NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:06:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 80
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 112742 times)
Duke of York

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: August 10, 2021, 11:32:48 AM »

I don't think Hochul can win a Democratic primary.

She like Gillibrand was a moderate upstate Democrat, she is a white woman, The Black base of the Democratic Party will want James or Williams or Sharpton....

Unless Hochul really screws up, I don't really see anyone trying to oust the state's first female gov after only a year.

I think she will have problems with Black voters, white cops/firefighters, etc. Likely D. Zeldin can make it a race now, because he will have EVERY police and fire union on his side

I think she will win by a decent margin. She has a year and a half to introduce herself to voters.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #801 on: August 10, 2021, 11:33:03 AM »

Sharpton, James, Suozzi, even Steve Bellone and Carl McCall are all mentioned as challengers to Hochul...
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #802 on: August 10, 2021, 11:33:32 AM »

As far as primary takes, I think Hochul is the prohibitive favorite at this point and I'm not sure if the optics of James getting in would be great (releasing a report that sinks the Governor just so she can run for Governor?) but maybe I'm wrong.

Could be an absolutely wild ride. This might be the primary to watch for 2022.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #803 on: August 10, 2021, 11:34:11 AM »

She like Gillibrand was a moderate upstate Democrat, she is a white woman, The Black base of the Democratic Party will want James or Williams or Sharpton....

Unless Hochul really screws up, I don't really see anyone trying to oust the state's first female gov after only a year.

I think she will have problems with Black voters, white cops/firefighters, etc. Likely D. Zeldin can make it a race now, because he will have EVERY police and fire union on his side

I think she will win by a decent margin. She has a year and a half to introduce herself to voters.

I think Zeldin can give her a run, he'll lock down EVERY cop in the state and firefighter, even some Black cops, and we know how ruthless police unions are now post-George Floyd...
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #804 on: August 10, 2021, 11:36:20 AM »

Hochul will be the first truly upstate governor in almost exactly 100 years.
She's the first NY governor from Buffalo in 136. Last time the state's most important city won the governor's mansion was Grover Cleveland. Hawaii has had more governors from here in the mean time
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #805 on: August 10, 2021, 11:36:36 AM »

I think Zeldin can give her a run, he'll lock down EVERY cop in the state and firefighter, even some Black cops, and we know how ruthless police unions are now post-George Floyd...

You've said the same thing three times. Move on.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #806 on: August 10, 2021, 11:41:18 AM »

It's the truth.....
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #807 on: August 10, 2021, 11:45:13 AM »

It's the truth.....

It's not though, but okay
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #808 on: August 10, 2021, 11:47:13 AM »

It's the truth.....

It's not though, but okay

It's true, a lot of cops like Xeldin, even Black male ones...
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #809 on: August 10, 2021, 12:25:22 PM »

The same Gillibrand who is still a U.S. Senator today?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #810 on: August 10, 2021, 12:35:06 PM »

With Cuomo's resignation now imminent, this race can be officially moved to Safe D in my eyes.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #811 on: August 10, 2021, 12:50:29 PM »

I've said this in other threads, but perhaps we need this pinned at the top of every thread on the forum: please do not derail legitimate discussion by responding to bronz.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #812 on: August 10, 2021, 12:54:16 PM »

A vacancy in the LG office could very well be an opportunity for Max Rose or Anthony Brindisi to make a comeback, as Hochul did after her half-term. Unlike in their house seats, their only worries would be in a primary.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #813 on: August 10, 2021, 01:00:03 PM »

Unless she screws up big time, Hochul is in a strong position. And I don't think she will, she has broad experience in government and politics, knows how to get stuff done and has won races she was not supposed to win in the first place. She has also built a network of connections around the state and will come into play, and I'm sure Schumer, Gilibrand and the Clintons will endorse her.

We will have to see whether anyone serious actually runs against her in a primary. Maybe a left-winger, but I hardly see James entering since they're from the same party lane. Without serious ideological differences and lack of a scandal, it's hard to formulate an argument why you want to replace an incumbent. That also backfired with Joe Kennedy, although he was younger and more moderate than Markey. As for the general election, she'll easily beat Zeldin or this Giuliani clown. I think she may halt or reverse Democratic losses in the Upstate New York, especially with Schumer also on the ballot.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #814 on: August 10, 2021, 01:07:41 PM »

A vacancy in the LG office could very well be an opportunity for Max Rose or Anthony Brindisi to make a comeback, as Hochul did after her half-term. Unlike in their house seats, their only worries would be in a primary.

dammit, this means Yang is going to go for it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #815 on: August 10, 2021, 01:12:46 PM »

I'd advise Hochul to pick a more progressive lt. governor to widen her appeal. That may even prevent a primary challenge. Maybe even Alessandra Biaggi, although she's not that experienced. But a female duo on the ticket would be interesting and their ideological lanes would be a good balance.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #816 on: August 10, 2021, 01:21:30 PM »

Unless she screws up big time, Hochul is in a strong position. And I don't think she will, she has broad experience in government and politics, knows how to get stuff done and has won races she was not supposed to win in the first place. She has also built a network of connections around the state and will come into play, and I'm sure Schumer, Gilibrand and the Clintons will endorse her.

We will have to see whether anyone serious actually runs against her in a primary. Maybe a left-winger, but I hardly see James entering since they're from the same party lane. Without serious ideological differences and lack of a scandal, it's hard to formulate an argument why you want to replace an incumbent. That also backfired with Joe Kennedy, although he was younger and more moderate than Markey. As for the general election, she'll easily beat Zeldin or this Giuliani clown. I think she may halt or reverse Democratic losses in the Upstate New York, especially with Schumer also on the ballot.

This goes off my response from the last thread, but again while I agree Hochul is in a relatively strong position, it’s hard to see her scaring anyone off in a primary and the establishment is definitely not gonna circle the wagons around her that quickly. Also, you really don’t a strong ideological argument to run a primary challenge and in this case, James could just run on her resume and representational politics – being AG’s given her the chance to boost her normie liberal bona fides (suburban Dem primary voters will love the NRA and Cuomo stuff), the opportunity to be the first black woman governor in the country is a big deal for Democratic voters, and the geography issue really really matters here – imo this more than anything will put her in trouble.  

Fwiw, I also think the incumbency effect is overrated in this case. If the primary’s in June, that’s eight months before the election and unless she gets lucky with a crisis hitting, idk what will be endearing her to NY voters that much.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #817 on: August 10, 2021, 01:23:02 PM »

Lt. Gov. Andrew Yang?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #818 on: August 10, 2021, 01:24:52 PM »

Lt. Gov. Andrew Yang?

Yang can't afford another loss or he'll be labeled a perennial candidate.

The only way he runs again would be if he was the overwhelming establishment favorite and had the backing of the party honchos. Probably for something more minor like State Assembly or the School Board.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #819 on: August 10, 2021, 02:05:35 PM »

Likely D.

I don't think Hochul will be well-received by the Charles Barrons and Al Sharptons of the world. She will need to pick a Black or Latino running mate and not a woman, a man.

Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #820 on: August 10, 2021, 03:19:08 PM »

I'd advise Hochul to pick a more progressive lt. governor to widen her appeal. That may even prevent a primary challenge. Maybe even Alessandra Biaggi, although she's not that experienced. But a female duo on the ticket would be interesting and their ideological lanes would be a good balance.

Biaggi isn't progressive.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #821 on: August 10, 2021, 03:25:26 PM »

Cuomo wanted to be Prez but Hillary got in front of him, good bye Cuomo, Rs arent gonna beat Kathy Houchal
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #822 on: August 10, 2021, 03:36:40 PM »

She was literally endorsed by AOC.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #823 on: August 10, 2021, 04:03:14 PM »

She was literally endorsed by AOC.

Oh, I didn't realize that. My mistake. Looking at her platform, you are correct that she is more progressive than Hochul.
Upstater
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -4.00

P P
« Reply #824 on: August 10, 2021, 04:06:46 PM »

So, is Hochul the first female Governor of New York?

Yes
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies