Where do you stand on the abortion issue?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 10:55:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Where do you stand on the abortion issue?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: What is your stance on abortion?
Pro-choice

Pro-life

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 158

Author Topic: Where do you stand on the abortion issue?  (Read 6387 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2019, 09:22:32 PM »

Pro-Choice, generally don't like abortion but it's not my choice and should be safe, legal and as rare as possibly, but random dudes shouldn't be able to make that decision.

The states that due try to restrict abortion really need to set limitations in the same way on ED medication, or make sure everyone gets vasectomies at a young age as a reverse punishment.

What is a "reverse punishment"?   Is that something from Minority Report?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2019, 10:20:33 PM »

Pro-life. I am surprised by how close the poll is given the forum's leanings.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2019, 10:43:22 PM »

Serious answer: Pro-choice without any reservations. I believe it should be as rare as possible but should always be an option. If it would end the constant debate about it, I'd be fine with restrictions on third trimester abortions.

Meme answer: I'm pro-post birth abortions. Expose babies on hilltops the true SPARTAN way.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2019, 01:47:11 AM »

Pro-choice solidly.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2019, 04:23:11 AM »

Pro-choice with some rather natural (for me at lest) limitations. Bt, surely, not Alabama-style...
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2019, 09:29:53 AM »

Pro-life personally. I believe Roe should be repealed and the power should be given back to the states to decide this.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2019, 12:12:54 PM »

Firmly pro-choice
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2019, 01:40:18 PM »

Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2019, 05:10:27 PM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2019, 06:21:36 PM »

Pro Choice although moving right on the issue due how radical the Democrats have become on the issue.(eg repealing Hyde amendment. I see abortion as a disgusting action that really should only be used in a situation of rape/life.)
Colbert
France

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2019, 06:48:30 PM »

pro-choice, for eugenist (eugenistic?) reasons, but slightly uncomfortable with this question. Technically, this is an obvious murder. But emotionnally, no comparison with the death of a young baby.

My mom had a miscarriage some years ago, and I felt nothing. But I would never says abortion is a moral thing.

By exemple, the feminist stance "my body belongs to me" is false, in this case, because the foetus is not THEIR body.

So, I share argues of pro-life people, but for eugenics, malthusianims and selfishness (I never wanted children), I stand on the pro-choice side, but not with pro-choice people. Hard to explain that clearly.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2019, 01:46:34 AM »

Pro-choice. I'll go a step further and say that anyone who willfully has a child that they know will have serious developmental or physical disabilities in the womb is a very cruel person. I 100% support Iceland's efforts to eradicate Down Syndrome.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2019, 10:44:03 PM »

Pro-choice. I'll go a step further and say that anyone who willfully has a child that they know will have serious developmental or physical disabilities in the womb is a very cruel person. I 100% support Iceland's efforts to eradicate Down Syndrome.

Do you think people who deal with those things would rather not be alive?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2019, 11:56:03 PM »

If they knew any better, they would.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2019, 12:30:48 AM »

ever consider that they might know better than you?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2019, 12:34:54 AM »

ever consider that they might know better than you?

No, and nothing you say will make me do so, so you can stop right there.
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2019, 03:19:37 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2019, 03:24:15 PM by Sozialliberal »

Pro-choice with caveats.

My personal view (largely in line with the current German practice):
  • 1. As a matter of principle, no woman should ever be forced to have an abortion against her will and no gynaecologist should ever be forced to carry out an abortion against their conscience.
  • 2. If a gynaecologist confirms it is highly probable that a pregnant woman will die and the only way to eliminate this risk is the termination of the pregnancy, she may have an abortion at any stage of the pregnancy. To avoid a conflict of interest, the gynaecologist who gives confirmation must not be the same gynaecologist who carries out the abortion.
  • 3. If the pregnancy is the result of a crime such as rape, the pregnant woman may have an abortion within the first 12 weeks of the pregnancy.
  • 4. If a woman wants to have an abortion for any other reason, she must have a one-on-one consultation at a state-approved advisory centre. The job of the consultant is to inform the woman on the medical and legal aspects of an abortion, point out alternatives to an abortion and offer emotional support. The consultant's advice must be neutral and balanced. After the consultation, the woman is given a reflection period of three days. If she then still wants to have an abortion, it may be carried out within the first 12 weeks of the pregnancy.

I must say I'm disgusted by some pro-choice statements that make abortion sound like something wonderful. I view abortion as an evil that is sometimes necessary to prevent even greater evils.

People with Down syndrome can lead fulfilling lives, too.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2019, 04:15:22 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2019, 04:46:56 PM by Tulsi "Both sides" Gabbard »

I used to be more sympathetic to the pro life position, but frankly throwing doctors (and women if we are being consistent) in jail for "murder" is ridiculous, and if you are not willing to go to the insane lengths needed to enforce an abortion ban why bother calling yourself pro life? I never took the notion that personhood and/or ensoulment began at conception seriously so early term abortions don't really bother me. I accept that when a fetus becomes a person is a mystery, but it's definitely not right after childbirth which is why I find it deeply revolting when I see some Democrats defending late term abortion or trying to evade the question by hiding behind fetal abnormalities as an excuse to keep it legal for any reason.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2019, 05:24:44 PM »

if you are not willing to go to the insane lengths needed to enforce an abortion ban why bother calling yourself pro life?

Out of curiosity, would you ask the same question about other moral positions that, even when sincerely held, are notoriously difficult/not-worth-it to implement as policy, like conservative views on drugs or (certain types of) very progressive views on hate speech?

If so, then fine--I disagree, but that's fine--but I did want to ask.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2019, 05:51:56 PM »

pro-choice, for eugenist (eugenistic?) reasons, but slightly uncomfortable with this question. Technically, this is an obvious murder. But emotionnally, no comparison with the death of a young baby.

My mom had a miscarriage some years ago, and I felt nothing. But I would never says abortion is a moral thing.

By exemple, the feminist stance "my body belongs to me" is false, in this case, because the foetus is not THEIR body.

So, I share argues of pro-life people, but for eugenics, malthusianims and selfishness (I never wanted children), I stand on the pro-choice side, but not with pro-choice people. Hard to explain that clearly.

...Are you a real person? WTF?
Cashew
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2019, 06:00:10 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2019, 06:04:48 PM by Tulsi "Both sides" Gabbard »

if you are not willing to go to the insane lengths needed to enforce an abortion ban why bother calling yourself pro life?

Out of curiosity, would you ask the same question about other moral positions that, even when sincerely held, are notoriously difficult/not-worth-it to implement as policy, like conservative views on drugs or (certain types of) very progressive views on hate speech?

If somebody looks down upon an activity but does not favor banning it, that's because a different value takes priority for them. An conservative that looks down on drugs for example that is not in favor of banning them has made a decision to prioritize consequentialism or personal liberty over their own distaste of drugs. I'm not sure how you see it but when it comes to abortion I would prefer it that the terminology lined up with what you favor legislatively rather than beliefs that can't be acted upon (except in your own personal life) because doing so would go against another belief you hold even more dearly.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2019, 08:16:43 PM »

If somebody looks down upon an activity but does not favor banning it, that's because a different value takes priority for them. An conservative that looks down on drugs for example that is not in favor of banning them has made a decision to prioritize consequentialism or personal liberty over their own distaste of drugs. I'm not sure how you see it but when it comes to abortion I would prefer it that the terminology lined up with what you favor legislatively rather than beliefs that can't be acted upon (except in your own personal life) because doing so would go against another belief you hold even more dearly.

To some extent I agree, but there are a lot of other ways to act upon something rather than legislatively, especially in coalition with other people in society, and sometimes these other ways can be even more effective.   
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2019, 12:45:36 AM »

I personally would not encourage anyone to get an abortion, unless it is for lifesaving purposes.

However, I don't think officially outlawing abortion is the most effective way to reduce its prevalence. I think that there would be a spike in back-alley abortions under that scenario.

Instead, I believe that if people are given economic incentives to carry their fetuses to term (since it appears that most people who do get abortions are doing so for economic reasons), and they are properly educated about sexual activity, then the prevalence of abortions will decrease even without officially outlawing it.
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2019, 02:02:15 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2019, 02:09:18 AM by RFayette »

I am pro-life (with obvious life-of-the-mother exception; rape is a difficult case IMO as it depends on how broadly one defines self-defense), but I can definitely sympathize with Cashew's comment about the consistency of pro-lifers in terms of willingness to effectively ban abortion and follow through with treating it as murder legally.  

If abortion is murder, then the most consistent punishment would be life without parole imprisonment on the charge of 1st degree murder for both the mother and the doctor who performs the abortion.  This does seem extraordinarily harsh to me and I couldn't see myself ever supporting that.  Some pro-choice advocates, like Dr. David Boonin, have argued that this inconsistency is evidence the pro-life position is false, though a staunch pro-lifer could say that we have become desensitized to the wrongness of abortion and this is why we are uncomfortable with such harsh punishments.  Nonetheless, it is very difficult for me to wrap my mind around 1/4 of women in the US having committed an offense that legally merits never being able to step out of a prison.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2019, 02:16:18 AM »

Solid pro-choice.

It's not up to me to tell women what to do with their bodies. Abortion should be a last resort, but be legal and not depend on someones zip code or income.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies