Murtha (D-PA) calls for immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 10:10:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Murtha (D-PA) calls for immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Murtha (D-PA) calls for immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq.  (Read 6869 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2005, 09:25:33 AM »

I'm tired of Dems talking out of their ass, talking to what's popular to hear today.

You think what Murtha said will be popular? I would say quite the opposite.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2005, 10:03:30 AM »

Idiot.

Not only is that ridiculously stupid in terms of foreign policy, for innumerable reasons, it's only stupid politically.  Americans are not ones to pull out, at least not yet.  And saying that we should pull out immediately will not help us come November.

Couldn't agree more.

And you can add me to the list of Democrats who disagree with Murtha calling for an immediate withdrawal from Iraq. It would be (yes, you've guessed it Wink ) feckless Roll Eyes

Dave
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2005, 11:00:17 AM »

I'm tired of Dems talking out of their ass, talking to what's popular to hear today.

What planet are you living on?  Have you seen any poll numbers in the last year on this issue?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2005, 11:02:05 AM »

What planet are you living on?  Have you seen any poll numbers in the last year on this issue?

Most people do not support a complete troop pullout in the coming months.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2005, 11:23:28 AM »

That is correct. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2005, 12:04:34 PM »

Idiot.

Not only is that ridiculously stupid in terms of foreign policy, for innumerable reasons, it's only stupid politically.  Americans are not ones to pull out, at least not yet.  And saying that we should pull out immediately will not help us come November.

Couldn't agree more.

And you can add me to the list of Democrats who disagree with Murtha calling for an immediate withdrawal from Iraq. It would be (yes, you've guessed it Wink ) feckless Roll Eyes

Dave

My particular point is that Murtha has, literally for decades, been a party man.  He is not an independent thinker and was a close crony of Tip O'Neill.  Here, he's doing what the leadership tells to do.

A timetable is possibly the worst idea imaginable and would imperil US troops.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2005, 12:21:11 PM »

Even though it's impractical and bad foreign policy, I do think that Murtha may have touched upon the feelings of a lot of initial supporters of the Iraq War. I've heard similar thoughts in private from many Republican supporters, that is people who routinely vote R, but have little other political activity. These Republican voters are returning to their position of the 1990's - no nation building by the US, let the locals do the work with some financial and expert support from the US.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2005, 12:44:29 PM »

Idiot.

Not only is that ridiculously stupid in terms of foreign policy, for innumerable reasons, it's only stupid politically.  Americans are not ones to pull out, at least not yet.  And saying that we should pull out immediately will not help us come November.

Couldn't agree more.

Dave

My particular point is that Murtha has, literally for decades, been a party man.  He is not an independent thinker and was a close crony of Tip O'Neill.  Here, he's doing what the leadership tells to do.

A timetable is possibly the worst idea imaginable and would imperil US troops.

If that's true, then we can expect a chorus of Democrats to join in calling for a cut and run.  This would be a mistake for the Democrats.  Murtha went too far in calling for immediate withdrawal.  A majority of Americans now think the invasion was a mistake, but Murtha has confused this with the small minority that thinks cut and run is the answer.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2005, 12:46:15 PM »

That is correct. 

In more general terms, however, sentiment against the Iraq War are running very high.  Murtha risks nothing by doing this, unless the media acctually took the drastic step of reporting all the good things that are going on over there.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2005, 01:22:03 PM »

That is correct. 

In more general terms, however, sentiment against the Iraq War are running very high.  Murtha risks nothing by doing this, unless the media acctually took the drastic step of reporting all the good things that are going on over there.

Murtha is in no danger, but others are.  The media should be asking every Democrat whether or not they think Murtha is right.  It's a question with no good answer.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2005, 01:26:26 PM »

Mutha's now shifting emphasis somewhat.  He's now talking about a withdrawl, with the troops going back in, "if needed."
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2005, 01:29:15 PM »

Mutha's now shifting emphasis somewhat.  He's now talking about a withdrawl, with the troops going back in, "if needed."

Fantastic idea.  First, we'll have a massacre when we suddenly pull out.  Then, we'll take extra casualties when we go back in and fight an entrenched enemy.  Oh, and on top of it all, we'll have the tremendous expenses of airlifting 150,000 troops and all their equipment back and forth.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2005, 02:53:46 PM »

Mutha's now shifting emphasis somewhat.  He's now talking about a withdrawal, with the troops going back in, "if needed."

Fantastic idea.  First, we'll have a massacre when we suddenly pull out.  Then, we'll take extra casualties when we go back in and fight an entrenched enemy.  Oh, and on top of it all, we'll have the tremendous expenses of airlifting 150,000 troops and all their equipment back and forth.

He might be one of the reasons we lost Vietnam.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2005, 03:46:43 PM »

I'm changing my avatar to green for about a week since this  move is so stupid. My God, Dems, LEAD!

A congressman from Pennsylvania can't have his own opinion?

I personally support a flexible timeline with conditions being met along the way (like Senator Feingold's plan).

I assume you support the "stay the course" strategy?

I support setting a reasonable timeline to get out. I wish we weren't there but we are. To pull out unconditionally right now would be a disaster for the people whose govt we took down. I am not happy w/ the mess, but we made it. We need to help clean up.

I never changed my avatar color. Seemed like a good reason. I'm tired of Dems talking out of their ass, talking to what's popular to hear today. Don't criticize w/o a decent plan. It's not Feb 2003 anymore.

Getting the hell out is a plan. A nuanced plan would require a nuanced person, and not a terrorist warmonger to be President. Figure out which is which from the 2004 election.

Maybe you'd prefer George "I will crawl on my knees to VIetnam and ask for peace." McGovern. That's not nuanced. And how did that play with the electorate? I'd prefer we don't return to the days of 1972 and 1984.

Again, we're not in Feb 2003 anymore. A Democratically controlled senate gave him the green light to go. To pretend we haven't impacted the region is irresponsible. I want to fix what this miserable President has done, not pretend it hasn't happened or hurt America and the world. Many vocal Democrats seem to simply want to blame and erase. Not enough!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2005, 04:31:52 PM »

Just an update from my Gov class - What is believed to be a record of seven kids picked the same person for either hero or hack today. Yep, it was John Murtha. One person made him a hero and the remaining six made him a hack.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2005, 05:21:12 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2005, 05:23:12 PM by Blue Rectangle »

Murtha is in no danger, but others are.  The media should be asking every Democrat whether or not they think Murtha is right.  It's a question with no good answer.

Even better than waiting for the media to ask the tough questions:
Republicans seek vote on Iraq withdrawal proposal

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now if only Boxer would be dumb enough to introduce a similar resolution in the Senate...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2005, 05:31:07 PM »

One of the troops in the field sent a message from one of the troops in the field just sent a message for his representative in Ohio.  It was, "Cowards cut and run, Marines never do."
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2005, 05:34:57 PM »

A Democrat just tried to withdraw the resolution.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2005, 05:35:26 PM »

Alright! Murtha is gaining some sense! (^.^)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2005, 05:38:59 PM »

It wasn't Murtha.  This is the Republican version of "put up or shut."  The Democrats in the House are attempting to pull out.

Jack Murtha just proved that after being in the House for 31 years, he can still be an ass.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2005, 06:08:25 PM »

It wasn't Murtha.  This is the Republican version of "put up or shut."  The Democrats in the House are attempting to pull out.

Jack Murtha just proved that after being in the House for 31 years, he can still be an ass.

Knowing SoS, I don't think he was saying the withdrawal of the resolution indiciated Murtha had sense, he was saying the introduction of the resolution to withdraw made sense.

Btw, does anyone know what kind of presence defense industry has in Murtha's district?  Is it a big job creator?
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2005, 06:15:13 PM »

An immediate withdrawl would be anything but sensable.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2005, 06:24:27 PM »

Brilliant politicking.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2005, 06:37:25 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2005, 09:37:14 PM by J. J. »

Knowing SoS, I don't think he was saying the withdrawal of the resolution indiciated Murtha had sense, he was saying the introduction of the resolution to withdraw made sense.

Btw, does anyone know what kind of presence defense industry has in Murtha's district?  Is it a big job creator?

Yes, there are some, that, in all fairness, he helped attract.  The many employees in Johnstown are hospitals.  A lot of ex-military and very few Muslims.

He actually was not historically, the most pro defense Democrat from that area; Don Bailey (D-23) was.  (I am really dating myself there.)
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2005, 09:25:42 PM »

thank you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies