Canada General Discussion (2019-) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:42:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-) (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 188882 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2021, 10:04:05 AM »
« edited: December 14, 2021, 06:52:14 PM by MaxQue »

There were an additional 28 deputy shadow ministers for a grand total of 83 in the official opposition shadow cabinet or caucus officers.

These are the 36 Conservative M.Ps left out:
British Columbia
1.Rob Morrison
2.Mark Strahl
3.Mark Dalton

Alberta
4.Chris Warkentin
5.Shannon Stubbs
6.Rachael Harder
7.Glen Motz
8.Arnold Viersen
9.Earl Dreeshen
10.Gerald Soroka
11.Michael Cooper
12.Greg McLean
13.Len Webber
14.Bob Benzen
15.Pat Kelly
16.Tom Kmiec
17.Ron Liepert

Saskatchewan
18.Rosemarie Falk
19.Kelly Block
20.Jeremy Patzer
21.Robert Kitchener
22.Cathay Wagantall
23.Michael Kram

Manitoba
24.Dan Mazier
25.Ted Falk
26.Marty Morantz

Ontario
27.Cheryl Gallant
28.Alex Ruff
29.Kyle Seeback
30.Dean Allison
31.Leslyn Lewis
32.Dave MacKenzie
33.Marilyn Gladu
34.Colin Carrie

Quebec
35.Joel Godin

New Brunswick
36.John Williamson

Some of them are not really left out, as the Deputy Speaker (Bruce Stanton retired, so maybe Joel Godin or Marc Dalton?) is not named yet, neither are commission chairs (Warkentin was Ethics chair, Gladu was Status of Women chair (through I assume she will be replaced), Kitchen (not Kitchener) was chair of Government Operations, Block was chair of Public Accounts and Allison was co-chair of Regulations).

The new Ethics chair is Pat Kelly (Calgary Rocky Ridge). Karen Vecchio for Status of Women. Government Operations and Public Accounts first meeting is on Thursday.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2021, 09:48:37 AM »

There were an additional 28 deputy shadow ministers for a grand total of 83 in the official opposition shadow cabinet or caucus officers.

British Columbia
1.Rob Morrison
2.Mark Strahl
3.Mark Dalton

Alberta
4.Chris Warkentin
5.Shannon Stubbs
6.Rachael Harder
7.Glen Motz
8.Arnold Viersen
9.Earl Dreeshen
10.Gerald Soroka
11.Michael Cooper
12.Greg McLean
13.Len Webber
14.Bob Benzen
15.Pat Kelly
16.Tom Kmiec
17.Ron Liepert

Saskatchewan
18.Rosemarie Falk
19.Kelly Block
20.Jeremy Patzer
21.Robert Kitchener
22.Cathay Wagantall
23.Michael Kram

Manitoba
24.Dan Mazier
25.Ted Falk
26.Marty Morantz

Ontario
27.Cheryl Gallant
28.Alex Ruff
29.Kyle Seeback
30.Dean Allison
31.Leslyn Lewis
32.Dave MacKenzie
33.Marilyn Gladu
34.Colin Carrie

Quebec
35.Joel Godin

New Brunswick
36.John Williamson

Some of them are not really left out, as the Deputy Speaker (Bruce Stanton retired, so maybe Joel Godin or Marc Dalton?) is not named yet, neither are commission chairs (Warkentin was Ethics chair, Gladu was Status of Women chair (through I assume she will be replaced), Kitchen (not Kitchener) was chair of Government Operations, Block was chair of Public Accounts and Allison was co-chair of Regulations).

The new Ethics chair is Pat Kelly (Calgary Rocky Ridge). Karen Vecchio (Elgin-Middlesex-London) for Status of Women. Government Operations and Public Accounts first meeting is on Thursday.

Public Accounts chair is Tom Kmiec (Calgary Shepard) and Robert Kitchen has been returned as Government Operations chair.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2021, 07:14:34 PM »

British Columbia
1.Rob Morrison
2.Mark Strahl
3.Mark Dalton

Alberta
4.Chris Warkentin
5.Shannon Stubbs
6.Rachael Harder
7.Glen Motz
8.Arnold Viersen
9.Earl Dreeshen
10.Gerald Soroka
11.Michael Cooper
12.Greg McLean
13.Len Webber
14.Bob Benzen
15.Pat Kelly
16.Tom Kmiec
17.Ron Liepert

Saskatchewan
18.Rosemarie Falk
19.Kelly Block
20.Jeremy Patzer
21.Robert Kitchener
22.Cathay Wagantall
23.Michael Kram

Manitoba
24.Dan Mazier
25.Ted Falk
26.Marty Morantz

Ontario
27.Cheryl Gallant
28.Alex Ruff
29.Kyle Seeback
30.Dean Allison
31.Leslyn Lewis
32.Dave MacKenzie
33.Marilyn Gladu
34.Colin Carrie

Quebec
35.Joel Godin

New Brunswick
36.John Williamson

The new Ethics chair is Pat Kelly (Calgary Rocky Ridge). Karen Vecchio (Elgin-Middlesex-London) for Status of Women. Government Operations and Public Accounts first meeting is on Thursday.

Public Accounts chair is Tom Kmiec (Calgary Shepard) and Robert Kitchen has been returned as Government Operations chair.

Thanks! Surprised Marty Morantz wasn't elected Public Accounts Chair.

He is not even sitting on that committee, he is only seating on the Foreign Affairs committee (of which he is vice-chair).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2022, 03:51:56 PM »

Quebec will introduce an "health contribution", which is pretty much a tax on unvaccinated people.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2022, 04:10:43 PM »

Quebec will introduce an "health contribution", which is pretty much a tax on unvaccinated people.

It's already having some positive impacts in increasing the uptake of vaccines, but I do think it's fair to ask "how much is too much" at this point. I think it's also important to point out that, if the justification for these measures is protecting healthcare capacity (which I think is a very good reason and why I go back and forth on this), the next step has to be to increase and improve healthcare capacity, because Canadian healthcare has shown its inadequacy in dealing with crises without governments resorting to lockdown measures at a point when most of our counterparts have moved past that.

The provinces bear a lot of blame on this front, and from an Ontario perspective, Ford hasn't given me any reason to trust his judgement. I'm leaning towards voting NDP this year, even though I don't like much of their platform. But at the federal level, I don't understand why there isn't more pressure on the Liberals to increase healthcare transfers. The standard response from LPC partisans is "lol do u really trust Ford and Kenney to follow through?" Maybe not, but that's an issue for provincial elections. Frankly, all the money this government has spent on piecemeal social programs could have been put to better use by actually creating the conditions for provincial governments to improve healthcare delivery.

The main problem is that provinces will refuse any conditions on the money and half of them will probably use the transferts to cut taxes or fund stupid novelty projects.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2022, 03:22:46 PM »

Seems the Pq will need a new leader after the elction, as the PQ leader announced he will run in Bourget, a CAQ held seat in Montréal.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2022, 10:12:39 AM »

Well, Trudeau is hiding in a bunker away from the protests.

This day will go down in infamy as did the beginning of the Malheur incident. Instead of the Canadian government standing their ground, they are passively letting it get worse in hopes it dies down to a more manageable state. This cowardice will just embolden them there as they did here. Just take the pain and solve it right then and there by getting the truckers out of Ottawa immediately, because it is now too late to just block them from coming.

He is mainly hiding because some members of his household have COVID.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2022, 08:11:13 PM »

What is Trudeau doing?

Don’t give these rabble an inch. You need to respond swiftly, without any prior warning, and without any recourse. Confiscate their trucks with civil asset forfeiture, suspend their commercial driving licenses, and send in the Army to move the trucks out of the way. Then, round up and throw the ringleaders in jail, shut down any media outlets emboldening or supporting them, and track down any other dissenters.

These petulant f#%ks deserve to be put in their place for daring to endanger the supply chains that feed millions of Canadians, all to stroke their egos with this petty little “protest”. You have no right to be a plague rat, and in fact, refusing to institute any sort of mandates would be negligence on the part of the government.

Make them answer for why they want millions of Canadians to starve and be unable to access basic goods and services. Make them answer for their childish behavior in refusing to take a vaccine that has been administered hundreds of millions of times, with barely any adverse consequences. Make them answer for why they want to exacerbate the worst supply chain crisis that country has endured in decades. Make them answer for why they believe their individual freedom is transcendental, and gives them carte blanche to infringe on those of others.

No sympathy for these truckers. F#%k around and find out.

Both civil forfeiture and driver licences are provincial powers and courts would look very badly on any political use of any of the solutions you proposed.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2022, 10:07:04 AM »

Trudeau has COVID.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2022, 06:19:42 PM »

I think you mean Kim Campbell or Stockwell Day.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2022, 11:54:37 PM »

By the way, the argument that "freedom of _____ doesn't mean freedom from consequences" does not justify the use of force, if you genuinely support that freedom. If the state is willing to use force to stop something, by definition, you don't have the freedom to do it. It's like saying you have the freedom to rob a bank, but the consequence is that you'll go to jail...well then you're not free to rob a bank, are you?

The fact of the matter is, Canadians are allowed to demonstrate. Your cause is irrelevant, you have the right to protest the government through public demonstration. What you're not allowed to do is commit crimes and endanger the lives of other people. To the extent that these protestors are committing crimes and violence, by all means, lock those people up. If a riot breaks out, by all means, send in the riot police to break them up.

Some of the things that Ottawans are complaining about - the noise, the inconvenience...yeah, that's what a protest is meant to do. That is the very essence of protest. The violation of public health rules, I mean, so did the BLM protests but most reasonable people can agree that the right to gather and protest is more important than COVID protocol. Other issues like harassment and hate crimes should be prosecuted, but when these things happen, you prosecute the individuals doing these things.

I get that most of us don't agree with the message and tactics of these protestors, I really do. I have concerns over some of the recent public health measures, but these protestors are going about it in a pretty stupid way, and in any case I think "ending all public health measures" would be a stupid, irresponsible decision. But the right to protest doesn't end where your disagreements begin, we have clear standards and principles to decide these things, and those principles have to be applied universally and in an unbiased manner. Frankly, if you think that violence should be used to break up a non-violent protest that you disagree with, that's an admission that you don't really believe in liberal values. If you don't, by all means, you're entitled to your opinions. But many of the people who are calling for the use of force do identify as liberals, small or big L, and that view is not consistent with what they purport to believe.

Like a politician said today, a demonstration has a beginning and an end. This is not a demonstration anymore, it stopped being one on Sunday evening.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2022, 12:58:00 PM »

Erin O'Toole is officially out. 73 to 45.

RIP Conservative Party. Reform is back.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2022, 12:32:14 PM »

The number of CPC memberships has increased over the last couple of days according to Global News.

Probably PPC entryism, Militant-style.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2022, 06:43:25 PM »

And now Bergen purged all Francophones from the leadership team.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2022, 08:33:41 AM »

Seems sketchy. How many were there?

1, Gérard Deltell, now there is none, which isn't surprising given the reports in Quebec news she has the repute of being quite anti-French and anti-bilinguism.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2022, 06:39:39 PM »

Seems sketchy. How many were there?

1, Gérard Deltell, now there is none, which isn't surprising given the reports in Quebec news she has the repute of being quite anti-French and anti-bilinguism.
With such a small sample size, it's hard to say that the motivation is related to him being Quebecois and not perhaps something to do with him personally, something he believes in, something he's said, the way he behaves. If they plan to add or replace people moving forward, let's see if they add francophones.

Pro-trucker MAGA hat lady has a track record, she doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2022, 10:06:52 PM »

Pierre Poilievre has announced he's running for "Prime Minister", without even mentioning Conservative leader. He's obviously doing the Trump strategy of gutting the party as an institution and turning it into his personality cult. Also, he may need to remember that his own constituents are also Ottawans who also incensed by what occurring in the downtown core, and that he came within a heartbeat of having to find an actual job in 2015.

Are the electoral boundaries getting redrawn before 2025? If he wants to eliminate the slim possibility of losing his riding, he could use that as an excuse to move to a safer one. He should be pretty safe though, and if he loses badly enough to lose his own riding maybe he would want to be out of politics.

They should, the commissionners were appointed last November.

In other news, Kevin Falcon is now the BC Liberals leader.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2022, 10:09:32 AM »

Pierre Poilievre has announced he's running for "Prime Minister", without even mentioning Conservative leader. He's obviously doing the Trump strategy of gutting the party as an institution and turning it into his personality cult. Also, he may need to remember that his own constituents are also Ottawans who also incensed by what occurring in the downtown core, and that he came within a heartbeat of having to find an actual job in 2015.

Are the electoral boundaries getting redrawn before 2025? If he wants to eliminate the slim possibility of losing his riding, he could use that as an excuse to move to a safer one. He should be pretty safe though, and if he loses badly enough to lose his own riding maybe he would want to be out of politics.

Not sure of the exact figures but it seems plausible to me that Ottawa has enough population that means one riding (almost certainly his) will take in parts of rural Eastern Ontario outside the city limits.

We don't have numbers yet, so it's all guesswork. We are getting them next week, through (the 9th).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2022, 09:38:20 PM »

There is a simple solution. Justin just keeps to stop whimpering and give the local police forces the help they need.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2022, 06:41:38 PM »

Ontario government got an court order freezing the GiveSendGo funds.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2022, 11:54:42 AM »

Ford declared the state of emergency, will publish degrees later banning blocking or slowing down traffic of persons, goods and services on the border, the 400s highways, harbours, bridges and railroads, with fines of up to 100000$, 1 year in jail and the suspension of both personal driver licences and commercial trucking licences of violators.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2022, 04:41:50 PM »

Safe to say that Canada is a full out communist country now

Lol settle down there bud

Imagine if a conservative PM enacted the Emergency Act for the BLM protests.
That would have been fine? If the BLM protestors were occupying a city or doing something to threaten the economy. I wouldn't have had any issue with that.

For sure, like what they did in Seattle. BLM protests have never been particularly big or troublesome in Canada anyway. These occupier yahoos need to go though. I want my city back! 

..In Seattle the protests were centered on a city park in a portion of the city that was for the most part shut down already due to Covid - Capitol Hill is an entertainment district with bars/restaurants/clubs/etc. At that time it was close to a ghost town. Meanwhile, in that case the protesters did things like spoken word and music concerts.. not quite the same as what's happening in Ottawa. Though, it did start to get violent at night, which is when the city chose to step in and clear everything out.

Well have we had any documented cases of deaths and rapes at the Ottawa protests yet?

The police just found guns, thousands of rounds of ammunition and bulletproof vests in trucks at the Coutts protest.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2022, 06:40:14 PM »

This is not the country I grew up in.  Another sad day toward Canada's demise.

Wondering if I need to flee the country soon.  Might go to the UK as my mother was born there, and I believe that's the easiest visa short term.  Any other freedom lovers considering leaving?

Honestly, good riddance.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2022, 10:04:00 PM »

There is no impeachment in Canada, which means that you are supporting an unconstitutional coup against the elected Canadian government.

Western Canada should secede and The US should help them become their own nation

They never would, as British Columbia wouldn't follow them and the new country would be landlocked.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2022, 09:51:57 AM »

That is blatantly false LMAO.

was it trump who fired his attorney general to hide the corruption of SNC Lavalin?
was it trump who fired lost his finance minister to scandal, his defense minister who had to be demoted
was it trump who invoked the US insurrection act against actual rioters?
was it trump who didnt produce a federal budget for 2 years?
was it trump who brought a terrorist/murderer to his india trip?

Nope all were the cdn turd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNnVD_tLDzg

1. Every single country in the world does protect its multinationals by making deals. By refusing to make a deal, Wilson-Raybauld (one of the worst Attorney General ever) put her ego over her job. The media only got upset because they can't accept that Quebec has a successful business instead of Bay Street.
2. Trump had to replace way more Cabinet members than Trudeau.
5. We have no need for Hindu nationalists (and their lies and anti-Sikh racism) in Canada.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies