1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:29:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 46
Author Topic: 1st DEM Debate Thread: June 26 & 27, Miami, MSNBC & NBC & Telemundo (9-11pm)  (Read 44687 times)
Angel of Death
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2019, 12:54:22 PM »

Based on the polling averages here, if the candidates had been placed in a more deterministic "seed"-like fashion, we would have had
Biden, Harris, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, Yang, Gillibrand, Gabbard, Bennet and two others in one debate and
Sanders, Warren, O’Rourke, Booker, Castro, Ryan and four others in the other.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2019, 03:45:22 PM »

They announced the podium placement for both nights:

Night One:
de Balsio - Ryan - Castro - Booker - Warren - O'Rourke - Klobuchar - Gabbard - Inslee - Delaney

Night Two:
Williamson - Hickenlooper - Yang - Buttigieg - Biden - Sanders - Harris - Gillibrand - Bennet - Swalwell

Source
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2019, 04:16:47 PM »

Some of these podium pictures are a little creepy. One candidate using that for Twitter comedy:

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #103 on: June 18, 2019, 07:56:10 PM »

Some of these podium pictures are a little creepy. One candidate using that for Twitter comedy:

He's an ass in the party but at least he's got a sense of humor lmao
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #104 on: June 18, 2019, 11:47:59 PM »

Pete is gonna look awfully short next to Biden it may dampen the whole young/old contrast. Think he might show up in these?

Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2019, 10:44:04 AM »

I hope they never do debates like this again. A debate that takes place in two different sessions is actually useless, the threshold should have been higher.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2019, 12:54:22 PM »

I hope they never do debates like this again. A debate that takes place in two different sessions is actually useless, the threshold should have been higher.

It's too far out to have anything that is too restrictive. I think the current plan works for the Summer, before then upping the standards in the Fall.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2019, 01:09:47 PM »

It's too far out to have anything that is too restrictive. I think the current plan works for the Summer, before then upping the standards in the Fall.
It is not a good setup if the major candidates physically can not all debate each other because it is oh so important that we include the 20 nobodies polling at 1%. It was supposed to be more fair, but it isn't very helpful to the voters if the real contenders can't directly debate.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2019, 02:33:42 PM »

It is not a good setup if the major candidates physically can not all debate each other because it is oh so important that we include the 20 nobodies polling at 1%. It was supposed to be more fair, but it isn't very helpful to the voters if the real contenders can't directly debate.

I'm certainly not a fan of the debate format as it's currently being held either, but this is a pretty invalid argument considering that the first of multiple much-more-restrictive debates is going to be held 4 & a 1/2 months before the first vote is even cast.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2019, 04:40:25 PM »

This.

I support a lot of those "1% nobodies", but I remember reading a stat somewhere saying that it's estimated that each candidate will get less than 10 minutes to speak given commercials, crowd applause, and moderators talking. That's quite problematic because it's not really a debate, it's more so just a brief speech letting them get a couple of sentences out about who they are and a couple of their policies.  
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2019, 06:27:49 PM »

Booker's debate point is about reparations.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2019, 09:21:44 PM »

The voters should decide who the "real contenders" are, not the DNC. It is an abomination that Moulton, Bullock, and Messam have been excluded. This debate is the first opportunity for voters to get to know who the candidates are and decide who the "real contenders" should be, and 3 (4 if you want to count Gravel) have been denied that chance.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2019, 11:20:19 PM »

Counterpoint: These excluded ones obviously failed with voters if voters weren't willing to donate in the first place, and given how most candidates have gone all in with the whole "no big money" and given how relatively easy it is to go viral, there isn't much excuse left.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2019, 02:55:13 PM »

It's not the DNC's fault Bullock didn't qualify. He took until the last minute to announce, and his appeal is already taken by Biden, O'Rourke, etc.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2019, 03:09:20 PM »

Is there somewhere where I can see a list of exactly what polls were used to qualify? I'd like to take a peak at the crosstabs, but I don't know which polls were excluded or done too early to count/replaced by a newer poll.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2019, 03:39:36 PM »

Which 'gotcha' type questions do you expect to see?

"Show of hands -- do you consider yourself a capitalist?"

A one-term pledge for Sanders and Biden?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2019, 04:52:27 PM »

Which 'gotcha' type questions do you expect to see?

"Show of hands -- do you consider yourself a capitalist?"

A one-term pledge for Sanders and Biden?

'Voting rights for felons' will become a top issue again, no matter how long they spend on it
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2019, 09:09:53 PM »

It's not the DNC's fault Bullock didn't qualify. He took until the last minute to announce, and his appeal is already taken by Biden, O'Rourke, etc.

I'm fine with that argument for a later debate, but all candidates with a real campaign (IE, not the people who are just unknown names on the ballot for the lulz) should get a chance to make their appeal to the people on the national debate stage.

A three-night debate with 8 slots each could have sufficed, and the next debate could have had a stricter standard.
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2019, 08:53:48 AM »

I'm fine with that argument for a later debate, but all candidates with a real campaign (IE, not the people who are just unknown names on the ballot for the lulz) should get a chance to make their appeal to the people on the national debate stage.

A three-night debate with 8 slots each could have sufficed, and the next debate could have had a stricter standard.

The whole reason we have so many randos running is because they thought they could be one of the 20 who made the debate stage. If they had set the initial cap at 24 candidates we'd have 29 running
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2019, 03:43:23 PM »

I think it'd be fair to say if your an officeholder then the qualification are more lenient. Bullock is a bonafide Dem who helped elect & raise $$ for other Dem Govs in his capacity at the DGA. Unlike Yang & Williamson who have done nothing for the party. Moulton pays dues to the DCCC and helped raise millions for Dem vets running in '18. So I think considerations should be made based on commitment to the party.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2019, 10:00:44 PM »

Pete is gonna look awfully short next to Biden it may dampen the whole young/old contrast. Think he might show up in these?

I know this isn't a huge deal, but Biden seems to have shrunk a bit over the years. I'm 5'11" and I am taller than Biden when I've met him by a hair. And I am only a couple inches taller than Pete who is maybe 5'8.5". And he will also be beside Yang who is around that 5'8" mark, too. So Pete won't look short, not like the half a foot height difference between Rubio and the other R's in 2016.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2019, 06:51:32 PM »

I know this isn't a huge deal, but Biden seems to have shrunk a bit over the years. I'm 5'11" and I am taller than Biden when I've met him by a hair. And I am only a couple inches taller than Pete who is maybe 5'8.5". And he will also be beside Yang who is around that 5'8" mark, too. So Pete won't look short, not like the half a foot height difference between Rubio and the other R's in 2016.

It's normal though. As humans get older, our bone density decreases and makes us become slightly shorter overtime. It'll happen to all of us. Trump too, who prides himself on his height.

However, taller candidates do usually perform better in elections...usually (though I am reminded that DeWine beat Cordray last year).
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2019, 08:25:11 PM »

It's normal though. As humans get older, our bone density decreases and makes us become slightly shorter overtime. It'll happen to all of us. Trump too, who prides himself on his height.

However, taller candidates do usually perform better in elections...usually (though I am reminded that DeWine beat Cordray last year).

Women have it a bit easier they can just wear heels to compensate. Harris at 5'2 could wear 4 or 5' inch heels if she could tolerate it and appear an acceptable 5'7.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2019, 09:49:58 PM »

They announced the podium placement for both nights:

Night One:
de Balsio - Ryan - Castro - Booker - Warren - O'Rourke - Klobuchar - Gabbard - Inslee - Delaney

Night Two:
Williamson - Hickenlooper - Yang - Buttigieg - Biden - Sanders - Harris - Gillibrand - Bennet - Swalwell

Source

Pretty cramped stage. Thank God Abrams isn't running. I don't think they could fit in both of her podiums.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2019, 12:33:59 AM »

The whole reason we have so many randos running is because they thought they could be one of the 20 who made the debate stage. If they had set the initial cap at 24 candidates we'd have 29 running

If we had 29 candidates, the voters would deserve the chance to see all 29 of them up on the stage making their case.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies