Who is the most anti-Catholic Democratic candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:34:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Who is the most anti-Catholic Democratic candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Who is the most anti-Catholic Democratic candidate?
Kamala Harris

Beto O'Rourke

Pete Buttigieg

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 95

Author Topic: Who is the most anti-Catholic Democratic candidate?  (Read 6330 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 11:04:41 PM »

Pretty pathetic of that article not to give the name of that "priest" so that readers can't Google him and learn that he was disciplined by his own Catholic diocese (!) for his outrageous anti-gay bigotry (!). No Democratic Catholic is going to disagree with the Beto/official Catholic position on this creep, and no Republican Catholic should either.

And pretty pathetic of you to post something that's been widely discussed and debunked on this forum before.

Look at Beto's words. He was attacking the Catholic church as a whole ("the church you represent"), and even criticized the Pope.  Don't pretend Beto was following some official Catholic position here.

Pointing out that the Church has moral failings is not anti-Catholic, and if criticizing the Pope were (ipso facto) anti-Catholic then we'd have to say that several prominent conservative cardinals today are anti-Catholic.

Anyway, the answer is almost certainly Harris. Gillibrand has said some things that evidence a profound cluelessness about how Catholic doctrine works that's astonishing in someone who was raised Catholic and still nominally identifies as Catholic, but I don't think she's hostile to Catholicism as such.

What argument is there that Buttigieg is anti-Catholic? Is it just that he used to be Catholic and no longer is? The same is true of John Kasich and for that matter Mike Pence; that doesn't in and of itself make them anti-Catholic any more than I'm anti-Anglican.

I heard about him getting into some dispute with South Bend's diocese's bishop. And he strongly fought to keep a women's health clinic that performed abortions in South Bend open, something the Catholic Church really gunned for closing.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 11:07:59 PM »

Gillibrand by far.  The majority of the field is virulently anti-Catholic though.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 11:15:09 PM »

Pretty pathetic of that article not to give the name of that "priest" so that readers can't Google him and learn that he was disciplined by his own Catholic diocese (!) for his outrageous anti-gay bigotry (!). No Democratic Catholic is going to disagree with the Beto/official Catholic position on this creep, and no Republican Catholic should either.

And pretty pathetic of you to post something that's been widely discussed and debunked on this forum before.

Look at Beto's words. He was attacking the Catholic church as a whole ("the church you represent"), and even criticized the Pope.  Don't pretend Beto was following some official Catholic position here.

Pointing out that the Church has moral failings is not anti-Catholic, and if criticizing the Pope were (ipso facto) anti-Catholic then we'd have to say that several prominent conservative cardinals today are anti-Catholic.

Anyway, the answer is almost certainly Harris. Gillibrand has said some things that evidence a profound cluelessness about how Catholic doctrine works that's astonishing in someone who was raised Catholic and still nominally identifies as Catholic, but I don't think she's hostile to Catholicism as such.

What argument is there that Buttigieg is anti-Catholic? Is it just that he used to be Catholic and no longer is? The same is true of John Kasich and for that matter Mike Pence; that doesn't in and of itself make them anti-Catholic any more than I'm anti-Anglican.

I heard about him getting into some dispute with South Bend's diocese's bishop. And he strongly fought to keep a women's health clinic that performed abortions in South Bend open, something the Catholic Church really gunned for closing.

He's going against most all Christian denominations doing that though, including his own -- it's not like it was a particularly anti-Catholic action.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 11:19:03 PM »

He's going against most all Christian denominations doing that though, including his own -- it's not like it was a particularly anti-Catholic action.
The Episcopal church wasn't trying to close the clinic.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 11:24:54 PM »

The Episcopal Church opposes elective abortion (like the Catholic Church it allows it to save the mother's life, and unlike the Catholic Church in the case of rape/incest), so it's pretty clear that Buttigieg was going against his denomination, even if they weren't leading the charge.

That's not a knock on him, of course. I'm proud of all 20 candidates in the Democratic field standing up for abortion rights, even though all 20 of them (actually I'm not 100% sure about Gabbard or Yang, but probably them too) belong to religious groups that disagree with their opinion.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2019, 11:50:10 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2019, 01:56:58 AM by The love that set me free »

Look at Beto's words. He was attacking the Catholic church as a whole ("the church you represent"), and even criticized the Pope.  Don't pretend Beto was following some official Catholic position here.

The Episcopal Church opposes elective abortion (like the Catholic Church it allows it to save the mother's life, and unlike the Catholic Church in the case of rape/incest), so it's pretty clear that Buttigieg was going against his denomination, even if they weren't leading the charge.

That's not a knock on him, of course. I'm proud of all 20 candidates in the Democratic field standing up for abortion rights, even though all 20 of them (actually I'm not 100% sure about Gabbard or Yang, but probably them too) belong to religious groups that disagree with their opinion.
1-Sanders, Williamson and Bennet don't.
2-Theres a difference between opposing elective abortion and wanting a clinic closed just because it performs abortions (in addition to many other things that make up the vast majority of what it does.) Mind you the Episcopal church doesn't oppose the pill, which all women's health clinics provide far more of than abortions, but the Catholic church does. Buttigieg wasn't going against Episcopal doctrine or political force in fighting to keep the clinic open, he was against Catholic doctrine and political forces.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 12:58:23 AM »

The candidate who received 2,868,691 more popular votes than Donald Trump had advisers that planned to infiltrate the Catholic Church with liberal activists in an attempt to change Catholic doctrine and bend it toward today's Democratic Party. 

Please don't tell me that the Democratic Party mainstream isn't anti-Catholic.  You don't have your Podestas and Palmeiris planning this caper on e-mail.  Knowing this is another one of Julian Assange's gifts to America.  That key advisers of a Presidential candidate were hatching such plans is kind of an important revelation, is it not?

One of the things I find strange about all of this is that somehow Hillary herself seems to get the blame when, if anything, Obama is more closely linked to the fake Catholic organizations than Hillary is. They were founded, after all, by Tom Perriello, who was a close Obamaworld ally.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 01:56:02 AM »

None of them are anti-Catholic, and Beto is literally a Catholic lol.
He was in a post-hardcore Revolution Summer-influenced band, so he has to be either a closet atheist/agnostic or some sort of emergent or emergent-esque non-denominational Christian because no people outside of these religious identities could be in such a band, the same way there were obviously no Catholics in attendance at Dude Fest. And since he hasn't converted to that type of Christianity, he has to be the former.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 03:43:13 AM »

Not a single candidate is in any way anti-catholic
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 04:11:13 AM »

Harris is the only one on record saying that believing Catholics are equivalent to KKK members and shouldn't be allowed to be judges.

However, I think most of the other candidates (including the superficially Catholic ones) would agree with her if pushed.

They're all anti-Catholic.

The only candidate who isn't anti-Catholic is Tulsi.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 04:25:16 AM »

Ridiculous threads like this are just dumping grounds for those who wish to peddle the most off the wall nonsense and to make claims of things that have no grounding in reality.

Could we... I don't know... have better standards or something and not have more 'have you stopped beating your wife yet?' style threads?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 06:13:16 AM »

Trump insulted the Pope in 2016 and Republicans are clutching their pearls about imagined Democratic conspiracies.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 06:33:01 AM »

Trump insulted the Pope in 2016 and Republicans are clutching their pearls about imagined Democratic conspiracies.

Most such people consider insulting the pope as a demonstration of orthodoxy rather than just regrettable brashness.
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 11:17:43 AM »

(like the Catholic Church it allows it to save the mother's life, and unlike the Catholic Church in the case of rape/incest)

Just to clarify, the Catholic Church teaches that abortion is never morally permissible. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »

It's not just pointing out the Catholic Church has moral failings, it's using that as an ad hominem to say that a representative of the Church deserves to be ignored on a different issue.

But, according to the Catholic Church itself, this "priest" does deserve to be ignored on the issue of gay marriage. Virtually all Catholic Democrats will find nothing wrong with what Beto said to this creep.

Beto was explicitly treating the priest (he was still a priest at this time) as a representative of the Catholic Church, and saying he deserves to be ignored for that reason!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2019, 06:37:27 PM »

Ridiculous threads like this are just dumping grounds for those who wish to peddle the most off the wall nonsense and to make claims of things that have no grounding in reality.

Could we... I don't know... have better standards or something and not have more 'have you stopped beating your wife yet?' style threads?

Yeah, I almost can't believe this thread is real, and I've seen some ridiculous threads on this site.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2019, 07:28:26 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2019, 08:08:41 PM »

It's not just pointing out the Catholic Church has moral failings, it's using that as an ad hominem to say that a representative of the Church deserves to be ignored on a different issue.

But, according to the Catholic Church itself, this "priest" does deserve to be ignored on the issue of gay marriage. Virtually all Catholic Democrats will find nothing wrong with what Beto said to this creep.

Beto was explicitly treating the priest (he was still a priest at this time) as a representative of the Catholic Church, and saying he deserves to be ignored for that reason!

I don't know what else to tell you. Any Catholic truly offended by what Beto said was never going to vote for Beto or any other Democratic candidate anyway.

Both liberal Catholics and conservative Catholics tend to be unoffended by strongly worded criticism of the Church when they agree with the criticism. Democratic Catholics don't care when the Church is criticized for its views on abortion and gay equality, and Republican Catholics don't care when the Church is criticized for its views on climate change, capital punishment and #BuildTheWall.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2019, 08:12:42 PM »

None of them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2019, 08:15:11 PM »

I don't know what else to tell you. Any Catholic truly offended by what Beto said was never going to vote for Beto or any other Democratic candidate anyway.

Both liberal Catholics and conservative Catholics tend to be unoffended by strongly worded criticism of the Church when they agree with the criticism. Democratic Catholics don't care when the Church is criticized for its views on abortion and gay equality, and Republican Catholics don't care when the Church is criticized for its views on climate change, capital punishment and #BuildTheWall.
Exactly why it makes no sense to be Catholic, why belong to a church that's guaranteed to piss you off around half the time?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2019, 08:27:51 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2019, 08:33:40 PM by Hugo Award nominee »

Quote from:  Resist the Urge to Kiss a Dead Girl  link=topic=322383.msg6842840#msg6842840 date=1560894839 uid=23190
None of them are anti-Catholic, and Beto is literally a Catholic lol.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2019/03/tbt-that-time-beto-orourke-berated-a-catholic-priest/

Look at Beto's words. He was attacking the Catholic church as a whole ("the church you represent"), and even criticized the Pope.  Don't pretend Beto was following some official Catholic position here.

Exactly why it makes no sense to be Catholic, why belong to a church that's guaranteed to piss you off around half the time?

The center of gravity of today's Catholic Church is really not that far away, in the grand scheme of things, from the center of gravity of the people on this graph. It's just that American Catholics who are politically vocal and Extremely Online share the tendency of other politically vocal and Extremely Online Americans to be Red Tribe and Blue Tribe forever-warriors. It doesn't make a ton of sense for those people to be Catholic, no, but then, it doesn't make a ton of sense for them to be Red Tribe and Blue Tribe forever-warriors either.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2019, 08:47:20 PM »

Yeah, I kinda agree with this sentence on a personal level, but most people don't think like us.

For example, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a devout Catholic, and I don't think she sits around gets all pissed off about her church's views on abortion and gay equality (and presumably premarital sex too, since she cohabitates with her partner). She probably just never even gives them a thought, just like Catholic pro-Trump representatives just ignore the fact that they aren't "supposed" to be for capital punishment or pissing contests with the pope.

Lots of people (not just Catholics) routinely have huge areas of cognitive dissonance and just don't worry about it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2019, 09:19:36 PM »

(like the Catholic Church it allows it to save the mother's life, and unlike the Catholic Church in the case of rape/incest)

Just to clarify, the Catholic Church teaches that abortion is never morally permissible. 

Meh, I know for a fact that a Catholic hospital will remove an ectopic pregnancy that is threatening a woman's life.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2019, 01:01:21 AM »

Plus he was in a band for f[inks] sake.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2019, 02:19:04 AM »
« Edited: June 20, 2019, 02:53:00 AM by Statilius the Epicurean »

If being pro-choice = "anti-Catholic", then Sinn Fein are more anti-Catholic than the DUP.

The idea that being opposed to a particular doctrine of a faith automatically makes you prejudiced against that faith is ridiculous. If true that would make e.g. devout Catholics anti-semites by definition, or, hell, make the majority of US Catholics who disagree with making divorce illegal anti-Catholic too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies