Shooting At Synagogue in San Diego, Very Early Breaking Reports
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 12:57:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Shooting At Synagogue in San Diego, Very Early Breaking Reports
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Shooting At Synagogue in San Diego, Very Early Breaking Reports  (Read 4093 times)
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2019, 08:05:20 PM »

Allegedly written by the suspect:

(No, PewDiePie has nothing to do with this, in case that needs to be cleared up.)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »

(No, PewDiePie has nothing to do with this, in case that needs to be cleared up.)
This might be insensitive timing, but I honestly have NO IDEA what a "glow n_____" is or what the specific meaning of that term is. Can anybody help me here?
TWTown
GhostOfHuey
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »

I think it means either the FBI or the CIA or both?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2019, 08:11:42 PM »

This might be insensitive timing, but I honestly have NO IDEA what a "glow n_____" is or what the specific meaning of that term is. Can anybody help me here?

An intelligence officer who posts bait on forums and image boards to entrap people, usually pedophiles.  Generally not terrorists.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2019, 02:25:43 AM »

The blindness of some people to the connections between Trump and these sorts of attacks has not yet ceased to amaze me at all.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2019, 02:49:16 AM »

Fox News anchor asks a member of the Tree of Life synagogue congregation what's causing the rise in antisemitic attacks.  He tells him the obvious answer.  Fox immediately cuts to commercial.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2019, 07:00:52 AM »

This hits home. Chabad greatly helped me, as a kid who, back then, was a Jew in name only and had never even entered a synagogue until age 18-19, in learning the basics of Judaism and, perhaps more importantly, by welcoming me at shabbat dinners every week, where I really felt the "spirit" of Judaism for the first time. I have my issues with their theology, but they're an organization doing incredibly important work. And they're all about welcoming people from all strands of life, embracing them, and drawing them closer to Judaism. My own synagogue, that I have attended for five years now and where I feel most at home, is indirectly affiliated with Chabad.

Ever since the attacks in Paris and Copenhagen, the thought of terrorists entering my shul to shoot us has crossed my mind a lot of times while praying there. I'm incredibly grateful for the military police presence in front of the building every time. I think it is a matter of time until something similar happens in Europe. There's tons of young guys who subscribe to the sort of thinking prevalent in the shooter's manifesto, in the U.S. as well as here.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2019, 08:07:25 AM »

I am about half German and Swiss, with no known Jewish ancestry. If I had the choice between being a Nazi or a Jew, I would find the choice easy -- as a Jew I would be able to maintain my culture and my morals. As a Nazi I would have to abandon any recognition of legitimate achievements of Jews in science, enterprise, and creativity -- and accept what may have been the most immoral set of beliefs that any could ever have.

I recognize Judaism as a religion (whether Orthodox, Conservative, or Reform) as pure morality. As one rabbi put it, "Jesus said some very good things. None of them was new".  So Jews don't need Jesus. I understand. Considering what much of the pagan world of the Roman era was, maybe most gentiles of the time needed Jesus.

Someone proud only of his ethnicity as a concept of human purity has nothing worthy to defend. Ethnic costumes, music, or celebrations? No problem. I don't have to be Polish to appreciate Polish folk music. The struggle for social equity? Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is one of my heroes.

As for America -- Jews have made America much of what it is. Without the Jews, our theater would be the arcane theater of Shakespeare -- or opera, neither of which have mass audiences. Jews brought their Yiddish theater and Americanized it  by performing in English. Jews practically created Hollywood in its Golden Age -- and to this day one can watch practically anything from that era (the Jews set the ethical standards for cinematic content, including a rejection of any ridicule of any religion of any kind) without feeling soiled. Excellent Jewish scientists, many of them refugees from fascist Europe, got America super-weapons that the Nazis could only dream of. Jews were far out of proportion to their numbers among non-blacks in the struggle for civil rights for Southern  blacks.

No, Jews are not above judgment. Judaism is a religion of morality, and it allows Jews to condemn evil behavior by a Jew. If I have a criticism of Lansky, Madoff, or Netanyahu, then it is for failing to meet the high ethical standards of Judaism. But don't ask me to defend John Dillinger or the Barrow-Parker gang, either -- let alone the worst gangsters of all time. The Sicilian Mafia and the Russian Mafiya can't match the evil of the worst criminal syndicate of all time, the German Nazi Party.   

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2019, 08:50:29 AM »

No, Jews are not above judgment. Judaism is a religion of morality, and it allows Jews to condemn evil behavior by a Jew. If I have a criticism of Lansky, Madoff, or Netanyahu, then it is for failing to meet the high ethical standards of Judaism. But don't ask me to defend John Dillinger or the Barrow-Parker gang, either -- let alone the worst gangsters of all time. The Sicilian Mafia and the Russian Mafiya can't match the evil of the worst criminal syndicate of all time, the German Nazi Party.    
Don't do this. It's well-intended, but a double standard too. Judge them not on the basis of the standards of (your idea of) Judaism, but on the basis of the standards that you would use for everyone.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2019, 02:54:29 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2019, 04:21:53 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Fox News anchor asks a member of the Tree of Life synagogue congregation what's causing the rise in antisemitic attacks.  He tells him the obvious answer.  Fox immediately cuts to commercial.

Wow, just wow.
When you said that "Fox immediately cuts to commercial," I thought they were going to "politely" cut-him-off, telling him they need to go to commercials, and will be right-back to continue the discussion.
But that's not what happens when you watch the video. They literally "pulled-the-plug" during the airing, and the next thing you suddenly see is a commercial.
One would think that something like this could only happen in North Korea or Russia ... not the US.

God forbid the cultist, Faux News viewership hear anything negative (and truthful) about their Orange Deity.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2019, 03:18:49 PM »

The Left: [blames Trump for anti-Semitism in America]
Also the Left: [defends rabid anti-Semites in elected office in their own party - "She did nothing wrong."]
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2019, 03:23:44 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2019, 03:27:03 PM by King TChenka »

Also the Left: [defends rabid anti-Semites in elected office in their own party - "She did nothing wrong."]

Many on the left refuse to defend Omar, and those of us that defend her believe that - based on the logic, evidence, facts - she is not an anti-semite. You already knew that though.

What's hilarious is that if conservatives were automatically called prejudiced for criticizing Obama, they would be furious. Yet when Omar attacks Netanyahu, conservatives say she MUST be prejudiced. Logic and reasoning don't work one way for you and the opposite way for your political opponents. That's anti-intellectualism and can sometimes lead to cultism.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2019, 03:40:01 PM »

What's hilarious is that if conservatives were automatically called prejudiced for criticizing Obama, they would be furious. Yet when Omar attacks Netanyahu, conservatives say she MUST be prejudiced. 

They actually were automatically called prejudiced for criticizing Obama. And Omar's comments have not been limited to Netanyahu, you know this.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2019, 04:00:27 PM »

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2019, 04:04:22 PM »

Can some posters here stop being disingenuous and focus on the events at least tangentially related to the shooting? Is it even possible for some of them?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2019, 06:43:43 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2019, 01:54:33 PM by NYGurl »

Don't do this. It's well-intended, but a double standard too. Judge them not on the basis of the standards of (your idea of) Judaism, but on the basis of the standards that you would use for everyone.

Ummm do you know DavidB?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2019, 09:01:13 PM »

OK. The standards of human goodness are much the same across culture and religious traditions. A sort of Darwinian selection applies: depraved societies tend to lose catastrophic wars and to disintegrate (think of the impressive Roman and Russian Empires and the Soviet Union), and the good ones survive (or at least revive seemingly naturally following some overwhelming disaster).

Meyer Lansky, Bernie Madoff, John Dillinger, "Bonnie  and Clyde", Alton Coleman, and numerous mobsters are evil under any ethical creed that I know.

It is manifestly wrong to murder, steal, perjure oneself, make fraudulent oaths, break families through adultery, betray one's benign parents, and work people to exhaustion. (I might add rape, enslavement, messing with children, and abandoning the elderly and poor -- but so would just about everyone else today).

Right and wrong are not so because some prophet says so. They are so because Good serves humanity and evil degrades life.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2019, 09:47:01 PM »

Was trying to own libs in a thread about people getting shot and murdered in a place of worship really constructive or necessary?

Also: do not respond because I do not care what your answer is.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2019, 09:48:35 PM »

Was trying to own libs in a thread about people getting shot and murdered in a place of worship really constructive or necessary?

Get back to me when you show some consistency and go after the people making this about Trump.

Take your fake outrage elsewhere.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2019, 09:50:01 PM »

Get back to me when you show some consistency and go after the people making this about Trump.

fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2019, 09:54:49 PM »

No one's making you read or reply, sweetheart.

Don't get mad because you lack consistency.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2019, 10:17:04 PM »

Can some posters here stop being disingenuous and focus on the events at least tangentially related to the shooting? Is it even possible for some of them?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2019, 10:29:42 PM »

God forbid the cultist, Faux News viewership hear anything negative (and truthful) about their Orange Deity.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2019, 10:36:20 PM »

HoneyBaby,
That was a comment directly related to the Faux News video, which dealt with the shooting.
So get back to me/us when you have something valid to post about the actual topic of the thread.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2019, 10:42:10 PM »

HoneyBaby,
That was a comment directly related to the Faux News video, which dealt with the shooting.
So get back to me/us when you have something valid to post about the actual topic of the thread.

Last I checked, Trump never shot anyone in a synagogue, nor has he ever advocated shooting people on a synagogue.

Your unhealthy obsession with Trump isn't relevant to the actual topic of this thread.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies