Ilhan Omar's latest anti-Semitic comments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 09:30:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ilhan Omar's latest anti-Semitic comments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
Author Topic: Ilhan Omar's latest anti-Semitic comments  (Read 13027 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2019, 08:38:44 PM »

Even if using the Nazi-linked term "blood and soil" to refer to Israeli policy isn't antisemitic, it's at the very least in extremely bad taste.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2019, 08:38:57 PM »

Here's a good idea for a drinking game: take a shot every time Ray Goldfield feels the need to call something anti-Semitic

I was wondering why you felt so familiar. Now I know exactly who you are.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #227 on: February 14, 2019, 09:02:42 PM »

Even if using the Nazi-linked term "blood and soil" to refer to Israeli policy isn't antisemitic, it's at the very least in extremely bad taste.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2019, 09:51:35 PM »

I also notice that people have continually ignored Omar's earlier tweet about Israel, and her claim that it has "hypnotized" the world.

And you’re the best judge of somebody else’s poor choice of words, yes?

Say what you will about Trump, but border security and illegal immigration are issues that will ultimately require a final solution. Such a final solution can only come through a more comprehensive immigration reform bill.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2019, 10:07:19 PM »

Bernie called Omar to offer her support.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bernie-sanders-called-ilhan-omar-to-offer-his-support-amid-anti-semitism-controversy?via=desktop&social=Reddit
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2019, 11:11:44 PM »

Given his unambiguous endorsement of Corbyn, that's not a point in her favor.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2019, 11:14:01 PM »

Are you claiming that Bernie is an anti-semite now?
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #232 on: February 14, 2019, 11:27:37 PM »

I don't know whether he is, but I do know he had no issue endorsing an unambiguous antisemite. So a slightly more ambiguous antisemite should be no problem.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2019, 11:29:00 PM »

I don't know whether he is, but I do know he had no issue endorsing an unambiguous antisemite. So a slightly more ambiguous antisemite should be no problem.

He comes from a Jewish family you imbecile.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #234 on: February 14, 2019, 11:30:20 PM »

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you think Corbyn is a less ambiguous antisemite than Omar, since you also think he's a less ambiguous antisemite than Linda Sarsour somehow.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #235 on: February 14, 2019, 11:53:36 PM »

So do Gilad Atzmon and Shlomo Sand.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2019, 12:07:54 AM »

Time to take a shot, folks.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #237 on: February 15, 2019, 12:23:16 AM »

Yeah, crazy that someone would be talking antisemitism in a thread about antisemitism.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #238 on: February 15, 2019, 12:36:01 AM »

Yeah, crazy that someone would be talking antisemitism in a thread about antisemitism.

Almost all of your posts from the past two days have been hurling various charges of anti-Semitism at people, both on this thread and on others. It might be time to give it a rest at a certain point
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #239 on: February 15, 2019, 12:41:33 AM »

Almost all of your posts from the past two days have been hurling various charges of anti-Semitism at people, both on this thread and on others. It might be time to give it a rest at a certain point

Nah. But I appreciate you being a pretty obvious sock.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2019, 01:40:10 AM »

Without getting into Omar's tweets specifically, whether or not there was racist subtext or tropes, how she went about getting her point across, all of that... the mainstream media has been relatively silent on this one simple fact. Simply criticizing the Israeli government in and of itself is NOT anti-semetic or racist, and anybody who says otherwise is trying to sell you something. A government is an organization of people (with power) whose actions cannot be blamed on an entire country full of civilians, and people who share that ethnic makeup living abroad.

HOW you critcize Israel can certainly be racist or anti-semetic, obviously.

Newsweek reported the other day that Omar's comments have received 5 times as much coverage on cable news than Steve Kings explicit defense of white supremacy. I don't think we can accuse the media of having been silent on the matter.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2019, 01:49:23 AM »

Without getting into Omar's tweets specifically, whether or not there was racist subtext or tropes, how she went about getting her point across, all of that... the mainstream media has been relatively silent on this one simple fact. Simply criticizing the Israeli government in and of itself is NOT anti-semetic or racist, and anybody who says otherwise is trying to sell you something. A government is an organization of people (with power) whose actions cannot be blamed on an entire country full of civilians, and people who share that ethnic makeup living abroad.

Newsweek reported the other day that Omar's comments have received 5 times as much coverage on cable news than Steve Kings explicit defense of white supremacy. I don't think we can accuse the media of having been silent on the matter.
I'm accusing the mainstream media of letting viewers that think "condemning the Israeli government in any way whatsoever automatically equals racism" continue to think that. It's just completely illogical on it's face, but explaining the nuance to their viewers is a "no go" for them. That would essentially be telling the viewers that in certain contexts, it's okay to criticize Israel.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2019, 02:02:31 AM »

Considering how few journalists/media owners of color exist in comparison with white/Jewish ones, that's not a surprise.
It's also a reason why voter suppression gets minimal coverage from the same media.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2019, 03:41:17 AM »

Well, this thread is a bit of a dumpster fire. Kudos to the few voices of reason taking the energy to engage with the trolls of various shades. Good to see that some people take anti-semitism seriously.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2019, 03:59:23 AM »

I'm accusing the mainstream media of letting viewers that think "condemning the Israeli government in any way whatsoever automatically equals racism" continue to think that. It's just completely illogical on it's face, but explaining the nuance to their viewers is a "no go" for them. That would essentially be telling the viewers that in certain contexts, it's okay to criticize Israel.

Nobody has ever said that except for anti-Semites dressing up their disdain for Jews as opposition to Israel, which begs the question: do you hate Jews, or are you just willfully ignorant?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2019, 04:25:27 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2019, 04:29:21 AM by King TChenka »

Nobody has ever said that except for anti-Semites dressing up their disdain for Jews as opposition to Israel, which begs the question: do you hate Jews, or are you just willfully ignorant?
I don't hate jews or any ethnic / religious group. I support a two-state solution and my booty call is Israeli. There is legislation now or recently being pushed for to make boycotting Israel illegal in the senate and house of representatives. Opposition to this bill has been heavily implied to be racist.

I haven't followed it closely enough to know if it went through or didn't go through, or the current status of it. I believe though that some version of it actually went through on some level, as I listened to a discussion about a Palestinian-American special needs teacher being let go for not signing paperwork indicating that she will not boycott Israel. That was from The Majority Report With Sam Seder right around the time of PAYGO last month. I don't have a reference link handy.

I did some quick digging and found this article with some details from The Times Of Israel, likely not an anti-jewish media outlet based on their name.

(www dot ) timesofisrael.com/push-for-anti-bds-bill-in-congress-exposes-rift-among-jewish-progressives/

I don't have 20 posts yet so I can't post the URL as a hyperlink. (edited this post for spelling)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2019, 03:43:48 AM »

Just to recap a couple things real quick:

Fuzzy Bear and Calthrina: "Ilhan Omar's choice of language about Israel and AIPAC reeks of antisemitism!"

Fuzzy Bear on immigration: "Those illegals are crashing our border like mindless zombies!"
Calthrina on immigration: "What we need is a final solution to this problem."

Donald Trump, every other day:  [something antisemitic], [something racist], [something sexist]
Fuzzy Bear: "Trump doesn't need to apologize; his opponents would never accept it, and that's their problem, not his."

Fuzzy Bear and Calthrina: "Omar needs to apologize!"
* Omar apologizes *
Fuzzy Bear: "I don't accept her fake apology.  She should be stripped of her committee assignments."

I think that about sums things up.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2019, 12:10:30 PM »

Just to recap a couple things real quick:

Fuzzy Bear and Calthrina: "Ilhan Omar's choice of language about Israel and AIPAC reeks of antisemitism!"

Fuzzy Bear on immigration: "Those illegals are crashing our border like mindless zombies!"
Calthrina on immigration: "What we need is a final solution to this problem."

Donald Trump, every other day:  [something antisemitic], [something racist], [something sexist]
Fuzzy Bear: "Trump doesn't need to apologize; his opponents would never accept it, and that's their problem, not his."

Fuzzy Bear and Calthrina: "Omar needs to apologize!"
* Omar apologizes *
Fuzzy Bear: "I don't accept her fake apology.  She should be stripped of her committee assignments."

I think that about sums things up.

Are you calling us racists? Is it because we don't buy into the narrative, common on this website, concerning topics such as immigration? Am I supposed to be an advocate for no limits whatsoever on this kind of practice? And am I supposed to take staunchly liberal positions on all of the issues? What do you want me to do? Should I change my avatar, become a staunch progressive, and harass the Republican members of this board?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #248 on: February 16, 2019, 12:37:32 PM »

Steve King, of course, has been effectively disciplined by his party, having been stripped of his committee assignments.

Ilhan Omar remains unsanctioned.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #249 on: February 16, 2019, 01:22:45 PM »

Steve King, of course, has been effectively disciplined by his party, having been stripped of his committee assignments.

Ilhan Omar remains unsanctioned.

Steve King should have been disciplined 10 years ago. No cookie points for doing the right thing with such delay.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies