1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:15:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 46
Author Topic: 1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)  (Read 44672 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2019, 01:05:40 AM »

They announced the podium placement for both nights:

Night One:
de Balsio - Ryan - Castro - Booker - Warren - O'Rourke - Klobuchar - Gabbard - Inslee - Delaney

Night Two:
Williamson - Hickenlooper - Yang - Buttigieg - Biden - Sanders - Harris - Gillibrand - Bennet - Swalwell

Source

Pretty cramped stage. Thank God Abrams isn't running. I don't think they could fit in both of her podiums.

Jesus, man
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2019, 01:07:36 AM »

It's not the DNC's fault Bullock didn't qualify. He took until the last minute to announce, and his appeal is already taken by Biden, O'Rourke, etc.

I'm fine with that argument for a later debate, but all candidates with a real campaign (IE, not the people who are just unknown names on the ballot for the lulz) should get a chance to make their appeal to the people on the national debate stage.

A three-night debate with 8 slots each could have sufficed, and the next debate could have had a stricter standard.

The whole reason we have so many randos running is because they thought they could be one of the 20 who made the debate stage. If they had set the initial cap at 24 candidates we'd have 29 running

If we had 29 candidates, the voters would deserve the chance to see all 29 of them up on the stage making their case.

There are currently 269 candidates running for the Democratic nomination according to FEC filings. If people are going to run just to get their name in the media spotlight for half a second, they should be treated as such. Just because you are running does not mean you have any chance of winning and by ignoring that fact you are both insulting the actual candidates and dismissing people who actually might want to know where their future nominee might stand. The other 249 (and counting) candidates can spread their message elsewhere until they prove that they deserve a spot on the stage with those who actually stand a chance.

And I know you said candidates with a real campaign should be the only ones considered, but we're already stretching that definition with what we've got already. If you are one of the idle rich and have a few million dollars to burn, why not hop in? Sure, you won't have any real chance, but you'll be able to garner enough attention to get your 30 minutes of fame. And maybe your wasting of voter's time will put you in a decent position to get a cabinet position in a campaign that was likely already turning you over if you were half qualified to begin with.

If your only qualifications are polling less than an average of 0.1% (1% in three polls out of nearly 30 used) and/or getting donations from 0.03% of the voting eligible population, then maybe you don't deserve to have equal time with candidates who have proven that they have at least some appeal or message that is important to the voters in this party.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2019, 09:41:21 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2019, 09:48:33 AM by Farmlands »

Night One:
de Balsio - Ryan - Castro - Booker - Warren - O'Rourke - Klobuchar - Gabbard - Inslee - Delaney

Night Two:
Williamson - Hickenlooper - Yang - Buttigieg - Biden - Sanders - Harris - Gillibrand - Bennet - Swalwell

Source

Pretty cramped stage. Thank God Abrams isn't running. I don't think they could fit in both of her podiums.

Seems like Trump's supporters have been reduced to making "your mom" jokes at much more accomplished people than they'll ever be.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2019, 10:00:00 AM »

Night One:

Night Two:

Source

Seems like Trump's supporters have been reduced to making "your mom" jokes at much more accomplished people than they'll ever be.

Sanchez is, pretty unsurprisingly, a POS edgelord. Comes with the territory of being a Trump supporter I suppose. The correct approach is really to just treat him as noise.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2019, 10:43:07 AM »

Biden being right in between Buttigieg and Bernie is going to be interesting to say the least
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2019, 11:45:29 AM »

Jesus, man

It’s just a joke lmao

My favorite part of any comedy special is when they just repeat "fat people lmao" over and over again.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2019, 12:04:49 PM »

Jesus, man

It’s just a joke lmao

My favorite part of any comedy special is when they just repeat "fat people lmao" over and over again.
Stacey Abrams is so poor that she can’t even pay attention.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2019, 12:06:07 PM »

Jesus, man

It’s just a joke lmao

Stacey Abrams is so poor that she can’t even pay attention.

Ever consider doing standup?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2019, 01:43:41 PM »

Night One:

Night Two:

Source

Sanchez is, pretty unsurprisingly, a POS edgelord. Comes with the territory of being a Trump supporter I suppose. The correct approach is really to just treat him as noise.

To be "fair" to Sanchez, there are a lot of Dems on here who were making the same style of jokes about Chris Christie a few years ago. Not that that excuses his behavior...
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2019, 01:48:37 PM »

Night One:

Night Two:

Source

You're not funny.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2019, 02:33:25 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2019, 02:57:33 PM by Smiling John »

You guys do realize that pretty much every Democrat on this site has referred to Trump as the "Cheeto-in-Chief," the "Tangerine Tornado," or some variant of this theme, right? Remember when everyone called Ted Cruz "Grandpa Munster?" Making fun of a politician's appearance is obviously not the best refutation of their platform, but don't dish it out if you can't take it, for God's sake. You just come across looking like hypocrites.

And for the record:

Trump really does look like a tangerine.
Cruz looks like Kevin from The Office.
AOC has crazy eyes.
Michelle Bachmann has crazier eyes.
Ben Carson always looks half-asleep.
Stacy Abrams is fat.
Chris Christie could've won "Largest Candidate" at the Iowa livestock caucus if he'd entered.
Bernie Sanders has never used a comb in his life.
Hillary Clinton dresses like an authoritarian leader from some Young Adult movie.
Pete Buttigieg looks like Alfred E Newman.
Jeff Sessions looks like a Keebler elf.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2019, 03:16:05 PM »

You guys do realize that pretty much every Democrat on this site has referred to Trump as the "Cheeto-in-Chief," the "Tangerine Tornado," or some variant of this theme, right? Remember when everyone called Ted Cruz "Grandpa Munster?" Making fun of a politician's appearance is obviously not the best refutation of their platform, but don't dish it out if you can't take it, for God's sake. You just come across looking like hypocrites.

And for the record:

AOC has crazy eyes.
Stacy Abrams is fat.
Chris Christie could've won "Largest Candidate" at the Iowa livestock caucus if he'd entered.
Hillary Clinton dresses like an authoritarian leader from some Young Adult movie.
I am all for creating fun names, but fat jokes are old af.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2019, 04:42:55 PM »

And for the record:

AOC has crazy eyes.
Stacy Abrams is fat.

Ding dong your opinion is wrong

Ding dong opinions literally can't be wrong unless they're going against proven facts. That's kinda the whole meaning of opinions.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2019, 04:56:29 PM »

Night One:

Night Two:

Source

Jesus, man
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2019, 05:05:22 PM »

There's no way to confirm this, but I get the sneaking suspicion that the blowback to his comment was not solely due to Atlas' exhaustion with fat jokes.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2019, 08:03:01 PM »

The only reason why I clowned christie's health is because he fell out of his chair. I think weight should be off limits. Phrases like "boot edge edge", "little marco", and whatever else trump uses are hilarious to me.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2019, 08:08:48 PM »

Very excited to begin ruling out each Democratic candidate's chance of getting my support, one-by-one like horny teenagers in a slasher flick.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2019, 08:25:37 PM »

Very excited to begin ruling out each Democratic candidate's chance of getting my support, one-by-one like horny teenagers in a slasher flick.

Harris and Booker first?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2019, 09:53:35 PM »

Night One:

Night Two:

Source

You're not funny.

He's funnier than you
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2019, 10:45:59 PM »

Stacy Abrams is so poor that when she heard about the Last Supper in church, she thought Trump cut off the food stamps!
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2019, 10:54:53 PM »

Looking forward to another flood outbreak in West Virginia.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2019, 11:30:52 PM »

60 second answers and 30 seconds for followups:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/here-are-rules-first-democratic-debate-n1021266

Candidates will have 60 seconds to answer questions and 30 seconds to respond to follow-ups. And there will be no opening statements, though candidates will have a chance to deliver closing remarks.

The two-hour debates will zip by quickly, with five segments each night separated by four commercial breaks.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2019, 12:36:52 AM »

Stacy Abrams is so poor that when she heard about the Last Supper in church, she thought Trump cut off the food stamps!

OK not gonna lie, while I thought the other one was a bit crass, I lol'd at this one.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2019, 06:34:44 AM »

And for the record:

AOC has crazy eyes.
Stacy Abrams is fat.

I didn't realize I had made fun on the appearances of Republican politicians. But nice try.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #149 on: June 25, 2019, 11:13:48 AM »

Will CNBC Europe show the debates live on Thursday and Friday ?

I only have CNN (they are probably not showing it) and CNBC Europe on my cable TV ...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies