Murtha (D-PA) calls for immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 10:27:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Murtha (D-PA) calls for immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Murtha (D-PA) calls for immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq.  (Read 6870 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2005, 02:50:06 PM »

Video of the speech:

In another sign of rising discontent in Congress over the war in Iraq, perhaps the House's most influential Democrat on military issues called today for the immediate withdrawal of all American forces from that nation.

"The U.S. cannot accomplish anything further in Iraq militarily. It is time to bring them home," said Rep. John Murtha of Pennsylvania, a former Marine intelligence officer in Vietnam and the senior Democrat on the House appropriations subcommittee that oversees military spending.

"The war in Iraq is not going as advertised,'' said Murtha, who in October 2002 voted for the resolution authorizing President Bush to take military action to oust Saddam Hussein. "It's a flawed policy wrapped in illusion. The American public is way ahead of the members of Congress.''
<snip>

Murtha, who retired as a reserve lieutenant colonel in 1994 after he had already served 20 years in the House, said the war had sapped the Army's strength, threatened its ability to meet other threats and ballooned the federal budget deficit.
<snip>

The latest report made for disheartening reading, Murtha said, and convinced him that the U.S. presence in Iraq is fueling the insurgency, not helping to pacify the country. Oil production is still below pre-war levels. Much of the appropriated reconstruction money can't be spent because of the poor security situation. Unemployment is estimated at 60 percent, he said.

Most importantly for Murtha, the number of insurgent attacks is running at 700 a week, up from about 150 a year ago, and casualties continue, with more than 2,000 Americans killed and almost 16,000 wounded.

"We cannot continue on the present course. It is evident that continued military action in Iraq is not in the best interest of the United States of America, the Iraqi people or the Persian Gulf region,'' said Murtha, who every week visits wounded service personnel at Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington or at the Bethesda naval hospital in suburban Maryland.

Link
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 02:50:40 PM »

I made him my "Hack of the week" for my AP Gov class for this move.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 02:51:18 PM »

Have I ever got that honor?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 02:53:04 PM »

It's for people in the political spotlight. What goes on here doesn't count as being politically noticeable. Please stop flattering yourself.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 02:54:43 PM »

How safe is he in his district?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 02:55:13 PM »

Very safe. He's pretty much unbeatable but when he retires the seat is likely to flip.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 02:55:17 PM »

It's for people in the political spotlight. What goes on here doesn't count as being politically noticeable. Please stop flattering yourself.

I remember Demoteen telling me once I got "hack" for my anti-Santorum thing.  You know the one where I drew a moustache.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 02:56:31 PM »

Very safe. He's pretty much unbeatable but when he retires the seat is likely to flip.

If a conservative Dem like him is the nominee, which is likely, the seat will be safe.  I know I would probably lose unless the GOPer was extreme.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 02:58:11 PM »

I remember Demoteen telling me once I got "hack" for my anti-Santorum thing.  You know the one where I drew a moustache.

It's amazing how much of a liar that kid is. Seriously. What we do is we find someone in the news and give a reason why they are a hero or a hack. We then put their picture on the hero or hack door of the classroom. I didn't have Gov last year so there was no way I could hack you for it. Our pal DMK169 had the class last year but I know he didn't hack you. Demoteen really does have a lying problem. PM me if you have any other questions.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 02:59:43 PM »

If a conservative Dem like him is the nominee, which is likely, the seat will be safe.  I know I would probably lose unless the GOPer was extreme.

You would stand no chance in that district. Your social stances would kill your campaign before it would even begin. This is why you are a hack. You would not "probably" lose. You'd be done in the beginning.

And the Dems don't really have anyone to run out there. That is why they are always talking about a Murtha retirement and how they don't want it anytime soon.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 03:03:09 PM »

He's pretty safe, so he can take the "high road" and call for the withdrawal on behalf of his party.  It will, of course, have no effect except for to steal some media time away from the recent Bush/Cheney back-bone stances against the critics.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 03:05:33 PM »

You would stand no chance in that district. Your social stances would kill your campaign before it would even begin. This is why you are a hack. You would not "probably" lose. You'd be done in the beginning.

And the Dems don't really have anyone to run out there. That is why they are always talking about a Murtha retirement and how they don't want it anytime soon.

The district was drawn SPECIFICALLY for a Dem to win.  Mind you I am fully aware it is a conservative Dem district, but nonetheless a Dem district.  A supersoulty or even a Jake type GOPer would definitely beat me and a StatesRights' type would be a nailbiter.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 06:41:06 PM »

Ah, let's be blunt.  Murtha was a close ally of Tip O'Neill; he's a traditionally big labor, but conservative Democrat.  His district however, went for Bush in 2004 and possibly 2000 as well.

He's safe, but there is no GOP farm team out there to challenge him.  He's also been in the House for 31 years (and in the state house before that).  He still has the Vietnam mentality and hasn't realized the world has changed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 07:13:55 PM »

Ah, let's be blunt.  Murtha was a close ally of Tip O'Neill; he's a traditionally big labor, but conservative Democrat.  His district however, went for Bush in 2004 and possibly 2000 as well.

He's safe, but there is no GOP farm team out there to challenge him.  He's also been in the House for 31 years (and in the state house before that).  He still has the Vietnam mentality and hasn't realized the world has changed.

The GOP will be ready when he retires. It's already spoken of as a GOP pickup when he is done (just like PA 17 when Holden is done).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 07:15:20 PM »

The GOP will be ready when he retires. It's already spoken of as a GOP pickup when he is done (just like PA 17 when Holden is done).

So long as it isn't me.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 07:19:59 PM »

Murtha is a fat, senile, old hack.  Sorry, I don't have anything "constructive" to say, but that is the truth.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 07:21:40 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2005, 07:26:09 PM by nickshep democRAT »

Murtha is a fat, senile, old hack.  Sorry, I don't have anything "constructive" to say, but that is the truth.

Nice to see you support your country's veterans.  Your a real class act.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 07:26:11 PM »

Nice to see you support your country's veterans.  Your a class act.

I think some of your pals had worse things to say about veteran Zell Miller but for some reason that stuff was acceptable and actually encouraged.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 07:30:21 PM »

What Murtha did took a lot of guts. He will now be relentlessly attacked by the Bush adminstration and the right-wing pundits on TV and radio.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 07:58:17 PM »

I think some of your pals had worse things to say about veteran Zell Miller but for some reason that stuff was acceptable and actually encouraged.

My pals? 

Ive never said those things were acceptable and I know for a fact Ive never said a bad thing about Zell Miller.  Ive actually praised Governor Zell Miller.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 07:59:22 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2005, 08:05:14 PM by nickshep democRAT »

I dont care if your far left or far right.  If you served in the U.S. military, you deserve a certain degree of respect.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 08:00:30 PM »

My pals? 

Ive never said those things were acceptable and I know for a fact Ive never said a bad thing about Zell Miller.  Ive actually praised Governor Zell Miller.

Your pals in the Democratic party. I don't think you've called them "class acts" with noted sarcasm when they've said certain things about his actions at the GOP convention.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 08:02:18 PM »

I dont care if your far left or far right.  If you served in the military, you deserve a certain degree of respect.

Heil Hitler
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2005, 08:04:23 PM »

I dont care if your far left or far right.  If you served, you deserve a certain degree of respect.
You are certainly entitled to that opinion. However, I do not necessarily agree.

People who previously served in the military often have flawed, even asinine ideas. Veterans are not gods: they have imperfections, just like any other people. If someone wants to criticize a veteran, then he should be free to do so. The mere fact that one has served in the army should not insulate one from criticism.

There are obviously cases which can cross the line. For example, questioning a veteran's patriotism is generally a very bad idea. However, calling one a "hack" is completely legitimate.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2005, 08:06:54 PM »

I dont care if your far left or far right.  If you served in the military, you deserve a certain degree of respect.

Heil Hitler

I was refering to the U.S. military.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies