Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:36:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 64
Author Topic: Hotter, Badder, and Unpopularer Takes  (Read 94498 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: February 12, 2020, 11:01:13 PM »

Anti-SWJ YouTube has a hardon for Pinochet that never gets addressed
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #851 on: February 13, 2020, 09:32:21 PM »

most recruitment to the alt-right is ultimately a function of the Streisand Effect.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #852 on: February 13, 2020, 09:51:16 PM »

most recruitment to the alt-right is ultimately a function of the Streisand Effect.

Agreed - as well as normalfag high schoolers (who have no memory of the internet in 2006-2009) discovering 4chan and the now-defunct 8chan.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #853 on: February 14, 2020, 03:07:51 PM »

The beliefs that climate change/unsustainable crony capitalism will unleash massive global instability and, that sizable defense cuts are a good idea are inherently contradictory.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #854 on: February 14, 2020, 06:04:14 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2020, 09:19:40 AM by Cath »

The beliefs that climate change/unsustainable crony capitalism will unleash massive global instability and, that sizable defense cuts are a good idea are inherently contradictory.

Luckily, True Conservatives, like me, only believe the latter former.

EDIT: Can’t believe I screwed up “former” and “latter”.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #855 on: February 15, 2020, 10:03:47 PM »

I’m a Palestinian nationalist in that I believe in the rights of sovereignty for the Palestinian people, excepting the territories internationally recognized as Israel’s, and I’m a Zionist in that I believe in the rights of sovereignty for the Israeli people, excepting the internationally recognized Palestinian territories of Gaza and the West Bank.
(#moderatehero, doesn’t think we should be racist against Israelis or Palestinians)
BP🌹
BP1202
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -9.13, S: -6.00

« Reply #856 on: February 15, 2020, 11:53:18 PM »

I’m a Palestinian nationalist in that I believe in the rights of sovereignty for the Palestinian people, excepting the territories internationally recognized as Israel’s, and I’m a Zionist in that I believe in the rights of sovereignty for the Israeli people, excepting the internationally recognized Palestinian territories of Gaza and the West Bank.
(#moderatehero, doesn’t think we should be racist against Israelis or Palestinians)
A two-state solution isn't incompatible with Palestinian nationalism, but do you support the right of return for refugees?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #857 on: February 16, 2020, 12:49:41 AM »

A two-state solution isn't incompatible with Palestinian nationalism, but do you support the right of return for refugees?
Let me be clear: The Israeli settlements ought to fall under Palestinian jurisdiction, and any and all settlers who wish to leave ought to be compensated. Palestinians also ought to be compensated, but if right of return means a right to kick out the people who replaced them, no. Jewish settlers can live under a Palestinian government and Palestinians who wish to can live under Israel’s government.

I wish also to say: I have great respect for Hanan Ashrawi and Salam Fayyad. If the rest of the Palestinian leadership was like them, I am sure the conflict would go away quickly.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #858 on: February 16, 2020, 12:52:23 AM »

I guess that would depend on whether the military spending is geared toward the sorts of challenges we are likely to face over climate change.

My own unpopular take is that in order to mitigate and respond to climate change, we may need to become comfortable with a greater level of fiscal austerity, as the sort of economic growth required to fund high amounts of spending may prove either unobtainable or ecologically unsustainable.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #859 on: February 16, 2020, 01:04:51 PM »

New age atheism like Dawkins, Harris, the late Hitchens, Bill Maher, etc.. seem to becoming an increasingly right wing reactionary group in this day and age as opposed to the liberals they were branded as in the 2000s

Sheesh I called that one
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #860 on: February 16, 2020, 04:58:05 PM »

New age atheism like Dawkins, Harris, the late Hitchens, Bill Maher, etc.. seem to becoming an increasingly right wing reactionary group in this day and age as opposed to the liberals they were branded as in the 2000s

Sheesh I called that one
I would exempt Harris from that group - his criticisms of my religion, at least, are so weak as to be considered nonsense. What’s more, I’ve never seen him display the virulent hostility that the others seem to radiate.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #861 on: February 16, 2020, 05:08:36 PM »

Sheesh I called that one
I would exempt Harris from that group - his criticisms of my religion, at least, are so weak as to be considered nonsense. What’s more, I’ve never seen him display the virulent hostility that the others seem to radiate.
Yeah but he has also dabbled in eugenics as well. He has legitimately discussed the bell curve on his show (and in a positive light btw)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #862 on: February 17, 2020, 07:57:17 AM »

Bush did 9/11
BP🌹
BP1202

Political Matrix

« Reply #863 on: February 18, 2020, 11:41:27 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2020, 11:47:22 PM by Neoliberalism is Evil »

The idea that anti-Zionism is inherently antisemitic because it means that Jews should be the only people in the world without a state is incredibly dumb because actually, most ethnic groups are stateless, and they're not entitled to one either.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #864 on: February 19, 2020, 02:33:19 AM »

The idea that anti-Zionism is inherently antisemitic because it means that Jews should be the only people in the world without a state is incredibly dumb because actually, most ethnic groups are stateless, and they're not entitled to one either.

Ideally, all minority ethnic groups would have states. If you think it doesn't matter whether or not an ethnicity is stateless, look at the fate of the Kurds and ask yourself if the same thing would've happened if they'd had a Kurdish state and Kurdish institutions on their side. Maybe things would be going similarly but it at least would've been a fairer fight.
BP🌹
BP1202

Political Matrix

« Reply #865 on: February 19, 2020, 02:18:23 PM »

Ideally, all minority ethnic groups would have states. If you think it doesn't matter whether or not an ethnicity is stateless, look at the fate of the Kurds and ask yourself if the same thing would've happened if they'd had a Kurdish state and Kurdish institutions on their side. Maybe things would be going similarly but it at least would've been a fairer fight.
Full Kurdish independence sounds nice, but I think that it would end badly. I'm against Balkanization in general.

A better comparison would be the Roma, who are in a similar situation as Jews were (dispersed, not a majority in any place, and a long history of persecution). I wouldn't support them setting up a colony somewhere and oppressing the indigenous people.

Of course, we should do away with nation-states entirely.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #866 on: February 20, 2020, 01:03:13 AM »

Prince of Egypt (1998) is a criminally underrated animated film
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #867 on: February 20, 2020, 01:27:00 AM »

Full Kurdish independence sounds nice, but I think that it would end badly. I'm against Balkanization in general.

A better comparison would be the Roma, who are in a similar situation as Jews were (dispersed, not a majority in any place, and a long history of persecution). I wouldn't support them setting up a colony somewhere and oppressing the indigenous people.

Do away with them? The nation-state is the best guarantor of liberty in the modern world. I know you probably live in a fantasy land of international cooperation among workers or whatever, but the truth is that humans are not good at empathizing with one another across cultures, ethnic groups, and especially language barriers. So long as these differences exist, we're better off atomized. If the alternative is some sort of worker's collective or unified world government, then Balkanization is dank.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #868 on: February 20, 2020, 01:55:14 PM »

Do away with them? The nation-state is the best guarantor of liberty in the modern world. I know you probably live in a fantasy land of international cooperation among workers or whatever, but the truth is that humans are not good at empathizing with one another across cultures, ethnic groups, and especially language barriers. So long as these differences exist, we're better off atomized. If the alternative is some sort of worker's collective or unified world government, then Balkanization is dank.

Nation-statehood is an fundamentally Industrial idea that won't survive a global post-industrial realignment.  In a neoliberal economy where global capitalists have the ability relocate investment across oceans with a simple click of the mouse, nation-states are losing relevancy faster than VCRs.   
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #869 on: February 20, 2020, 02:11:12 PM »

I support corporatist world government headquartered in Davos.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #870 on: February 20, 2020, 04:38:40 PM »

The Two Towers is the best LOTR film
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #871 on: February 20, 2020, 04:48:03 PM »

These are pretty common opinions...
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #872 on: February 20, 2020, 04:54:23 PM »

Cheesecake is disgusting and it makes me gag. 
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #873 on: February 20, 2020, 05:05:29 PM »

These are pretty common opinions...
I’m not sure about the prince of Egypt one though. That film never seems to get talked about
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #874 on: February 20, 2020, 06:07:20 PM »

Nation-statehood is an fundamentally Industrial idea that won't survive a global post-industrial realignment.  In a neoliberal economy where global capitalists have the ability relocate investment across oceans with a simple click of the mouse, nation-states are losing relevancy faster than VCRs.   

Elites from different cultures have always sold their people out to enrich themselves. That's nothing new. And the flow of global capital is not going to make the average Arab Muslim feel any differently about the average Israeli Jew. The neoliberal notion that trade is going to somehow knit the world together is a Fukuyamaist fiction that has no basis in reality. Yes, someday nation-states will start to disintegrate, but we are not living through that time and it will not happen in our lives or even the lives of our grandchildren.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 64  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies