:28 PM »

Texas Hispanics are more conservative by a mile than Hispanics in other states, but obviously Texas is shifting left - just not as fast as a lot on this website like to believe.

Idk man, it shifted 6 points to the left from just 2016 to 2018 alone lol. It wasn't just Beto - downballot dems only did about 1-2 points (and some, like MJ Hegar, outperformed Beto).

This was with relatively low hispanic turnout too. 2020 will likely have higher hispanic and youth turnout too which will help dems.

I imagine Cornyn should have a healthy lead on MJ Hegar for a while because she has really low name recognition, but I think in the last month or so she might start leading Cornyn in the polling averages.

Correction: Hegar slightly underperformed O’Rourke. Hegar lost by 2.9 while Beto lost by 2.

I guess Cornyn tweeted that to show his “appreciation” for multiculturalism and that other stuff.
It was Beto and the environment. In a D+9 environment Dems will stand a chance at Texas (or will at least be close), sure. But in a neutral or close to neutral environment it won’t be close, and that stands for at least the next few cycles. Dems need a wave to compete there in the short term.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2019, 11:33:38 PM »

LMAO

Are you familiar at all with the tendency of white nationalists and racists these days generally being Republican voters? Spook them enough, often enough, and they don't become just voters, but activists and donors too!
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2019, 02:14:26 AM »

Better to sweat and win than take it easy and be taken aback when you lose (*cough* Nelson)
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2019, 01:33:15 PM »

LMAO

Are you familiar at all with the tendency of white nationalists and racists these days generally being Republican voters? Spook them enough, often enough, and they don't become just voters, but activists and donors too!

I was being sarcastic lol
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2019, 01:43:30 PM »

LMAO

Maybe trying to raise awareness about the fact that the hispanics are coming in massive hordes, trying to replace the people (Anglo-Americans) that made Texas into what it is. Before you scream racist, I want you to just look at California, they let too many illegals in, and because of this, Anglos have lost dominance, essentially turning into a liberal cesspool. By the time Wilson got elected, it was already too late.

The standard is beyond low at this point, there is no ground to stand on from this area to say that Greedo should remain banned.
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2019, 01:53:39 PM »

LMAO

Maybe trying to raise awareness about the fact that the hispanics are coming in massive hordes, trying to replace the people (Anglo-Americans) that made Texas into what it is. Before you scream racist, I want you to just look at California, they let too many illegals in, and because of this, Anglos have lost dominance, essentially turning into a liberal cesspool. By the time Wilson got elected, it was already too late.

The standard is beyond low at this point, there is no ground to stand on from this area to say that Greedo should remain banned.
I meant to reply to that, but thankfully the mods removed it before I could... screw it, I'll give my thoughts on it anyway.

1) "Anglos" stole Texas from Mexico in the first place
2). There is no unwritten rule that Hispanics have to vote for Democrats, it's utterly baffling how Republicans refuse to even try to win them over and instead chase after old white people who are dying off more and more every year. it's going to be spectacular to watch this inane strategy backfire on the GOP.
3). "coming in massive hordes"; as if you're describing a zombie apocalypse. this speaks to how racist you are and how terrified of brown people you are.
4). You harping on the "great replacement" conspiracy theory proves you're a white supremacist, and no one is immigrating to Texas just because they want to replace white people there, that makes no sense.
5). This is unrelated, but Virginia is Safe D in 2020 and Warner will win reelection by more than Kaine did in 2018.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2019, 02:17:33 PM »

Republicans have maintained an edge with Tejano voters (native Texans of Mexican origin) and that has helped them a lot in Texas, but that edge has eroded. Bexar County is strongly Tejano and we see how far it swung Democratic. It's similar to the Cuban vote in Florida.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2019, 02:43:21 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2019, 07:02:24 AM by Clinton King Mills Congressional Dem voter for Trump »

LMAO at MT Treasurer's revisionism in this thread. The consensus before the midterms was that Cruz was an execpetionally weak incumbent (he was) and that O'Rourke was a top tier challenger (he was).

Cornyn is favored, get over it Atlas. He is nowhere near as off-putting to suburban voters as Cruz and the Democrats probably are not going to get an O'Rourke tier challenger.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2019, 04:50:24 AM »

Cornyn is not losing, period.

In a Biden Trump race if everything went perfect for the Dems you might see a split ticket
but as for the Senate race, it’s a Likely R
InheritTheWind

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2019, 08:57:11 AM »

Where the hell is this Unbeatable Titan John Cornyn narrative coming from? He's consistently polled at lower approval ratings than Cruz, and Texas isn't getting any more Republican. He's obviously the favorite, but by no means is he safe.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2019, 09:07:47 AM »

Where the hell is this Unbeatable Titan John Cornyn narrative coming from? He's consistently polled at lower approval ratings than Cruz, and Texas isn't getting any more Republican. He's obviously the favorite, but by no means is he safe.

It's a meme

But, you clearly have no sense of humor

You are a robot
InheritTheWind

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2019, 09:12:13 AM »

It's a meme

But, you clearly have no sense of humor

You are a robot

oh right im sorry that i didnt pick up that everything on this forsaken forum is cloaked in three layers of irony
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2019, 03:56:48 PM »

It more comes from the pundits than atlas.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2019, 04:36:28 PM »

Beto need to realize, he needs to run for Senate, rather than run for president, even Cory Booker, with the Biden gaffee has a better chance than he is. It's still a Biden and Sanders race in IA and NH.

I hope Beto runs.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2019, 04:37:39 PM »

It more comes from the pundits than atlas.

Pretty much this.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2019, 06:44:31 PM »

He'll be fine. He's no Ted Cruz. He would be able to beat a Beto O'Rourke, especially with presidential turnout. I think O'Rourke knew this and that's why he's running for President instead.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2019, 02:11:21 AM »

Every presidential campaign Dems target FL and TX and both disalloint Dems with Rubio, Cruz, Scott and Cornyn
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2019, 07:20:14 PM »

Cruz only struggled because he became unpopular after 2016. Cornyn is fine so long as Dems keep putting up terrible candidates. Cornyn could easily be primaried though
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2019, 08:53:00 PM »

Cruz only struggled because he became unpopular after 2016. Cornyn is fine so long as Dems keep putting up terrible candidates. Cornyn could easily be primaried though
We seriously still have people who think this?
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2019, 05:57:27 AM »

Try again.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2019, 03:30:24 PM »

LMAO

I meant to reply to that, but thankfully the mods removed it before I could... screw it, I'll give my thoughts on it anyway.

1) "Anglos" stole Texas from Mexico in the first place
2). There is no unwritten rule that Hispanics have to vote for Democrats, it's utterly baffling how Republicans refuse to even try to win them over and instead chase after old white people who are dying off more and more every year. it's going to be spectacular to watch this inane strategy backfire on the GOP.
3). "coming in massive hordes"; as if you're describing a zombie apocalypse. this speaks to how racist you are and how terrified of brown people you are.
4). You harping on the "great replacement" conspiracy theory proves you're a white supremacist, and no one is immigrating to Texas just because they want to replace white people there, that makes no sense.
5). This is unrelated, but Virginia is Safe D in 2020 and Warner will win reelection by more than Kaine did in 2018.

Conservatives: I like immigration. LEGAL immigration.
Also Conservatives: Use every opportunity to conflate all Latinos with "illegals"
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies